• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Wow, much obliged. Will print and save.

These are just my experience though and I would miss some nuisance from not playing after 2 years, so yours might differ in priorities base on your playstyle.

Also, never, never, never, upgrade your melee. Melee in this game is nothing more than a last ditched effort to push enemies away... Unless you picked up a torch or an axe which would oneshot a normal enemy.

If you do have to melee an enemy don't swing wildly- smack them once and back away. If you keep swinging at them they would get you with their recovery attack which cannot be interrupted.

strafer

you werent kidding about stuff being scarce..but luckily i have played The Last of Us on grounded mode so I'm used to it. Makes it a little more intense.

Also you can ignore most of the enemies in TLOU. Not sure if that possible in this game.

you werent kidding about stuff being scarce..but luckily i have played The Last of Us on grounded mode so I'm used to it. Makes it a little more intense.

Also you can ignore most of the enemies in TLOU. Not sure if that possible in this game.

There are quite a few "kill room" encounters in the game that blocks progress until you kill everyone or just that specific one that has the key, but there are also a roughly even number of encounters where you can just run away if you want- this includes boss fights.

Some tricks if you have more resource than bullets-

1) Fire Body traps - If you light an enemy on the ground on fire, at the moment of ignition other very nearby enemies would also catch fire killing them. This is a bit risky and wonky though. Note that enemies don't catch fire if they walk through them, only at the point of ignition.

2) Throwing Bottles - If you have a good aim, throwing a bottle at the enemy's face would stagger them for a few seconds, allowing you to run up to them and ENTER STEALTH MODE to perform a stealth kill. It is very important that you remember to enter stealth mode or you'll just end up doing a normal melee.

3) Agony bolts - Flash and harpoon are the cheapest to make, I would pick an upgraded flash that gives you the potential to stealth kill 3 guys vs the harpoon that kills only 1. Also you can plant explosive bolts as traps, you can also remove them if they didn't trigger.

Just a heads up, Chapter 10 Spoilers:

This Laura boss fight is absolutely terrible and it takes a LONG time and ammo to kill her. I'm not trying anymore.

Edit: I'm going to take a long, extended break from this game. I hear Chapter 11 is the worst and I've had 0 fun playing Chapter 10. I don't know what Shinji Mikami was thinking while making this game. It has shades of potential but then the game quickly makes you forget all about it. This is probably the only "RE" game that I wish had QTEs during boss fights.

myco666

Just a heads up, Chapter 10 Spoilers:

This Laura boss fight is absolutely terrible and it takes a LONG time and ammo to kill her. I'm not trying anymore.

Edit: I'm going to take a long, extended break from this game. I hear Chapter 11 is the worst and I've had 0 fun playing Chapter 10. I don't know what Shinji Mikami was thinking while making this game. It has shades of potential but then the game quickly makes you forget all about it. This is probably the only "RE" game that I wish had QTEs during boss fights.

Killing her is totally optional. You are meant to run away from her. You get few bonus items if you kill her though.

Chapter 11 isn't worst chapter. Chapter 1 is. 11 is fine and I never understood the complaints.

Killing her is totally optional. You are meant to run away from her. You get few bonus items if you kill her though.

Chapter 11 isn't worst chapter. Chapter 1 is. 11 is fine and I never understood the complaints.

I'm actually talking about the final encounter of Chapter 10. The latter half of it has just been a lot of frustration for me though some of it is due to my nitpicking and having to have "perfect" encounters. TEW Normal Mode is harder than RE4 Professional haha

I'll probably try to finish the game later but just needed to vent. I hope Mikami does get to make a sequel and address all the issues starting with the game engine.

strafer

There are quite a few "kill room" encounters in the game that blocks progress until you kill everyone or just that specific one that has the key, but there are also a roughly even number of encounters where you can just run away if you want- this includes boss fights.

Some tricks if you have more resource than bullets-

1) Fire Body traps - If you light an enemy on the ground on fire, at the moment of ignition other very nearby enemies would also catch fire killing them. This is a bit risky and wonky though. Note that enemies don't catch fire if they walk through them, only at the point of ignition.

2) Throwing Bottles - If you have a good aim, throwing a bottle at the enemy's face would stagger them for a few seconds, allowing you to run up to them and ENTER STEALTH MODE to perform a stealth kill. It is very important that you remember to enter stealth mode or you'll just end up doing a normal melee.

3) Agony bolts - Flash and harpoon are the cheapest to make, I would pick an upgraded flash that gives you the potential to stealth kill 3 guys vs the harpoon that kills only 1. Also you can plant explosive bolts as traps, you can also remove them if they didn't trigger.

That has been fucking me up quiet a bit..i just wanna run up and kill him..always forget to enter stealth mode. :D

also the fight in chapter 5
the Laura fight wasn't so bad..its just that's shes so fucking freaky...and that fucking scream and that she can appear everywhere were its a body.

That has been fucking me up quiet a bit..i just wanna run up and kill him..always forget to enter stealth mode. :D

also the fight in chapter 5
the Laura fight wasn't so bad..its just that's shes so fucking freaky...and that fucking scream and that she can appear everywhere were its a body.

There is a trick you can use when fighting her -
there is a timing from when Laura spawns from a body that you can light her on fire. As she is spawning the body she appears from still exist, in that animation if you light a match you can burn both her and the body together. If I'm not wrong she appears from the nearest corpse to you and you can see a red aura around the body when she does.

strafer

There is a trick you can use when fighting her -
there is a timing from when Laura spawns from a body that you can light her on fire. As she is spawning the body she appears from still exist, in that animation if you light a match you can burn both her and the body together. If I'm not wrong she appears from the nearest corpse to you and you can see a red aura around the body when she does.

Yeah, I managed to get her like that once, I don't like standing still so near her because if she grabs you its an insta-kill.

I killed her after two barrels...two fire pits and a couple of fire bolts.

myco666

I'm actually talking about the final encounter of Chapter 10. The latter half of it has just been a lot of frustration for me though some of it is due to my nitpicking and having to have "perfect" encounters. TEW Normal Mode is harder than RE4 Professional haha

I'll probably try to finish the game later but just needed to vent. I hope Mikami does get to make a sequel and address all the issues starting with the game engine.

Ahh I thought you meant
Laura
. Yeah TEW is way harder than RE4. You take way more damage and you can't have as much stuff with you.

Ahh I thought you meant
Laura
. Yeah TEW is way harder than RE4. You take way more damage and you can't have as much stuff with you.

Not only that, the locales are much harder too. Many pages back I wrote how the letterboxing was clearly designed with the locales in mind and how nearly every is cleverly stashed just behind the view constantly making you look around up and down instead of just straight forward.

I just finished this game and my god, my feelings are very mixed due to the inconsistencies and design decisions of the game. This is the direction RE5/6 should've gone in though.

¡Possible Small Non-Story Spoilers Ahoy!

Pros:
  • Soundtrack is cool. Very RE4-y and doesn't overdo the horror cliche music.
  • You get a decent amount of weapons. Agony Bow is kinda cool.
  • Art design is nice. The more desolate areas are very...desolate.
  • The creatures are weird.

Cons:
  • Too many force walks. I understand why they're in the game, but give us an option to skip through it if we want to. The narrative as a whole isn't every good either so it just adds insult to injury for me.
  • 30s Unskippable Sequences. I'm talking about those little mini scenes where it shows something activating or opening. It's not an issue at first, but once you retry an area over and over, they become extremely grating. This leads me to my next issue.
  • Inconsistent checkpoints. For whatever reason, the checkpoints in the final chapters of the game are much more fair and frequent. By this I mean they come after significant battles and objectives are completed. I've found that the earlier portions of the game and a few later chapters will make you redo annoying sequences.
  • Inconsistent pacing. Some chapters are short. Some are too long. The long ones make me want Sebastian to die and end the game.
  • Gameplay is "clunky". It feels like this game wants to be an open arena but will close you off into tight spaces. You also can't switch hands so certain angles make it hard to see your enemy. Sebastian takes too long to ignite. CQC is terrible. Why does the Agony Bow block your vision when aiming?
  • Gun-wielding Enemies. It's a personal opinion, but I absolutely hate them in Survival Horror games. I'm glad there weren't a lot, but I was surprised when I first encountered a shotty-wielding enemy.
  • Too many OHK moves. This was probably what I hated most about this game and my frustration was fueled by the checkpoints.
  • Feels like the game is hard for the sake of being hard. Just look at how tiny the defuse window is for bombs.

I honestly find it hard to believe that the guy who made Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4 made this game. Feels like someone who was a huge fan of RE4 decided to make a spiritual successor and enjoyed the Island chapters way too much. I feel very odd as I don't know if I hate this game more than I like it. I would recommend this to Survival Horror fans if they're willing to go in with an open mind.

PS I also finished the game with a plethora of supplies so that might've added to the frustration haha

I just got my platinum on the main game. Akumu Mode wasn't as hair pulling as I thought it'd be. I got through the building on fire at the start of Chapter 6 after only maybe 5 or so deaths. Nothing stood out as being particularly brutal but I did use a guide to help me beat the Dog boss in chapter 6 quickly as well as the boss at the end of chapter 10.

I still really like this game even if it's clearly a very flawed one. If certain mechanics and enemies were explained better to the player (if at all) then I think more people would have liked it. They also probably should have toned down the amount of OHKs, too. Nearly every boss has one and unlike RE4, some bosses spam them and they're much harder to avoid.

Also, there's a youtuber who's done a pretty fun in-depth video explaining the story. I saw it after getting the platinum and suddenly certain things starting making sense. :p

Story video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzZowmDBOGo

What the hell is this chapter 10 :(

I love how when you first meet one of these guys:

I9xFzf8.jpg

...the only spot where you're safe from him is a very narror spot between a wall and a deadly meat grinder. Doesn't really make you feel safe.

strafer

I really like the game though...the atmosphere is crazy. But some of the enemy encounters are bad.

How many chapters are there total?

sphinx

the piano man
I really like the game though...the atmosphere is crazy. But some of the enemy encounters are bad.

How many chapters are there total?

after beating chapter 10 I think the more intense boss fights are behind you

(if I remember correctly, chapter 10 makes you fight the big creature in the parking garage mere minutes after beating Laura!, that was VERY fucked up, I didn't need another boss right away)

strafer

I feel like I'm near the end now, I'm on chapter 14.

Some thoughts on previous chapters.
Those Fake Ruviks were real assholes.
Not sure how I feel about Laura being alive again, that whole sequence was bad.
I hate those sequences were you pull a lever and you need to kill 1 million enemies until it opens.
That bus sequence though. Cool looking boss.
JOSEPH NOOO!

strafer

Well, I did it.

uLwq1XZ.jpg

I liked it, some really cool and intense moments followed by some real bullshit moments.

So my thoughts on the ending,
From the moment Ruvik stuck Seb with that needle in the beginning he's been in that bathtub and been hallucinating the whole thing? Also something I didn't notice the first time replaying the first level is that Seb seem to have healed from the chainsaw cut which is weird, but if the whole game was just him dreaming all that I can believe it.

And Chapter 15 is probably the most disgusting level I've played, Mikami really went all out.
If there will be a sequel im all for it.

Well, I did it.

uLwq1XZ.jpg

I liked it, some really cool and intense moments followed by some real bullshit moments.

From the moment Ruvik stuck Seb with that needle in the beginning he's been in that bathtub and been hallucinating the whole thing? Also something I didn't notice the first time replaying the first level is that Seb seem to have healed from the chainsaw cut which is weird, but if the whole game was just him dreaming all that I can believe it.

And Chapter 15 is probably the most disgusting level I've played, Mikami really went all out.

He may have been dreaming along with everyone in the squad car BEFORE the game even began

Well, I did it.

uLwq1XZ.jpg

Congrats! I didn't understand much of the story, so I had to google it haha

For me, this game is that weird new smell that smells familiar so you keep smelling it to remember where you smelled it before.

strafer

He may have been dreaming along with everyone in the squad car BEFORE the game even began

Hmm, that actually makes sense seeing as Seb had one of those Ruvik headaches in the car. It really is like Inception. A dream within a dream.

That would also explain the face Kidman gave in the car, she knew all along. That bitch.
Nice, I hope my tips helped XD

They did. :)

Also, is it worth checking out the DLC?

nelchaar

Just started playing it after buying it during the PSN holiday sales.

Question, is the game supposed to run and look like utter shit? The FPS is constantly dipping and chugging, even during cutscenes, and graphically there are so many jaggies everywhere.

I'm playing it on a Pro for what it's worth. I know this game did not get a patch, but was the performance this bad on OG PS4?

Question, is the game supposed to run and look like utter shit? The FPS is constantly dipping and chugging, even during cutscenes, and graphically there are so many jaggies everywhere.

Yep. Enjoy!

I think the performance evens out after a few chapters, I don't think the game could handle the rain and fog effects very well.

Never played the PS4 version tho, just my experience when I played it on an old outdated rig

Teggy

I'm playing it on a Pro for what it's worth. I know this game did not get a patch, but was the performance this bad on OG PS4?

Yes, part of the reason it is letterboxed is so there is less to process on the screen.

nelchaar

I've seen people say the first 3-4 chapters are the worst performance wise on consoles.

Play the PC version if you have the option.

I've already bought this on PSN recently, and I only have a gaming laptop with a GTX960m (which I think is the 750Ti desktop card). Not sure if it could run it.

sphinx

the piano man
it's one hell of a stretch but I am hoping for a evil within sequel announment come next thursday on the switch presentation.

not because I want it on a nintendo console but because I need it in any shape or form! it's taking way too long to announce a follow-up to this game.

nelchaar

This game respawns all the enemies after you die?

Fuck that.

Edit:
alright, The Ring girl coming out of nowhere in chapter 4 was a nice touch. I'll keep playing.

Im trying to replay this so I can jump into the dlc(I know I don't need to replay the whole thing to play the dlc, but that's just what I always do), and I forgot just how hard it was.

The messed up part is when you've killed almost everyone, disarmed all the traps, and have gotten all the supplies in every place and all of a sudden you get killed by that one or two last enemies who you were saving til last.
Then you have to start all over.

Im trying to replay this so I can jump into the dlc(I know I don't need to replay the whole thing to play the dlc, but that's just what I always do), and I forgot just how hard it was.

The messed up part is when you've killed almost everyone, disarmed all the traps, and have gotten all the supplies in every place and all of a sudden you get killed by that one or two last enemies who you were saving til last.
Then you have to start all over.
You don't need to complete the main game to play the DLC.

Yeah, it's pretty much an NES/SNES game in modern times. I'd just play causal mode. Deletes a lot frustration IMO.

strafer

So I got the first part of the DLC and gameplay is completely different and it has a nasty new enemy. Haven't played an awful lot of it yet.

Vic_Viper

Just picked this up for PC with all the DLC. Didn't play much of it when it first came out on PS4. The black bars really put me off at the time. But after playing Resi 5 and a bit of 6 recently I've been in the mood for a proper Mikami style horror game.

I've read that there was an update for the PC version that allows you to play without the black bars and at 60fps. Is that true and is it just an option in the settings?

-MD-

Just picked this up for PC with all the DLC. Didn't play much of it when it first came out on PS4. The black bars really put me off at the time. But after playing Resi 5 and a bit of 6 recently I've been in the mood for a proper Mikami style horror game.

I've read that there was an update for the PC version that allows you to play without the black bars and at 60fps. Is that true and is it just an option in the settings?

It's in the options, yeah.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just beat this game what a ride. Did it do well in sales? Think there will be a sequel?

What should I do in new game+?

This isn't indicative of sales on all platforms (and this game launched particularly poorly on PC) but steamspy reports the game at about 500k sales.

Top Bottom