• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple has entered the Chat

Apple is easily the leading company to enter into the more traditional gaming market.

I think we all pretty much scoffed at the iPhone 15 Pro being a gaming console or even a gaming handheld, but I think it has considerably more potential than say the Playstation Portal. People already buy iPhones, so it's easy to try to convince them to play traditional games occasionally on their iPhones.

But that is NOT the sell

What has me convinced that Apple is a strong contender is what they've already advertised. Cross-buy across their devices. This is an extremely unique position that only Apple can do.

• iPhones
  • iPads
  • Macbooks
  • iMacs/MacMinis/Mac Pros
  • Apple Vision Pro (VR)
  • Apple TV
  • Apple Arcade

The ability to potentially buy games once and play it on any device that you own? All Apple was missing before was the support of developers/publishers and it seems that they are starting to get more of that. I think that publishers/developers are going to look to create as many competitive platforms as possible to keep royalties down. It makes a lot of sense to support Apple, especially given their user base size.

They could very easily release a gaming-oriented M Series chipset Apple TV that could compete directly with Sony and Microsoft and they could certainly subsidize it across gaming and Apple TV.

Obviously, they'll need more software, but I could easily see them buying any large studios or publishers. There is even some talk that they could buy Disney. They wouldn't have the regulatory hurdles that Microsoft is going through in order to buy a major publisher either.

When you combine Apple Arcade which can be bundled into Apple One. They could far more easily subsidize a subscription service and their games in a more similar way like Amazon does with Amazon Prime. I don't think an exclusively gaming subscription service can sustain itself at this point. Apple is already the biggest revenue maker in gaming.

Apple has the money, the engineers, the ecosystem, and the consumer base to be a legitimate entrant into the console gaming space. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, they can create their own chipsets, which would eventually allow them to undercut Sony and Microsoft on hardware prices.

Knightime_X

Fuck It I Love You Pixel GIF by nettwerkmusic

Punt Apple right out of Chat.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
well the man did it

I was actually gonna write an apple thread myself but since you seemed so hyped on the opportunity i figured why not.

JimboJones

they'll buy studios and make their own. They don't have a history of monopolization like MS does so they're surely to build and not buy. Ala Sony & Nintendo
They should be doing that now then. Instead they are showing off Resident Evil ports. I don't believe they have the chops, Google and Amazon are in the same boat, they just don't get it.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Apple wants to take 30% of the video game industry's revenue and add it to their bottom line for as little work as humanly possible. Apple isn't interested in building a competing pillar to Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo, offering up new games or innovative features. All they want is to entice developers with the size of their install base and then literally do nothing while they collect their platform fees. I wouldn't want Apple, Google, or Amazon in the industry.

Buggy Loop

They don't know video game development, where is their team of studios to create games to actually create experiences to take advantage of their hardware?

They don't know TV/Movie productions, where is their team of studios to create TV/movie content to actually take advantage of their apple TV.

It's Apple

Whatever they tip their toe into in a given media, they'll already have a plan for it.

Underestimating them is not a smart move.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The funny thing is that Apple is in the running yes but its all organic really. They are not pushing gaming but rather giving it a place for it to grow with their tech growing.

Like apple didn't go out of their way to get capcom on iphone. Capcom wants to be on iphone. They want to tap that user base.

Where it gets interesting is when the future say A20 chips are ina $200 Apple TV. The thing no one understands about Apples Silicon is they are fast and they are cheap to produce. Right now I think the chips apple tvs have are the A15s and the new Iphone pro chip is athe A17.
It won’t be long.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s honestly such a shame that the mobile gaming market has such a borderline-irreparable reputation at this point, because new phone chips (especially Apple silicon) are just ridiculously powerful and efficient.

In some other universe, there’s a whole generation of people playing every AAA game on their Switch-style Androids and iPhones wherever they go. And while most people here might scoff at that thought, I really think it’s a hugely missed opportunity for us. I don’t give a shit how I play my games, as long as they’re great.

But instead, the mobile market has probably permanently ruined its reputation as a platform with MTX, shitty dopamine machine games, and pay2win. It’s such a bummer. I wish the Switch 2 was powered by the A17.

At least we seem to be moving in the right direction for the time being. Google Play Pass and Apple Arcade are both pretty decent (was playing a bunch of What The Golf today on my phone and having a blast), and the new AAA ports to iPhone are pretty nifty. Any new options for people to experience those games is a win in my book.

I just wish this all happened 10 years sooner.

JimboJones

They don't know TV/Movie productions, where is their team of studios to create TV/movie content to actually create content to take advantage of their apple TV.

It's Apple

Whatever they tip their toe into in a given media, they'll already have a plan for it.

They have had the biggest selling handheld gaming platform for years, and what have they done with it? Apple Arcade, essentially gamepass for mobile game apps, they want the games on their storefront. They aren't interested in making games or pushing it forward.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
They don't know TV/Movie productions, where is their team of studios to create TV/movie content to actually take advantage of their apple TV.

It's Apple

The anti-Apple boner here is so huge I thought I was on reddit for a second

The funny thing is that Apple is in the running yes but its all organic really. They are not pushing gaming but rather giving it a place for it to grow with their tech growing.

