• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 4 | Out Now on PS5 and Xbox Series S/X

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Available now on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S + Game Pass

Humanity is under siege as the full force of Mental’s hordes spread across the world, ravaging what remains of a broken and beaten civilization. The last remaining resistance to the invasion is the Earth Defense Force led by Sam “Serious” Stone and his heavily-armed squad of misfit commandos.

Croteam returns with a high-powered prequel to the Serious Sam series that scales up chaos to unprecedented levels. The classic Serious Sam formula is revamped by putting an unstoppable arsenal up against an unimaginable number of enemies that requires players to circle-strafe and backpedal-blast their way out of impossible situations.

Downloading now. I have not played the run backwards and shoot game in years.
edit. These loading screens are not next gen. Im typing this and its still loading.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

How long had this been in development?

I've played maybe like an hour on gamepass and it looks like a polished/remastered version of a very outdated game. Why did it take so long for this to come to current(next gen) consoles?

And the load times.. Jesus Christ

Last edited:
Switching weapons is finicky. I think you have to rotate to the gun then press the weapon wheel bumper again to switch. if you try to select the gun and press a face button it just exits the wheel. Really bad design.
Game keeps defaulting to shotgun when other guns ammo is out. Thousands of enemies and I have to BLAM…reload….BLAM…reload.
Im grousing but this game is just Fun. Point and shoot mow em down fun.
texture popin on Series X is out of control. Not a second goes by that a textur isn’t popping in.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

XSX.

Saw this, got excited, downloaded, played 1st mission and uninstalled.

Load times are shit, looks like shit, and unfortunately, performs like shit. I’ll just leave the fond memories of the original where they are.
Played on the XSX too, in performance mode. Seemed to run fine?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Bootleg version of godlike PainKiller, which for some unknown reason gain more popularity than the absolute gaming gem.

winjer

Gold Member
It's not as good as Serious Sam The First and Second Encounters. It's also not as good as Serious Sam 3.
But I still had a good amount of fun with it.

It had performance problems with streaming, but I disabled it on the game's console, and after that it was smooth as silk.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
XSX.

Saw this, got excited, downloaded, played 1st mission and uninstalled.

Load times are shit, looks like shit, and unfortunately, performs like shit. I’ll just leave the fond memories of the original where they are.

Exactly Lee, same thing with me really.

Guys, i really tried to like it since i've always been into the Serious Sams but this has to be one of the worst performing games i've tried on the XSX - and i'm not blaming the console, i blame the (apparently) very poor optimization (like mansoor1980 mansoor1980 also mentions).
Even in "performance mode" the game CONSTANTLY dips and it's nowhere near 60fps - it feels like it drops to low 30fps when there's lots of action on the screen.
Couple that with bad controls (stick sensitivity, acceleration, poor deadzones) and it seals the deal.

This - unfortunately - feels like a cheap 'n' dirty PC-to-console port and it's a shame, don't know whether it'll be fixed (on console) but at the moment it's no bueno.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The title should include its on gamepass.

Serious sam games have some nostalgia with me. I remember a friend of mine when I was a teen has an OG Xbox, he had lots of money and he brought 4 xbox games one day, one of them was serious sam. We went back to his house, smoked weed,drunk OJ and played some Serious sam co-op...

Those were the days 😥

JackMcGunns

Perfect for GamePass, because I wouldn’t purchase this as is, too many glitches, but still dumb fun that I wouldn’t have had if GamePass didn’t exist.

The game was worse when it launched, but has received patches… and yes, this is after being patched lol.

SpokkX

On series X this runs like crap..

I have never seen a game rely so much on VRR to be playable..

With VRR it is actually fine to play - but I can tell it probably runs close to 40 than 60fps and it gets really close to the point where VRR does not help anymore..

MDSLKTR

Gotta say, as shitty as it runs (vrr doesn't seem to do anything?), the opening mission looks pretty crazy with thousands and thousands of ennemies.

Kacho

I heard it had PC tech issues at launch but I thought a bunch of that was fixed, no?
Yeah it ran like ass on PC at launch, not sure how much it has improved.

This was at 1440p btw. If I hooked up my 1080p monitor it ran better but still had framerate issues.

Reinstalling now to see if it improved.

Kuranghi

Yeah it ran like ass on PC at launch, not sure how much it has improved.

This was at 1440p btw. If I hooked up my 1080p monitor it ran better but still had framerate issues.

Reinstalling now to see if it improved.

Would much appreciate that feedback. I don't want to start a 17th new game at this point tbh.

What are your specs? I've got old 3770K but its 4 cores, 8 threads and its @4.4Ghz + a slightly over-clocked GTX 1080 FTW.

MikeM

This game pushes Series X hard. Even navigating menus while the game is on makes everything slow to a crawl.

