• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man I miss Sega, the console market hasn’t been the same without Sega

LakeOf9

Just random musing. I loved them so much. They were like an intersection of modern PlayStation and Nintendo - cutting edge technology and more mature games, but with Nintendo’s spirit of innovation and gameplay focus and experimentation.

Sega was just amazing. People really only think of the Genesis, or the Sonic games, but Sega did so much more.
  • They had a full color, backlit handheld way back in the 1980s.
  • They had 3D and VR in the 1990s.
  • The Nomad was basically a Nintendo Switch about 25 years before the Switch.
  • The Saturn had online gaming at a time the internet wasn’t even a niche thing (Sega was crazy).
  • The Sega CD helped normalize CD gaming.
  • 3D games became what they did in very large part because of Virtua Fighter.
  • The 32X was badly handled, but it was the original mid generated updated console that Sony and MS are now doing today.
  • Sega was doing full native BC back when no other company did.
  • Sega Channel was Game Pass all the way back in 1993!
  • The VMU was basically the original “two screen gaming experience” that Nintendo/companion apps would try to do properly over the years to come.
  • Shenmue was pretty much the first true modern open world game (and has a level of detail that’s still unmatched by many games today).
Sega’s death was sad because it basically said that unchecked innovation and experimentation has no place in the industry. And from a business point of view I get it but that bums me out. Sega was fucking insane, and trying out all sorts of ideas that the market and even technology did not exist for and would not exist for for literally decades sometimes.

I’m very happy with where Sega is right now but I think the console market is poorer for not having them. I’m happy Nintendo keeps some of that old Sega spirit alive, but Nintendo is Nintendo, not Sega. There was no one like Sega. In the console market drama of the last few days, I’m just reminded of this and I get sad.

I wouldn't want a modern Sega to do consoles. They are a shell of their former self snd make stupid decisions. Sitting on a goldmine of IPs and doing absolutely fucking nothing with them. In todays day, you cant afford to get "creative or innovative" too much money at stake and you'd be dead immediately (Unless you are filthy rich and your name is Nintendo thst can get away with anything and everything) No thanks.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Not current Sega, but back in the 90's when they had a bunch of internal talent. Th ey used to be edgy, but not in the dudebro sense.

Sadly we're a capitalist society and companies have to make money. That era of Sega was bleeding a lot of money. That can't last forever.

MagnesD3

I think Sega if they wanted could pull it off if they had enough talent to back up thier IP, I would go the nintendo route aka cheaper console with good (better than Nintendo but worse than sony) graphics/performance and focus on a stellar line up of Exclusives, its a pipe dream but it could be done.

Like make it a $250 console and no handheld mode but it has PS4 Pro graphics. The amount of good IP they have laying around is crazy tho, the main thing is they would have to make sure the quality is there.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I think they are at their top level today despite not having any hardware division, they have solid franchises on PC/consoles and they even made a good 3D Sonic for the first time since… Colors on the Wii?

Sega was never really the best at hardware anyway, even back in the SNES times.

Unknown?

I wouldn't want a modern Sega to do consoles. They are a shell of their former self snd make stupid decisions. Sitting on a goldmine of IPs and doing absolutely fucking nothing with them. In todays day, you cant afford to get "creative or innovative" too much money at stake and you'd be dead immediately (Unless you are filthy rich and your name is Nintendo thst can get away with anything and everything) No thanks.
That's every company though. Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, even 3rd parties like EA and Activision are sitting on a goldmine of IPs that are dead.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I doubt I would have ever been a home console gamer without SEGA......it would have been arcades then right to PC

Nintendo was just not cool to me as a kid, Neo Geo cost a mint and PC Engine(TG) was a non factor

As much as I miss the old days SEGA has moved on to uhhh better forms of entertainment

Last edited:

donfonzie

o95Yemb.jpg

Bond007

Grew up on genesis and loved my Dreamcast until i got my PS2.
They just released too many duds - couldn't really trust them post Genesis. Back then console failure was a real thing and choosing wisely as a child meant something. These days, the likes of failed consoles are able to stay afloat due to inflated wallets and buyouts.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just random musing. I loved them so much. They were like an intersection of modern PlayStation and Nintendo - cutting edge technology and more mature games, but with Nintendo’s spirit of innovation and gameplay focus and experimentation.

