• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE’s approach to events and shows

I think most people will agree that SIE haven’t been consistent with their shows this generation. But why?

In the PS3 era Sony were committed to E3, a European show and TGS, as well as some support for games award shows. These were usually presented by Jack Tretton, Jim Ryan et al.

In the PS4 era they did the same while also having a couple of E3 showings that people put in the top 4/5 conferences of all time. We also saw some digital events like State of Plays come in. The shows in this era were presented by Shawn Layden, Jim Ryan, Andrew Denny, Shuhei Yoshida, Adam Boyes, Gio Corsi and more.

Then we have the PS5 era where they’ve pretty much eschewed all major events. They’ve also been inconsistent with their shows quality and frequency and we’ve only really (to my knowledge) had a handful of presenters, most of whom are developers introducing their games.

My question is - why have SIE done this? Is this bourne out of Jim Ryan’s self-admitted uncomfortableness with presenting? Is it because their game development pipeline is all over the place making it hard to show off enough games at once? Or are they arrogant and think everyone will wait and watch whatever they show regardless?

The facts are that PS5 is selling tremendously.

But:

Shows really did get people excited about the PlayStation brand and games.

Having specific times where we could get hyped and excited together did bring gamers together. Many games did well just by being associated or included in the hype.

As much as I dislike Phil Spencer, I think he’s doing a good job at out ‘PlayStationing’ PlayStation in terms of shows. They are consistently there, consistently showing off games and consistently showing off 3rd party games.

So what do people genuinely think the strategy or issue is? It’s very bizarre. Sony were incredibly successful with conferences and shows. It feels like they’ve destroyed one of their own pillars of success.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
things change with time

and what they are doing with the PS5 is the best thing to do, show games when they are ready, no point in showing a game 5 years before release and putting pressure on the teams to deliver
and we are just seeing the effect of the pandemic that delayed everything

the most important is be silent and don't overhype, let the games do the talking

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I think the answer to this stuff is always that they have very little pressure to perform.

Had the Ps5 not taken off I guarantee we’d be seeing not only more presentations and/or attendances to events but also more big and exciting first party titles (albeit likely revealed a year or two too early).

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've never heard an explanation other than cutting costs, and lack of need to do it.

I don't think anyone actually argues that its better, just that they can get away with the bare minimum because they're so dominant.

I think they're trying to shed any remnant of a "gamer" image. Their advertising / brand messaging style now reminds me of Apple, and trying to create that premium, high sophistication vibe. Maybe they have a point and that appeals to others, but I don't like it at all and find it actively alienating.

I've never heard an explanation other than cutting costs, and lack of need to do it.

I don't think anyone actually argues that its better, just that they can get away with the bare minimum because they're so dominant.

I think they're trying to shed any remnant of a "gamer" image. Their advertising / brand messaging style now reminds me of Apple, and trying to create that premium, high sophistication vibe. Maybe they have a point and that appeals to others, but I don't like it at all and find it actively alienating.
I think this too.

Ryan’s aim for total mindshare etc. It’s clear he’s also been behind the thrust to make PlayStation more than just a box. After all, he’s the one who has been driving the expansion into PC, Cloud, entertainment via PlayStation Productions and Mobile alongside their traditional business.

I don’t think they’ve found their rhythm yet. I do think they need to have ‘an event’ each year that people can latch onto. Approx same time, covering all their bases, speaking to their core audience as well,

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think this too.

Ryan’s aim for total mindshare etc. It’s clear he’s also been behind the thrust to make PlayStation more than just a box. After all, he’s the one who has been driving the expansion into PC, Cloud, entertainment via PlayStation Productions and Mobile alongside their traditional business.

I don’t think they’ve found their rhythm yet. I do think they need to have ‘an event’ each year that people can latch onto. Approx same time, covering all their bases, speaking to their core audience as well,
I would like that, and I think the fans would like that. But they're definitely proving they don't "need" it. With how much buzz they generate on social media they just say the word and put up a show anytime they want honestly. Doesn't really seem to matter that much.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't get it... to me, I feel they have been consistent, they have at least one show each quarter and or before any major first-party release.

But more importantly, shouldn't they only have a show when they have something to show?

Anyway, this is Sony's fault, feel they have spoilt people. They should take a page off Xbox page and just have one showcase a year and only do state of pays just before the release of first-party games.

Virex

Banned
I think most people will agree that SIE haven’t been consistent with their shows this generation. But why?

In the PS3 era Sony were committed to E3, a European show and TGS, as well as some support for games award shows. These were usually presented by Jack Tretton, Jim Ryan et al.
Because they were not the dominant leader at the time. The 360 was more appealing to developers and Microsoft were really good at handling the 360 with developer relations. Sony had to go all out with the PS3. When you're not on top and losing ground that is your only option. Now with the PS5 and the PS4 generation, Sony has no competition and don't really give as shit.

Sony desperately need a PS3 gen again to bring them back to earth or even better to move PlayStation back to Japan. Let's face it, there is absolutely nothing Japanese about PlayStation anymore. Maybe that will also help to stop them pandering to groups of people that don't play games.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I understand why they are doing it like this:
  • Fewer costs
  • Low attention span. One big show per year won't work well vs. smaller reminders every couple of months with staggered marketing.
  • No reliance on E3-type organizations.
  • Games take longer than ever to make, which automatically extends the time between each show.
  • To minimize the time between announcement and release.
  • Less pressure (and crunch) on studios to meet due dates.
  • Little to no pressure from Xbox.
There are numerous reasons why this is the way to go.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck for us. Sony's marketing has been extremely weird this generation. Even apart from this, there are several other marketing-related things I think they have been awful at.

Arrogant Sony is back so they don't have to try as hard as in the past 😏.

Kakegurui-Season-3-Images-1.png

That aside I understand why some PlayStation fans are disappointed with their lack of presence at these events and shows since they were doing them regularly some years back and they were pretty hype. Not much one can do with Jimbo at the helm, so it is what it is.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I understand why they are doing it like this:
  • Fewer costs
  • Low attention span. One big show per year won't work well vs. smaller reminders every couple of months with staggered marketing.
  • No reliance on E3-type organizations.
  • Games take longer than ever to make, which automatically extends the time between each show.
  • To minimize the time between announcement and release.
  • Less pressure (and crunch) on studios to meet due dates.
  • Little to no pressure from Xbox.
There are numerous reasons why this is the way to go.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck for us. Sony's marketing has been extremely weird this generation. Even apart from this, there are several other marketing-related things I think they have been awful at.
2. It shows how retarded and dumb people have become(not you, peoples attention spans)

4. This is one of the problems the game industry has. It's not sustainable and we're getting nickle and dimed for everything and unfinished releases or broken releases. We need a 2nd gaming crash and soon.

Last edited:
ps5 is a great console but this is the most boring generation ever. no one is talking at Sony. no one.
Jim said they have like 25 games in development and he said that in May 2021.
so you're telling me Jim can't send an email to the PS studios and ask them which one can make a trailer ready for PS5 Showcase ?
not even like 5 proper trailers ??? or are you telling me 2024 will be another dry year ?

I remember when Sony decided they will not go to E3 that one year so they made a blog post about it.
last year no one made a post that there will be no E3 type event. entire year went without a show.
and every month people would hope it would be that month. you can't make one goddamn tweet saying "sorry, no event this year" ???

I don't get it how Jim Ryan and Herman and Shuhei don't do a goddamn thing. it's like after 30 years in the industry they don't understand what gamers want.
E3 events were like Christmas for gamers. tell me why I bought you console. do a 1 hour goddamn show with gameplay trailers or demos from ps studios.
and make a fucking remaster of old games people ask for years. it's easy money. Resistance, Killzone, Motorstorm, inFamous, Warhawk, Sunset Overdrive...

Hudo

The thing about Sony (and also Microsoft) doing their own "Directs" is because even though they all laughed at Nintendo doing some sort of stream instead of going to E3, it worked out tremendously for Nintendo. And obviously that made both Sony and Microsoft think that they can do that as well and have a clearer, more controlled message while saving a lot of money. Problem is: Neither Sony nor Microsoft are Nintendo. Both are their own thing and I think specifically in Sony's case, an "event" like their E3 press conferences were, suits them better. They are better at making an event a spectacle for their trailer show. Their "(Absolute) State of Play"s are anything but.

I also think that Microsoft also need to find their own "thing" with how to present themselves.

K2D

Banned
- MS acquisitions

- Court proceedings

- Not understanding the importance of events for cultivating fan community

Last edited:
Top Bottom