This game has no hope with its tech issues. Especially being released same day for console as Halo Infinites campaign. Ouch.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yeah made no sense i just ignore this game ever came out

Don't know if you're into it but I will forgive them if The Talos Principle 2 (rumoured to be at TGA) is as good or better than the first and the DLC. If SS had to die for TTP I'm okay with it even if its kinda depressing to not have both.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
the talos principle was well optimized so it makes no sense why SS4 runs like bloody diaorrhea since both games share the same engine

Kacho

Would much appreciate that feedback. I don't want to start a 17th new game at this point tbh.

What are your specs? I've got old 3770K but its 4 cores, 8 threads and its @4.4Ghz + a slightly over-clocked GTX 1080 FTW.
At the time a 4790k and 2070 w/ 16gb RAM. I just upgraded to a 12700k and 32gb RAM. Still rocking the 2070.

Kuranghi

At the time a 4790k and 2070 w/ 16gb RAM. I just upgraded to a 12700k and 32gb RAM. Still rocking the 2070.

Well your CPU has like 9000 more K's than mine now plus dublay the RAM but I think 2070 isn't too far off a 1080.

Kacho

Well your CPU has like 9000 more K's than mine now plus dublay the RAM but I think 2070 isn't too far off a 1080.
Yeah not the best comparison but this thread inspired me to check it out again.

My assumption is that it will run better but the game is still a poorly optimized POS.

Not sure how CPU intensive SS is. I’m guessing a bit with all the carnage.

Kuranghi

the talos principle was well optimized so it makes no sense why SS4 runs like bloody diaorrhea since both games share the same engine

Exactamundo my 80s friend.

I'm replaying it now and you can do native 4K60 at higher than the maximum preset settings (custom) with 2xMSAA instead of FXAA on a GTX 1080 and it looks beautiful. The frames drop below 60 on the crazy foliage levels but its only a couple of them out of dozens. If I had a 1080 ti it would be locked I'm sure.

Thats awesome considering the game is from a time when native 4K was much less well optimised than it is now and was basically an afterthought, plus my GPU is only from 18 months after TTP launch. I know its a different beast design-wise and has issues generally but Arkham Knight for example is from 2015 and you can't even do locked 1440p60 on a 1080. Lots more happening ofc but the gulf is also massive.

Kuranghi

Yeah not the best comparison but this thread inspired me to check it out again.

My assumption is that it will run better but the game is still a poorly optimized POS.

Not sure how CPU intensive SS is. I’m guessing a bit with all the carnage.

Yeah maybe my CPU will let me down. I could lock to 24fps... in Serious Sam:

Day Valentine GIF

Please don't send death threats I promise I won't try to play Serious Sam at less than 60fps. Sorry for the scare, TemporalGAF.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Exactamundo my 80s friend.

I'm replaying it now and you can do native 4K60 at higher than the maximum preset settings (custom) with 2xMSAA instead of FXAA on a GTX 1080 and it looks beautiful. The frames drop below 60 on the crazy foliage levels but its only a couple of them out of dozens. If I had a 1080 ti it would be locked I'm sure.

Thats awesome considering the game is from a time when native 4K was much less well optimised than it is now and was basically an afterthought, plus my GPU is only from 18 months after TTP launch. I know its a different beast design-wise and has issues generally but Arkham Knight for example is from 2015 and you can't even do locked 1440p60 on a 1080. Lots more happening ofc but the gulf is also massive.
i hope TTP2 is well optimized if it is going to be revealed soon as you say

Billbofet

Hated this from the ten minutes I played. It looked and played like shit. Sad to see as I have a lot of fond memories of the other games in this series.

Kuranghi

i hope TTP2 is well optimized if it is going to be revealed soon as you say

I'm sure it will be but at least you could lock TTP to 30fps in a pinch and not feel like a total blasphemer. Unless they expanded the scope of the game and it has much more timing-based stuff now...

I shouldn't have to assume the worst, talking about locking to 30fps :smh: but thats where we are now.

This game pushes Series X hard. Even navigating menus while the game is on makes everything slow to a crawl.
My wife was Laughing hard watching me play. She said I had the most bewildered look on my face when I was running around a maze with a rocket launcher killing everything and suddenly I got 5 achievments in a row and the Series X just kind of didn't know what to do with the sound. All I saw was explosions and Achievmets banners. It was weird.

Kacho

Yeah maybe my CPU will let me down. I could lock to 24fps... in Serious Sam:

Day Valentine GIF

Please don't send death threats I promise I won't try to play Serious Sam at less than 60fps. Sorry for the scare, TemporalGAF.
Yeah it still runs horribly. Stutters constantly as new enemies spawn in. Basically unplayable.

A shame too because the game itself is soooo much fun.

Kuranghi

Yeah it still runs horribly. Stutters constantly as new enemies spawn in. Basically unplayable.

A shame too because the game itself is soooo much fun.

Bummer. Thanks for checking anyway.

Would you mind checking with in-game v-sync/fps limit disabled but external v-sync + fps cap from nvidia control panel? No worries if you dont have time/cant be bothered though.

Top Bottom