• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how do we win the right of Digital Resale? (selling used digital games)

I imagine there's been a thread about this before, but I didn't find anything at a glance... there's thishttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521169, but we'll see if that ever happens. Hopefully it does. There's also this thread, but as I say at the end of this post, I don't think Microsoft ever had any plans to do such a thing, unfortunately. My thread here has a more general focus.

With the defeat of the XO's online-check DRM system, console gaming looks to be staying the same next gen. The online DRM future may be coming, but it's been pushed back a bit.

However, all consoles have online stores, and PC gaming is quite heavily focused on online-check DRM now. There is no 24-hour checkup, of course; instead, games simply lock to your account upon purchase. Some current-era PC games do not have this DRM, but between MMOs, Steamworks, Origin, and UPlay, to name the most prominent ones, a quite substantial number of games now are locked to a single account, even if you bought a physical copy of the game. You may be able to sell (or give away) your Microsoft, Sony, Steam, GOG, Origin, UPlay, Blizzard, or whatever, account online, but you can't sell individual titles. This means the the right of ownership has been substantially surrendered for all digitally purchased games. It's even worse for Nintendo, of course, where games are locked to a specific system, not an account. There you have to sell the physical console in order to sell your digitally purchased games.

So, online DRM or no, the one major piece missing from all digital-purchases stores, even "DRM-free" ones like Good Old Games, is that there is no legal resale of digitally purchased games. That's not "DRM-free" in my book, GOG... no resale and that games are all permanently locked to my account is just another form of DRM. Some people don't call that DRM, and that's okay, but the point is, there's no resale, even on "DRM-free" online stores.

If people believe that it's okay to only own limited, non-separable licenses of games, and not actually truly having your rights for anything that you have spent money on, that's your decision, but I quite strongly disagree. We have rights, and there should not be a separate set of rights for digital purchases. Just because you don't get a physical object does not mean that it should be treated as a separate, and lesser, category of (non-)ownership.

Now, I know that in the EU some court cases about digital ownership have happened. I hope that the EU eventually forces companies into allowing digital resale. In the interim, though, something needs to be done. I understand that mentally people think that they own things they can see, but maybe not quite as much with things that are only bytes on a hard disk (or 'the cloud'), but if you've bought it, you SHOULD have that same degree of ownership rights that you do with discs.

Now, I'd guess that on, say, GOG, the answer is "well, there is no DRM on the games themselves, so if we allowed resale, how could we ever know if the person didn't just keep a copy?" However, piracy on the PC has always been very easy. It's even easier now. Adding this really wouldn't change much. Sure people could buy a game, sell it, and keep a copy, but right now they can download a game illegally and play it. There's already so much piracy on the PC that this wouldn't change much; all it'd do is make it like it used to be, when various attempts at PC DRM or disc checks were always easily defeated by consumers who wanted to keep their game and then resell the original, DRM or no. It's always been like that on the PC. And anyway, as selling a digital game obviously requires an online connection, for systems that do have DRM, such as consoles, Steamworks, etc., it'd surely be quite easy to implement a system where your right to the game is removed since you have sold it. I guess there could be workarounds (this is why MS did that awful 24-hour checkup thing, after all, to remove the chance of someone going offline and keeping a game that they have resold), but who'd want to keep their system permanently offline? Because as soon as you go online again, it'd be removed of course. Abuse of this would be limited; most people want to be online on a regular basis. And people who never were online to begin with wouldn't have this option anyway, so things would stay the same for them. Anyway, overall, ironically, only "DRM-free" presents a problem here -- but again, even there, it's just the same situation PC gaming has been in since the beginning, so it's nothing new, and I can't possibly see it to leading to more piracy than we have.

I understand that there are issues that would have to be worked out with this, but it's actually not impossible. I can think of a couple of options. First, most obviously, within each system (Steam, or Origin, or UPlay, or Battle.net, or what have you), there could be some kind of used marketplace, where people selling accounts could sell them, and others could buy. This would keep games locked within the store they were purchased in, though; that's fine for games with DRM that requires them to use that system anyway, but for games that do not, such as non-Steamworks games sold on Steam, that would be frustrating. Still, it would be a major step forward and would be much better than nothing.

Alternatively, there could be some variant of MS's now-dead Xbox One DRM system, where you could sell your game (somehow, I'm sure it could be worked out) to any authorized reseller. You'd need this because since games have keys, you can't just resell the game... and the idea of just being able to un-license keys, which surely would be possible and would allow resale, is flawed, I think, because there'd be no way to know if the person you're buying from actually unlicensed the key or not. But some kind of system like this is not impossible, and would work. It would be limited versus the infinite resale possibilities of disc games, but when you're talking about digital purchases you're talking about registered keys instead of physical discs, so it's trickier to deal with. Trickier but not impossible, though.