Sega was just amazing. People really only think of the Genesis, or the Sonic games, but Sega did so much more.
  • They had a full color, backlit handheld way back in the 1980s.
  • They had 3D and VR in the 1990s.
  • The Nomad was basically a Nintendo Switch about 25 years before the Switch.
  • The Saturn had online gaming at a time the internet wasn’t even a niche thing (Sega was crazy).
  • The Sega CD helped normalize CD gaming.
  • 3D games became what they did in very large part because of Virtua Fighter.
  • The 32X was badly handled, but it was the original mid generated updated console that Sony and MS are now doing today.
  • Sega was doing full native BC back when no other company did.
  • Sega Channel was Game Pass all the way back in 1993!
  • The VMU was basically the original “two screen gaming experience” that Nintendo/companion apps would try to do properly over the years to come.
  • Shenmue was pretty much the first true modern open world game (and has a level of detail that’s still unmatched by many games today).
Sega’s death was sad because it basically said that unchecked innovation and experimentation has no place in the industry. And from a business point of view I get it but that bums me out. Sega was fucking insane, and trying out all sorts of ideas that the market and even technology did not exist for and would not exist for for literally decades sometimes.

I’m very happy with where Sega is right now but I think the console market is poorer for not having them. I’m happy Nintendo keeps some of that old Sega spirit alive, but Nintendo is Nintendo, not Sega. There was no one like Sega. In the console market drama of the last few days, I’m just reminded of this and I get sad.
I forgot Saturn had Net Link. Most of the time we just think Dreamcast being that early internet capable console.

Not sure Nomad would have been like a regular Switch. It would have been like a Switch lite with a ton of batteries but I don't believe there was a way to connect it to a CRT.

GameGear was also the first region free handheld. I found out by mistake when I bought a handful of JP games and they played.

I probably couldn't say enough about Dreamcast in one post though. They were far too ahead of their time.

Reactions: Isa
I loved Dreamcast but Genesis was the golden era they could do no wrong in my book but a modern Sega console would be interesting I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, I'm sure they've learned a lot and I think it would bring tons of excitement to the industry

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I wouldn't want a modern Sega to do consoles. They are a shell of their former self snd make stupid decisions. Sitting on a goldmine of IPs and doing absolutely fucking nothing with them.
Samba de Amigo party central

Sakura Wars

Chuchu Rocket Universe

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultime Showdown

House of the dead Scarlet Dawn

PSO2 New Genesis (it's basically PSO3)

Daytona Championship USA

Sega World Drivers (basically Sega Touring Car 2 by Sega Rally's director)

Crazy Taxi and JSR reboots (Bloomberg)

Astro City mini with Revenge of Death Adder

Daytona 2, Spike Out in Yakuza games

They even licenced some of their IPs to third parties while other publishers are simply sleeping on their old IPs (SOR4, REZ, Space Channel 5VR, Comic Smash VR).

Wake up, dude. Of course, we want always more, better but Sega isn't doing nothing with his IPs.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I think modern Sega would make a good console, look at their current output. Sonic Superstars, Ryu ga Gotoku Gaiden, Persona 5 Tactica, Yakuza 8, and Persona 3 Reloaded all within the same time frame.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i agree but for different reasons. sega is treating their IP well.

returning as a new console manufacturer in 2023 just isnt gonna work. they should focus more on arcade and make more of those

BlackTron

Gotta be honest. Every time I am half-temped to buy Sonic Frontiers in a sale, I just blow through Sonic Adventure's 10 levels again and call it a day.

Yes I've played it, my friends copy. It just seems soulless.

I have zero interest/fantasy in a Sega console that doesn't show up with a kick ass Sonic game. If they can't do that, it's out of the running. No thanks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sega made awesome Genesis and 2k sports. Not all of them were good, but that 92-95 era and DC to early 2000s had awesome games. I still consider Genesis World Series Baseball games among the best baseball games I’ve played.

NickFire

I absolutely loved Sega consoles, and NBA 2k on Dreamcast was one of the best games of all time IMO.

But honestly, I don't miss Sega a single bit. They screwed me over real good with 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn. So many chores and pennies saved as a kid for nothing.

BlackTron

play Yakuza

I can do that already on another console and I'm fine with that.

To put it another way. Say Nintendo do some franchises right like F-Zero and Pilotwings, but had completely soulless Mario and Zelda. I would have no desire to see them bring consoles back. For me personally, a Sega console goes with a Sonic game the same way Nintendo goes with Mario and Zelda, if you can't get it right, go home

Puscifer

Everytime I go back to emulate the Dreamcast it blows my mind that a 3D console has a controller that has 2 less buttons than the Sega Saturn and there's no second analog stick, that's the decision making that was going on at Sega and I would not want them in the console market.

BlackTron

Everytime I go back to emulate the Dreamcast it blows my mind that a 3D console has a controller that has 2 less buttons than the Sega Saturn and there's no second analog stick, that's the decision making that was going on at Sega and I would not want them in the console market.

Eh they added shoulder buttons and the addition of a control stick opened up the Dpad for use as buttons.

Fat Frog

I think modern Sega would make a good console, look at their current output. Sonic Superstars, Ryu ga Gotoku Gaiden, Persona 5 Tactica, Yakuza 8, and Persona 3 Reloaded all within the same time frame.
FACTS

They have Creative Assembly, AM1, AM2, RGG Studios, ATLUS.
(It's already a big wave of talents).

