• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS |PS4 OT| The things we (re)do for love

sublimit

Banned
So i got the game today (PAL version) and although it's sealed it doesn't have the PS4 wrap-around tape which i guess means it's not factory sealed? Also it has a yellow dot on the box similar to this.
Does anyone know what this yellow dot is for? I searched online but i can't find a concrete answer. In any case i'll return my copy tomorrow (i haven't opened it) but that sucks man. I really wanted to play it tonight. :(

pots555

I could not resist and pre ordered the soundtrack on the double lp vinyl. Pretty happy right now!

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Anyone notice anything weird with the controls just aiming up without moving it?

nevermind. Game looks amazing on my pro with HDR

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

How loud is the Pro while playing ?

It really bothers me if it's like Wolfenstein 2 or MH:World
Ive only played this in 1080/60 FPS mode and didn’t notice any excessive fan noise. Not sure about cinematic mode though.

Also, game plays wonderfully!

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
Man I never played Shadow of the Colossus and playing it for the first time is amazing. This game is purely a work of art.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
RfO81jT.png

Every. Single. Time.

Thanks, Amazon.

Discusguy

Never played the original. Music and art direction are stellar. The camera angle and movement while riding the horse gave me motion sickness because it’s kind of hard to control the horse and make it go the way you want it to go. Never made it to the 2nd colossi. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Played up to the 3rd colossus. Game is beautiful.

But it seems a bit glitchier than I recall. Ran into a funny one on the second colossus where Agro was stuck in an animation loop that also caused Wander to bug out every few seconds. It was bizarre but eventually fixed itself lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have had my disc shipped loose the last few times ive ordered from Amazon. I love their service, but nothing sucks more than tearing away the plastic and seeing the disc just flop around. My copy arrived today and all I heard while taking out of the package was the disc rattling.

Awesome remake. Everything looks amazing. I have this thing I do (ever since the PS2 version) where I'll run around in circles calling for my horse. I would definitely buy more remakes if they gave every game this makeover.

I feel like a lot of players will just jump right into it. Knowing exactly where to jump and what to hold onto. It's a great feeling in this game.

Duo VII

Neo Member
^ You heal at an increased rate. I regret not getting two Special Editions, but the extras from that are unlockable through other means.

Hostile_18

Banned
Can anyone explain what HDR adds exactly? I have a tv that meets the ultra certified requirement but switching back and forth i hardly see any difference, yet people talk about how good it is in this game.

Frame rate and resolution I can so easily tell but with HDR I'm constantly going backwards and forwards trying to see what the difference is.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Can't wait to play this tonight! I forgot to set the download this morning so I'll have an additional wait when I return home from work.

Does anyone know how large the install is? Hopefully, I won't be waiting too long if it's reasonable.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Welp, bought it last night. Already regret it. The game is every bit as amazing as you'd expect, but I don't think I should have dropped all that coin on a game I already played. There's really nothing new or impressive here other than the stunning environmental visuals...

Zimmy68

I never played this game even though I have owned a PS2, PS3 and of course PS4.
But I will happily wait for the expected price drop.
$20 digitally and I'll bite.

BANGS

Banned
I never played this game even though I have owned a PS2, PS3 and of course PS4.
But I will happily wait for the expected price drop.
$20 digitally and I'll bite.
If you've never played it, then I would say it's worth the $40 price tag... but obviously that's up to you whether it's worth it or not...

isucamper1

Neo Member
Got the game last night and played through the 6th Colossus. It plays perfectly. The grip issues from the PS3 version seem to be fixed. It feels more like the PS2 version.

But, is anybody having any problems uploading videos of this game to Facebook? Every time I try it, it goes through the update process, the progress bar completes, then the upload fails and I get a "cannot upload" error. It only happens with videos of this game. I can upload screenshots, and I can upload videos from other games.

BANGS

Banned
Got the game last night and played through the 6th Colossus. It plays perfectly. The grip issues from the PS3 version seem to be fixed. It feels more like the PS2 version.

But, is anybody having any problems uploading videos of this game to Facebook? Every time I try it, it goes through the update process, the progress bar completes, then the upload fails and I get a "cannot upload" error. It only happens with videos of this game. I can upload screenshots, and I can upload videos from other games.
Are you playing in 4k? Maybe that's a factor?

took down the first colossus last night. never played this before

gotta say, damn... this game is beautiful. cinematic mode in hdr on a 65" LG E6

A.Romero

Can anyone explain what HDR adds exactly? I have a tv that meets the ultra certified requirement but switching back and forth i hardly see any difference, yet people talk about how good it is in this game.

Frame rate and resolution I can so easily tell but with HDR I'm constantly going backwards and forwards trying to see what the difference is.

I don't have this particular game yet (it hasn't arrived) but in general HDR provides 2 main benefits:

- Better contrast
- High brightness (1000 nits on a UHD Premium TV)

If you are not seeing a lot of difference it might be related to:

- Some configuration might not be correct (either TV or PS4)
- Your TV might not be UHD certified. Some TVs list HDR support but they don't comply with the standards and results are not as good.

What TV do you have?

nowhat

A first time player (my excuse is that I only briefly borrowed a PS2 from a friend and never had a PS3), just downed my sixth colossus and what can I say, wow. Loving it so far, it plays great and feels both epic and melancholy at the same time. The performance mode seems to be (almost, there's some stuttering in the "hub") silky smooth and the HDR implementation is exquisite. The music and sound design is exceptional. I'll reserve my final judgment until I've completed the game, but up until now I can see why people have been raving about this.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm miss remembering stuff but was the first colossus always easy? Literally under a minute to kill him.
Also wow, I tried 60fp mode and soon as I moved everything looked fucked, does the performance mode have dynamic res it looks terrible in motion as if the resolution drops low.
Looks gorgeous in cinematic mode so I'm sticking to that.
This steelbook is hot!
Ok where can I get that from, just the steelbook will do.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I'm miss remembering stuff but was the first colossus always easy? Literally under a minute to kill him.
Also wow, I tried 60fp mode and soon as I moved everything looked fucked, does the performance mode have dynamic res it looks terrible in motion as if the resolution drops low.
Looks gorgeous in cinematic mode so I'm sticking to that.

Ok where can I get that from, just the steelbook will do.

I bought mine here but for $40, not $100+. Try GameStop.

Zimmy68

Can someone explain to me why the special edition is going north of $100 on ebay?
Is there some magic stone in the box that I am missing?

It looks like the regular version with a download card with preorder DLC.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't have this particular game yet (it hasn't arrived) but in general HDR provides 2 main benefits:

- Better contrast
- High brightness (1000 nits on a UHD Premium TV)

If you are not seeing a lot of difference it might be related to:

- Some configuration might not be correct (either TV or PS4)
- Your TV might not be UHD certified. Some TVs list HDR support but they don't comply with the standards and results are not as good.

What TV do you have?

Thanks for the reply.

It's the 65 inch ks8000 I think it's called. What settings on the ps4 could it be?

I have brightness set to 20, dynamic contrast off, UHD colour enabled etc. I see nothing like a night and day difference. On this game the main difference is the menu goes from a bright white to a darker grey white. There may be some really really subtle differences but without a side by side comparison it's so hard to tell.

Final Fantasy you could clearly see a difference, not necessarily better just more saturated whiter image. Perhaps I have a cable issue or I'm just unaware of the improvement I'm looking for.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Neo Member
Thanks for the reply.

It's the 65 inch ks8000 I think it's called. What settings on the ps4 could it be?

I have brightness set to 20, dynamic contrast off, UHD colour enabled etc. I see nothing like a night and day difference. On this game the main difference is the menu goes from a bright white to a darker grey white. There may be some really really subtle differences but without a side by side comparison it's so hard to tell.

Final Fantasy you could clearly see a difference, not necessarily better just more saturated whiter image. Perhaps I have a cable issue or I'm just unaware of the improvement I'm looking for.
Do you lower the backlight to 5-10 when in SDR? If you have it at 20 then SDR will give you a similar look to HDR, but the lighting will be overexposed, and look more like the traditional HDR of lastgen. I have the same TV as you, but its the 55 inch version. These settings work great for me, and the difference is very noticeable.
  • Backlight set to 20 for HDR or 5-10 for SDR
  • brightness 40-45 depending on the game
  • contrast 100 for HDR 95 for SDR
  • Smart LED set to High
  • Dynamic contrast off
  • color tone Warm 2

Hostile_18

Banned
Do you lower the backlight to 5-10 when in SDR? If you have it at 20 then SDR will give you a similar look to HDR, but the lighting will be overexposed, and look more like the traditional HDR of lastgen. I have the same TV as you, but its the 55 inch version. These settings work great for me, and the difference is very noticeable.
  • Backlight set to 20 for HDR or 5-10 for SDR
  • brightness 40-45 depending on the game
  • contrast 100 for HDR 95 for SDR
  • Smart LED set to High
  • Dynamic contrast off
  • color tone Warm 2

I have the exact same settings only 13 for SDR material.

I'll keep changing back and forth trying to find a worthwhile difference if I can't I'll try changing about cables. I have my ps4 and tv set to low/limited if that makes a difference.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can someone explain to me why the special edition is going north of $100 on ebay?
Is there some magic stone in the box that I am missing?

It looks like the regular version with a download card with preorder DLC.
Steelbook

Data Ghost

Copy arrived today, eagerly dived into the game (never played the original), but it didn’t take long for my opinion to sour.

