• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shepard Smith from Fox News Comes Out as Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0523

During an interview with the Huffington Post, Shep Smith revealed that he is gay. More info is at the link. Apparently, Roger Ailes advised him not to do it (according to other sources) but Smith says otherwise. And I guess since he's not there anymore maybe he figured why not.

Post-Ailes, ratings have surged as the election has heated up, but it’s been bittersweet for many still there. “Obviously, the business side of this place is a roaring success and we’re more successful than we’ve ever been, but there are more important things,” Shep said. He didn’t shy away from talking about the Ailes crisis, but his emotions around it were still palpably raw.

The pain was heightened by the depth of the trust he once had in Ailes. “It’s such a wonderful place, and it’s been home forever. He was very fatherly and mentorish,” he said. “And now I know that there were other things going on here.”

Along with the rampant sexual harassment that brought Ailes down, there were also reports that he used homophobic slurs toward rivals. Though Shep rarely talks about his sexuality, he is regularly, for instance, included in Out Magazine’s Power 50 list.

I asked if Ailes had ever made homophobic remarks when he was around. “No, never. He treated me with respect, just respect,” Shep said. “I wasn’t new in the business when I came here ― I’d been doing reporting for 12 years ― but I wasn’t old in it either, and he gave me every opportunity in the world and he never asked anything of me but that we get it right, try to get it right every day. It was a very warm and loving and comfortable place.”

He said that reports that Ailes had prevented him from coming out publicly several years ago were false. “That’s not true. He was as nice as he could be to me. I loved him like a father,” he said. “I trusted him with my career and with ― I trusted him and trusts were betrayed. People outside this company can’t know [how painful that betrayal was]. This place has its enemies, but inside, it was very personal, and very scarring and horrifying.”

Good for him for coming out.

I remember hearing about this at least a few years ago, maybe it was a rumor or what not.

Shep is the best person at Fox. Love that guy and have been watching him for years.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
FINALLY!

Worst kept secret in all of NYC - he was frequently seen on dates for years.

Good for him that he feels he can come out now!

DOWN

Banned
This was long rumored by some in the news social circle and since he was one of the few at Fox that would give speeches on air against some of the bigotry that conservatives were touting in politics and at the network. Good for him.

zethren

Banned
Much respect to him for being true to himself and coming out. Fuck Ailes for advising him not to, if that's true.

Ahasverus

Wonder if he knows a thing or two about some other people, especially those toxic ones.. I bet they might be really scared. Hopefully he can leverage for good.

SexyFish

Banned
He's the only good thing Fox News has going for it, besides Megan Kelly's small moments of sanity.

Good for him, hope Fox News viewers don't get shitty with him.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Good for him.

A lot of people will say things like "no shit", however, the glass closet is real and insidious.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Somehow this is relevant

https://youtu.be/CIOREqBcFuY

Good for him though. Can't say I'm shocked that Fox News wanted him to keep it on the DL. I wonder why that would be...

Paskil

Yay! Glad he felt like he was at a place where he could share. Hope he ignores news and social media about himself, at least until some of the inevitable initial toxic blowback goes away.

That's a low bar. Hope he weathers the inevitable backlash okay.
It's a low bar, but he always seemed like a good dude to me in any context.

Granted, I haven't seen a ton of his stuff, and I'm sure someone is going to post a video contradicting me as soon as I say this.

Volimar

Nobody does live coverage of an event like Shep.

12rnVLD.gif

It sounds like this wasn't even a secret, just not talked about. They even mention him being on out maginze's power 50 list in the past.

In any event, really good article with a lot of interesting details.

Brinbe

Think that's been an open secret for a while but good on him for coming out. He's one of the few good journos at that place.

Wilsongt

Welcome to the world of what we already know, but good on him for coming out. Now get on CNN and have a back to back double gay news with Anderson.

iammeiam

I thought we knew this already, but it's a really solid interview overall. He even acknowledges that the Fox prime time audience is just looking for an echo chamber. If the Trump News Network happens, maybe the crazy opinion people can go there and Fox can drift more towards Shep's news-centric approach.

Couleurs

It's a low bar, but he always seemed like a good dude to me in any context.

Granted, I haven't seen a ton of his stuff, and I'm sure someone is going to post a video contradicting me as soon as I say this.

Nah, Shep is pretty much the only sane person at Fox News and has always been pretty cool.

Hopefully this doesn't lead to him getting fired due to viewer backlash since Fox News viewers aren't exactly the most tolerant people. But I guess if that does happen he should have a very easy time finding a better gig.

Before jumping to FOX News he worked for the FOX affiliate down here in South Florida(WSVN7) for quite awhile. I always liked the guy and everyone figured he was gay.

I'm glad that he doesn't have to "hide" it anymore from his audience. It'll be interesting to see how they respond though.

No surprise, he has such winning sass.

Shep Smith, Anderson Cooper, and Steven Kornacki should start their own news network and sass it up all night, every night.

And Don Lemon is not invited.

Busty

Banned
Good for him.

Also further proof that my gaydar isn't rubbish, it's literally non existent.

If I were gay I'd do even less 'business' than I do now.

I mean, I know my people when I see them. The gay face is strong with this one.

Shephard-Smith.jpg

If you're ever running a night course on identifying the 'gay face' please PM me the details.

mieumieu

No surprise, he has such winning sass.

Shep Smith, Anderson Cooper, and Steven Kornacki should start their own news network and sass it up all night, every night.

And Don Lemon is not invited.

I had some doubts about Steve Kornacki before since I love Rachel Maddow so so much (my 'waifu' if you allow me to say so...) and I got bummed every time I see him filling in, but he's actually improved a lot.

AC360 is the best hands down.

Shocking. : p

I'm really happy for him. It must be both terrifying and liberating to come out, especially when you're in the media on a right-wing news channel.

ColdPizza

Banned
Shocking. : p

I'm really happy for him. It must be both terrifying and liberating to come out, especially when you're in the media on a right-wing news channel.

It's not like another network wouldn't scoop him up immediately if Fox were to be idiots about this.Chances are they all knew anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom