• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo double down on working with "AA" studios?

Jubenhimer

One thing I like about Nintendo vs. most major publishers is that they're regularly able to occupy a middle-ground between AAA and Indie games in terms of scope and production values. With most of their games, you can tell they're given a larger budget than a typical Indie game, but most also don't rival the sheer costs of conventional AAA games. Over the years, Nintendo has worked regularly with mid-sized independent studios in both Japan and the West, such as Good Feel, Platinum Games, ARIKA, and Next Level Games.

However, it's getting a bit harder to find developers in this field, as Sony and Microsoft are buying up more studios to prepare for next generation. I feel like Nintendo could be a viable "AA" publisher in addition to their main AAA franchises, in a similar vein to THQ Nordic or Take-Two's Private Division. I think Nintendo should try and get more developers like From and DOTNOD to make original "AA" exclusive titles for them, in addition to their regular partners.

Ten_Fold

Sony’s been making super story driven movie games, Microsoft is just halo/gears this gen(maybe more next gen) sooo Nintendo pretty much just makes fun video games with story but more focus on good gameplay.

What Nintendo needs is western development studios to fill the void still left by the departure of Silicon Knights and Factor 5.

The Switch severely lacks titles like Eternal Darkness and Star Wars Rogue Leader which are considered by many as two of the top 10 Gamecube games ever.

I love Fire Emblem and Platinums stuff but I definitely feel like Nintendo needs some big exclusives from 2nd party western studios that are outside of Nintendo's core franchises.

Jubenhimer

What Nintendo needs is western development studios to fill the void still left by the departure of Silicon Knights and Factor 5.

The Switch severely lacks titles like Eternal Darkness and Star Wars Rogue Leader which are considered by many as two of the top 10 Gamecube games ever.

I love Fire Emblem and Platinums stuff but I definitely feel like Nintendo needs some big exclusives from 2nd party western studios that are outside of Nintendo's core franchises.

I agree, but not necessarily to compete with Sony and Microsoft. Rather, Nintendo should be looking for Western-made games with a unique feel from others on the market. Produce stuff Sony and Microsoft wouldn't. Basically, Nintendo needs to expand their western development relationships to find more innovative western games, rather than just a Nintendo "Uncharted". Sony has AAA, Mature, story-driven action games locked, so Nintendo should instead find studios who want to make something more original, and not as large-scale or mass market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom