• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA SATURN: I want a Virtual Console Revival.

Matix

SEGA SATURN: Possibilities Of A Virtual Console Revival ?!:

If its one videogame platform I totally regret missing out on, it was the Sega Saturn. I've owned, and thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every major Sega Platform (besides the lovable Pico). Although, I sadly neglected the poor old Saturn. I purchased one pre-owned years after it was pretty much dead to everyone else, but I was to lazy to hunt down many of the classic games that made this system so great (Shinobi Legions, DBZ: Legends, and X-Men VS. Street Fighter where the only 2 games I ever owned for the console). Less than a month later... I sold my Saturn (for maybe $50) towards the import version of Shenmue, and used copies of Langrisser Millennium, & Frame Gride for DC (I was only 15, and dumb.... I feel so ashamed).

Anyway (leaving my disgusting past behind me), now I want to rekindle my lost love for the Sega Saturn using the possibilities XBLA, PSN, or even the Wii-VC. The chance to finally to fully experience Panzer Dragon Saga, Guardian Heroes, Nights, Fighters MegaMix, Burning Rangers, Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, Shining The Holy Ark, Dark Savior, etc.., using today's technologies (legally)... is all I ask for. So someone start kissing Sega's ass, and make this shit happen.. ASAP !!

ant1532

Banned
Matix said:
SEGA SATURN: Virtual Console Revival ?!:

If its one videogame platform I totally regret missing out on, it was the Sega Saturn. I've owned, and thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every major Sega Platform (besides the lovable Pico). Although, I sadly neglected the poor old Saturn. I purchased one pre-owned years after it was pretty much dead to everyone else, but I was to lazy to hunt down many of the classic games that made this system so great (Shinobi Legions, DBZ: Legends, and X-Men VS. Street Fighter where the only 2 games I ever owned for the console). Less than a month later... I sold my Saturn (for maybe $50) towards the import version of Shenmue, and used copies of Langrisser Millennium, & Frame Gride for DC (I was only 15, and dumb.... I feel so ashamed).

Anyway (leaving my disgusting past behind me), now I want to rekindle my lost love for the Sega Saturn using the possibilities XBLA, PSN, or even the Wii-VC. The chance to finally to fully experience Panzer Dragon Saga, Guardian Heroes, Nights, Fighters MegaMix, Burning Rangers, Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, Shining The Holy Ark, Dark Savior, etc.., using today's technologies (legally)... is all I ask for. So someone start kissing Sega ass, and make this shit happen.. ASAP !!
I dont understand why you put a question mark in the title...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
jesusrobertsenam7.jpg

That's for the misleading title and getting my hopes up.

Luckett_X

Banned
More chance of a revival on XBLA and PS3 'Arcade'. To emulate the Saturn requires quite a large amount of memory to pull off, as the original system was dual core. The Wii just doesnt have that kind of power.

So to see Saturn games on Wii, would require them to be recoded for it. And as others said, the size of games isnt suited to the 'small downloads' service the Wii is going for.

Well, if Castllevania:SOTN is coming to XBLA, then I guess it's possible other PS1/Saturn era games will. The games would pretty much have to be remade though, as I don't think Saturn emulation is possible - it was a very complex machine

cvxfreak said:
How come?

Well, I believe because the Wii only comes with 512 megs of flash memory, while the 360 has a 20 gig hard drive.

Though if downloading games gets serious, the PS3 would probably be the best bet, since it has the largest hard drive and its HD is also upgradeable.

cvxfreak

trancejeremy said:
Well, I believe because the Wii only comes with 512 megs of flash memory, while the 360 has a 20 gig hard drive.

Though if downloading games gets serious, the PS3 would probably be the best bet, since it has the largest hard drive and its HD is also upgradeable.

Well, I can easily hook up one of my iPods onto the Wii (I've got a 30GB photo lying around that was replaced with the video), while the 360's HDD only has ~13GB free space (I can't remember the exact number).

trancejeremy said:

According to Iwata himself, it's very likely that the Wii will accept USB hard drives for storage. How awesome is that?

ethelred

BlackMage said:
yeah, like that will ever be released here. :(

Vic Ireland went down fighting for it, from what I hear. ;)

Fatghost said:

Um, given what Saturn games actually look like, why would you even want that? Don't get me wrong, I love the console, and still rank it as one of my favorites, but you're seriously going to argue that 720p is what the system needs? Really?

Fatghost said:
What good would that do? None of the textures were created with 720p in mind. I mean I guess it would be a bit sharper but has Microsoft given any indication whatsoever that they'll be upscaling any classic games at all?

You know what would be easier? Buying a used Sega Saturn. The games are cheap on Ebay. And they did make an S-Video adapter for it. I still break my Saturn out once in a while for some Fighter's Megamix, Nights, and believe it or not I really enjoyed the Clockwork Knights series.

The Sega CD and Sega Saturn were the days when developers actually cared about music. You guys remember Spencer Nielson and Tommy Tallarico? Oh man no game soundtracks were as good IMO (BACK THEN) as Batman Returns, Sonic CD, and Earthworm Jim for the Sega CD.

MrDaravon

StingerNLG said:
You know what would be easier? Buying a used Sega Saturn. The games are cheap on Ebay. And they did make an S-Video adapter for it. I still break my Saturn out once in a while for some Fighter's Megamix, Nights, and believe it or not I really enjoyed the Clockwork Knights series.

Yeah, except for the fact that most of the really wanted games for Saturn cost insane amounts of money: Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, on and on.

I have a Saturn but practically no games because I can't bring myself to spend a hundred bucks for PDS, sorry.

ethelred

SailorDaravon said:
Yeah, except for the fact that most of the really wanted games for Saturn cost insane amounts of money: Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, on and on.

I have a Saturn but practically no games because I can't bring myself to spend a hundred bucks for PDS, sorry.

I actually have it, and even as spectacular as it is, I still can't honestly encourage anyone but the most insanely anal collector to buy it. That kind of money is insane to spend on any one game.

It'd really, really be great to have any kind of emulation because it would allow a ton of gamers to go back and play a bunch of true classics that they never got to experience. And it'd also allow those of us who actually have the games to still put away our Saturns and play even more games on one system.

Even those SNES/N64 games that I own, I'll probably get them for VC because of the convenience of being able to play them on the same system I'm currently using for more current games.

MrDaravon

ethelred said:
I actually have it, and even as spectacular as it is, I still can't honestly encourage anyone but the most insanely anal collector to buy it. That kind of money is insane to spend on any one game.

It'd really, really be great to have any kind of emulation because it would allow a ton of gamers to go back and play a bunch of true classics that they never got to experience. And it'd also allow those of us who actually have the games to still put away our Saturns and play even more games on one system.

Even those SNES/N64 games that I own, I'll probably get them for VC because of the convenience of being able to play them on the same system I'm currently using for more current games.

I'm with you 100% on the VC thing. The only reason I still own some NES/SNES/N64 carts is I'm afraid those titles won't go VC (stuff like Soul Blazer, 7th Saga, etc).

And yeah it sucks about PDS, but the problem is I can't even check out the game to see if it's any good or not without spending insane amounts of money (same goes for all those other titles).

Foil

StingerNLG said:
You know what would be easier? Buying a used Sega Saturn. The games are cheap on Ebay.

How would buying the system and a bunch of games on ebay, be easier than just logging onto XBLA and downloading them?

How would buying the system and a bunch of games on ebay, be easier than just logging onto XBLA and downloading them?

1) Price

2) Not having to download up to 400-500 megabyte games

3) Saving hard drive space

4) Access to the entire Saturn library instead of waiting for Sega to convert them

Edit: I forgot

5) How to convert redbook music tracks into the playable music for XBLA.

IMO of course.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Chris Remo said:
What good would that do? None of the textures were created with 720p in mind. I mean I guess it would be a bit sharper but has Microsoft given any indication whatsoever that they'll be upscaling any classic games at all?

Neither was SF2, Pac Man, or Castlevania SOTN, and SF2 and Pac Man turned out just fine, I'm sure SOTN will turn out just fine, and PSX games emulated and running at 1280x720 look fantastic. I'd imagine any Saturn games that get put on XBLA would get the same treatment.

aechris

Matix said:
Shinobi Legions (1), DBZ: Legends (2), and X-Men VS. Street Fighter (3) where the only 2 games I ever owned for the console

How did it get this far down without anyone calling this? You guys are slipping, unless I am retarded and don't know how to read properly.

Top Bottom