• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sexually Assaulted Women Being Forced Out Of The Military & Labeled As "Mentally Ill"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjb

Banned
628x471.jpg

TLDR: Women are being raped repeatedly in the military and forced out. Ruining their career and benefits. Usually under the guise of having some sort of "Mental Illness".

Meanwhile, nothing happens to the attackers.

Army Pvt. Anna Moore spotted the man approaching as she knelt on the hallway floor, scraping off a dingy layer of wax. He was a sergeant from another battery with no apparent reason for entering the empty third floor of her barracks. Why was he there, she wondered.

“Look at you, all sexy covered in paint,” he said.

Moore worried about her isolated spot that morning. She was a Patriot missile operator, on light duty and recovering from kidney stones, while the rest of her unit in Hanau, Germany, worked in the field.

The sergeant edged closer. He tried to make small talk as he watched her work. Suddenly, he grabbed her between the legs. She jumped and pulled away from him.

“Knock it off,” she told him, then turned and headed for her nearby room. The sergeant followed.

He rushed at Moore and pulled her close, groping and fondling her. She fought back and screamed for help as he repeatedly tried to force her onto the bed. Her battle buddy, who had just returned from the field, heard her screams and called back. The sergeant fled.

She reported the October 2002 assault to her first sergeant, but he instructed her to drop the complaint.

He said the sergeant who attacked her was preparing to transfer back home to his family, that it was better for everyone's career — hers included — to just move on. Then he tore up her sworn statement.

“I said, 'I don't think that's the answer,'” Moore recalled. “He told me to get out of his office. He yelled at me.”

Less than a month later, she began to receive bad job reviews and went to a mental health counselor for support.

What followed is familiar to many sexual-assault victims in the military, according to active and former troops, families, victim advocates and veterans groups.

Less than eight months after she reported the assault, Moore was diagnosed with a pre-existing psychiatric illness that she had never heard of: personality disorder. The Army kicked her out.

Similar accounts from members in every branch of the military show that those who disclose a sexual assault face commanders who often disregard their reports and send them to uniformed counselors, who subsequently find them to be mentally unfit for duty, a seven-month San Antonio Express-News investigation shows.

Through dozens of interviews with experts and victims, and a review of thousands of pages of military and medical documents, the newspaper found the problem to be pervasive and long-standing, with cases spanning three decades.

The pattern of expulsions continues, defying policies to limit the psychiatric discharges and to ensure qualified doctors evaluate sexual-assault victims.
The mental health diagnoses can come with little or no psychological evaluation, and many are disputed by doctors outside the military.

Victims often had no history of mental health problems. Among them were soldiers who had established promising careers, passed the rigors of boot camp and attained top security clearances.

Yet, military mental health officials diagnosed victims with disorders they claimed existed before their service, making them ineligible for medical benefits or re-enlistment.
No one tracks how often it happens. But women are disproportionately diagnosed with psychiatric disorders and discharged at higher rates than men, according to records obtained by veterans aid groups and reports from the Defense Department.

A survey of 1,200 service members who sought help since 2003 at the nonprofit Military Rape Crisis Center found 90 percent of victims who reported sex assaults were involuntarily discharged from the military.

Most commonly, victims are told they have personality disorder, while others are labeled with adjustment disorder and bipolar disorder, said Panayiota Bertzikis, executive director of the Boston-based center.

“It's a constant problem. They're saying the victims are not credible because they're crazy. They just want them to go away,” said Bertzikis, who was diagnosed with adjustment disorder and pushed out of the Coast Guard in 2007 after reporting a shipmate threw her to the ground, punched her in the face and raped her. “My medical records say I had problems adjusting to being raped."

Source

In response to congressional pressure in 2008, the Pentagon tightened rules to require a psychiatrist or a psychologist with a Ph.D. to diagnose a personality disorder. A discharge is warranted only when a service member's ability to function is “significantly impaired.”
For troops who served in dangerous areas, the reforms call for military doctors to confirm the original diagnosis. The surgeon general of each branch also must approve the cases, and doctors are required to take into account other possible war-related mental illnesses, such as post-traumatic stress.
But the additional layers of review for combat troops do not apply to sexual-assault victims.

My blood boils.

Pathetic. What is worse is I'm sure everyone knew this was going on for years and years now and nothing has been done about it. "Go along to get along" and all that.

some leaders in the military get off on pushing people to the break and stamping them with some sort of mental illness. has happened to a couple friends of mine.

ISOM

I'm completely shocked our government is corrupt...This is news to me.

I don't think it's a problem with the government per se as much as it is with military culture dominated by men. I bet you can find similar circumstances around the world where women are around men in the military environment. At the end of the day though.

I don't think it's a problem with the government per se as much as it is with military culture dominated by men. I bet you can find similar circumstances around the world where women are around men in the military environment. At the end of the day though.
female leadership does this too. maybe not specifically sexual assault issues (but it wouldn't surprise me), but in tossing people aside like garbage to retain the status quo.

If you want your blood to boil, watch the documentary "The Invisible War". Seriously, I haven't been that upset in a while, and it ruined my afternoon and evening.

This recent story does not leave me shocked. It's sickening to think that people get away with it.

JmkZDbB.png

http://invisiblewarmovie.com/

If you have a chance to watch it, please do so. PBS recently aired it as one of their Independent Lens selections, and it was an eye-opener for me not just how pervasive sexual assaults are in the military, but how the system works against and even punishes those who seek justice. I was livid by the end of it, seeing the victims get tossed aside and willfully failed by so-called "military justice" while their rapists get promoted through the ranks.

EDIT: See above. ^^

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
God fucking dammit.

Is there no real solution for this? We can talk about restructuring all we want, but that'll never happen.

This just hurts my soul to read.

Amir0x

Banned
JmkZDbB.png

If you have a chance to watch it, please do so. PBS recently aired it as one of their Independent Lens selections, and it was an eye-opener for me not just how pervasive sexual assaults are in the military, but how the system works against and even punishes those who seek justice. I was livid by the end of it.

Just came in to post this because if this story in the OP angers you, this movie will infuriate you. As someone at an Army Depot, this sort of thing disgusts me. These people go in with their hopes and dreams to do what they think is an honorable and life-affirming bit of service, and then so many of our female heroes get simply disrespected day in and day out by horrendous treatment.

When they said they charged the one girl who was raped by her superior with ADULTERY and Intoxication in Public (even though he was married and she was not), I nearly fucking broke my TV.

bjb

Banned
How does this keep going. Does no one care?

It doesn't appear so. Heavily male dominated culture that centers around keeping quiet (not causing trouble) and projecting a certain 'image' to advance your career.

Furthermore, this specific incident happened in the Army. In my experience - that particular branch, as well as enlisted folks, well....they aren't the smartest people.

Not surprised this has become an epidemic.

akira28

How does this keep going. Does no one care?

People aren't willing to ruin the careers and lives of people they know. It reflects badly on more than one person, so if someone can bury it, they might. They let it be too much of an in house thing, and this is what happens.

It'll come to a head. Someone will spearhead it, get a IG involved, they will build a fix for it, because there is a fix. But it'll come with education, conduct restructuring, and a better defined role for women in the ranks. It will just take a long time because on top of bureaucracy, there is culture.

The way they all think needs to evolve. I can see it happening under a President Hillary, because unlike Barack Obama with so called 'black' issues, she will fight for womens issues openly, because she wouldn't see it as a difficulty or a liability. Women's issues are more popular than black issues, and less controversial. So I expect change in 7 or so years. There just needs to be more active ass kicking.

Woman goes to serve her country and do things she believes is noble and honorable.

Gets raped instead.

Fuck this shit. Fuck those soldiers who rape. Getting away with such a crime, I'd hope an IED meets them.

Demy

I work with a lot of vets at my job. They often reminisce about their experiences while in service and when the topic of women in the military is brought up, the male vets always refer to the females as "sucias", dirty girls.
There is a definite prejudice among all branches, at least with guys I've worked with, that military women are sluts. I can't say this is or isn't true; I don't have any experience or data on women's sexual habits in the military. What I am saying is that if the belief is so prevalent, men probably don't have as hard a time committing acts of sexual assault.
I hope I'm making sense. This story is upsetting on many levels.

bjb

Banned
Woman goes to serve her country and do things she believes is noble and honorable.

Gets raped instead.

Fuck this shit. Fuck those soldiers who rape. Getting away with such a crime, I'd hope an IED meets them.

tumblr_lzh96m8v6k1r26t9zo1_500.gif

I think we all share in your outrage, but that's a bit extreme. Don't you think?"

I think we all share in your outrage, but that's a bit extreme. Don't you think?"

No.

edit: They're getting away with it and may likely claiming more victims. Also, they're in the fucking military. The superiors should be taking them down, to prison, but that apparently they are fuck ups a plenty.

bjb

Banned
No.

edit: They're getting away with it and may likely claiming more victims. Also, they're in the fucking military. The superiors should be taking them down, to prison, but that apparently they are fuck ups a plenty.

I agree more awareness and action are certainly needed.

That being said, I'll add on to what I wrote earlier. And that is, in the Military - you're largely dealing with the lowest level thinkers possible. Combine that with rampant sexism and career driven maniacs - it's a recipe for disaster.

rjc571

Banned
When you think about it, this isn't really that much different from how rape victims are treated in 3rd world Muslim countries.

The culture in the military is pretty grotesque in regards to this. I think part of it is the age at which these people are entering. For the most part they are young and inexperienced and they are asked to suffer some intensive training that adjusts their lives in radical ways. They then are often put into horrific situations where the only response is a visceral destruction of life. The chain of command is perhaps the biggest issue once in. It's verboten to jump the chain and you suffer for it if you do. The sexualization of it is intense as well. In my unit there were female Marines running prostitution rings in Iraq. There were also spouses constantly cheating while their husbands were overseas engaged in the war. It's a general lack of education and world experiences. Its a very sad state of affairs.

Baki

..And then you send animals that rape their own comrades into foreign lands. If they have such a low opinion of their own, imagine what they can do random foreign civillians.

At any rate, someone needs to do something about this. Its absolutely unbelievable that they can get away with this crap. wtf

bjb

Banned
..And then you send animals that rape their own comrades into foreign lands. If they have such a low opinion of their own, imagine what they can do random foreign civillians.

At any rate, someone needs to do something about this. Its absolutely unbelievable that they can get away with this crap. wtf

There was over 3000 rapes and 25000 sexual assault cases in the Military last year. A 6% increase from the year before. I don't think anything is being done any time soon.

Demy

There was over 3000 rapes and 25000 sexual assault cases in the Military last year. A 6% increase from the year before. I don't think anything is being done any time soon.

I don't doubt those numbers but would you mind linking some reference to that?

Despite the shitty record the military does have easily accessed information and stats here:

http://www.sapr.mil/index.php/annual-reports

Numbers are probably going up as more and more people are being engaged about their experiences and handling these things is actually improving. Since they are improving, stuff like this is coming out instead of being buried.

bjb

Banned

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/05/military-rape-problem/64976/

Anecdotal: I have a close friend who's in the Army. His fiancee is also in the service and about to be deployed. He's already done two tours of Afghanistan. One of his first comments to me when I asked him how he's going to cope being apart for 9 months was "I hope she doesn't get raped".

Pretty sick that's even a consideration in our own military.

JmkZDbB.png

If you have a chance to watch it, please do so. PBS recently aired it as one of their Independent Lens selections, and it was an eye-opener for me not just how pervasive sexual assaults are in the military, but how the system works against and even punishes those who seek justice. I was livid by the end of it, seeing the victims get tossed aside and willfully failed by so-called "military justice" while their rapists get promoted through the ranks.

EDIT: See above. ^^

Watched this last week. Incredibly powerful and terrifying. One more recommendation for anyone reading this thread.

I can't see how any responsible parent with knowledge of this issue lets their daughter sign up without opening their eyes to this. Sadly, if that happens, less women will sign up, which is what those dickheads want. But then they'll get their jollies off raping the female civilians of whichever country they're stationed in, so there's no real solution, is there? Fucking mouthbreathing assholes.

Can she not sue the military?
Again, the Feres Doctrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feres_v._United_States

http://nation.time.com/2013/02/25/the-unfairness-of-the-feres-doctrine/

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Feres+Doctrine

Video (60 Minutes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwqwQ-Wzk8Y

Basically, in cases of sexual harrassment or assault (or, well, any other case involving damages) the US military invokes the Feres Doctrine ruling and gets lawsuits brought against it by its own soldiers thrown out of court.

bjb

Banned
Bumping this because relevant news broke earlier:

Army sergeant accused of videotaping female cadets at West Point

A U.S. Army sergeant first class stationed at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point has been charged with allegedly secretly videotaping female cadets in their shower and latrine areas, according to Army officials.

Sgt. 1st Class Michael McClendon was charged May 14 with 13 "specifications" or allegations of "indecent conduct" in making videos between July 2009 and May 2012. Army criminal investigators are now contacting more than a dozen women who might have been videotaped, according to Army spokesman George Wright.

Wright said the investigation has been going on since May 2012, but charges were not made until last week because the Army was still trying to assemble computer evidence and identify the women involved.

He said he could not comment on how the matter was discovered because of the ongoing investigation.

McClendon, who helped train and mentor cadets, was relieved of all cadet duties and barred from any contact with cadets or cadet areas on May 17, 2012, and assigned to a desk job, Wright said.

He was transferred to Fort Drum, New York, on March 13, Wright said.

The story was first reported by the New York Times. The Army made no public announcement of the case and has only responded when asked questions by reporters.

This case comes as the Pentagon is grappling with a rise in sexual assaults in the military and pledges from President Obama and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to redouble efforts to address the problem.

Source

I mean, what the fuck is going on in our military....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom