• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, about that new iPhone Pro chip.

Who Cares Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Doesn’t matter. Nintendo has incredible IPs, behemoths of the genre. They nailed perfectly the loop for young kids - games with interesting mechanics, funny, with cartoon violence.
When I think Nintendo I think family friendly.
When I think iPhone I think online predators wanting to message my kids.
Interesting take about 'who cares'
I have two kids who have each played exactly 1 Mario and 1 Zelda.
My kids grew old and out of the Nintendo phase before any IP could register with them.
They have moved on and no longer care about Nintendo, Not sure they ever did to begin with.
They did not want to play the older games.
Long development time has killed gaming IP for kids today.

They each have an iPhone. Now if only they had the games.

Cyberpunkd

Interesting take about 'who cares'
I have two kids who have each played exactly 1 Mario and 1 Zelda.
My kids grew old and out of the Nintendo phase before any IP could register with them.
They have moved on and no longer care about Nintendo, Not sure they ever did to begin with.
They did not want to play the older games.
Long development time has killed gaming IP for kids today.

They each have an iPhone. Now if only they had the games.
Great, but that’s on you, not them. They will be hopping from one game to the other unable to focus their attention in search of the next MTX-driven dopamine fix.

Minsc

Gold Member
Apple chips are far, far, FAR more capable than the Tegra X1 (look it up), they do far more calculations, and support more new features graphically with Apple's APIs.

The amount of processing that modern smartphones do is insane, like when you take a picture it runs these massive computations to adjust the picture, all the AI going, it's crazy. The iPhone 14 could run TOTK extremely well, far better than Switch.

Then why do they run the RE games worse than the Steam Deck, which the Switch 2 is fully expected IMO to floor? Despite what that chart above shows, IIRC the deck runs Village at a solid 60fps as well, and at higher settings than the iPhone.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Then why do they run the RE games worse than the Steam Deck, which the Switch 2 is fully expected IMO to floor? Despite what that chart above shows, IIRC the deck runs Village at a solid 60fps as well, and at higher settings than the iPhone.

Steam Deck has active cooling and is a completely different type of CPU. I don't even know why you would ask me this question.

Doesn’t matter. Nintendo has incredible IPs, behemoths of the genre. They nailed perfectly the loop for young kids - games with interesting mechanics, funny, with cartoon violence.

You should follow along the conversation, my comment was just about technical capabilities.

Come on people, do better.

Minsc

Gold Member
Steam Deck has active cooling and is a completely different type of CPU. I don't even know why you would ask me this question.

You should follow along the conversation, my comment was just about technical capabilities.

Come on people, do better.

Simple, if Switch 2 > Deck and Deck > iPhone 15 Pro, then Switch 2 > iPhone 15 Pro

Great, but that’s on you, not them. They will be hopping from one game to the other unable to focus their attention in search of the next MTX-driven dopamine fix.
yea I've tried to get them into Nintendo stuff but it just didn't stick. Lego games had more sway over them than Nintendo.

Comandr

zGSztxE.png

Imagine being so threatened that you have to post this same chart in every iPhone gaming related thread.

This image is taken from a beta version of the game, on prerelease iOS software, before the thermal issues were taken care of.

This is the definition of a bad actor dude. You just come across so jaded and disingenuous.

Furthermore, it shows the game being run at 1560x720 and then multiplied by 1.5 times

So the game is running at 2340x1080, medium settings, and even after throttling - because the chart conveniently doesn’t tell us how long that takes - it manages to stay over 30fps.

That’s pretty fuckin good considering the ps4 is 1600x900 with an uncapped average frame rate of 45fps.

So let’s tally it up. A 6 inch passively cooled cellphone can play an early unoptimized/unfinished version of a game at 75% higher resolution as a whole ass dedicated console (albeit from a decade ago) at between 30-45fps?

Because holy shit, that’s amazing. Considering the fact that for a lot of people the ps4 is probably still the only console they have? Now they can play the same game on their phone? Shiiiiit.

Hold up now you’re saying that the phones are just going to keep getting faster every year? AND cheaper? Pretty soon an equivalent chip will be in a phone that retails for $429 with the iPhone SE?

OH DOUBLE DAMN you can buy the newest iphone SE that has 1.7tflops of performance right now from Walmart for $150! Holy shit imagine in 3 years when there is an even better one for that price! It’ll be like ⅓ the price of the new switch and even more powerful lmaoooooooo.

So yeah. The performance argument doesn’t matter cuz the phones are gonna keep getting faster and more optimized. The price argument doesn’t matter because there will always be a good deal on a cheaper phone.

TL;DR: Kindly fuck right off with your chicken little the sky is falling mobile sucks butt and will never be good attitude. Bitch this train hasn’t even left the station yet. Buckle up.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Imagine being so threatened that you have to post this same chart in every iPhone gaming related thread.

This image is taken from a beta version of the game, on prerelease iOS software, before the thermal issues were taken care of.

This is the definition of a bad actor dude. You just come across so jaded and disingenuous.

Furthermore, it shows the game being run at 1560x720 and then multiplied by 1.5 times

So the game is running at 2340x1080, medium settings, and even after throttling - because the chart conveniently doesn’t tell us how long that takes - it manages to stay over 30fps.

That’s pretty fuckin good considering the ps4 is 1600x900 with an uncapped average frame rate of 45fps.

So let’s tally it up. A 6 inch passively cooled cellphone can play an early unoptimized/unfinished version of a game at 75% higher resolution as a whole ass dedicated console (albeit from a decade ago) at between 30-45fps?

Because holy shit, that’s amazing. Considering the fact that for a lot of people the ps4 is probably still the only console they have? Now they can play the same game on their phone? Shiiiiit.

Hold up now you’re saying that the phones are just going to keep getting faster every year? AND cheaper? Pretty soon an equivalent chip will be in a phone that retails for $429 with the iPhone SE?

OH DOUBLE DAMN you can buy the newest iphone SE that has 1.7tflops of performance right now from Walmart for $150! Holy shit imagine in 3 years when there is an even better one for that price! It’ll be like ⅓ the price of the new switch and even more powerful lmaoooooooo.

So yeah. The performance argument doesn’t matter cuz the phones are gonna keep getting faster and more optimized. The price argument doesn’t matter because there will always be a good deal on a cheaper phone.

TL;DR: Kindly fuck right off with your chicken little the sky is falling mobile sucks butt and will never be good attitude. Bitch this train hasn’t even left the station yet. Buckle up.
Stay mad.

I'm showing that you can only do so much. The chip thermal throttles pretty hard.

Yeah, it's a phone.

For the record, this is the second time I've posted it. Prove me wrong.

Dream-Knife

Banned
So it looks like iPhone runs better that steam deck, the problem is that there is no active cooling solution. If iPhone had a dock or something similar it would run better that steam deck. Can wait to see this running on iPad.
It might have been fine if they didn't go with ti. Or at least throttled later or less.

But apple is no stranger to running chips hot.

Kakax11

Banned
Who's the worst liar, Apple claiming they can run consoles graphics on iPhones or Sony claiming PS5 can run native 4k/8k??

Minsc

Gold Member
So it looks like iPhone runs better that steam deck, the problem is that there is no active cooling solution. If iPhone had a dock or something similar it would run better that steam deck. Can wait to see this running on iPad.

In reality Village runs at 60fps on the Deck tho at its native res... maybe in synthetic benchmarks at a higher resolution it drops, but playing on the device itself you have the capability to run the game at 60fps, if the iPhone 15 Pro cannot adjust it (I'm not sure, but don't think so), it is inferior during the game experience on the device. Plus from what I've seen of RE4 on the iPhone 15, it looked pretty bad compared to how it looked on the PS5/PC (mainly PC).

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Have you been living under a rock?
2021 phones can emulate switch games better than the switch can play them natively......
Without those first party IPs though it simply doesn't matter.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
A17 chip is a monster, and when Apple will use M series chip on an IPhone, it will became god-tier.

But it's meaningless since optimization is very low.

BootsLoader

Banned
Have you been living under a rock?
2021 phones can emulate switch games better than the switch can play them natively......
Without those first party IPs though it simply doesn't matter.
No, I am living upon a rock unfortunately. Can you please post a video or something that shows Android phones running games better than switch please?

BootsLoader

Banned
A17 chip is a monster, and when Apple will use M series chip on an IPhone, it will became god-tier.

But it's meaningless since optimization is very low.
I don’t think that the M series will ever come to iPhone, that’s why they differentiate the OS, because by the time iPad will no longer be a stretched out iPhone.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don’t think that the M series will ever come to iPhone, that’s why they differentiate the OS, because by the time iPad will no longer be a stretched out iPhone.
I think the opposite is happening and they are merging the 3.

They're only artificially holding the ipad back to prevent it replacing macbooks.

BootsLoader

Banned
I think the opposite is happening and they are merging the 3.

They're only artificially holding the ipad back to prevent it replacing macbooks.
Why do you think that? They split the iOS software so iOS for iPhones and iPad OS for iPads. They introduced multitasking on iPad which the iPhone lacks. Mac has an entirely different software. How are they merging them?

I sure hope it’s more powerful, it retails for $1199.
I Don’t know anyone willing or able to fork that much over for a phone all at once.
I did the AT&T 36 month interest free thing after trading in old phone. Still paying over 20 bucks per month on top of regular cell bill for it.

AngelMuffin

I Don’t know anyone willing or able to fork that much over for a phone all at once.
I did the AT&T 36 month interest free thing after trading in old phone. Still paying over 20 bucks per month on top of regular cell bill for it.
That’s precisely why most people can afford them and why Apple is able to sell new models every year. If people had to actually pay the the full retail price, they’d keep their phones much longer. I outage my phone every 3-4 years and don’t feel like I’ve missed out on anything.

There is just no way that the switch 2 will be even near the performance of the iPhone 15 pro. If you buy an iPhone you get an absolute premium product which comes with a premium price tag. The switch needs to keep a much lower price so that it is still affordable as a Christmas present or birthday present for children. These are 2 complete different worlds.

Minsc

Gold Member
There is just no way that the switch 2 will be even near the performance of the iPhone 15 pro. If you buy an iPhone you get an absolute premium product which comes with a premium price tag. The switch needs to keep a much lower price so that it is still affordable as a Christmas present or birthday present for children. These are 2 complete different worlds.

Kinda reminds me of Genie - "Phenomenal Cosmic Power! Itty Bitty Gaming Catalog!”*

*excludes gacha and F2P games

ZoukGalaxy

But it wont be a true console system, it will still just be a novelty.
More precisely, it will be and stay an illusion fed by marketing glitters leading to nowhere. Also, it will allow to Apple fanboys to say "I have a powerful console in my phone"*, dont underestimate the social aspect of those ridiculous expensive devices for some people, it's like a "look-at-me-jewel".
And, finally, if something is unmatched on Switch, that's the games and that's absolutely everything for a system, Microsoft recently learnt it the hard way.

*with capped performance, poor battery, anti-ergonomics control and games no ones cares

peish

I heard snapdragon g3 is much better in gpu than a17pro.

how true is this? gpu benchmarks of g2 vs a17pro already have g2 winnig in many scenarios

so why the fuss about a17pro if it cannot even crush last gen g2?

Imtjnotu

I heard snapdragon g3 is much better in gpu than a17pro.

how true is this? gpu benchmarks of g2 vs a17pro already have g2 winnig in many scenarios

so why the fuss about a17pro if it cannot even crush last gen g2?
The numbers that leaked today for the G3 shows it beating the A17 in antutu by a huge chunk.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder if Apple has anything like DLSS 3.X which the Switch is rumored to have (or the G3 for that matter)? I don't think so, frame generation, the advanced upscaling/AA, etc. I definitely feel like that is going to play a large role in the Switch 2 punching above its weight, that and Nintendo is a much better parent company when it comes to game support.

Last edited:

X-Wing

All this discussion of iPhone vs Switch is dumb. I also don’t think Apple will radically change their strategy about gaming since they already make more money out of gaming than Nintendo. When it comes to power Apple already has an iPad with an M1 chip that runs laps around the switch, yet it isn’t being marketed as a gaming device.

Tams

It would need more than just a dock though.

The Switch already has air vents for the existing fan, which the dock fan then helps.

eGPU solutions offload the graphics to external boxes, that also have their own fans.