Like apple didn't go out of their way to get capcom on iphone. Capcom wants to be on iphone. They want to tap that user base.

Where it gets interesting is when the future say A20 chips are ina $200 Apple TV. The thing no one understands about Apples Silicon is they are fast and they are cheap to produce. Right now I think the apple tvs have are the A15s and the new Iphone pro chip is athe A17.
It wonmt be long.
yup, or they can release a beefy apple tv console for 4 or 500. play the newest games on your couch, then continue them on the go on your phone.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Apple could release some amazing hardware, but games drive console sales, not the other way around. So until they get serious Boug that, it's not likely to happen, and if it does it might have a hard time selling unless one of the big three agree to make games.

If ms did decide to be software only, that's a door open to apple.

LordOfChaos

You know output to a screen it doesn't look bad, obviously way ahead of what the Switch can do, but below somewhat below the SS

I want them to make a full official Switch like kit for it, TV stand with built in fans for keeping throttling away and an adaptable controller that can either grip it or use standalone

Del_X

Pay 40% more for similar compute as whatever Sony has with one more gimmick.

I mean hell I might bookmark this and come back. It will still sell but yeah… Apple is not a value brand.

They do have console-level-or-better hardware but they sell Mac Minis with equivalent horsepower for $1000+

Last edited:
Pay 40% more for similar compute as whatever Sony has with one more gimmick.

I mean hell I might bookmark this and come back. It will still sell but yeah… Apple is not a value brand.

They do have console-level-or-better hardware but they sell Mac Minis with equivalent horsepower for $1000+

Nowhere did I advocate for this. I just think it is a likely scenario and that it has merit.

If Apple buys a few strategic companies (valve, EA for the sports, ect) and makes mac a place to game and does a new affordable game console with icloud integration and powered by ios, they will probably rip everyone a new asshole

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Without software they're going nowhere.

But with the current status of Microsoft and Sony, they could actually stand a chance.

No way they have a chance against Nintendo though.

JimboJones

If Apple buys a few strategic companies (valve, EA for the sports, ect) and makes mac a place to game and does a new affordable game console with icloud integration and powered by ios, they will probably rip everyone a new asshole
That's the thing though, they won't, they will release iPhone 23 in 5 years time with a port of a 2 year old game with Duelsense6 support and say we take games seriously.

nikos

iPhone + Backbone One actually makes for some nice handheld gaming. There are some really good mobile games out there. Apple Arcade games are free of all the mobile microtransaction bullshit and most support a controller. There are plenty of full console games on mobile as well. There have been instances where I played a game on iPhone instead of Switch because performance was better.

15 Pro's GPU is supposed to be way more capable of ray tracing. I'm looking forward to giving it a try this weekend. Shame I'm going to have to buy another Backbone One because of USB-C.

Last edited:
That's the thing though, they won't, they will release iPhone 23 in 5 years time with a port of a 2 year old game with Duelsense6 support and say we take games seriously.

How/why did they get into tv and film?

They've tried twice and both were failures.

Nobody is buying a $1000 phone to play downgraded 30fps ports.

They're buying the phone already and they already have a macbook and maybe an ipad...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Apple Arcade is bundled into Apple One, OP.

Until proven otherwise, nobody is going to pay full price for games on any Apple device. It's like what everyone talks about could happen with Game Pass, but it is the iOS reality. So there's no way any dev is porting their game to the platform without major, major support. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did the RE8 port themselves, and is paying for all of it. Until they can get their users to pay for full priced games, it's a gimmick.

Last edited:
Apple Arcade is bundled into Apple One, OP.

Until proven otherwise, nobody is going to pay full price for games on any Apple device. It's like what everyone talks about could happen with Game Pass, but it is the iOS reality. So there's no way any dev is porting their game to the platform without major, major support. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did the RE8 port themselves, and is paying for all of it.

I literally said it can be. You can also buy it separately.

A lot of people have macbooks and no other gaming devices. You're telling me they won't buy a full price game to play on their laptop?

https://ew.com/gaming/whoopi-goldberg-diablo-4-video-game-blizzard-entertainment/

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
do people honestly think there are people out there only buying Iphones for gaming?

No. They're buying it for all the other stuff a smartphone does, and ALSO gaming.

It's 30 FPS on this year's phone but new phones comes every year whereas a console is what once in 5 years I bet u in 2 3 years phones will catch up to consoles
That is true but the phones come out with such frequency that I think there's too much pressure on the consumer to upgrade every year.

Apple would just need to do what they and Google and Amazon haven't done in the past and that's show commitment to their platform with a long-term roadmap, not just "if we don't make x amount of money by next year we pull the plug".

Nobody is investing in a new ecosystem because of two Indies and a promise by Jade Raymond.

JimboJones

What infrastructure did they have that let them create tv and movies but prevents them from getting serious about gaming...
Because they have done this song and dance with games before and nothing ever comes from it.

They created an apple tv with a Wii remote and people where saying it was going to be the next Wii.

If your happy with what apple currently offers with gaming then it's good news there gonna keep doing what they are doing but don't be expecting Apple first party TotK, Star Field or Spiderman 2 levels of production from them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom