• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SK Hynix Has Officially Announced the World's First DDR5 Modules

BluRayHiDef

Banned
SK Hynix, a South Korean memory-semiconductor company, has officially announced the world's first DDR5 modules. According to the company, the modules are capable of transferring data at rates ranging from 4800 Mb/s to 5600 Mb/s and operate at 1.1 volts.

The modules, as well as modules from other brands, are expected to be released to retail markets in Q3 of 2021 but aren't expected to be widely adopted until 2022.

RAM.jpg

SK_hynix_develops_1Ynm_DDR5_DRAM_2.jpg

This lol. I keep wanting to upgrade my 2600k and system, but I have fallen into the oh next year the new chipset and ddr and pcie comes out.
I respect that. One of my buddies is still rocking one, and playing all the latest games with an rtx 2060 to go with it. You might need an upgrade in the next year though.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Another excuse to continue to put off my full PC rebuild. I've rode my 2550k like the steed that it is for almost 9 years. Why would I stop now.

Wow, I thought that my CPU was old; I'm using an i7-5820K, which I bought in 2016. A lot of users have told me in other threads that I should upgrade my CPU as soon as possible rather than wait for DDR5 since I expressed a desire to get an RTX 3000 Series card.

However, I've managed to get an RTX 3080 and my i7-5820K doesn't seem to be bottlenecking it significantly when running games at 4K. So, I'm sticking to my plan to wait for DDR5-compatible CPUs.

prag16

Banned
Can you even game on that 2600k ?
My 2550k is still running new games fine. No I'm not rocking 144hz or even rock solid 60 for most games, but still man, god damn, 9 years.

I guess I'm waiting for 10nm and DDR5 now. 🤷‍♂️

waylo

Banned
Another excuse to continue to put off my full PC rebuild. I've rode my 2550k like the steed that it is for almost 9 years. Why would I stop now.
If you haven't rebuilt by now, you never will man. There will always be something better around the corner. Just bite the bullet.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If you haven't rebuilt by now, you never will man. There will always be something better around the corner. Just bite the bullet.

You're right; there's always something better on the horizon. However, considering that the components of his computer that need to be upgraded the most are those that comprise the chipset, which is the most integral aspect of a computer, he should just wait a little longer since DDR5-compatible cbipsets will be released in an amount of time that is short relative to how long he's already waited. Upgrading now would be foolish, in my opinion.

prag16

Banned
Yeah the clock is running out. My CPU badly bottlenecks all the latest GPUs, so my hand will be forced. Probably some time next year or so. Seems that I'll still be able to play Cyberpunk fine, which is my main near-future concern.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You can already get top-end overclocked DDR4 kits with >4400 speeds. They don't do much for current games.
They don't do much for current games, but what about future games? Also, what about the fact that current CPUs are designed to work with memory that fast?

DJT123

My current PC just needs an Ampere card for the next few years. Next build will have DDR5 ram and a beastly AMD processor.

Wow, I thought that my CPU was old; I'm using an i7-5820K, which I bought in 2016. A lot of users have told me in other threads that I should upgrade my CPU as soon as possible rather than wait for DDR5 since I expressed a desire to get an RTX 3000 Series card.

However, I've managed to get an RTX 3080 and my i7-5820K doesn't seem to be bottlenecking it significantly when running games at 4K. So, I'm sticking to my plan to wait for DDR5-compatible CPUs.

Hmm maybe I don't need to upgrade from the 3770k...

Top Bottom