Flagship phones were more powerful than the Switch even on the year it released, but of course they would be; they are more expensive. Additionally, they don't have the same cooling capacity, so we rarely get to see them used to their potential in gaming.
The iPhone SE is more powerful than a Switch. It has the Bionic A15 inside.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I wonder if Apple has anything like DLSS 3.X which the Switch is rumored to have (or the G3 for that matter)? I don't think so, frame generation, the advanced upscaling/AA, etc. I definitely feel like that is going to play a large role in the Switch 2 punching above its weight, that and Nintendo is a much better parent company when it comes to game support.

They have their own API, MetalFX, which currently has upscaling but they will likely add frame generation to the API soon. This is the advantage Apple has in being in control of the entire hardware and software stack top to bottom.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Simple, if Switch 2 > Deck and Deck > iPhone 15 Pro, then Switch 2 > iPhone 15 Pro
active/passive cooling, power usage, not a 1:1 comparison.

plus, at some point this chip is going to end up in an Apple TV which has the potential for higher clocks. And Apple is going to put more powerful ARM chips in their iPads, also passively cooled but potential for more performance.

BootsLoader

Banned
active/passive cooling, power usage, not a 1:1 comparison.

plus, at some point this chip is going to end up in an Apple TV which has the potential for higher clocks. And Apple is going to put more powerful ARM chips in their iPads, also passively cooled but potential for more performance.
I put my bet on the Apple TV, they will try to push gaming via it. Not very hard, but they will.

Minsc

Gold Member
I put my bet on the Apple TV, they will try to push gaming via it. Not very hard, but they will.

How's the timing for jumping in on Apple TV? New one coming up soon? I've always been pretty interested replacing my Shield TV, but the biggest thing holding me back on it is the lack of ability to pass through full Atmos streams from blu-ray rips, unless that's changed?

BootsLoader

Banned
How's the timing for jumping in on Apple TV? New one coming up soon? I've always been pretty interested replacing my Shield TV, but the biggest thing holding me back on it is the lack of ability to pass through full Atmos streams from blu-ray rips, unless that's changed?
I’m thinking to buy one also, waiting for their next model, however, I’m not sure about about Atmos and if they will implement it.

X-Wing

They released one last year or so. The thing with Apple products is that they will be supported for many years to come, so even if you buy an older product it will still receive the latest updates.

As for Atmos:

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
They released one last year or so. The thing with Apple products is that they will be supported for many years to come, so even if you buy an older product it will still receive the latest updates.

As for Atmos:

But that's not the much better Atmos you get from 4k Blurays - which is the TrueHD Atmos tracks (which uses 10-40x more bandwidth and is lossless - hell I've seen just the TrueHD Atmos track alone on blurays take up more space than the entire movie in 4k + the DD+ Atmos track on someone else's encode), which afaik Apple TV does not support - yet the 5? year old, maybe more, nVidia Shield TV Pro does fine.

If I'm wrong I'd love to know, because as great as the Shield TV Pro is, the CPU definitely shows its age a bit, but the Atmos from my blurays just sounds so amazing to give up.

Last edited:

X-Wing

But that's not the much better Atmos you get from 4k Blurays - which is the TrueHD Atmos tracks (which uses 10-40x more bandwidth and is lossless - hell I've seen just the TrueHD Atmos track alone on blurays take up more space than the entire movie in 4k + the DD+ Atmos track on someone else's encode), which afaik Apple TV does not support - yet the 5? year old, maybe more, nVidia Shield TV Pro does fine.

If I'm wrong I'd love to know, because as great as the Shield TV Pro is, the CPU definitely shows its age a bit, but the Atmos from my blurays just sounds so amazing to give up.

I wasn't arguing with your point about Atmos, just providing a link with info for those interested. :messenger_winking:

Steam deck, Rog Ally etc. should worry more than Nintendo as they lack the dedicated software.
Dude those are literal PCs you're comparing to a phone.

Sure the horse power is impressive for a phone, but at Apple's price points for anything all, there would need to be a good reason to pick an iPhone over a handheld PC of all things.

Gamers need value, and Apple "gaming" is gonna need a bit more than horse power to disrupt anything

Top Bottom