• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Chapter 9 just gave me the biggest scare in the game so far, it's hard to explain what it's like but a similar thing happened in PT with the first full Lisa reveal (albeit that one I screamed and jumped out of my chair).

I'll spoiler it for the 5 people who haven't finished this game in the OT yet.

I was in
the mansion, I leave the safe room and go in to the dining room. I thought I opened the door and when I look back it's battered down (it turns out it was battered down already, since I found out a few minutes later when I replayed). Suddenly that weird static noise hits out of nowhere and i freak out as im waiting for something to get me. then the undead assassin's creed crosplayer slowly comes around the corner.
. my hands and lower body lost control and got like weird vibrating goosebumps almost as if I was really high on weed and took a bad trip. Pretty sure my heart sskipped a few beats too

Nemesis_

Have you upgraded the flash bolts at all?

I have, but I've got the last upgrade to go. I just don't have enough tools to make more of them beyond the three I've got in my play through.

Tempted to roll back to another chapter just to get more supplies but I got so, so close last night so I reckon I could do it.

I wish there was a checkpoint between the two doors so much

EDIT 2 HOURS LATER: Does anyone know if the second door is triggered by time or by enemies defeated? I swear that no enemies spawn (beyond the three that jump in at the begnning of the second door phase) until I start attacking so wondering if I should just run around.

cucuchu

Chapter 9 just gave me the biggest scare in the game so far, it's hard to explain what it's like but a similar thing happened in PT with the first full Lisa reveal (albeit that one I screamed and jumped out of my chair).

I'll spoiler it for the 5 people who haven't finished this game in the OT yet.

I was in
the mansion, I leave the safe room and go in to the dining room. I thought I opened the door and when I look back it's battered down (it turns out it was battered down already, since I found out a few minutes later when I replayed). Suddenly that weird static noise hits out of nowhere and i freak out as im waiting for something to get me. then the undead assassin's creed crosplayer slowly comes around the corner.
. my hands and lower body lost control and got like weird vibrating goosebumps almost as if I was really high on weed and took a bad trip. Pretty sure my heart sskipped a few beats too

I just got to Chapter 14 and so far Chapter 9 had been the highlight of the game for me. That part you mention is set up very well and it seems to happen at random too so you just never know when he will appear.

Pretty solid game though I am glad I waited so I can now play it on the PS4 Pro with a smooth frame rate and no letter box.

Nemesis_

theevilwithin58mu2g.png

Can everyone take a moment to appreciate what this image represents (AKUMU mode)

my god

I just got to Chapter 14 and so far Chapter 9 had been the highlight of the game for me. That part you mention is set up very well and it seems to happen at random too so you just never know when he will appear.

Pretty solid game though I am glad I waited so I can now play it on the PS4 Pro with a smooth frame rate and no letter box.

I'm playing with letter box on after the suggestions of this thread.

The spotty framerate and image quality combined with the enemies and atmosphere kinda remind me of Bloodborne which is neat since that's my single player game of the gen.

Man TEW looks really blurry in that image. Console?

it runs at 900p or lower even on ps4 with letterboxing and has 100% film grain on by default

also probably dealing with some compression from uploading

the lighting in chapter 6 is also not as kind to the game as the darker chapters

however sebastian's model actually does look really good up close but it's funny since kidman and joseph's faces are so flat

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah the Xbox One version doesn't look that hot.

it runs at 900p or lower even on ps4 with letterboxing and has 100% film grain on by default

also probably dealing with some compression from uploading

the lighting in chapter 6 is also not as kind to the game as the darker chapters

however sebastian's model actually does look really good up close but it's funny since kidman and joseph's faces are so flat

Ouch I didn't think the console versions would look so rough. I was going to get my Dad the PS4 version since he likes RE4 but he might not mind this either way.

Pretty glad I played the PC version now even if it couldn't reach 60FPS at launch.

I thought I had hid in time at one point in chapter 9

I didn't

Another heart attack for the books

Chapter 9 has been so much scarier than the others for some reason, there's an abstract setpiece jumpscare with large power tools that got me pretty good too

Done with chapter 9, that was a doozy. Definitely the scariest one yet by a large margin.

I've got 18600 gel, will I even be able to get 50k for the final harpoon upgrade by the end of the game? Thinking of just spending it on other things.

Kazuhira

Traumas are such strange enemies,they don't know where you are but they know where to search.
That infamous room in ch10 is pretty difficult if you wanna go for the stealth kills.

holy shit I had no idea if you combined the two safe paintings in chapter 9 it makes a complete picture
tVGG_15897.jpg

also requoting just in hopes someone knows the answer before it gets dark out and I start playing again :p
Done with chapter 9, that was a doozy. Definitely the scariest one yet by a large margin.

I've got 18600 gel, will I even be able to get 50k for the final harpoon upgrade by the end of the game? Thinking of just spending it on other things.

myco666

Are you trying to kill her? Also I think you could hit 50k as long as you find bunch of gel from lockers and don't spend it on anything else.

