• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Playstation needs second showcase this year

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Adam Sandler Golf GIF

giphy.gif

Live look at Phil Spencer after the showcase.

Heh, well on paper if they told you we'd see:

- Spider-Man 2
- Bungie's new IP
- Haven's new IP
- Firealk's new IP
- Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake
- Dragon's Dogma 2
- Alan Wake 2
- A Western Souls Action Game

I think most people would say, DAMN that's going to be a good showcase.

Problem is, we got almost nothing tangible from any of these, and some reveals (like Haven) basically dismissed everyone on what the studio is even doing.

Salz01

I think the Microsoft Acti Blizz acquisition has something to do with it. Can’t wait till that shit is over.

Kokoloko85

Yeah that sucked big time. They need another one and quick but I doubt we get anything accept a bad State of play that shows us Spiderman 2 and a bunch of repeats from last night. And then another State of Play just for Spiderman 2

Mr.Phoenix

Do we really want to see the games that aren't ready to be shown? It's not going to make them release any sooner.
Gamers are funny like that, aren't they?

Don't show the games= problem
Show it early and it looks janky = problem
Show it and it releases 3 years after = problem
Dont hint at showing anything and they come up with ideas of what should be shown then they aren't shown = problem

Tough crowd.

sainraja

I don't doubt this.

And this is why the Showcase was disappointing. The games we wanted to see would likely be pretty much ready to be shown; Sony just didn't show them.

I do think a 2nd show before 2023 ends was always their plan, and we may see it in September. It's just a poor strategy to have as the 1st half-baked show gets you negative criticism (rightly so).
Sony showed Spiderman and Marathon which are now first party games. Marathon is basically a new IP.

2024 also has: Lost Souls Aside, Rise of the Ronin, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and Firewalk's game.

2024 will also likely have: TLOU Online, Silent Hill 2, Death Stranding 2. And maybe even Wolverine. Twisted Metal would also fit in there easily.

But I hear you. Some of these need to be officially confirmed with a release window.
If that’s the case then they all needed to feature in this showcase or at the very least Summer games fest.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

"Updates and reveals on PlayStation’s new hardware, in addition to focusing solely on 1st party titles would be the showcase that PlayStation needs to set up the next phase. It’s understood that a lot of the games we’re waiting on seeing are pretty much ready, so I’m not sure why Sony decided to wait this time around"

Because of Jimbo. He doesn't want us thinking about games that can't be purchased in 2023. He thinks we will skip the good games this year, if we see awesome games coming out in 2024.

angrod14

15 min of Part III gampelay featuring Abby as the main character, with GPU-melting graphics. That's all they need to drop. Light the flame baby.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If that’s the case then they all needed to feature in this showcase or at the very least Summer games fest.
Apart from TLOU Online (which Neil promised we'll see a lot more of in 2023) and Twisted Metal (which hasn't been officially announced yet), we have seen all of these games in different places and shows.

They just didn't appear in this Showcase (which is why it was so disappointing as it defied those expectations).

I don't doubt this.

And this is why the Showcase was disappointing. The games we wanted to see would likely be pretty much ready to be shown; Sony just didn't show them.

I do think a 2nd show before 2023 ends was always their plan, and we may see it in September. It's just a poor strategy to have as the 1st half-baked show gets you negative criticism (rightly so).

They wanted to give the stage to their new purchases; i.e. Bungie, Haven and Firewalk, as well as the big 3rd party new game announcements; e.g. Dragon's Dogma 2 (fuck yeah!), MGS3 remake, Phantom Blade 0.

I can understand it.

I was underwhelmed by Haven's new game and the news that Firewalk and Bungie's new games are PvP, but I understand that PvP is the bread and butter of the biggest Live Service games. I was hoping their Live Service efforts would be more like Destiny 2, Warframe or Genshin Impact, i.e. SP with some MP modes... but ok, those games are just not for me.

That said, I wasn't overall disappointed with the show. There were enough games in there for me to be excited for. More than a handful I will certainly buy. In which case, I would argue the criticism isn't warranted at all, as it's largely based on your very subjective gaming tastes based on how the games shown appealed to you.

The idea that there's any consensus on that is just fallacious.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They wanted to give the stage to their new purchases; i.e. Bungie, Haven and Firewalk, as well as the big 3rd party new game announcements; e.g. Dragon's Dogma 2 (fuck yeah!), MGS3 remake, Phantom Blade 0.

I can understand it.

I was underwhelmed by Haven's new game and the news that Firewalk and Bungie's new games are PvP, but I understand that PvP is the bread and butter of the biggest Live Service games. I was hoping their Live Service efforts would be more like Destiny 2, Warframe or Genshin Impact, i.e. SP with some MP modes... but ok, those games are just not for me.

That said, I wasn't overall disappointed with the show. There were enough games in there for me to be excited for. More than a handful I will certainly buy. In which case, I would argue the criticism isn't warranted at all, as it's largely based on your very subjective gaming tastes based on how the games shown appealed to you.

The idea that there's any consensus on that is just fallacious.
I can respect that. But in that case, I'd argue they should have shown proper gameplay of those 3 games.

Like we literally have no idea how Concord and Fairgames even play or look like.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
First I've heard about people being "disappointed": SM2 looked good, AW2 looked good, DD2 looked good, another TALOS is coming (and in a more open looking and even crazier environment than the first) and it looked and there were a ton of other games that I feel should have given folks quite a bit too look forward to in the next couple months (there was quite a bit there, but those were the titles that lodged in my headspace).

. . .feels like folks are upset that this wasn't a cavalcade of AAA exclusives.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sure, but if they have nothing to show then making another showcase is just pointless.

I can respect that. But in that case, I'd argue they should have shown proper gameplay of those 3 games.

Like we literally have no idea how Concord and Fairgames even play or look like.

I don't disagree, but those three game trailers alone didn't comprise the entirety of the show. There was a lot more there beyond those games.

So your level of disappointment is based on what you saw that appeals to your particular gaming tastes. Not everything will appeal to everyone.

Sony has always made games that don't appeal to everyone. They pride themselves and their success on making a varied catalog of games. This show was a solid representation of that ambition.

kuncol02

Banned
Because of Jimbo. He doesn't want us thinking about games that can't be purchased in 2023. He thinks we will skip the good games this year, if we see awesome games coming out in 2024.
And that's why they shown CGI teasers of games with planned release dates 2024+?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And that's why they shown CGI teasers of games with planned release dates 2024+?

He knows nobody cares about CGI trailers. He knows it won't stick with us. CGI trailers are for the birds and don't count.

Top Bottom