• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Playstation needs second showcase this year

Tomi

"Updates and reveals on PlayStation’s new hardware, in addition to focusing solely on 1st party titles would be the showcase that PlayStation needs to set up the next phase. It’s understood that a lot of the games we’re waiting on seeing are pretty much ready, so I’m not sure why Sony decided to wait this time around"

Draugoth

Gold Member

Tom Henderson: Playstation needs second showcase this year​

Jim Ryan looking at Sony share's rising 5% after the showcase:

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

"Updates and reveals on PlayStation’s new hardware, in addition to focusing solely on 1st party titles would be the showcase that PlayStation needs to set up the next phase. It’s understood that a lot of the games we’re waiting on seeing are pretty much ready, so I’m not sure why Sony decided to wait this time around"
I don't doubt this.

And this is why the Showcase was disappointing. The games we wanted to see would likely be pretty much ready to be shown; Sony just didn't show them.

I do think a 2nd show before 2023 ends was always their plan, and we may see it in September. It's just a poor strategy to have as the 1st half-baked show gets you negative criticism (rightly so).

feynoob

Isn't this the same guy tweeting that PlayStation and Xbox fans have a lot to look forward to at the upcoming showcases?
Spiderman 2 and Gass for PS and Forza plus starfield for Xbox.

Both fans eating good this year...

./s

Fbh

I don't see how.
After the Keighley show, MS event and the other streams planned for June I don't see there being a whole lot of third party titles left that they can gives us updates for.

skit_data

I wouldn’t count out this is what they’re actually planning. Main argument this could be the case would be that we know for a fact that they have more stuff in production (Death Stranding 2, TLOU multiplayer, Horizon multiplayer, Twisted Metal etc.).

Edit: and of course that we have a precedent; they did have 2 showcases in 2020 so it’s not crazy to imagine they would have a similar approach this year.

Last edited:
I really think we need another September/October showcase but with Sony who the heck knows.

I think most people were expecting Spiderman 2 to be there and because it's safe and known it would lead the show, but not a friggin' show ender

But if the games aren't ready we won't get one.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Doubt.

I don't see that much will be effected if by the end of the year, someone doesn't know about a game 3 to 4 years out.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Do we really want to see the games that aren't ready to be shown? It's not going to make them release any sooner.
But that's the question: are they really not ready to be shown?
  • Firewalk's game is scheduled for 2024. Has been for many months now. That is obviously ready to be shown.
  • TLOU Online's deep dives/more info in 2023 was confirmed by Neil last year. They could show it as well.
  • Death Stranding 2 is ready to be shown. It'll likely show up in Geoff's show.
  • Stellar Blade could have been shown with more gameplay and a release date.
  • Same for Rise of of the Ronin.
  • Silent Hill 2 seems ready for a brief look as well.
On the contrary,
  • They showed Firewalk's game with absolutely nothing. It could have been a tweet and achieved the same results.
  • Haven's game they showed was the same. We have no idea how it even plays.
  • Same for Marathon.
So there is an argument that the 3 games they showed perhaps wasn't even ready to be shown. (But we know that's not the case with Firewalk's, so it is more about how they chose to present those games).

That's why I think there might be another showcase later this year.

Remember this is exactly how they showed Demon's Souls and Miles Morales in June 2020. No release dates; just teasers, despite both releasing in a few months. Then gameplay and release dates came in the second show.

Wooxsvan

please... they need like 5 or 6 BIG games ready to show w/ actual decent gameplay before they do another show. they just not ready

EDMIX

• Firewalk's game is scheduled for 2024. Has been for many months now. That is obviously ready to be shown.
  • TLOU Online's deep dives/more info in 2023 was confirmed by Neil last year. They could show it as well.
On the contrary,
  • They showed Firewalk's game with absolutely nothing. It could have been a tweet and achieved the same results.
  • Same for Marathon.
So there is an argument that the 3 games they showed perhaps wasn't even ready to be shown. (But we know that's not the case with Firewalk's, so it is more about how they chose to present those games).

