• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I decided to start Dark Souls 2 - SotfS

SantaC

And apparently the online component is removed, and there is no ETA when it is up again. What kind of bullshit is this? I read it was because of a securiry issue, but it was discovered 6 months ago. You are telling me that they couldnt patch this issue in a halfyears timeframe?

I feel robbed.

Jennings

Luckily the campaign in still available, and your copy of the game isn't going anywhere. You're free to play as much as you like, and if multiplayer ever comes back online you'll have tons of practice under your belt to be somewhat competitive.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah luckily single player is available for a game I payed for. What kind of post is this?
I mean, it does suck that online isn’t sorted yet, especially if you bought it primarily with that in mind.

But there’s a whole lot of game there even just with the SP, especially as I’m guessing you probably snagged it for pretty cheap at this point.

SantaC

I mean, it does suck that online isn’t sorted yet, especially if you bought it primarily with that in mind.

But there’s a whole lot of game there even just with the SP, especially as I’m guessing you probably snagged it for pretty cheap at this point.
The game is still 40 euro on steam 🤣 i wouldnt call cheap for an entire component gone.

Noone should defend this bullshit. Imagine if this was EA.

Last edited:
Yeah luckily single player is available for a game I payed for. What kind of post is this?
I guess Dark Souls 1 and 3 are also going into the trash bin for you as the same thing happened to them.

Anyways, PC game prices outside of sales are overinflated by publishers and support past release window is limited to covering their asses legally (i.e. removing copyrighted material with time limited inclusion deal or removing componenents with potential for lawsuits).

P.S. I personally like Scholar of the First Sin the best of the trilogy, but you do you.

Last edited:

SantaC

Fume Knight is ready to kick your butt op. Get ready!
Well i cant summon anymore so he might kick my butt.

Also people forget that covenants are now useless and there exclusive items locked behind them.

But hey cant critcize a fromsoft game I guess.

Covenant items are still on the table as a ghost Chancellor in Drangleic Castle sells them in NG++ for those covenants that do not have farmable items to level up with (i.e. Brotherhood of Blood and Blue Sentinels). It is worth noting that Bell Keeper covenant leveling offline involves killing Mad Warrior invader in Bellfry Sol repeatedly.

The only thing you will be missing out on is Ring of Thorns +2 as it requires 200 invasions.

P.S. It is worth mentioning that the covenants themselves involved absurd amounts of grinding even online. Seeing as getting banned is no longer a concern there are Trainers (external cheat applications) that can give you items that require excessive grinding.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member

Also people forget that covenants are now useless and there exclusive items locked behind them.

You can find people to play with by just asking on Reddit, even for the PS3 version. EDIT: ok it's abot the servers being down on PC. Nevermind. Also, everything locked behind covenant ranks can be obtained in singe player

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Fighting Fume Knight with A.I. NPCs is suicide, you're better off solo'ing him.

I remember him giving me a really hard time years ago, but I recently played it and beaten it on PC (NG and NG+) and he wasn't near as hard as I remember him.
There are some other fights which are flat-out maddening, though. Like the two black tigers in the ice DLC stage.

Dark Souls II is basically all about fighting enemies one-on-one. Don't rush through its dungeons, it's suicide.

Also, if you kill an enemy 10-15 times, they despawn from the game unless you burn a specific item in the bonfire or enter the Covenant of Masochism in Majula.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So many people tell me this game is underrated and underappreciated. Disagree. I could not get into and was turned off by the horribly disjointed world. It's easily my least favorite souls game and I'll straight up say I don't like it at all.

I hope you will discover the magic I never could.

Last edited:
Back when I was in college I didn’t have money for Xbox live so I played Dark Souls 1 and 2 solo on the 360. Playing single player isn’t so bad; you only have to worry about NPC invasions, and if you feel like it you can use NPC summons, though you may want to use a guide to make sure you don’t miss some.

Honestly I kinda prefer playing in offline mode because I don’t have to see a million messages littering the landscape. But if you were specifically trying to co-op with a friend that does suck. Do you have a PS4/Xbone (or BC on PS5/XSX) to play it on? The online for those are still up.

Summons are extremely usefull in fights with multiple bosses. The two black tigers are one of those fights. The NPC summons serve that purpose well.

