• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS ROG ALLY | OT + Review Thread | Steam Deck but ROGher

Draugoth

Gold Member

asus-rog-ally-specs.jpg

FEATURES

Pros
  • Fantastic performance
  • Acceptable battery life
  • Beautiful, 120Hz screen
  • Flexible control scheme
  • Support for basically any PC game
Cons
  • Turbo mode drains battery quickly
  • Windows has a lot of quirks
  • Armoury Crate is a utility, not an OS
Full HD+ resolution can be difficult to manage for a lot of devices, but the new AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme APU does a fine job of splitting its duties between graphics and processing. Here are the specs on the unit I was sent from Asus.

• CPU: AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme Zen 4
  • CPU Speed: 2.8GHz
  • GPU: AMD RDNA 3
  • Display: 7-inch IPS touchscreen
  • Resolution: 1920x1080 display at 120Hz
  • Storage: 512GB NVMe SSD
  • Memory: 16GB LPDDR5 RAM
  • Audio: Dual speakers with Dolby Atmos
  • Security: Fingerprint Scanner
  • I/O: USB Type-C (top), headphone jack, MicroSD expansion, Asus PCIe port
  • Battery: 40WHrs
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2
The ROG Ally is available for $599 for the 256GB model, running with the AMD Ryzen Z1 chipset, while the Z1 Extreme model with 512GB of SSD storage will set you back $699 instead. As much as the ROG Ally is a handheld gaming device, it’s also worth remembering that it’s pretty much a mini Windows PC, and packs the specs to warrant such a price tag.

In the context of handheld PC gaming in 2023, the Ally tends to run somewhere in the middle of overall affordability. With the cheapest Steam Deck only costing $399 (maxing out at $649 for the priciest model), and the Ayaneo 2 costing anywhere between $1099 to $1499, $699 isn’t the most extravagant price we’ve seen and actually comes across pretty reasonable for what you’re getting.

The cost of extra performance​

Higher performance comes at the cost of battery life, but the ROG Ally isn’t as terrible as I thought it would be. In the default Performance mode, I got an hour and 53 minutes out of Cyberpunk 2077 with an uncapped frame rate at 1080p. That’s not great, but it’s not any worse than the Steam Deck. In Performance mode, expect around two hours out of a demanding game at 1080p.

The mode that sucks down power is Turbo, in which the ROG Ally only lasted 51 minutes in Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p. This is a stress test for the ROG Ally, though. Bump down the resolution, set an fps cap (Asus supports 15 fps up to 120 fps), adjust the power draw of the APU; you have a lot of options to conserve your battery.
Cyberpunk 2077 (1080p Turbo)51 minutes
Cyberpunk 2077 (1080p Performance)1 hour and 53 minutes
Gunfire Reborn (1080p Silent)4 hours and 42 minutes

You can go down lower than 9W with the Manual mode in Armoury Crate. It allows you to drop down 7W with your own profile or go up to 30W, even when you’re disconnected from a charger. Overall, Armoury Crate is a surpris

armoury-crate-se-5-10-2023-9-35-02-pm-1683780823273.png
armoury-crate-se-5-10-2023-9-35-09-pm-1683780779661.png
20230502-114015-1683778175510.jpg

ASUS ROG VS STEAM DECK

comparison-chart-1683777830524.png

The Asus ROG Ally is more powerful​

The ROG Ally is undoubtedly more powerful than the Steam Deck. The reveal of the specifications of the AMD Ryzen Z1 series chips set the stage for Asus to smoke Valve’s rival. However, despite the ROG Ally still getting the W, the gap isn’t as big as you might think. In Horizon Zero Dawn, at 720p, the ROG Ally managed 37fps up against the Steam Deck’s 32fps. The Asus ROG Ally can stretch to 46fps in its Turbo mode. The difference was even more marginal at 720p in Cyberpunk 2077, with 26fps for the Asus and 25fps for the Steam Deck. Again, the ROG Ally goes up further in Turbo mode, to 35fps this time.

The difference is far from a chasm, meaning other factors, like price, will still have a larger effect on your decision. It is also worth noting the Asus ROG Ally does have a higher ceiling to venture towards too though, with 1080p and a 120Hz refresh rate available to it.

gaming-benchmarks-1683781299888.png
synthetic-benchmarks-1683781092788.png
PGW6yUm.jpg