Remember this is exactly how they showed Demon's Souls and Miles Morales in June 2020. No release dates; just teasers, despite both releasing in a few months. Then gameplay and release dates came in the second show.

Likely.

I think they want it more spread out to give each game more individual attention. So I expect them to drip feed out info, have a State Of Play about some of those games to do a deep dive etc

FrankWza

I really think we need another September/October showcase but with Sony who the heck knows.

I think most people were expecting Spiderman 2 to be there and because it's safe and known it would lead the show, but not a friggin' show ender

But if the games aren't ready we won't get one.
They don't want to step on each other's reveals would be my guess. Even Wolverine wasn't teased again.

gothmog

Gold Member
On the contrary,
  • Same for Marathon.

Makes so much sense but you're arguing against people's hype, hope, and dreams. Bootlicker 😂

Robb

Gold Member
Would be nice with at least one showcase containing something from their major studios..

Kinda doubt it though. Seems like they thought CGI GAAS announcements would somehow have the same effect as their regular stuff.

Lupin25

It would make sense. But I don’t see another showcase, maybe a bigger SoP.

There’s too many games with the “2023” tag that have yet to be delayed or are to presumably come in Q4. Silent Hill 2, Stellar Blade & now Helldivers 2 are a couple of examples.

Maybe Sony is holding back to appease regulators while the MS/Acti-Blizzard deal proceeds. This was the least amount of exclusives I’ve seen them show in awhile, and once again (as good as SM2 looks), they’re leaning heavily on Insomniac.

The ones I was honestly 100% certain would be there were:

TLOU Online
Helldivers 2
Twisted Metal
PC Ports like Ratchet
Spider-Man 2

I imagine there’ll be a late September showcase once Spider-Man 2 is out.

They’ve got to outline their 2024 plans because at the moment their confirmed line up is Firewalk’s game

icerock

I said it last night and I'll say it again, none of these insiders/clout chasers have any clue about PlayStation first-party lineup or software. They all paraded MGS3 Remake but it leaked from Konami's end, each and every single one of them prior to Showcase were hyping it up. They don't know shit.

This guy has a source when it comes to PS hardware but nothing on software. It's nothing but speculation on his end, if Sony had plenty games ready to show. They would've shown them yesterday.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

TLOU Online
Helldivers 2
Twisted Metal
PC Ports like Ratchet
Spider-Man 2

They’ve got to outline their 2024 plans because at the moment their confirmed line up is Firewalk’s game
You are not getting R&C on the PC until Direct Storage is running optimal and more end user saturated. And nobody quote me with that disingenuous DF video/article.

But yea, the no Factions 2 was a major head scratcher. I am sure they have a separate thing planned for it, but a dammed teaser coming off the HBO show hype would have been... hype.

Last edited:
This clown again, dude STFU :messenger_grinning: will ya

I CAN'T BELIEVE SONY IS SO BAD AT KEEP SECRETS, THIS CLOW KNEW SONY PLANS FOR NEW HARDWARE MONTHS BACK, WTF :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SilentUser

On the contrary,
  • Same for Marathon.

I wonder if they are going to show gameplay of those games that were present just in the form of teasers (CGI) on Summer Game Fest instead of doing another Showcase. Would rather have a new Showcase (a good one), though.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Would be nice with at least one showcase containing something from their major studios..

Kinda doubt it though. Seems like they thought CGI GAAS announcements would somehow have the same effect as their regular stuff.
Good that Sony will learn that it's not the same because of a clear negative reaction.

NEbeast

Did they really need to go all out after the crap couple of years xbox have had? The market dictates these things and MS have been shitting the bed for 2 years. They will no doubt show more stuff if-and-when MS have a banger to talk about.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

TLOU Online
Helldivers 2
Twisted Metal
PC Ports like Ratchet
Spider-Man 2

2024 also has: Lost Souls Aside, Rise of the Ronin, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, and Firewalk's game.

2024 will also likely have: TLOU Online, Silent Hill 2, Death Stranding 2. And maybe even Wolverine. Twisted Metal would also fit in there easily.

But I hear you. Some of these need to be officially confirmed with a release window.

Top Bottom