Finally, there's the "DRM-free" version, that I don't think any publisher would like, but would be pretty awesome. Each store would just allow people to either sell games back to the store, or to a used marketplace in the store. Anyone else could then buy the one they're selling. I don't know about cuts for the publisher; they want them, I'm sure, but that'd be saying that I didn't actually own the game, only a license to it that I'm now revoking. True ownership would mean resale where the seller and the store get the profits, not the publisher. I bought your game, it's not yours anymore.

For games with online-registered keys this is more complex, of course. Still though, digital games should not be lost forever once the rights to those games expire and it gets removed from sale online! Right now, there are many games on almost any digital store, PC or console, which are not available anymore. As of now, the only solution to that problem, unless there was a physical, non-internet-registered release of the game somewhere, is piracy. That is awful. You should be able to resell that game, regardless of its current new-sale state, as you can with physical products. So, people who don't own Outrun 2006 for Steam can't buy it now, but if I or any of the other people who do own it wanted to sell our copy to one of them, we should be able to. Of course if we're talking about a shut-down MMO there'd be no point to resale since it can't be used anyway, so getting keys for that kind of thing wouldn't be needed, but for any game not so limited, this MUST be an option in the future. As we move into a more and more digital world (like it or not, and I definitely do not like all of the effects of that, but it is happening), we can't lose the ability to legally play great games just because their rights expired, or their publisher closed and took their games with them! That is horrible. A solution, either one I mentioned or something else, needs to be found at some point.

(Oh, and for those who agree with that Gizmondo article that the Xbox One could have had digital resale, but us darn consumers' complaints foiled third party publishers' plans to set up license resale stores, or something... uh, I admire your degree of blind optimism, bu that was never going to happen. Why in the world would they set up a store to allow resale, when they could just make everyone buy full-price new digital copies of their games? That'd be financially crazy, unless the first-party publisher was pushing them into it... which MS was most definitely not doing.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I will say, until PC games started using Steamworks, Green Man Gaming actually had a system where you could "trade in" your "used" PC games for credit toward a new game on their store.

They would basically deactivate a game on your account and then sell that activation as "used" to another person. Of course, this wasn't surfaced as "used" on their store - what happened is that if there were used copies of the game in their system, the price of that game would drop slightly to reflect a "used" price.

Of course, once most games began to use Steam DRM, activating and deactivating games was out of their hands and that program basically died.

On PC, I don't think people are really interested in that kind of scheme - at least unless Valve is the one to do it themselves anyway.

KePoW

Banned
I don't really care too much, if you're referring to Steam.

I mean you can buy AAA games for 5 to 10 bucks, and you're worried about reselling those? Is someone really that hard up for money to do that?

Phawx

I mean you can buy AAA games for 5 to 10 bucks, and you're worried about reselling those? Is someone really that hard up for money to do that?

I think it's more about the first sale doctrine and principles for some people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

If you're willing to wait, sure. New games are still 50 bucks though. It's just that they come with Team Fortress hats if you preorder.

Jimrpg

i may be in the minority, but im fine with not reselling used digital games - you can't have it all ways. I generally don't buy until its super cheap anyway... im one of the poor ones who can't afford the latest releases so have to wait it out until its the right price.

You don't because it doesn't make sense. There's no such thing as a "used" digital game.

If the new product and used product are literally exactly the same what incentive could steam, origin, XBL, PSN, etc EVER have to allow you to purchase used copies at a lower price? The publishers on the service lose money. The service itself loses money. There's no reason for them to do it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
EU has been looking into this but steam is too small maybe to push on. When ps4 and Xbox one are out, it could be worth trying an online campaign to get support and then petition the EU to look into it

EMT0

Banned
i may be in the minority, but im fine with not reselling used digital games - you can't have it all ways. I generally don't buy until its super cheap anyway... im one of the poor ones who can't afford the latest releases so have to wait it out until its the right price.

You don't because it doesn't make sense. There's no such thing as a "used" digital game.

If the new product and used product are literally exactly the same hat incentive could steam, XBL, PSN, etc EVER have to allow you to purchase used copies at a lower price?

Basically this.

KePoW

Banned
I think it's more about the first sale doctrine and principles for some people.

Ok if that's the case, that's a pretty different & separate reason.

I'm not the type to care about principles in that manner, if it doesn't affect me in reality.