ally-vs-steam-deck.jpg
ally-perf.jpg
asus-rog-ally-benchmarks.jpg

Critic Reviews

IGN - 8/10
The Asus ROG Ally truly feels like the portable Xbox Game Pass machine that many fans have been clamoring for. While a frustrating user experience, poor battery life, and a lack of Steam Deck-style touchpads do hold it back a bit, it’s undeniable how much fun this handheld is to use when it really gets ticking. With a beautiful 1080p screen that’s marvelously bright and perfect for playing on the go in any condition, alongside its powerful set of specs and a fierce price tag, the ROG Ally might actually be the Steam Deck competitor we’ve been anticipating
WIRED - Not Recommended
I’d like to say that the Ally is worth the pain. And if you have to play games that aren’t on Steam, then it might be, simply because it’s your only option. But the Ally feels half-baked, even compared to the Steam Deck when it came out. Perhaps future software updates can remove some of the Ally’s jank, but you can’t patch out Windows.
Cnet - Recommended
On paper, the Ally beats the Steam Deck in many categories: better screen, better design, more powerful, better support for game platforms. But it's not a blowout. The Steam Deck is easier to use, has those great touchpads for navigation, costs less, and so far, plays certain games better. For right now, I'd call it a draw. But with some updates, tweaks and optimizations, it's hard to see how the Ally won't turn into the handheld gaming PC of choice, at least until the next-gen Steam Deck arrives
TelegraphUK - Recommended
But the main question: should you buy the ROG Ally? If you’re going up against the Steam Deck, yes. It’s not free of problems, and it’s not a strict Steam Deck killer, but it provides broader support for games, more power, and acceptable battery life. It feels like the Steam Deck 2 so many have been waiting for.
PcGamesN - 8/10
The release of the Asus ROG Ally is a turning point for the handheld gaming PC scene, and I think it’ll spark a new wave of lower-priced Steam Deck competitors. The device itself feels like a generational uplift, providing better performance and high-refresh visuals for not much more than Valve’s top-end portable.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nothing I've seen of their Armory Crate software impresses me. This looks about as intuitive as running Windows on a Steam Deck, that is to say not at all.

The specs are impressive, and the fact that it can (easily) run Epic and GOG games is exciting, but not exciting enough (for me) to warrant buying one.

Sleepwalker

$1016 syrup dollars after tax, available for preorder at bestbuy.ca, if anyone here from canada places a pre order let me know if they charge you. I would like to secure a pre order but definitely not interested in tying up 1k until whenever it ships lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If anyone had an opinion about the steam deck needing more time, comparing it to this makes it feel like a grand slam from the getco. From what I see it doesn't really look like it's worth it right now but can be in another two or three iterations potentially. Where the Steam Deck already feels like a robust and more complete solution already.

OverHeat

« generous god »
$1016 syrup dollars after tax, available for preorder at bestbuy.ca, if anyone here from canada places a pre order let me know if they charge you. I would like to secure a pre order but definitely not interested in tying up 1k until whenever it ships lol
cant add to cart cannot ship to quebec bullshit

Last edited:
If anyone had an opinion about the steam deck needing more time, comparing it to this makes it feel like a grand slam from the getco. From what I see it doesn't really look like it's worth it right now but can be in another two or three iterations potentially. Where the Steam Deck already feels like a robust and more complete solution already.
Definitely. The compromises and decisions valve made totally make sense still.
IGNs review:
“While a frustrating user experience, poor battery life, and a lack of Steam Deck-style touchpads do hold it back a bit, it’s undeniable how much fun this handheld is to use when it really gets ticking.”
No surprise windows is a pain, as is no track pads.

Topher

Gold Member
Definitely. The compromises and decisions valve made totally make sense still.
IGNs review:
“While a frustrating user experience, poor battery life, and a lack of Steam Deck-style touchpads do hold it back a bit, it’s undeniable how much fun this handheld is to use when it really gets ticking.”
No surprise windows is a pain, as is no track pads.

For me, track pads are not a factor. I never use them on Steam Deck. As long as the Armoury Crate software isn't a buggy mess and works as advertised, navigation with thumbsticks should be fine. That's what I've found to be the case with Steam Deck as well. But Armoury Crate is a pain to use then I'll more than likely end up returning it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've seen a lot of reviews comparing this to the Steam Deck 512GB model (since the Ally has 512GB), and saying that it's worth the $50 premium.

I feel like that's missing the point, in that the $400 Steam Deck model has the same internals, just lower disk space (that can be easily remedied with a cheap micro SD card). In my opinion, this device isn't worth the $300 premium over the base Steam Deck model.

For me, track pads are not a factor. I never use them on Steam Deck. As long as the Armoury Crate software isn't a buggy mess and works as advertised, navigation with thumbsticks should be fine. That's what I've found to be the case with Steam Deck as well. But Armoury Crate is a pain to use then I'll more than likely end up returning it.
Yeah, I get it. Me, I want track pads forever, and the extra back buttons, and no windows.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've seen a lot of reviews comparing this to the Steam Deck 512GB model (since the Ally has 512GB), and saying that it's worth the $50 premium.

I feel like that's missing the point, in that the $400 Steam Deck model has the same internals, just lower disk space (that can be easily remedied with a cheap micro SD card). In my opinion, this device isn't worth the $300 premium over the base Steam Deck model.
The $400 Steam Deck doesn't have all the same internals as the $650 model. The lowest cost model Steam deck has slower emmc internal storage, less of it, and a lower quality screen. The more expensive model has a better, etched glass screen and faster NVMe storage. The correct comparison is the $650 Steam Deck to the $700 Ally. The faster processor and higher resolution display in the Ally are compelling for only $50 more.

jshackles

The $400 Steam Deck doesn't have all the same internals as the $650 model. The lowest cost model Steam deck has slower emmc internal storage, less of it, and a lower quality screen. The more expensive model has a better, etched glass screen and faster NVMe storage. The correct comparison is the $650 Steam Deck to the $700 Ally. The faster processor and higher resolution display in the Ally are compelling for only $50 more.
The etched glass screen is a debatable upgrade, because for all practical purposes it doesn't affect gameplay or impact performance. Some prefer one over the other given the choice, so it's more of a preference. There are also a lot of YouTube videos and reviews showing that a decently spec'd SD card in the lower end model performs just as well as the NVMe in the higher end models for the overwhelming majority of games.

When I said "same internals", I meant that they have the same CPU, memory, graphics processor, screen (size / resolution) ie. almost every measurable metric of game performance.

The faster processor and higher resolution (though worse performance and battery life at 1080p) in the Ally are indeed compelling upgrades, and no doubt worth the extra $50 vs the high end Steam Deck model - if you were already set on getting that one anyway. What I'm saying is that you can get a device that has 75%-80% of the Ally's performance for nearly half the cost, and I don't personally feel like that bump in performance is worth the extra $300 if you're looking to get one of these new handhelds.

I also know that we're on an enthusiast forum, and that money is no object for some of us that are deep into the hobby. It's pretty easy to sell us on "the best available thing".

bbeach123

I seen so many reviewer test with 720p , does this handheld does a better job than pc monitor at resolution scaling ? Because as far as I remembered playing 720p on a 1080p suck dick .

For me, track pads are not a factor. I never use them on Steam Deck.
It's actually the opposite for me. I've been mostly playing Rimworld, CK3 and Civ 6 on the Deck so sticks emulating a mouse just can't cut it. I thought the trackpads were pointless gimmicks at the start too but now I'm a convert. So much so that I actually dug out my Steam controller that I only bought as a $5 novelty and regularly use it now.

StereoVsn

It's actually the opposite for me. I've been mostly playing Rimworld, CK3 and Civ 6 on the Deck so sticks emulating a mouse just can't cut it. I thought the trackpads were pointless gimmicks at the start too but now I'm a convert. So much so that I actually dug out my Steam controller that I only bought as a $5 novelty and regularly use it now
Yeah, playing strategy games is a must with the track pads. I play variety of strategy games like EU4, Stellaris, and HoI4, and just can't do it without them.

Gone

Banned
This is when I hate living in Iraq (in addition to the other 360 other days) because there's no way to preorder these things and you if you do you'll be paying a lot for shipping and also wait a month at least.

Topher

Gold Member
It's actually the opposite for me. I've been mostly playing Rimworld, CK3 and Civ 6 on the Deck so sticks emulating a mouse just can't cut it. I thought the trackpads were pointless gimmicks at the start too but now I'm a convert. So much so that I actually dug out my Steam controller that I only bought as a $5 novelty and regularly use it now.

Good point. Types of games you play on a handheld really dictate whether a trackpad is important or not. I'm playing games that are typically played with controllers.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

For you tech knowledgeable people, how would the ROG Ally compare to a Series S for example? Or a gaming laptop? Is it a good device for current gen games?

For me it's still too expensive for something unable to run recent AAA games at more than 60 fps constant... In the video above we see that in performance mode games like god of war, horizon zero dawn and spiderman do not even run at 60 fps constant in low setting 720p... Very disappointing...

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The Ally is $629 if you use the Best Buy credit card and this code:

Q2FY24SAVE10PL

I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
I'll be considering one at least. It's about time I upgrade my Hyperdimension Neptunia on the go experience from 540p/30 of the Vita to 1080p/60 on something like this

Klosshufvud

Yeah, playing strategy games is a must with the track pads. I play variety of strategy games like EU4, Stellaris, and HoI4, and just can't do it without them.
SD track pads definitely rekindled my love for RTS games. I just love how smooth and tactile it is. Sure you're not getting the APM as PC but that's not the RTS games I play anyways. It's really fun just playing against AI in AoE2/C&C on the couch with decent inputs. The track pads really is the secret sauce of SD that to me really elevated it above other handhelds. It opens up for so many games to be playable in handheld/controller form. I consider them as the first true innovation in input method in ages.

Some weird reviews where there’s a lot of, “okay, the battery sucks, windows sucks, the software isn’t great, it can be so frustrating that I want to smash it, but performance is better!”
A lot of people want this to succeed so that Steam Deck has good competition, so that windows will work with Asus to improve their portable OS functions, and so that we can see the day of both Steam Deck V2 and ROG V2, because both will be substantially better as long as the first edition sells.

It helps that people like Phil Spencer are endorsing this and there are supposed gamepass deals with it. It feels like he wanted a portable Xbox but without the risks. This is that.

Top Bottom