• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, even Godfall is $69... what if that's what most games cost on PS5? ...But not on XSX?

Illo

I assume Microsoft's approach is watching to see what the industry is pushing for and wanting to jab on Sony to help push their console. (I'm sensing some spite and revenge for how Sony jabbed them during the Xbox One Announcement).

I can see Xbox letting games from 3rd parties be listed as $70. But they will turn around and tell their fans their games will still be $60 and still be released on Gamepass day 1 (which is how they prefer everyone to play those games to begin with). Essentially jabbing Sony as the bad guys, while in reality they don't really need to do anything since Gamepass is their sales plan and game costs don't really factor into that.

I feel like Sony is also watching pre-order sales (as well as third parties) on the $70 game cost seeing if they can push and get away with it.

I would recommend any first year PS5 owners shouldn't preorder or purchase any game at $70. Or else your validating the change.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Likely going to be a next gen standard, like it or not. Will Microsoft maybe continue to eat some costs to be the value pick, perhaps, but when third parties and Sony are all doing it it will probably not last long.

I'll say it again, if this was really an 'issue" then why aren't they charging more on PC?

You can keep showing inflation prices and how games have stayed lower when you adjust but if the market was truly ready for this it would be scores the board.

LordOfChaos

I'll say it again, if this was really an 'issue" then why aren't they charging more on PC?

You can keep showing inflation prices and how games have stayed lower when you adjust but if the market was truly ready for this it would be scores the board.

PC games have always cost less on average. I suspect they'll follow the trend up, we'll just have to find out together.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
PC games have always cost less on average. I suspect they'll follow the trend up, we'll just have to find out together.

Perhaps but it seems like now would be the time. Why wait and have to take the bad PR twice?

I think publishers don't want to rock the PC market boat at all.

Visual Rhino

Neo Member
I assume Microsoft's approach is watching to see what the industry is pushing for and wanting to jab on Sony to help push their console. (I'm sensing some spite and revenge for how Sony jabbed them during the Xbox One Announcement).

I can see Xbox letting games from 3rd parties be listed as $70. But they will turn around and tell their fans their games will still be $60 and still be released on Gamepass day 1 (which is how they prefer everyone to play those games to begin with). Essentially jabbing Sony as the bad guys, while in reality they don't really need to do anything since Gamepass is their sales plan and game costs don't really factor into that.

I feel like Sony is also watching pre-order sales (as well as third parties) on the $70 game cost seeing if they can push and get away with it.

I would recommend any first year PS5 owners shouldn't preorder or purchase any game at $70. Or else your validating the change.

Well said.

Keihart

Miles's spin off it's 40 at least. I don't think this is going to be only a Sony side thing unless they are really going to promote the no micro transactions approach. I think that could convince and change a little their perception with the pricing if everyone else just keeps at it.

Redlight

It's not a question of a clever and cynical Xbox ploy, in your scenario Sony would clearly be the bad guys. Especially if those prices become standard as Sony would be spearheading the change and using the loyalty of their fanbase to push it through.

It's early days though, let's see where the official numbers fall from everybody.

Fbh

I think it will eventually become standard. Though MS will probably wait until they start dropping Xb1 support for their games.

I don't see why they wouldn't. Their entire strategy moving forward seems to revolve around gamepass. Making games more expensive will only make gamepass all the more appealing

If $70 is indeed the new $60 it would be freaking amazing if digital copies were like $5-$10 less because of extra profit margin. Even at $60 i think MS and Sony would still make more per sale.

Illo

It's not a question of a clever and cynical Xbox ploy, in your scenario Sony would clearly be the bad guys. Especially if those prices become standard as Sony would be spearheading the change and using the loyalty of their fanbase to push it through.

It's early days though, let's see where the official numbers fall from everybody.
In my retrospect both are allowing the price hike if fan demand allows it. However, I see Xbox sidestepping and maneuvering around the situation letting Sony take the heat and leading the charge on that topic.

Its not a clever ploy, its a possible clever maneuver around avoiding negative feedback being directed towards them as well. While simultaneously sticking to their sales plan and bottom line.

Xbox most likely does support the price hike, but they aren't touching the conversation or topic because their letting Sony take the heat of the situation. And they know appeasing their fans in this decisions doesn't factor into their own sales plan.

For Xbox, they have the ability to jab Sony to entice people. But if you look at how their marketing is framed: Friendly Phil Spencer who just wants everyone to be friends. He would never directly jab Sony, so they side step and maneuver. As an example, after the bad press for Sony's PS5 randomly being dropped the day before. Phil state's they will give a date and later the set time of when their pre-orders go up.
They see fan response towards Sony, side steps and maneuver with not making the same mistake at no costs to themselves. They leave the conversation appeasing fans, and they just had to indirectly jab to do it.

I'm saying we should be critical towards Sony and Xbox for allowing developers to raise game costs, or in Sony and potentially Xbox's case their own as well.

I'm not knocking Xbox's marketing plan either, I think they are being very smart. But I notice it, I can easily identify, predict and see what they are doing. I think Gamepass is an amazing value, but I have no interest in Xbox's consoles, games or what they are offering at the end of the day.

But direct towards both companies, because if Xbox moves keeping the $60 price tag. Playstation will reluctantly follow. Or vice versa.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think MS has announced pricing of games, but it looks like the $70 US thing will trend on next gen Xbox too.

Walmart Canada's Series X game page shows some $90 CDN games. Which is just like the PS5 page.

In my retrospect both are allowing the price hike if fan demand allows it. However, I see Xbox sidestepping and maneuvering around the situation letting Sony take the heat and leading the charge on that topic.

Its not a clever ploy, its a possible clever maneuver around avoiding negative feedback being directed towards them as well. While simultaneously sticking to their sales plan and bottom line.

Xbox most likely does support the price hike, but they aren't touching the conversation or topic because their letting Sony take the heat of the situation. And they know appeasing their fans in this decisions doesn't factor into their own sales plan.

For Xbox, they have the ability to jab Sony to entice people. But if you look at how their marketing is framed: Friendly Phil Spencer who just wants everyone to be friends. He would never directly jab Sony, so they side step and maneuver. As an example, after the bad press for Sony's PS5 randomly being dropped the day before. Phil state's they will give a date and later the set time of when their pre-orders go up.
They see fan response towards Sony, side steps and maneuver with not making the same mistake at no costs to themselves. They leave the conversation appeasing fans, and they just had to indirectly jab to do it.

I'm saying we should be critical towards Sony and Xbox for allowing developers to raise game costs, or in Sony and potentially Xbox's case their own as well.

I'm not knocking Xbox's marketing plan either, I think they are being very smart. But I notice it, I can easily identify, predict and see what they are doing. I think Gamepass is an amazing value, but I have no interest in Xbox's consoles, games or what they are offering at the end of the day.

But direct towards both companies, because if Xbox moves keeping the $60 price tag. Playstation will reluctantly follow. Or vice versa.
The new Xbox controller is $70 as opposed to their current gen $60 controller. They are absolutely increasing their game price.

Last edited:

SNPlayen

I remember paying $149 AUD for Mortal Kombat on Mega Drive but these days most physical stores in Australia have games for way cheaper on release. Eg I payed $49 for Fallout 4 on release, $79 for FF7 remake, but mostly wait a few months or year and pay $20 - $30 on PSN. You’re a sucker if you pay full price.

I think xbx fp games will remain at 60. And we have to pay premium for Sony games.

but ms, please give us more good games this gen. I will happily keep my gamepass sub. Sony needs more competition

Clarissa

Banned
You guys obviously didn't buy Neo Geo games. Now those were absurd. They cost around 500 dollars per game. Lol.

Shmunter

Quite convinced it’s an industry wide attempt at a long overdue price rise. It’s now or never during a new gen introduction.

Curious how it effects MS gamepass payouts to devs for next gen shelf space.

Last edited:
I bought nothing at launch (Besides the PS5) just because of the ridiculous prices. I still have a large backlog of PS4 games I wanted to play without loading screens and then I will live off of PS+ for the next 6-8 months before picking up some used PS5 games on disk . Will continue to live off of used games and physical sales until Sony gets the point.

Last edited:

Esca

I've had a feeling for the last few years that this new gen was going to introduce $70 as the new standard price. It's been 2 long gens of no price hikes. So now seeing it happen doesn't get to me since I was expecting it. Still sucks giant donkey cock though

rapid32.5

Remember before XBO and PS4 launch there was a promise of digital games being cheaper on PSN since they don't have to deal with retailers. Guess what, didn't happen.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I buy maybe 3 or 4 full priced games per gen (not year, GEN).
I've saved enough for the ps5 (but I'm only getting it next year) and psvr2 (whenever it releases).
I guess a strategy is to start putting 20-30$ in the psn wallet every month so when you want to buy a game you don't stress so much about it.
I'm going to start doing that to take advantage of future sales.
If I spend 80€ (59€ if using US account to buy then EU account to play still works on ps5) on a game I'm sure I'll feel dirty and ashamed for weeks, for having spent so much money on something so frivolous, but I know I won't be able to resist Elden Ring and God of War, I resisted Demon's Souls because it's a remake of a game I already played (I'll get it on sales sometime).
In 1 year there will be no discussion about this, all AAA games will be 70$ on both platforms.
But will indies increase 10$ too? Or Playstation hits line? (19.99 to 29.99)
I don't think most indies have an audience big enough to be able to ask for 10$ more.

Top Bottom