Some Sega nuts think there are no more old Sega veterans ?

L - O - L

2023 Sega has:

- Skies of Arcadia's director.

- Daytona 2's director.

- Crazy Taxi's director

- House of the Dead's director

- Virtua Fighter's director

- Valkyria Chronicles's director

- F-Zero GX's director

- Outrun 2's director

- Billy Hatcher's director

- Top skater's director

- Jet Set Radio's director

- Samba de Amigo's director

And sooooooo many other creators.

On top of that, old Sega veterans who left the company are currently working with Sega:

- Naoto Oshima (Burning Rangers) is developping Sonic Super Stars for Sega.

- Kenji Sasaki (Sega Rally) developped Sega world Drivers for Sega and now new projects for Sega Europe.

Minobe (composer for Skies of Arcadia) often work with Sega as a freelance.

- Ryuta Ueda (Director of OG Yakuza games, artist for Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon) returned as a Sega employee.

Sega is shitting gold and a lot of veterans from old Sega want to work with them.

Don't be blind guys...

Sega has maaany talents from the past(old Sega veterans) present (Atlus, Creative Assembly) and future (Sega Sapporo Studio with new blood helmed by a Sega Sport veteran).

Sega 2023 is a PC and J-RPG Juggernault.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
the issue is that its mainly 3 franchises. 3 very popular & critically acclaimed franchises but still 3 franchises.

an AAA SOR sequel or a revival of dynamite headdy would add some diversity. but even then current sega doesnt have the chops or the consistency. they should stay third party and instead partner with someone, like sony or nintendo. and go for the arcade scene instead with powerful arcade machines and great looking games. they clearly still have the talent and they're in their best spot since the early 90s, why not

Last edited:

Fat Frog

(Source: Sega Retro, mobygames and...F-Zero GX's credits)

You have to understand that a load of famous name like Nagoshi, Naka were directors 30 years ago but recently they were just producers...

Makoto Osaki directed Daytona 2, not Nagoshi...he is still at Sega.

Sakamoto directed F-Zero GX, not Nagoshi...he is still at Sega.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

ohhh. isnt that guy still working at sega tho?
Yeah you can see Hiroyuki Sakamoto in the the last Yakuza TGS live from...today

Plus, the Head of RGG Studio, Yokoyama worked on Jet Set Radio, Ollie King, and was the main writer of the Yakuza franchise...it's not like he doesn't have a clue about that IP... 🤪😆

Told you, guys.

Modern Sega IS a talent POWERHOUSE.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Gotta be honest. Every time I am half-temped to buy Sonic Frontiers in a sale, I just blow through Sonic Adventure's 10 levels again and call it a day.

Yes I've played it, my friends copy. It just seems soulless.

I have zero interest/fantasy in a Sega console that doesn't show up with a kick ass Sonic game. If they can't do that, it's out of the running. No thanks.
Yeah to me they would need to commit to a 3D sonic gameplay model thats strong and build an interesting story/setting/fun charcters around it. Basically launch with a Sonic Frontiers that has a focused story, focused gameplay, with incredible music, that includes getting to play with the fun sonic friends and thier abilities with a big budget that has time to be finished in the oven. I see no reason that they cant make a 9.5 Sonic banger if they dont try to reinvent the wheel (No more crazy experiments with mainline Sonic games until its core is perfect) but focus on what is fun, what works and what people loved about thier good 3D sonic entries. A TOTK Sonic can be amazing.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
“How often do you think about Sega consoles?” Is the gamer version of “how often do you think about the roman empire” meme

The Stig

I feel your pain but the Sega of old is very much long gone.

Sega still does give me those nostalgia tingles. I've got a Dreamcast hooked up to my secondary monitor via VGA and I fire it up every now and then for some arcade feels. There were some lovely ports (soul calibur blew my mind at the time) and some hidden gems (dynamite cop, omg die hard arcade eat your heart out! Then there was sonic adventure.

Fat Frog

i mean nagoshi, does he still work there?
I mean, is it important ?

Sakamoto directed F-Zero GX...

You'll answer me, but Nagoshi directed Daytona...
My answer: Makoto Osaki directed Daytona 2 (even better than Daytona 1).

Both Sakamoto and Osaki are working at Sega right now....

So, loosing Nagoshi is less important than still having Sakamoto, Osaki at Sega.

Fat Frog

He left for NetEase in 2021
It's not crucial for Sega:

He directed OG Daytona, that's true.

But he didn't direct OG and modern Yakuza games, he didn't direct F-Zero GX, Daytona 2...

Also, look at Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth, it just looks awesome with a load of model 3 games, great environments...

Masayoshi Yokoyama is doing a fine job as head of Yakuza Studio.

Top Bottom