The veneer of lifelessness is surface level. The deeper you get into its unique gameplay mechanics, the more difficult it is to overlook the flaws of the other games. The item use speed and invincibility frames being tied to Adaptability stat is the real barrier to entry. Past 30 Adaptability the game stands up well.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

The game overdoes it with mobs and can be quite unfair and unforgiving at times, and the enemies always look like they combo you way more easy than you ever would.

Nonetheless, even the worst Souls game from FROM is a good game. I enjoy it, despite its faults.

Raphael

DS2 was my 1st souls and had a lot of fun with it. But in retrospect many of the locations are not very good, and world connections often doesnt make any sense.
Howver overall its worth playing. Its fun.

I remember i spent so much time trying to defeat the pursuer. Dude was very rough with my souls virgin ass.

Last edited:
So many people tell me this game is underrated and underappreciated. Disagree. I could not get into and was turned off by the horribly disjointed world. It's easily my least favorite souls game and I'll straight up say I don't like it at all.

I hope you will discover the magic I never could.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I personally couldn't get any enjoyment out of this game. I think it's a joke, it straight out sucks. I think it's infinitely worse than all the other Souls games and just.. A bad game, period. I can't believe how anyone could even begin to compare it to them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I personally couldn't get any enjoyment out of this game. I think it's a joke, it straight out sucks. I think it's infinitely worse than all the other Souls games and just.. A bad game, period. I can't believe how anyone could even begin to compare it to them.
I never tried out the DLC, which I've heard is easily the best content in the game. Wont try it out.

Plantoid

Best game in the series, I'm sorry you didn't know about the online being down, it's been in the news since January I believe, one more reason why I left PC gaming, it's never easy, everything needs a tweak and a Google search, I'm out

Codes 208

Says quite a few of us actually. DS2 has a lot of good things going for it, and while its got its faults so do the other titles in the series.
Its very unfairly maligned in my opinion and a huge amount of its DNA has ended up in Elden Ring.
This could be said about all the souls games. Hell many of the attack animations were ripped from DS3

Last edited:
i'm glad i never listened to people like you. dark souls 2 isn't a bad game. it has some issues for sure but totally worth playing.
Yeah I was put off for the longest time but it actually ended up being one of my favourite Dark Souls games. Took me a while to adjust, and some of the bosses are super tough but it's got some really neat concepts.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I personally despise SoftS, but I hope you enjoy your time with it.

I'm a Souls fan, but if I was still actively playing the online parts of that game I'd be annoyed too. You are justified in not being happy, From not patching the PC versions to restore what they push as an integral part of the series is unacceptable. It's only because of the adoration they get that it's overlooked.

And apparently the online component is removed, and there is no ETA when it is up again. What kind of bullshit is this? I read it was because of a securiry issue, but it was discovered 6 months ago. You are telling me that they couldnt patch this issue in a halfyears timeframe?

I feel robbed.
I assume you mean PC. Yup, they're all down, possibly permanently, on PC.

rofif

Banned
It's my fav souls. Just keep open minded about it.
Online is off on pc. still on on consoles...
anyway - I prefer vanilla version over sotfs. sotfs just added more enemies and shuffled them into more asshole traps.
and I am not a fan of the DLC. It's asshole trap city and your gear does not scale well for it. It's just annoying and feels like some weird puzzle levels.

but vanilla DS2? Love it to death.
Don't get me wrong. SOTFS is also fantastic... just feel free to skip the dlc if it starts to annoy you

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
No chance of getting invaded is a plus in my book. I always play Souls offline. But yeah, getting it completely removed and knowing full well that nobody at FS is gonna give a damn sucks.

rofif

Banned
No chance of getting invaded is a plus in my book. I always play Souls offline. But yeah, getting it completely removed and knowing full well that nobody at FS is gonna give a damn sucks.
Ds2 online is the best online in the series for pvp.
Ds3 online is the best online in the series for helping people with bosses.

DavidGzz

Souls are best with mods so no loss. I never play them online on PC. Find some mods to download and enjoy.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ds2 online is the best online in the series for pvp.
Ds3 online is the best online in the series for helping people with bosses.
I don’t doubt this.
I just never saw the appeal of multiplayer in Souls. The few times I didn’t bother to select offline mode I got invaded by people in the worst possible locations. I never bothered about PVP, so of course I was never equipped for that and just wasted my time getting chased and killed. Also, PVP is the whole reason Souls games keep getting patched with buffs and nerfs that get rid of some elements that can be very interesting in PvE. So yeah, it boils down to me wanting you all to stop having fun with online while I’m trying to enjoy single player, thanks 😊

Top Bottom