• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since Starfield release day my PC windows feature log in pics and popup for it from MS without consent

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Disable Windows Spotlight, edit Group Policy or registry to disable the lock screen, and change the option in Settings to disable Suggested Content

You can also switch to Mac for your non-gaming use. My MacBook Pro never has any issues with this

It's unfortunate that Microsoft has a monopoly on PC gaming or I would have quit using Windows many years ago
Really, switch to Mac to avoid something you can change in settings? FFS why do you Mac nuts always try to sell people expensive computers that don't run the majority of available apps and games. Buy an extra Mac for non games instead of using a PC to do both? That is insane.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
That's literally what Spotlight is for, ads. At one point it acts like a giant Bing ad with links to the spotlighted picture through Bing. Really though, are you actually on the lock screen for that long? Not much of a computer use at lock screen.

And totally get your language choice there, just stating that is a tad dramatic to what is actually happening.
Really Spotlight is for ads ? I thought it was for nice random landscapes. I used to have a new landscape every day but now it's only Starfield, but I didn't change anything...

My win 10 work laptop sends me push notifications plugging xbox controllers around 11am when I go into the office. Yet I've never seen one on my gaming pc...

I would not even mind if it were changed more often. I am a gamer, just not Xbox right now, so seeing gaming stuff is hardly offending or whatever.
But as it is, seeing the same damn picture for some weeks now, okay, they had two, is just boring and a lame campaign. They should rotate it with some Halo, Gears, Doom, Forza etc artwork, use the regular landscape photos as the standard and ads only in between. Notifying me about Forza Horizon Free Weekend could have been done, but something that interests me is then beyond their abilities. Oh my...

But it's the same with the repeatedly offer to finally update to Win11. Yeah, nice to be able to, and I will some day, but not now. McAfee could also shut the fuck up, being not installed but wanting to be. And Onedrive. And whatever other bs is built in, in this OEM Windows.

StereoVsn

I have gamepass ads on my work pc (win 10). Thankfully the lockscreen picture is unaffected, it’s only text.
That just means your IT admins don’t know what the heck they are doing, lol. It shouldn’t be appearing in a properly configured corporate image.

StereoVsn

Be careful not to click any of it or you'll become part of some engagement metric.
4RO0pmY.jpg

Elysium44

Banned
I get regular popups in the bottom right corner in Windows 10 like this, advertising Microsoft games, game pass etc. I don't know of a way to turn them off. All you can do is disable all notifications from the Xbox app, but then that would disable ones I do want to see as well. (The popups appear even when the Xbox app isn't running - either that or it's always running in the background.)

Last edited:
Really, switch to Mac to avoid something you can change in settings? FFS why do you Mac nuts always try to sell people expensive computers that don't run the majority of available apps and games. Buy an extra Mac for non games instead of using a PC to do both? That is insane.
Imagine hating superior user experiences and defending shitty ones.

You do you, I guess. I'm happy to have my MacBook Pro which lives alongside a gaming PC with a 5800X3D + 3090 and a gaming laptop with a 11800H + 3070 Laptop. Sometimes the Mac sits right next to the Windows machines and for some reason they don't all jump up and start trying to beat the shit out of each other. The machines seem happy to coexist, so what's your problem?

S0ULZB0URNE

Eh? Just sounds like typical sneaky windows shit that ms does and has been doing with windows.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
You're acting as if this is some kind of an affront to humanity, lol. Just configure your system to not show any ad notifications like a normal person and move on with your life. Why even post this?

That little disclaimer that you put in the OP is cute too. I wonder if you'd be making the same thread if you'd be getting notifications to download Deathloop on your lock screen, as I had for the past 2 months. Because I very much doubt it, lol.

Last edited:
You can set your own background. You know like we've been doing since windows 95?

That's why I don't understand the hate. Everything is still exactly where it always has been. Do you complain that your webbrowser doesn't preconfigured with an ad blocker?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Network effect in action. Constant upselling of the provider's product at the expense of everyone else.

T-Cake

What language is this? I don't recognise the words like embarc't and divendres.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

First day with my Windows10 and I disabled absolutely everything. Cortana, mic, camera everything, adsense everything.
Features should be activated on need to basis.

devilNprada

Had to get rid of outlook on my phone because the "sponsored ads" on the top....
It was originally a pretty good app for emails until they did that....

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I know that is not a good thing... but since the dawn of Windows, it has shit like that. Some of then you can disable by entering the Task Manager, or just by unistall all together (but with something like the Revo Unistaller)

Top Bottom