Is a digital game ever used?

This. I don't see how digital content can be considered "used". There is no degradation in quality or content. Hypothetically speaking... if I were to remove Watch_Dogs from my Steam account, then there is no physical change in any form to the content. Someone else can buy my license but it would be no different than buying new. There are no manuals, or boxes or things that can get damaged. So the only way I see it working is very small credit exchange for deactivated games.

Proelite

Digital games can't be "used". Until we have mechanisms that makes a digital game lose its core values if transfer of ownership occurs, it shouldn't happen.

if we want the right to transfer digital licenses, we have to keep asking for these rights.

we achieve this the same way we achieved DRM free music on iTunes. the same way we killed the policies on Xbox One we so hated.

we get this by demanding it in large enough numbers.

Is a digital game ever used?

My question too, something is "used" is not just because it was pre-played, but there's clearly differences, for one games are already opened and have been in the hands by the owner, as opposed to be freshly sealed in cellophane. Boxes, discs, manuals, etc can suffer as they can risk being worn, hell being on the shelf opened is very damaging to the material.

As a digital game has none of those, there's no difference between a new and used digital game, it's code, there's no change to it.

StuBurns

Banned
It will never happen. Luckily eight years from now HTPCs will be so cheap and powerful, and Linux will have gotten a hold on the PC core gaming audience, so we can all just leave consoles alone.

Isn't purchasing physical discs and digital downloads both technically just buying a license to play the game and other limited uses? There's just been little effort to enforce those licenses on physical copies in the past, and it looks like Microsoft isn't going to be able to enforce them in the near future either, but in general it's not just asking for digital downloads to retain the same "rights" as physical copies since you're asking for a universal change in how all licenses work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As I've said, Green Man Gaming, the place where people go to buy Steam games now because it's cheaper, has used games sales for their digital catalog.

It's actually still active. The problem is that no one wants to buy games that aren't Steam games, so that marketplace is dead.

I have like 3 dollars of credit that I can get if I "trade in" my games.

Anton668

just because it digital it cant be used? Are we defining "used" as in "wear and tear"?
seems to me if I bought it and played it, its used?
and what makes "IP" so special that we have to treat it as its own thing vs other goods bought and sold everyday? (serious question, I really want to know)

“Digital used products” make sense to EU courts apparently.

You could also give advantages to players purchasing brand new digital games, that wouldn't carry over if they sell their digital copy to someone else, thus simulating “used physical game” value deprecation. But I can already see it being abused by publishers to prevent people from buying digital copies…

I think that we really should be able to sell our accounts. I have no idea why it's against the TOS. Accounts are something that's actually easily transferable with no extra work from Steam or whoever, yet they will deactivate your account if they find out you've sold it. For some reason, it makes more sense to me to do that instead of re-selling CD/game keys.

If the new product and used product are literally exactly the same what incentive could steam, origin, XBL, PSN, etc EVER have to allow you to purchase used copies at a lower price? The publishers on the service lose money. The service itself loses money. There's no reason for them to do it.

They should at the very least allow you to transfer ownership to a different account. In effect creating a used game market.

Daylight

Gamers spoke, and they didn't want Microsoft's DRM/digital policies forced on them. Now that they've reversed course on that here's what I think they should do.

At some point introduce an OPT IN program, where your XBO is updated back to what Microsoft first envisioned. This will be like a beta, where they can see what works and what doesn't. Every console sold is still able to play offline and customer can sell, trade, and lend. But a customer has to opt in to the program, so no one is caught offguard. This way they can cultivate a community of gamers to go all digital and use word of mouth, if it is a success.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I figure I'd check my GMG account. It looks like the value of my games (which I got for free from various GMG promotions) have dropped. lol

ifZB7N2.png

But it is possible to do a trade in system. It's just a matter of someone "big" doing it. Right now, that's either Origin (haha) or Steam.

They need to find a way to depreciate the used copies or regulate the pricing.

The primary market will simply be unable to compete with the secondary market if DD license transfers were completely unregulated.

Imagine a used game license exchange site that connects buyers and sellers from every corner of the world. No need to maintain inventory, no products to inspect, no physical store front, no shipping costs, the cost of doing business would be as low as you could ever possibly imagine. The products you sell are 100 % identical to the more expensive brand new version. Every sale is instant and as convenient as buying a brand new copy. There is absolutely no incentive to buy new. Obviously, their inventory is tied to the new game sales so eventually both markets collapse.

Daylight

Another idea would be to create a digital marketplace for used games that were digitally downloaded, hopefully giving a cut to publishers. Even with that cut they could still probably beat what Gamestop gives you.

