• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - Version1.020 Patch (21st March) additional performance 'sharp' mode + more.

Go_Ly_Dow

Live now - 6GB.
Version1.020
- Corrected typos and omissions in some texts.
-Fixed an issue with the controlled character that would occur under certain conditions on the map.
・Fixed an issue where Red XIII's abilities "Lunatic High" and "Warrior's Inspiration" were easily canceled during battle.
-Fixed an issue where enemies would stop under certain conditions during battle.
-Fixed a progress issue that occurred under certain conditions in the quest.
- Improved frame rate and overall game stability.
- Added "Sharp" and "Soft" options to the performance mode screen output settings.
-Improved graphic quality.
・The camera's reverse setting is now reflected in the "gliding" mode when operating a sky chocobo.
・Reverse camera settings are reflected in the target mini-game camera.
- Enhanced guidance support while climbing the vines in the location "Mithril Mine".
- Added difficulty settings to the customization screen for mini-games "Condor Fort" and "Gambit Gears".

I'm acustomed to the 4k/30fps quality mode which has been solid for me, but hope this is a bit better for the framerate junkies. 🤓

consoul

Ctrl-F
"Fixed an issue where every region is filled with the exact same World Intel checklist bullshit"

0 results.

Damn it. Still enjoying it, in 30fps no less. Good on them for improving performance mode.

sendit

I'm acustomed to the 4k/30fps quality mode which has been solid for me, but hope this is a bit better for the framerate junkies. 🤓
throw up team america GIF

puke GIF
Tonight Show Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:

Zuzu

I just played it with the new patch. There's not a lot of difference between Performance - Sharp & Performance - Soft. Sharp is marginally sharper but it looks to me like it's a bit more pixelated than Soft. I would guess that they're using a different upscaling option between the two. I prefer Soft since I like less pixellation in my image. But Quality mode is still a massive jump in sharpness over Performance - Sharp.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nearest neighbour scaling is not to be used for 3d filtered graphics!!!!!
It’s integer scaling. Introduces pixelization to the image. It’s not sharp. It’s shit

FUBARx89

Still looks like absolute shite in performance mode and I'm not holding my breath they'll ever make a decent one.

TrebleShot

Still looks like absolute shite in performance mode and I'm not holding my breath they'll ever make a decent one.
I think its a tiny bit better, much less soft and fuzzy but still not great, must be the TAA.
Still just did the end of ch-9 with it and it was phenomenal.

Shame well probably have to wait till the pro before we get any proper enhancement.

Garibaldi

I play this one in quality on a oled (LG CX) and the 30fps is unplayable stuff is absolutely overblown. Once you get used to it, it's perfectly playable. Probably needs 60fps if you are doing the brutal challenging combat on hard mode, but the story playthrough on normal/dynamic is perfectly playable.

I'm also playing through remake on and off on my pc at 120fps in ultrawide at the same time (which admittedly is miles better) so if I can adjust, anyone can.

Last edited:

coastel

OK I can finally play this now in 30fps it seems. I thought I'd wait for the 60fps improvement patch when it was announced but seems its still shit. Its slightly disappointing but I'll get used to 30fps.

Go_Ly_Dow

I play this one in quality on a oled (LG CX) and the 30fps is unplayable stuff is absolutely overblown. Once you get used to it, it's perfectly playable. Probably needs 60fps if you are doing the brutal challenging combat on hard mode, but the story playthrough on normal/dynamic is perfectly playable.

I'm also playing through remake on and off on my pc at 120fps in ultrawide at the same time (which admittedly is miles better) so if I can adjust, anyone can.
Yup playing on my C9 and looks and plays great to me at 30fps. Overblown as you say.

Quezacolt

Played on LG CX too, at 30fps, and it was a great experience. The IQ on performance mode is just too awful for me, ut becomes distracting, and since i never had problems with 30fps games before, graphics mode was the right choice imo

Bojji

I can finally put console in online mode. Plus condor difficulty option is nice, it's much harder and stupider (time limit) than Intergrade version.

Luipadre

So basically the sharp option looks the same as it was and the soft option is the old one before the demo update. LOL nice one square. "Worth" the wait

Mr.Phoenix

Son I've been playing games since when they were 240p, ran at 19fps and looked like polygon lego. Get on my level. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I've read some tweaks to minor foliage to boost the IQ, so might be a small resolution bump.

I played the original Mario bros at 60 fps with no input latency and the still unmatched motion clarity of a crt, get on mine.
I played bridge it on the Amstrad when I was like 6 years old. Or was it 5? I do remember that loading into the title screen after booting the game up took around 25 minutes.

Does this make me a part of the cool club?

Anyways, stuff like these just reinforces my decision to never buy games within the first 3 months of their release.... well, except they are called Tekken or GT.

omegasc

Can anyone confirm there is an actual improvement.
Perf - Smooth looks better to me than Sharp, and less blurry than the previous filter. I might be wrong but it seems they tweaked lighting as well... at least it seems better looking in front of the mog house I left yesterday. Might be placebo but that's my first impression booting it up and going through the options in 5 minutes.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
There is so much going on when you battle, I really haven't noticed much jank. But I am also old and wearing glasses.

