• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA SATURN: I want a Virtual Console Revival.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I forgot about Astal. That was the first Sega Saturn game I ever played. All I could think of was how gorgeous the backgrounds were.

pestul said:
Now think about attachable USB HDDs (first party even).

Now think about the probable adoption rate for such things, and the likelihood of somebody emulating Saturn's PITA multi-processor four-sided-polygon-math code for such a limited audience.

MrDaravon

sp0rsk said:
Guardian Heroes Online would be my game of the millenium.

True story: I got Guardian Heroes complete mint for five bucks at a flea market about 3 years ago, and haven't played it. Also, I am the only person who doesn't like Astal? I played it several years ago while the Saturn was still alive, and I didn't think it was anything special.

I expect to get called out on this post :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SailorDaravon said:
True story: I got Guardian Heroes complete mint for five bucks at a flea market about 3 years ago, and haven't played it. Also, I am the only person who doesn't like Astal? I played it several years ago while the Saturn was still alive, and I didn't think it was anything special.

I expect to get called out on this post :lol

Yeah, Astal is a little too slow moving and generic... but damn, the graphics!!!

PC Gaijin

SailorDaravon said:
Also, I am the only person who doesn't like Astal? I played it several years ago while the Saturn was still alive, and I didn't think it was anything special.

No, you're not the only one. Astal is shitty.

The Saturn's architecture was malignantly overcomplicated to the point where I'd have trouble believing that the Wii could emulate it reliably and at full speed.

The N64 was much simpler (pretty close to current gen designs with only a couple of outmodded design choices) which is one of the reasons why it's emulation was possible on the GameCube and will be done repeatedly on the Wii.

Razoric said:
HDD, achievements, potential online play, more powerful system to emulate it, etc
HDD? Sega Saturn games don't need that much. Achievements? Just write down your score. Potential online play? Why would that potential be any different on Live than on Wii? More powerful system? You mean more power going to waste processing the Sega Saturn games. Wii is more than enough to emulate the games, extra hardware power like X360 would make absolutely no difference what-so-ever.

Tain

Achievements? Just write down your score.

Online dynamic scoreboards would be a godsend for 90% of the Saturn games I care about.

Wii is more than enough to emulate the games

Handle (more effort-demanding) ports? Yes. Emulate Saturn games? No way in hell.

I'd get Guardian Heroes on XBLA without a doubt. It'd keep me from mentioning that I've beaten the game on hard without continues in every forum(thanks achievements!) :lol

Also if the pixelated mess the game turns into at times could be even slightly fixed now that would be godsend.

And yeah Astal was junk. Pretty..but junk. Clockwork Knight rocks though shame on Sega for never making a part 3.

But you know what? None of that is going to happen and believe me I'm happy about it. I have two copies of Guardian Heroes to ebay. :lol

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Not even if the emulator was coded by Jesus himself could the Wii handle Saturn emulation. But VC and XBLA aren't really about emulation, they're about ports. Simple games probably run on an emulator, but certainly SF2 HF on XBLA is not being emulated, since it's based on the PS1 code, and I imagine SOTN and other games will be enhanced ports than emulated. (Probably easier to put in the online code, achievements, and Dash functionality by porting as opposed to emulating.).

I imagine VC will run the same way as XBLA.

Andonuts

I talked with the GameQuest Direct people at E3 (you know, the guys who did the Gitaroo Man/Rez reprints last Christmas) and they said they were in talks with Sega to port Panzer Dragoon Saga to either PS2 or Xbox (or both).

So I guess there's the hope of that happening?

Fatghost said:
Not even if the emulator was coded by Jesus himself could the Wii handle Saturn emulation.

Jesus doesn't program on a regular basis, last I heard. So yeah, he'd probably do a crappy job. And that halo glare off the monitor? Well, that'd just make it harder.

PC emulators have to account for all different types of hardware, including video cards, memory, processors, and so forth. Console emulation has to pretty much worry about developing for one hardware setup (well, technically more if they switch components later on, make a "Wii Lite" or whatever, but still nowhere near the complexity and various potentials that need to be factored in to PC emulation), so it can be tuned, tweaked, and rely on the hardware they KNOW will be there. They can "cheat" in some instances rather than emulate (using interpretters and native components), and this'll really make for some speed boosts.

Besides, the Saturn is two console generations behind the Wii. It's not that unreasonable. And with Nintendo and Sega both working on it together, they'd have the best chance of getting it working well. And Sega is also extremely smart when it comes to emulation: if they see a really good emulator has been developed for one of their consoles, they PURCHASE it. They did it with KGen, then again with GiriGiri (for Saturn), the latter of which they did a few years ago, so they've had some time to work with it.

Fatghost said:
But VC and XBLA aren't really about emulation, they're about ports. Simple games probably run on an emulator, but certainly SF2 HF on XBLA is not being emulated, since it's based on the PS1 code, and I imagine SOTN and other games will be enhanced ports than emulated. (Probably easier to put in the online code, achievements, and Dash functionality by porting as opposed to emulating.).

I imagine VC will run the same way as XBLA.

You miss the point of VC, and why the catalog will be huge in comparison. Not nearly as deep or feature-laiden, but much larger.

VC is saying to developers, "Cheap cash-in on old games!" It's EXACTLY the same as those ROM compilation discs that are popular right now, except you can pick and choose which you want to buy, like buying just a few songs off an album in iTunes. Now in comparison, look at Street Fighter II Turbo for Xbox Live Arcade. It's got online play, and that's an impressive addition. But look how long it's taken, to release a single SFII game. It's not even a Super Street Fighter II game, or Alpha or SF3, just SF2 Turbo.

VC (for OLD games, I'm not talking about the new efforts/games they're going to make specifically for it) in comparison is basically, "Don't expect anything an emulator can't pull off," they aren't rebuilding most of these things; the only exceptions will be a few special ventures (that probably won't be cost-efficient), and something big like a remake of Super Mario Bros. with changes and new features.

Live Arcade is a much more robust, feature-heavy setup, but it practically REQUIRES the games be remade from scratch, and that's costly and time-consuming. That's why Sega didn't announce Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic 3D Blast for Xbox Live Arcade, they just announced Sonic 1, and that's because they'd already ripped and reprogrammed the resources for the cell phone version they made. (That's also why the Game Boy Advance is getting a version too. Once they figured out how to replicate the coding and had all of the resources ripped, it's much easier to port. But that first part is costly and time-consuming.) In comparison, the Wii VC is likely to get every Sonic game for Genesis, but they won't get Achievements, they're not likely to have Online Co-Op (although some emulators can pull that off), and so on.

I would love Saturn games on the Wii VC, because it really opens up a big market. A lot of great Saturn games were left in Japan because the system wasn't doing well in America, so it wasn't worth the translation (or in some cases, just distribution) costs. No distribution in a VC-style setup, and translations done in-house or farmed out, means a brand new selection of Saturn games in my native language playable without any swap discs or mod chips or Action Replay carts... that's pretty darned appealing.

Top Bottom