IMGF

Neo Member
I wouldn't mind seeing a trade system where you can just trade your games for other products or services in a client like Steam. If there's a way to remove a game from the library and replace it with what you traded, it could be handled better than just selling a game for money in which case the developers lose out.

I suppose you could argue that though that developers lose out with a trading system as well as less people would be buying games and just trading them back and forth with each other across a network of users, so I guess a fix for that would just to limit the ability to trade games to only a handful of times. That would drop the value of some copies of games more than others, and it would be harder for people to abuse the system too much if a game can only be traded like five times before being stuck in someone's library forever.

They need to find a way to depreciate the used copies or the primary market will simply be unable to compete with the secondary market if license transfers were completely unregulated.

Imagine a used game license exchange site the connects buyers and sellers from every corner of the world. No need to maintain inventory, no products to inspect, no physical store front. The products you sell are 100 % identical to the more expensive brand new version.
No, there's an important difference: Buying used removes that copy of the game from someone elses' account, while buying new does not do that. Even in digital used and new are not the same.

Also, old cartridge games can last a very long time. Batteries aside, many will continue to work long into the future. A lot of these places to buy digital games from won't last nearly so long. And digital games can degrade in value and in access, anyway -- if the site goes down, or if you can't access your account, or lose your password and can't recover it, or what have you, those games are gone, just like if you lost a physical game.

But anyway, just because physical games can degrade, while digital sort of can't, doesn't change that they're all purchases, and people have the right to sell things they have bought.

I figure I'd check my GMG account. It looks like the value of my games (which I got for free from various GMG promotions) have dropped. lol

ifZB7N2.png

But it is possible to do a trade in system. It's just a matter of someone "big" doing it. Right now, that's either Origin (haha) or Steam.
That's pretty cool... so you can sell games from your GMG account, as long as they're not DRM-restricted? All of the sites should have that feature! It's an important right, and we need it. Of course though, ways to resell those DRM-restricted games are needed too. And as you said, lots more games now have Steamworks.

Another idea would be to create a digital marketplace for used games that were digitally downloaded, hopefully giving a cut to publishers. Even with that cut they could still probably beat what Gamestop gives you.
As I said in the OP I'm reluctant about that one because it would mean surrendering the right of ownership (if the publisher gets a cut, did I ever actually own it?), but also, how about cases where the publisher goes bankrupt, or the game rights expire, like Outrun 2006 as I used for an example? Under your proposed system, that game would probably become un-resellable. That is horrible and a major, major problem.

I understand that publishers and developers should be compensated for their work, and they should, but access to games which have been released is also vitally important, as are consumer rights.

No, there's an important difference: Buying used removes that copy of the game from someone elses' account, while buying new does not do that. Even in digital used and new are not the same.

Also, old cartridge games can last a very long time. Batteries aside, many will continue to work long into the future. A lot of these places to buy digital games from won't last nearly so long. And digital games can degrade in value and in access, anyway -- if the site goes down, or if you can't access your account, or lose your password and can't recover it, or what have you, those games are gone, just like if you lost a physical game.

But anyway, just because physical games can degrade, while digital sort of can't, doesn't change that they're all purchases, and people have the right to sell things they have bought.

There are costs and limitations that exist when transferring ownership of physical goods that keep things in check that simple would not exist for digital goods.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The only problem with the concept for digital platforms is the idea of limiting something digital to a single copy. I've said it before, but when you give somebody a disc, the physical laws of the universe inherently make it a trade.

You have to figure out a way to make it possible to give away a digital copy, while also forcibly getting rid of the original copy. Let's talk about Steam since they're the market leader for digital distribution at the moment.

It's not terribly difficult for Valve to remove a game from a Steam account. They add and remove games all the time for free weekends and the like. The problem for Steam would be to ensure that a system in offline mode wouldn't still be able to play the game once it was removed from the account for resale, resulting in an infringement of copyright. For "free weekend versions" this is probably accomplished with a simple client-based timer, but without implementing an expiration date for every purchased game like Microsoft was going to, that is kind of out of the window.

Okay how about this.

HTOWN'S PLAN FOR DIGITAL TRADING

Let's assume Valve can verify how many machines you have a game installed on. We know you have to connect to Valve to download and install games anyway, and we know Steam Guard can presumably recognize new machines/browser sessions at a server level. Let's start by adding an uninstall verification as well, for when you say "F this game, I'm done" and delete local content. The next time that system connects to the master Steam servers, it sends information on which games have been installed/uninstalled and therefore what games exist on that machine.

