• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I, as someone who started zelda with botw, play the older games? will I still like them?

LakeOf9

I played BOTW as my first Zelda game (and first Nintendo game really) and I loved it its one of my favorite games ever

I am playing TOTK now and I think I might love it even more which I dont even know how you do that

But Zelda is a 40 year old series, and it has a lot of games, and those pre-BOTW games are still considered among the best games ever made.

My question is, will someone like me who started with BOTW be able to enjoy them? Should I go back and play them? I love BOTW and TOTK for their sense of adventure and exploration and discovery, and how epic the quest you are on feels, because even though the story in these games is very minor, it feels like it's your own adventure as you try to save the world. I also love how fun the mechanics are, they feel like toys, basically, where they take these core concepts and then break them open and do a billion different things with them. And of course, I love the openness and how freeform the games are.

But my understanding is the older games are very different in style and gameplay to the point that they might as well be a whole different series - basically like Resident Evil with 4, or God of War with 2018. So given that, is there any point in me trying the older games? Will I still like them, given why I like the new ones? If I should play them, which should I try?

Soodanim

Gold Member
The top two answers by poll will always be A Link To The Past and Ocarina of Time.

LTTP is a 2D game for the SNES that defined 2D Zelda gameplay, and OOT is the sequel for the N64 that defined 3D Zelda. Both are excellent and highly revered decades later for good reason.

OOT is one of my favourite games of all time, and will be particularly relevant to any Zelda story ever including TOTK. That's how pivotal it is.

Last edited:

Sakura

It really depends on why you like BotW and TotK. If the only reason you like those games is the open world open ended gameplay, or say the crafting ability in TotK, then yeah, there is no guarantee you will like the older games.
But, if you like the story, characters, writing, puzzle solving, etc, then those things are still present in the older games.

Either way, some of them are considered amongst the greatest games ever made. Even if they are quite different from BotW and TotK, there is still a good chance you will like them.
I would say start with Ocarina of Time and see if you like it.

Impotaku

The best way is to work backwards going from newest to oldest but none of the previous ones are any way like BOTW the leap is quite big in how they play and you may not like them at all especially as you hit the really old ones. However they all have puzzles & themes that stay through the series playing the old ones teaches you how puzzles tend to work in the later ones.

Jinzo Prime

I played BOTW as my first Zelda game (and first Nintendo game really) and I loved it its one of my favorite games ever

I am playing TOTK now and I think I might love it even more which I dont even know how you do that

But Zelda is a 40 year old series, and it has a lot of games, and those pre-BOTW games are still considered among the best games ever made.

My question is, will someone like me who started with BOTW be able to enjoy them? Should I go back and play them? I love BOTW and TOTK for their sense of adventure and exploration and discovery, and how epic the quest you are on feels, because even though the story in these games is very minor, it feels like it's your own adventure as you try to save the world. I also love how fun the mechanics are, they feel like toys, basically, where they take these core concepts and then break them open and do a billion different things with them. And of course, I love the openness and how freeform the games are.

But my understanding is the older games are very different in style and gameplay to the point that they might as well be a whole different series - basically like Resident Evil with 4, or God of War with 2018. So given that, is there any point in me trying the older games? Will I still like them, given why I like the new ones? If I should play them, which should I try?

A weird suggestion is to try A Link Between Worlds. It takes a well known version of Hyrule and remixes it with innovative mechanics and items. I started it recently and have been thoroughly impressed by the classic Zelda to modern game design balance.

Laieon

The best way is to work backwards going from newest to oldest

If we're strictly talking 3D titles, someone who has never played any pre-BOTW game going from BOTW/TOTK to SS sure would be interesting. To me, SS focuses on literally the exact opposite traits of the series that BOTW and TOTK do (it has a huge emphasis on dungeons and puzzles, it's very linear, etc...). If someone got into the series through BOTW and came to love that game because of the sense of exploration, I don't think I'd recommend SS as the first game pre-BOTW game they try out.

If we're including 2D, I think A Link Between Worlds would be a great jumping off point because it's not a massive departure from the formula popularized with ALTTP/OOT, but like BOTW and TOTK, it's also a non-linear Zelda game (I actually prefer it's way of doing non-linear Zelda over BOTW).

If we're just throwing out random suggestions, Wind Waker is my all time favorite game.

A weird suggestion is to try A Link Between Worlds. It takes a well known version of Hyrule and remixes it with innovative mechanics and items. I started it recently and have been thoroughly impressed by the classic Zelda to modern game design balance.

Lol, beat me to it.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’d say yes, they’re all fantastic games.

Try one of the old games and see if you enjoy the ‘formula’. Most prior games follow a similar structure so if you enjoy one you’ll likely enjoy the rest as well.

I’d go for Twilight Princess.

I will keep my answer extremely simple:

I love BOTW and TOTK for their sense of adventure and exploration and discovery, and how epic the quest you are on feels, because even though the story in these games is very minor, it feels like it's your own adventure as you try to save the world.
You will experience this with the older Zelda games.

I also love how fun the mechanics are, they feel like toys, basically, where they take these core concepts and then break them open and do a billion different things with them. And of course, I love the openness and how freeform the games are.
You will not experience this with the older Zelda games.

Edit: And my biggest advice: save Skyward Sword for last(because you will hate it).

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
For 3D Zelda: Start with The Wind Waker and then go to Twilight Princess.
After that, it's up to you what to play

For 2D Zelda: Start with A Link to the Past, then Links Awakening (any version works), then A Link Between Worlds, and finally the original game.

OOT is in my opinion God tier game the dungeons the music the characters the story the owl the fishing the fucking water temple days spent.

Holammer

Will you enjoy them? Probably not if you are so young BotW was your first. But do try them with emulators starting with the NES games. It's not like you have to 100% everything, just have a sample and continue if you enjoy it.
I like to think Link to the Past was 16-bit perfection, but you need prescription rose-tinted glasses for some of them.

Success

Sorry OP, I will be the one to break the truth to you.

If you started with Breath of the Wild you will NOT like the older Zelda games. Their style is vastly different and there is a reason why the hardcore Zelda fans don't like Breath of the wild.

All these people telling you to play Ocarina of Time have their nostalgia glasses on. If Ocarina of Time came out today it would be an 7/10 at best.

If you really want to check out the older Zelda games, start with the newest ones first and then keep going backwards. So start with Skyward Sword and see how you find it.

You need to listen to the moderate Zelda fans that don't have the nostalgia glasses on.

EruditeHobo

A Link to the Past is evergreen... it controls as wonderfully today as it did back then, the bosses and puzzles and dungeons and exploration and story all holds up, and that's because the game controls so perfectly.

The same cannot be said for many other Zelda games IMO.

I'd recommend you try ALTTP, and if you're into that experience go back and try the original.

If you try ALTTP and DON'T like it, I'd suggest trying Windwaker or Ocarina; maybe you're only into the 3D Zelda combat, which was defined/outlined in Ocarina.

If what you like about BOTW/TOTK is the exploration, the open world-iness, the way the world systems interact, the (lame) shrines, and cooking minigame bullshit... I'd suggest don't go back. None of this is previously present in the best previous offerings of the series.

Davesky

Ocarina of Time is one my favourite games of all time, and I didn’t play it until 2012. As long as you grew up and can appreciate that generation any classic game is a timeless experience,

cireza

Depending on which game the insufferable tutorials and rails on which you are set will test your patience to the limit.

2D games are probably a safer bet than something like Twilight Princess.

Ogbert

You might struggle with some of the older 3D titles. There’s a lot of bloat in there.

But you need to play Link to the Past, Link between Worlds, Ocarina of Time and Windwaker.

Three

To be honest as somebody who has played most Zelda games in chronological order near release I wouldn't know how it feels to go back and play the older ones for the first time but I do believe they're still good games and worth a play through. So I'd say yes.

Yerd

I have played BOTW and I think maybe moments of the older games. The only other game I played was Windwaker and I enjoyed that. I was just never a Zelda fan, even though I grew up in the era of the original Zelda games. I understand why they are loved. I was never bit by the zelda bug.

Windwaker is a different visual style, but I think it's still that 3d action genre. It's worth playing.

Watch a video of the older Zelda games and see if that's something you want to get involved in. But, I'd wager you won't like them.

MagnesD3

Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time are top 10 of all time material so if you like good game design you might wanna play those.

Last edited:

CuNi

You have to differentiate between the 2D and 3D Games.
I am someone who loved the 2D Zeldas, but generally disliked the 3D ones, which is why I didn't play either BotW nor TotK.
On the other hand, my GF loves BotW and has an even better time with TotK, but she hates the 2D Zeldas while still somewhat enjoying the older 3D games.

I don't know if that Info helps, but it's just something that I found out, that for some it's not really "new vs old" Zelda, but rather "2D vs 3D Zelda" where the breaks happen.

K2D

Banned
I have tried going back to the older games, but they do not give me the same enjoyment that the newer games in the series or other modern games bring. I'd sooner visit newer gems I haven't played like the Mario Galaxies.

I grew up on NES and SNES, and TLoZ:ALTTP in particular has a special place in my heart. I would not recommend playing the older games on reputation alone. You would have to have a goal of a completionist.

ungalo

A Link To The Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and even Twilight Princess are must-play games even today (and most of the other games are also good). Will you find in those what you liked about BoTW ? I don't know.

MarkMe2525

I grew up around Zelda but have always admired from afar. BOTW was my first jump into a Zelda game and believe it's one of the best games ever made. Right afterwards I started Links Awakening on GB which I thought was fun but not great. I am running through OOT 3D atm and I'm having a good time with it. It is a game of it's time, but expertly crafted.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You might like them. They're very different games but have their own charms.

I think Ocarina of Time is a very elegant and timeless game, in spite of its age, it plays extremely well and is just a wonderful title, especially on 3DS. Definitely give it a try and if you like it, I think you'd enjoy Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword (HD), etc.

Hey Blinkin

If you can get ahold of a 3DS, play Ocarina of Time and A Link Between World's.

I'm not sure if A Link to the Past is available anymore on there, but it's definitely a must play.

Those are the games I'm most fond of and would play another 2D Zelda in a second.

Laieon

I don't know if that Info helps, but it's just something that I found out, that for some it's not really "new vs old" Zelda, but rather "2D vs 3D Zelda" where the breaks happen.

I've only really enjoyed the Oracle games and ALBW on the 2D front, but on the 3D side I definitely think there's room for a 3rd split now. 2D, Classic 3D, and BOTW-esque 3D. I had fun with BOTW, but most of my time spent in it had me missing the classic 3D formula because it didn't really scratch that Zelda itch.

Pilgrimzero

Zelda 1 is still great for its purity. Get sword, will travel.

Zelda LTTP is still bar none the bear Zelda game before it started to lean to far into anime territory.

Last edited:
The Legend of Zelda (NES) is my favorite game of all time, and I've come to terms that it always will be. But, if you weren't there at the time, I can't recommend it. It won't have the same effect.

Link to the Past, however, still holds up. You should absolutely play that. I would also recommend playing Ocarina of Time, Windwaker and Link's Awakening remake.

lachesis

If you want just a "taste" of what the Zelda games are like before BOTW...

2D: Link To The Past (This is probably Super Metroid of all 2D Zelda. It's the pinnacle, and all the others kinda fall/based on this one)
3D: Ocarina of Time (Same for 3D Zelda games - except BOTW)

But chances are, if you like either one of above like many of us, you'll probably want to seek out and play them all.

Of course, just like you can enjoy both Resident Evil 2 and RE4 for different things. It's just that there's no guarantee, you simply have to try it yourself. OoT and ALttP are not my absolute favorites, but they have the strongest consensus for being the best for each style - 2D and 3D, which are also two different beasts altogether. So start with those imo. For Ocarina, the 3DS version would be much easier to digest because the graphics are much less crude and the menus are better.

Last edited:
It's been pretty much answered in this thread, but yea, they play completely different than the 2 newest Zelda's. The older games are fantastic though, and imo even better. My top 5 that I would recommend:

Ocarina Of time
A link to the past
Twilight princess
A link between worlds
Links awakening

Side note, shout out gaf for how much love for TP in this thread. Really feel like that game gets shit on too much and never understood why. It has a pretty awful start but once you start hitting dungeons, it's as good as any Zelda imo.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I personally love ocarina of time but don’t think it stands the rest of time from a gameplay perspective. It’s a product of its time.

A link to the past though is still fantastic to this day. So is Windwaker.

Skyward sword remaster should be viable too.

Not sure about twilight princess.

The switch version of links awakening is nice, and could be a good place to start if you have a switch.

The 3 best old ones (imho) are OOT, Links awakening, and Link to the Past. Link to the past is the best one overall, I think.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Play thru in order.

I never played the first 2 til a few years ago. The first is really satisfying as it opens up. The second is great, but there is some intolerable jank.

LttP is worth it, but can be really frustrating. Link’s Awakening and remake are perfection as is Ocarina of Time. Majora’s Mask is good, but way overrated, Skyward Sword is better.

BlackTron

As you have a Switch, I would advise you to look at the remake they made for Links awakening. It could be costly for what is a old gameboy game, but there is fun waiting for you if you try it.

This is my recommendation. It's the core Zelda formula chiseled down to what works without any extra fat whatsoever, and being a Game Boy game they had no room for it. Highly approachable. Yeah, I know it's hard to believe a GB title is THAT great (even a remake) but if you're impressed with what Nintendo can do on Switch, you should see their first portable Zelda game

Only downside is that the art style in the remake doesn't really do it justice. I would play the old version, but having the extra buttons and qol improvements is huge.

I would start there and if you like the way things are looking, get Ocarina of Time. Look into Ship of Harkinian, a PC port. I just hate how the experience is sold short without a real N64 controller, you can make do with Xbox but the real thing is way more intuitive with the C buttons. Using the stick/extra shoulder buttons instead sucks but will get you through the game.

MagnesD3

It's been pretty much answered in this thread, but yea, they play completely different than the 2 newest Zelda's. The older games are fantastic though, and imo even better. My top 5 that I would recommend:

Ocarina Of time
A link to the past
Twilight princess
A link between worlds
Links awakening

Side note, shout out gaf for how much love for TP in this thread. Really feel like that game gets shit on too much and never understood why. It has a pretty awful start but once you start hitting dungeons, it's as good as any Zelda imo.
My only guess on why people hate on Twilight Princess is that most people don't play Zelda for the dungeons (what makes Zelda Game design peak) or don't enjoy the darker tone of Zelda prefering the light hearted anime/cartoon esk aestetic or play Zelda for the Exploration over the puzzle design.

Then you might say why is Ocarina ranked so high then on people's list (as they are two masterclass games cut from a similar cloth), I'd say that Ocarina was most people's first Zelda or 3d Zelda Game so that made them love it more than they normally would.

I beat Twilight Princess in the middle of high school and it was my second 3d Zelda (Ww my first) and I beat Ocarina (N64 Wii version) when I was 23 so it was definitely just the quality of the games for me.

TP and OoT are top 10 games of all time material BTW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom