• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sharp announced they are supplying LCD screens to an upcoming gaming console

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
529LrHj.jpg

Last edited:

SeraphJan

What defines as "ゲーム機" could be anything to be honest. However "新型" could probably mean Switch successor, the Remote device from Sony which is just an accessory might not warrant the term 新型ゲーム機 in Japanese language context.

Last edited:
or honoring MS Excel using the last remaining letter of ".xls"
Calling a handheld L for large (or loser) would be incredibly stupid though.
XS for an S-like-powered handheld would be okayish I guess, albeit adding to the letter nonsense.

Didn't Nintendo say no new HW soon, so this should be someone else if they announce this today?

UnNamed

Banned
I can't read japanese, so I assume the display is for 2023/2024 fiscal year. Nintendo said no new consoles this fiscal year. Very strange, they wouldn't lie to investors.

Yeah. It could be anything. Maybe switch 2, maybe that horrible-sounding cloud PS thing, maybe a steam deck revision. Who the hell knows

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Very possibly just this. Keeping the price low will be important if it’s to have any degree of success and be worthwhile.

Mate, I really, REALLY hope that the upcoming PS streaming handheld is under the 250 Eurodollars/quid mark and a "simple" low Hz LCD screen would be where they'd cut corners as to achieve that (and a low spec processor, and low RAM, and...😁).

If it's gonna cost higher than that (say, 300+ Eurodollars/quid), well...it's gonna be DOA in my opinion, then again, this is Sony were talking about so it wouldn't really surprise me.

Cheers

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
What defines as "ゲーム機" could be anything to be honest. However "新型" could probably mean Switch successor, the Remote device from Sony which is just an accessory might not warrant the term 新型ゲーム機 in Japanese language context.
The fact they went to the trouble of deleting it from (ie literally removing and republishing) their earnings presentation suggests it probably is the Switch (or something similarly secretive). If it was just some relatively non-exciting device (like any number of the handheld gaming PC things) they'd just leave it as is.

supernova8

Banned
I can't read japanese, so I assume the display is for 2023/2024 fiscal year. Nintendo said no new consoles this fiscal year. Very strange, they wouldn't lie to investors.
Yeah 2023年度 means FY23, which FY3/2024 in Sharp's case (ie year ending March 2024). They could supply the displays to Nintendo, doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo has plans to launch the device during this fiscal year. Could be that Nintendo is still ironing out hardware/software bugs or it could even be that the hardware is ready but the company is working on getting its launch software lineup in tip-top shape before committing to announcing anything. None of that would constitute lying to investors.

All they have to say "yes we are working on a next-generation device" and "no we are not ready to make any announcements yet"

As long as they don't do something like shadow launch it and then suddenly change their full-year forecast saying "oh yeah sorry we totally forgot about the err most important product our company deals in... we're raising our profit guidance by 300% kthanks bye" they're probably OK

Last edited:

Soodanim

Between translation issues and whatever else, could this not potentially be another PC handheld ala Steam Deck and that other thing there's a thread for?

Tams

I don't know the context, but just the tweet has no dates or general time periods in it.

And if Nintendo were to release a new console next Japanese fiscal year, well components would have be being stockpiled now with device production starting in autumn at the latest. That would also mean that the component manufacturers (so including Sharp) would have to be producing the components now or starting very soon, and that would be in this fiscal year.

McRazzle

That means the next-gen Switch will go back to an LCD display? Come on Nintendo, I want to early adopt your system, but gives us OLED at launch please.

Nintendo may still be using OLED.
Sharp said a couple of years ago they were making an IGZO display for a game console.
IGZO is a LCD backplane, it's not the display panel.

https://thewiredshopper.com/igzo-vs-ips/

IGZO-TFT​

It is short for a thin-film transistor which is a type of liquid crystal display (LCD). It got its name because it uses TFT technology that delivers better image quality. Its structure is more of an active matrix LCD. TFT is found in a number of appliances and gadgets that have screens. They can even be found in some car parts.
If you will notice you have broken down the IGZO-TFT IPS by understanding what IPS and TFT mean. All that is left is the meaning of IGZO. IGZO is short for Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide. It’s a type of transistor placed in the TFT. No, it isn’t a different panel attached to the TFT; it is just a transistor. Since it isn’t a panel, you can use it for other panel displays. It’s compatible with the TN, VA, and OLED.

Why is IGZO-TFT IPS Important?

With so many innovations in the display industry, you must be wondering if this invention is significant for your viewing experience. The IGZO-TFT IPS improvements can be best described with a comparison with the aSi-TFT IPS displays.
The aSi-TFT IPS is one of the first versions of the TFT IPS transistors. It’s a lot similar to the IGZO, but the main difference is that it needs a lot of power to achieve the same quality of backlighting that the latter does. This alone is a big no-no for those who plan on saving on their electricity bills.

The first advantage of the IGZO-TFT IPS is power consumption. With all the climate change issues today and electricity not getting any cheaper by the year, power consumption is an important concern to a lot of people. Fortunately, the IGZO-TFT IPS is a more efficient version of the aSi-TFT IPS. The IGZO is at least 80% more efficient than its predecessor, which is already a significant improvement on its own. This efficiency can be attributed to the higher electron mobility.
Another advantage of the IGZO is that it has a higher pixel density. A higher pixel density means that each inch of the screen has more pixels that produce more accurate and brighter colours. In effect, you get a high-quality display. What’s impressive here is that even if it has a better image quality, those images are produced with less energy.
The advantages don’t stop there because IGZO also has faster response times and refresh rates. It has all the traits you need if you are looking to up your performance during combat and racing games.

Igzo-03.jpg

supernova8

Banned
Between translation issues and whatever else, could this not potentially be another PC handheld ala Steam Deck and that other thing there's a thread for?
Other people are right in pointing out that Nintendo is probably the only company anal enough to literally ring up Sharp and tell them to remove that wording from their briefing materials.

Kuranghi

Did anyone ever do a technical breakdown of the difference in brightness of the old IPS switch screen and the OLED one? I'd be interested to know how much ABL affects the OLED one and what the 25%, 50% and 100% window measurements are. Google gives me nothing.

Regardless of the results I'm sure the benefits of OLED far outweigh the negatives at this screen size, but I don't think its "trash" if it had a MiniLED VA panel for example, most games are at 30fps and don't feature good quality motion blur to smooth the motion out, so you don't really want a super fast response time panel in this case, though tbf the stutter is no where near as noticeable on such a small screen say vs. a 55"+ TV.

Top Bottom