• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony have a Playstation Seal of Quality logo?

Fredrik

W72gFPN.jpg

(Logo made in 15 seconds with a generator.)

Not thread worthy but I just woke up so that’s my excuse. Anyway after seeing the latest God of War Ragnarök trailer and having jumped in LTTP on a couple 2020-2021 Sony exclusives through Playstation Plus Premium I think there is reason to believe that Sony has some kind of quality assurance for their 1st party titles that others are simply skipping on.
Am I wrong here? I don’t think so. I’m seriously impressed about their high lowest level.

So I think it would be cool with a Playstation Seal of Quality logo on their 1st party titles because they’ve totally earned it.

That’s all. Time for breakfast.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

The logo should pertain to something you can come to expect.
Like 60fps or something.

Otherwise, it's no different than those shitty LJN games with the Nintendo seal of approval.
zqqxEIf.png

Granted, 60fps doesn't guarantee a good game but it will at least guarantee its not shitty 30fps

Last edited:

Fredrik

Like 60fps or something.

Otherwise, it's no different than those shitty LJN games with the Nintendo seal of approval.
Everyone does 60fps now. Everyone doesn’t have the quality of Sony 1st party games. And the Nintendo logo was awesome. 👌

kyliethicc

W72gFPN.jpg

Not thread worthy but I just woke up so that’s my excuse. Anyway after seeing the latest God of War Ragnarök trailer and having jumped in LTTP on a couple 2020-2021 Sony exclusives through Playstation Plus Premium I think there is reason to believe that Sony has some kind of quality assurance for their 1st party titles that others are simply skipping on.
Am I wrong here? I don’t think so. I’m seriously impressed about their high lowest level.

So I think it would be cool with a Playstation Seal of Quality logo on their 1st party titles because they’ve totally earned it.

They literally just did that.

"We think this is a good way to let consumers know that, if they see it, then the quality games they've come to expect from us are here.”

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t see the point. Nintendo used to have this but just ended up putting it on everything iirc, which just makes it lose all meaning.

I imagine Sony would probably end up doing the same.

CamHostage

i4Smy3A.jpg

It was never a "Seal of Quality". It was always a method of combatting bootleggers (or controlling licensees, depending on your viewpoint... although, it was the latter.)

The only "quality" assessment aspect that went into the Seal of Quality was that the game passed QA certification, but every game on every major game console goes through QA.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Everyone does 60fps now. Everyone doesn’t have the quality of Sony 1st party games. And the Nintendo logo was awesome. 👌
I think for something to earn that seal, they MUST meet multiple standards requirements.
It's ok if the game is 30fps in fidelity mode or RTX or whatever. But as long as a 60fps mode is available, that should count.
With Xbox, the description tells you what the game is capable of.
ON Ps5 you don't even get to see video or screen shots, just "fuck you, buy the game already."
No user reviews or anything.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Interesting parallel because the Nintendo seal of Quality didn’t imply any specific quality or verification from Nintendo, it was basically a tax stamp that proper licensing had been paid. The only restriction was that you couldn’t publish more than 5 games per year.

It only served as a marketing tool to reassure consumers after the 1983 crash.

Matsuchezz

No. We all know SIE produces quality products. Nintendo used to do that and lots of the games were rubbish.
We know that Insomniac, ND, Guerrilla, Santa monica, Polyphony Digital and House Marquee produce quality games, I believe Sony always tries to have the best games outthere either they are produced in house or by 2nd and 3rd parties. Whereas other companies try to compete just with brute force and green light mediocre games left and right just to have product in the stores or on certain rental services.
And seals of quality feel old as fuck. Which reminds me of this kid.

Meme Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
i4Smy3A.jpg

It was never a "Seal of Quality". It was always a method of combatting bootleggers (or controlling licensees, depending on your viewpoint... although, it was the latter.)

The only "quality" assessment aspect that went into the Seal of Quality was that the game passed QA certification, but every game on every major game console goes through QA.
Exactly, this must be one of the most misunderstood moves from Nintendo ever... It basically meant that the game had no evident game breaking bugs, that it could boot up in the console, etc. Stuff like that, iirc games straight up not running from factory or with too many bugs were the norm right before Nintendo came out with their strict policies

CamHostage

Exactly, this must be one of the most misunderstood moves from Nintendo ever... It basically meant that the game had no evident game breaking bugs, that it could boot up in the console, etc. Stuff like that, iirc games straight up not running from factory or with too many bugs were the norm right before Nintendo came out with their strict policies

It was smart marketing for sure, to use that term "Seal of Quality" and let imaginations run with that idea.

...That said, I do think it's a little worth giving credit for Nintendo doing that, as it wasn't just a marketing ploy and a publisher tax stamp act. It really did mean something in the '80s, after the mess of Atari and the convoluted market of the time, to have Nintendo say it certified its games will play on its box and will meet certain guidelines. Nothing too untoward content-wise, nothing that will break your system, and nothing so cryptic and abysmal that you can't play it. (Not that Nintendo set a high bar there, if you look at the games which got through, but they did say no to a few things and they did at least have somebody in the world try these things and make sure a human could get something out of them. Nintendo also rejected a few actually good games because they were bitter and vindictive control freaks, especially in the NES days, but for the most part we dodged a few bullets... Nintendo Japan notably did not have a Seal of Quality and its kusoge library has stuff worse than anything you suffered as a kid.)

Nintendo did set in motion what grew into the modern Quality Assurance (QA) process of game production, and sure, that seal meant more that it passed lot check than that it earned a thumbs-up, but it was something where there previously was nothing, and it probably did some good.

It just wasn't ever what people assumed it was.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I agree that some quality seal is needed, but maybe by fans that bought the game or something.

Lets say someone buys a game on PSN and they beat it, it should allow for some rating or score or something and anything above a certain score gets some badge or something on PSN like how Steam has the "mostly positive"

We don't know what Sony as a company might see as "quality" and maybe fans would rather respect another user that bought and beat the game scoring it to have it mean something.

Food for thought.

Mokus

Seeing how Nintendo is using it, I don't see what good it will bring to us if Sony too would start to imitate it. Sony also delivers some bad games.

Fredrik

I agree that some quality seal is needed, but maybe by fans that bought the game or something.

Lets say someone buys a game on PSN and they beat it, it should allow for some rating or score or something and anything above a certain score gets some badge or something on PSN like how Steam has the "mostly positive"

We don't know what Sony as a company might see as "quality" and maybe fans would rather respect another user that bought and beat the game scoring it to have it mean something.

Food for thought.
Thinking outside the box, I like it! 👌

Anyway it’s just some silly morning thoughts, I’m at work now, time to get serious, mods are free to close the thread if they think it’s wasting board space 👍

EDMIX

Thinking outside the box, I like it! 👌

Anyway it’s just some silly morning thoughts, I’m at work now, time to get serious, mods are free to close the thread if they think it’s wasting board space 👍

nah this is a legit thread as I think we need to hammer down what we feel is quality and who should actually decided.

Consumers can be bias and exaggerate a lot, but if they part with their money and beat a game, a score should be given and the weight of that should earn some badge after a number of people give the same score so everyone else knows the game is legit or something.

I'd even go as far as to say after you beat the game, some menu on PS4 or PS5 pops up on the slot for the game showing how a review or scoring is done.

Did they have crashes? Bugs? Was it grindy in a good way or bad way, was it quality content or filler. Those are hard things to quantify as someone can feel Witcher 3's content was filler, another might feel it was quality. So saying yes to lots of content won't tell the whole story.

Is the content good and not copy and paste stuff? So it can be a yes, but 2 different answers might follow. I think with how they do the community and social stuff on PS4 and PS5, I think its worth doing to at least create some standard.

Pallas

Fredrik

I'd even go as far as to say after you beat the game, some menu on PS4 or PS5 pops up on the slot for the game showing how a review or scoring is done.

Did they have crashes? Bugs? Was it grindy in a good way or bad way, was it quality content or filler.
Okay you just turned this thread to something truly interesting here. Great ideas! Maybe you could make a serious thread about this with a better title?

Too many (including myself) start throwing out 10/10 scores after just a few hours. Then change our score later. That’s why a game like Halo Infinite can become GAF GOTY.

Pallas

W72gFPN.jpg

Honestly I don’t think it’s needed. Wasn’t Nintendo’s seal of quality logo born out of a necessity at the time for the NES because we kind of had something called a video game crash before Nintendo came in because so
many crappy games by every company you can think of started releasing their stuff on Atari and whatnot?

EDMIX

Okay you just turned this thread to something truly interesting here. Great ideas! Maybe you could make a serious thread about this with a better title?

Too many (including myself) start throwing out 10/10 scores after just a few hours. Then change our score later. That’s why a game like Halo Infinite can become GAF GOTY.

I just might do that. We'd need to think of how those scores would be set up or let the thread make it.

Honestly I don’t think it’s needed. Wasn’t Nintendo’s seal of quality logo born out of a necessity at the time for the NES because we kind of had something called a video game crash before Nintendo came in because so
many crappy games by every company you can think of started releasing their stuff on Atari and whatnot?

Sure, but we are at that time where so much indies exist that its hard to find what is a fire title in a sea of so many "meh" ones, but those "meh" titles should still be able to exist and get their shot, merely we need a way to filter all of that out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Like 60fps or something.

zqqxEIf.png

Granted, 60fps doesn't guarantee a good game but it will at least guarantee its not shitty 30fps
LJN. Got to be the worst game maker back then.

Amazingly how many recognizable licenses they got back in the day. It's like they spent 95% of the budget on securing a name and 5% of development.

Never knew till now they even trademarked a shitty word Enteractive.

Edit: Google says Enteractive was their dev team.

Last edited:
If they did that then that would ultimately devalue the trash they decide to put up on their digital storefront that doesn't have a "Seal of Quality". Why would they want to do that?

That's all. Time for breakfast.

Pallas

I just might do that. We'd need to think of how those scores would be set up or let the thread make it.

Sure, but we are at that time where so much indies exist that its hard to find what is a fire title in a sea of so many "meh" ones, but those "meh" titles should still be able to exist and get their shot, merely we need a way to filter all of that out.
Not disagreeing with you there, I was mainly just pointing out that the Nintendo seal back then was more of a necessity because consumer confidence in video games was pretty shot after the crash.

Video game industry now is extremely profitable, and healthy, it’s where it’s at now thanks to investments and innovation from the likes of Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, etc. Japan alone pretty much saved it.

W72gFPN.jpg

Yeah knack needs that seal of quality, what the hell is this rubbish? You done lost your mind buddy.

GymWolf

I would certainly hope so, but something tells me this is just some poor attempt at some passive aggressive reaction or just bait. No healthy person actually asks these questions or makes a thread about it.
Well op made me chuckle so if his aim was to entartain people, well done.

Top Bottom