• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Dragon's Dogma 2 has been announced. But where is the next Mana ?

Variahunter

As a lover of the first Dragon's Dogma, I was thrilled by the announcement and the reveal of the second episode.
The first one had a gameplay so close to what I envision for the Mana series going 3D, of course with the themes and atmosphere being very different.
Heck, they even had that special effect when you enchanted a weapon with an element, which was very reminiscent of Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana.

So I have no doubt DD2 will be a extraordinary game.

But where is the next Mana ? It was announced in 2021 :

But then, from the happy new year 2023 video, the Mana team is nowhere to be seen :

I know, Trials of Mana remake was serviceable at best, but they had a very low budget honestly. Gameplay was repetitive, but they add a lot of exploration and pretty good level design considering how bare bones was the original in that aspect. It was an ok game, but they really tried to do their best given the budget constraints. It sold much better than their previsions, so the next one will be more ambitious.

So what's happening ?

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
We already have "Mana" at home

7-71033_kingdom-hearts-ii-logo-kh-kingdom-hearts-2.png

Isa

Color me interested, I love the Mana franchise and the Trials remake was among my favorite games of that year. It was colorful and just a blast to play for me, and has plenty of classic game design elements I've missed over the years. They were definitely hamstrung by the limited budget, like much of Squeenix's other studios, but they managed to make a solid title in my opinion. I hope whatever they make retains that sense of adventure and color palette.

Variahunter

It would be my pleasure. Since you thought that just because we got Dragons Dogma, we need to get Mana game, what else do you want me to clarify for you?
Maybe your knowledge prevents you to read, but let me assure you that a new 3D mainline Mana game is in development. Maybe your knowledge also prevents you to understand basic things, like the fact that DD2 and Mana games aren't related but their gameplay are both A-RPG, and we have no news of the Mana game. Hence why I thought of Mana when i saw the gameplay reveal of DD2.

Well, next time you share your knowledge, please understand the basic meaning of the thread.

Nautilus

Banned
Maybe your knowledge prevents you to read, but let me assure you that a new 3D mainline Mana game is in development. Maybe your knowledge also prevents you to understand basic things, like the fact that DD2 and Mana games aren't related but their gameplay are both A-RPG, and we have no news of the Mana game. Hence why I thought of Mana when i saw the gameplay reveal of DD2.

Well, next time you share your knowledge, please understand the basic meaning of the thread.
Calm down lol.

Your title thread made it seem that, just because DD 2 was officially announced, having no Mana game announced is a crime, even though we got a great remake just 2 or 3 years ago, which sold great.

Many games are Action RPGs nowadays, and making that kind of connection between the two just because of that is surprising and hilarious, hence my comment.

But sure, anytime you need, just quote or DM me to ask anything that you don't know. It will be my pleasure to illuminate you.

Labadal

Tales from my butt: I wouldn't be surprised if it got canned. A lot of Square's mid-tier games didn't do well for them. Unfortunately, this could also mean that the new SaGa game could get axed, too. This is just a worst case scenario.

Iwould day 1 purchase games from both of these series.

Are Square Enix doing their own showcase, like they have done in the last couple of years?

Variahunter

Calm down lol.

Your title thread made it seem that, just because DD 2 was officially announced, having no Mana game announced is a crime, even though we got a great remake just 2 or 3 years ago, which sold great.

Many games are Action RPGs nowadays, and making that kind of connection between the two just because of that is surprising and hilarious, hence my comment.

But sure, anytime you need, just quote or DM me to ask anything that you don't know. It will be my pleasure to illuminate you.
You clearly didn’t read the thread. There’s more than just A RPG. At this point you’re just trolling so fuck you.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It’s only been two years since the announcement and there was literally no footage or anything. It was obviously very early into active development, if at all. Unless it’s low low budget, you probably won’t see it until mid to late 2024 with a 2025 release. Unfortunately the days of a one and a half or two year development cycle is lonnnggg gone.

Top Bottom