We create an opt-in beta/program for Steam; let's call it Digitrade or something. If you want Steam to act as it always has, with installing all games wherever, and infinite offline mode, you do nothing. If you opt-in to Digitrade, you can remove a game from your Steam library and add it as a gift to your inventory (or perhaps even perform a one-time disc burn managed by the Steam client.)

However, you when you click "package for trade" or whatever, the Steam client contacts the server and checks to make sure that the game is installed on at most one machine, the one you're currently using. So for example, if you install a game on two machines, put Machine A into offline mode, and then attempt to "package" the copy from Machine B for trade, the Steam servers will reject the request because, being offline, Machine A has not reported that the game was uninstalled from that system.

This would allow Steam to continue as it has done, allow gamers to trade or sell their Steam games if they want to, and still ensure that the rights of the copyright holders are protected.

They should at the very least allow you to transfer ownership to a different account. In effect creating a used game market.

Why? Then someone would buy a game, finish it, then transfer it to someone else, creating two people who played through a complete game for the price of one.

Ploid 3.0

You buy physical, and resell it, that's how. If you feel you may want to sell a game before buying it, don't buy it digitally.

Onemic

How do you pull something like that off for PC without an extremely closed system? Even if it was enabled on steam someone can easily backup their games on a HDD, sell the game, and technically still have the game on their system. With something like Steam you could argue that a crack of some sort would be needed to replay it if Steam went that route, which is fair, but for something like GOG which has no DRM, it would be impossible to stop someone from backing up their entire library of games on GOG and continually sell them to make a profit.

Digital resale of games is something that I can really only see viable on consoles because their system is so closed.

conman

This will only change with a substantial revision/reversal of digital rights law. There's far too much money at stake for companies to just give this up--even with consumer push-back.

It's a huge marketing victory that digital goods are perceived as the "inevitable" future, and that anyone against it must be "living in the past."

Do people honestly care that much about reselling digital games? If you want to be able to resell, just buy physical. Seems like a no brainer really. It almost seems unfair that that's yet ANOTHER feature people want now that the worst feature (DRM) was finally completely taken out.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Used digital games make no sense, but I would be all for more robust refund options. Maybe only offer one if you've played less than x hours of a game, or lower the refunded price proportional to amount of game played or something.

Vestal

Gold Member
This. I don't see how digital content can be considered "used". There is no degradation in quality or content. Hypothetically speaking... if I were to remove Watch_Dogs from my Steam account, then there is no physical change in any form to the content. Someone else can buy my license but it would be no different than buying new. There are no manuals, or boxes or things that can get damaged. So the only way I see it working is very small credit exchange for deactivated games.

Yet we dont see a disc which you can install and not need again in the same same light. 5hrs ago MS was trying to sell the idea of buying a game license and sell it only to a particular retailer, which is exactly how digital would work and well the world dismissed it and the can was kicked a bit further down the road.

Apparently people are not ready for a full digital evolution.

Vestal

Gold Member
Do people honestly care that much about reselling digital games? If you want to be able to resell, just buy physical. Seems like a no brainer really. It almost seems unfair that that's yet ANOTHER feature people want now that the worst feature (DRM) was finally completely taken out.
You mean one drm policy was was replaced by a different one. DRM is still alive and kicking in all current gen and next gen consoles.

njean777

Yet we dont see a disc which you can install and not need again in the same same light. 5hrs ago MS was trying to sell the idea of buying a game license and sell it only to a particular retailer, which is exactly how digital would work and well the world dismissed it and the can was kicked a bit further down the road.

Apparently people are not ready for a full digital evolution.

People are not ready because 8-25gb downloads of games is not ideal with our internet infrastructure. Also telling somebody the disc they just bought is a license and not able to trade in or sell except once is not the way to go either.

Dark Rider

Seeing that DD is big in the industry now and expected to grow fast it is important that we make this happen. In fact I would like a method to be able to loan games too.

I just wish DD doesn't kill the physical form of the games (I know that's becoming harder as time progress).

Blizzard

Banned
Legally, I thought the vast majority of software purchases were purely licensing something rather than giving you any ownership of something, physical or otherwise. I also thought it had been that way for quite some time.

Would it be nice to have actual ownership of some piece of software? Maybe, but I think that is ultra unlikely to fly legally. Have any independent developers even tried making legal language in that vein?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Even credit for deactivating a game makes no sense. Gamestop and the like will pay you money for your used games because it's worth something to them. Nobody gains anything from you renouncing the right to play a game and deleting it from your virtual library, so there's no economic reason a person should be compensated for doing so.

Top Bottom