The controls are complete ass, the game is incredibly slow, particularly swimming, and climbing, especially up the collosi its so annoying. I’m at this part now where I need to walk up this curved path out of the water and then jump across to another ledge. Something that should be simple. However the wonky controls and unpredictable camera movements see me plunging into the water again and again only to endure an incredibly slow swim back to the beginning of the ramp.

Can someone help me? Am I being unreasonable or have I had some sort of brain injury that is rendering me unable to enjoy myself? :/

Gold_Loot

Copy arrived today, eagerly dived into the game (never played the original), but it didn’t take long for my opinion to sour.

The controls are complete ass, the game is incredibly slow, particularly swimming, and climbing, especially up the collosi its so annoying. I’m at this part now where I need to walk up this curved path out of the water and then jump across to another ledge. Something that should be simple. However the wonky controls and unpredictable camera movements see me plunging into the water again and again only to endure an incredibly slow swim back to the beginning of the ramp.

Can someone help me? Am I being unreasonable or have I had some sort of brain injury that is rendering me unable to enjoy myself? :/
It’s not really you. The game was made pretty long ago and adheres to some fairly odd controls.

Try jumping up a climable object/colossi instead of just using your hands. After a little bit you will get into a rhythm of sorts of jumping and grabbing hold at the peak of your jumps. Make sure to hold the button when you jump for maximum height.

The control is a bit old school, but you’ll get the hang of it.

nowhat

The control is a bit old school, but you’ll get the hang of it.
I have to say as a newcomer I was initially appalled by the climbing controls. "FFS, there's a ledge, why don't you grab onto it! I specifically pointed you towards it!"

...but it actually makes sense. While I appreciate the "free-running" approach of contemporary Ubisoft games et al., it actually is nice to require some effort doing so. That is not to say the controls would be perfect here, especially moving while grabbing onto something can be infuriating. But I get what the designers were going for and within the context of the game it works really quite beautifully.

Despite having played the original 10 years ago i remember everything about this game. Which is kind of disappointing. I wish they had changed a few things. Or added more content.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Despite having played the original 10 years ago i remember everything about this game. Which is kind of disappointing. I wish they had changed a few things. Or added more content.
I honestly glad they didn't. SotC is that type of game you just add unnecessary "content".

A.Romero

Thanks for the reply.

I get you. That's a good TV and it's Premium certified. I have the KS9500.

Make sure PS4 is set to RGB full and the TV has color space set to native. Other than that you are set. The cable is definitely not the issue, bandwidth is pretty much the same in SDR and HDR.

The source material can make a big difference. For example, FFXV does not show a big improvement for me but Last of us and Horizon Zero Down are my favourite so far. I haven't seen SoTC (it arrives tomorrow) but it seems that people do praise it.

Another thing you can check are videos in Youtube. They exaggerate the effect but it does show what he potential is for the technology. There are many fake HDR videos but the ones you can find in this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve7_yAZHFNipzeAGBI5t9g are proper HDR.

Hostile_18

Banned
I get you. That's a good TV and it's Premium certified. I have the KS9500.

Make sure PS4 is set to RGB full and the TV has color space set to native. Other than that you are set. The cable is definitely not the issue, bandwidth is pretty much the same in SDR and HDR.

The source material can make a big difference. For example, FFXV does not show a big improvement for me but Last of us and Horizon Zero Down are my favourite so far. I haven't seen SoTC (it arrives tomorrow) but it seems that people do praise it.

Another thing you can check are videos in Youtube. They exaggerate the effect but it does show what he potential is for the technology. There are many fake HDR videos but the ones you can find in this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve7_yAZHFNipzeAGBI5t9g are proper HDR.

Are you sure about it been set to native? I'm pretty sure it's meant to be Auto? (I think there may have been a bug very early on ins the tvs life cycle that switched it around).

I'll set rgb to full/normal but will this mean on blu ray discs (films/tv) it will crush blacks when played through the PS4?

As to this game I still didnt really see a difference, the lighting looked great in both modes. I'll look at those YouTube videos see if I'm missing what to look out for, if not I'll just leave the setting on and not worry about it.

Resolution and frame rate seem so much more important though and it confuses me because lots of people say the opposite! :)

A.Romero

Are you sure about it been set to native? I'm pretty sure it's meant to be Auto? (I think there may have been a bug very early on ins the tvs life cycle that switched it around).

I'll set rgb to full/normal but will this mean on blu ray discs (films/tv) it will crush blacks when played through the PS4?

As to this game I still didnt really see a difference, the lighting looked great in both modes. I'll look at those YouTube videos see if I'm missing what to look out for, if not I'll just leave the setting on and not worry about it.

Resolution and frame rate seem so much more important though and it confuses me because lots of people say the opposite! :)

The setting has changed over the years with firmware updates. However, you won't have any issues as long as the configuration matches (both devices set on limited or full).

Hope you can get it sort it out.

Top Bottom