Are you trying to kill her? Also I think you could hit 50k as long as you find bunch of gel from lockers and don't spend it on anything else.

yeah luckily i got gel from a locker and i killed a few of those meathook guys, only 7k away now

and yeah I am, I ran past her once but now I'm in the area with all the levers and pipes and I assume I have to kill her now

sphinx

the piano man
and yeah I am, I ran past her once but now I'm in the area with all the levers and pipes and I assume I have to kill her now

I don't remember very well but,
while it's possible to kill her with regular weapons, it's very hard on a first playthrough cause you're attacks need to be fire based, with shotguns or pistols, you're dealing very little damage so you'll be just wasting your ammo.

what the game wants you to do is to burn her with all the pipes there are, push a button to open the last door (which takes a while to unlock) and survive Laura's attacks while the door unlocks it and then escape.

you can try to kill her but make sure you burned her with every pipe possible and that your attacks don't miss also always use fire against her

I don't remember very well but,
while it's possible to kill her with regular weapons, it's very hard on a first playthrough cause you're attacks need to be fire based, with shotguns or pistols, you're dealing very little damage so you'll be just wasting your ammo.

what the game wants you to do is to burn her with all the pipes there are, push a button to open the last door (which takes a while to unlock) and survive Laura's attacks while the door unlocks it and then escape.

you can try to kill her but make sure you burned her with every pipe possible and that your attacks don't miss also always use fire against her
yeah I only use the fire stuff, learned that from chapter 5 when i killed her before

the layout is just pretty confusing but I'll figure it out

Ronin Ray

I don't know if it was mentioned here but a streamer named jigsaw killer I believe his name was beat akumu mode no deaths a few days ago. He worked on it for a while and it was amazing to watch

Majmun

PLayed the game on the Ps3 when it was first released. Didn't really enjoy it much. Stopped playing after the hard Laura fight. It had potential, but looked and played rough.

Now I'm playing it on the Ps4 and LOVING it. I don't know what happened but I'm enjoying it so much right now. It must be because of the clearer graphics and better framerate. And I discovered during chapter 5 that the letterbox can be turned off lol

Talking about graphics... this game has some amazing art. Some places look so great. I think I missed a lot of graphical details when playing it on the Ps3 because the whole game feels new to me.

This is psychological horror done right. It's amazing and I can't wait for part 2.

sphinx

the piano man
PLayed the game on the Ps3 when it was first released. Didn't really enjoy it much. Stopped playing after the hard Laura fight. It had potential, but looked and played rough.

Now I'm playing it on the Ps4 and LOVING it. I don't know what happened but I'm enjoying it so much right now. It must be because of the clearer graphics and better framerate. And I discovered during chapter 5 that the letterbox can be turned off lol

Talking about graphics... this game has some amazing art. Some places look so great. I think I missed a lot of graphical details when playing it on the Ps3 because the whole game feels new to me.

This is psychological horror done right. It's amazing and I can't wait for part 2.

I can't say why but this happens often with this game.

the first time I played it, I often was like "WTF is this?" and "oh come on, this sucks, worst game ever, you shitty RE4 wanna-be", I really didn't like it that much, just enough to push through it.

after subsequent playthroughs, which I initially did only cause I wanted trophies: "this is a masterpiece".

not sure what happens.

Kazuhira

Ok,i'm having a serious problem with the steam version now.
My pc keeps crashing and rebooting everytime i start up the game,the fuck is going on? Never had this problem before and i own the game for like 3+ years,why now?
Edit:fixed.

Kazuhira

Ch10,2,3 and 9 are definitely the best parts of the game imo.
Ch4,5,6,7,8,13,14 were great and ch1,11 were ok.
Ch12 is a fucking disgrace that should have never been included in the game.

I didn't enjoy my first time through Ch10 because it threw everything and the kitchen sink at you. But you'll really appreciate it in future playthroughs. It tests everything you learned about the game.

10 was my favourite

Yeah 10 is the best chapter in the game imo, at least as a peak of the intensity and dread the game has to offer.
I liked the atmosphere of the 2nd half of it and I didn't have an issue with the regular enemies. I loved going through the Sen's Fortress like torture chamber once the machinery kicked in but 2 things dragged it down. The last Laura encounter seemed really finicky with her one shot hit box and whether or not she burned and it had to be like perfect timing and aim, and I don't find clowns and all that scary at all so the first half wasn't really scary.

11 seems to be even worse though by introducing zombies with guns and having a scripted turret like sequence even if the gauntlet thing was cool and the ruined city is a nice backdrop.

I think other than that, 2, 3 and 9 have been my favorites. I also liked the one with a lot of the invisible enemies. 8 was extremely short for some reason though.

3 and 9 were standouts for me as well. I also really liked 6 and 7.

2 was a lot better for me on nightmare difficulty since I added a much more tactical and thoughtful element with how to proceed. 6 on the other hand became a frustrating nightmare lol.

11 is pretty uneven but I think there are some cool ideas in there still, but yeah 12 is definitely the lowpoint. Thankfully 13 and 14 are both pretty strong chapters and return to atmospheric dread.

Ch.7 was a favorite chapter my first time through. Great mix of traditional survival horror and action.

Sad because it's lame in subsequent runs. The surprise is gone.

Just finished chapter 15

Final boss seemed like it was ripped straight out of a western aaa game around 2010, so that was disappointing

I have all 3 dlcs, should I look up a story summary first or play those first?

Just finished chapter 15

Final boss seemed like it was ripped straight out of a western aaa game around 2010, so that was disappointing

I have all 3 dlcs, should I look up a story summary first or play those first?

Yeah the final boss is kinda lame, but I feel like it's more a cap off to the story and the real final boss was right before with
the two keepers

And nah, you don't need to look up the story. The DLC just straight up explains everything to you.

Yeah the final boss is kinda lame, but I feel like it's more a cap off to the story and the real final boss was right before with
the two keepers

And nah, you don't need to look up the story. The DLC just straight up explains everything to you.

that fight was actually pretty easy for me too, gave a lot of space and i also had quite a bit of trap parts and ammo at that point

also here's my stats

I'd reckon at least ~30 minutes is from AFKing and I did die a few times on purpose just to get a quick reset after messing up.

Top Bottom