I just played it with the new patch. There's not a lot of difference between Performance - Sharp & Performance - Soft. Sharp is marginally sharper but it looks to me like it's a bit more pixelated than Soft. I would guess that they're using a different upscaling option between the two. I prefer Soft since I like less pixellation in my image. But Quality mode is still a massive jump in sharpness over Performance - Sharp.

When I read "sharp" and "smooth", I thought this was just a toggle between the original performance mode, which was very soft/blurry, and the v1.01 patch performance mode, which looked pixelated but sharper.

I guess we will have to wait for Digital Foundry to cover this to know exactly how the performance mode has changed from the previous versions. I'm not expecting much improvement, if any, and this is why I've been using the 30 fps mode, which is perfectly fine for me since I have not been switching to and from the 60 fps mode since I played the final game. I only tested this with the demo. Once you get used to 30 fps then it is fine in my opinion, especially as this game has a pretty much locked 30 fps framerate so it feels 'smooth' unlike, say, Bloodborne.

Why do they not just use the same 60 fps 1440p mode as the previous Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade on PS5? That looked fantastic on my 4K TV and almost indistinguishable from the 4K 30 fps mode from my viewing distance.

Fbh

Had some hopes for the update but I guess the game is just going to be blurry as fuck forever on Ps5.
Maybe on the Ps5 pro they'll be able to render it at 1440p so it looks like 1080p at least lol.

Yup. Here.

GJKqSBQXMAA2rG1

I'm on my work computer that has a really shitty screen.
But I swear the "soft version" looks sharper than the "sharp" in this comparison lol

Why do they not just use the same 60 fps 1440p mode as the previous Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade on PS5? That looked fantastic on my 4K TV and almost indistinguishable from the 4K 30 fps mode from my viewing distance.

The game is probably more demanding due to the larger scale of pretty much everything. So if they go with 1440p the performance will suffer which wouldn't be good.
But there is something about their post processing which just isn't working, the game is still averaging resolutions above 1080p but somehow it looks blurrier than a 1080p game.

Last edited:

Zuzu

When I read "sharp" and "smooth", I thought this was just a toggle between the original performance mode, which was very soft/blurry, and the v1.01 patch performance mode, which looked pixelated but sharper.

I guess we will have to wait for Digital Foundry to cover this to know exactly how the performance mode has changed from the previous versions. I'm not expecting much improvement, if any, and this is why I've been using the 30 fps mode, which is perfectly fine for me since I have not been switching to and from the 60 fps mode since I played the final game. I only tested this with the demo. Once you get used to 30 fps then it is fine in my opinion, especially as this game has a pretty much locked 30 fps framerate so it feels 'smooth' unlike, say, Bloodborne.

I think that might be what they've done here. I would guess they've just restored the original performance mode like you said and called it Performance - Soft and relabeled the newer performance mode Performance - Sharp. I'm happy to have the original soft mode back because I preferred that one over the newer one. I doubt we'll get any serious improvements to performance mode other than what we have now, on the PS5 at least. Maybe they'll release a new performance mode using PSSR for the PS5 Pro but it wouldn't surprise me if that never happens. That's probably the only way that a significantly better performance mode will be released in the near future for consoles.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
For people who played on graphics mode. How did you managed to adapt to the insane camera stuttering while moving it?

Did you tweak any settings?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
For people who played on graphics mode. How did you managed to adapt to the insane camera stuttering while moving it?

The one setting for camera speed.....forgot the name, but i dropped it from the default value to 2. I don't see any stuttering when i move it.

Zuzu

It might help slightly to adjust the camera distance so that it's on the maximum distance setting from the character in both Out-of-Battle and In-Battle modes. This doesn't reduce the stuttering but it might make it so that you pan the camera less when walking around and fighting and so you may not see as much stutter. But yeah, the stuttering could be easily helped a lot if they added an option for camera-based motion blur.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Nothing specific, the game itself doesn't really have a lot of options.

Make the camera distance as far away as possible, also I forget the name, but there is one option which you *must* disable, it's the one which makes the camera quickly judder up whenever cloud climbs a surface. The sudden jerks to the camera were off-putting.

Other then that, I guess don't swing the camera around all the time, keep it in long panning shots when exploring to minimize the effect.

I wish the game had an option for per-camera motion blur.

Go_Ly_Dow

Watch the DF video (unless you haven't played the game) and you can see many big ways the game is a step up from Intergrade on PS5.
  • The maps are not only magnitudes bigger, they also have a shit ton more environmental detail in geometry and asset variety
  • The game has the full party + chocobos for each on the screen most of the time which is a lot more than Remake.
  • All the character models are higher poly over Remake which were already some of the best, the hair, the skin, amount of polygons and other details all bumped up quite a bit. I didn't notice at first but after watching the DF video the difference is quite big.
  • There are more NPCs and they are higher quality than Remake + other small details
  • The cutscene lighting has been improved.
Add all of the above together and there had to be a trade-off which is the resolution. More so for the performance than graphics mode but I think with the tech they're probably close to doing as much as they can if they want a consistent 60fps too.

Other big budget UE4 games like Star Wars has a lot more tech flaws than this despite being a much more linear and simple game. I think that had resolution as low as 720p on PS5 and framerate like 20fps or some shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom