• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn is coming to PlayStation 5 this Fall (also available at retail with a physical Deluxe Edition)

Fredrik

It’s not for everyone but for me it was one of those games where I’m glad I don’t just go after Metacritic, it ended up as one of the most unique playthroughs I’ve ever done. It’s a very slow game, like Myst-slow, and lots of puzzles, and zero hand holding. Slow starter, it didn’t click for me until the second area. The atmosphere is like 11/10, unmatched for me, absolutely loved it.

Fredrik

Game is actually awesome. Just don’t expect it to play like Doom.
Yup! I think the trailers were misleading, you could get the idea that it’s a shooter but it really isn’t, it’s a horror puzzle adventure. There is some shooting but you always lack ammo, more so than RE1 for example, so they carefully learn you that it’s better to avoid monsters if you can. Oh God now I want to replay it! Some scenarios will forever be stuck in my brain. It’s so unique!

T-Cake

If it was updated with manual saves, then I'd give it another go. But the checkpoints were too far apart for my liking and I got fed up trying to kill the same creatures time and time again.

Moses85

No Thank You Reaction GIF

Matsuchezz

Oh what, Microsoft had a timed exclusive...nooo..but Phil, are you lying?
The good thing about PS is that they sign exclusivity deals of great games most of the time and not crappy ones. Such as this one. I watched my brother play it on his XsX. I used to fall sleep and wake up after some time. The atmosphere is good and that is it.

baphomet

You decided to launch on game pass.

You already told people the game was a freebie day 1. No one is purchasing this for full price now. You might get some sales at $20, but charging anymore than that is a pipe dream. Especially when it's a year later.

I say that as someone who, unlike most, actually enjoyed the game.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Scorn was really good. If you're interested in the Giger art style, the Alien series, or just a graphics whore it's definitely worth trying just for the atmosphere alone.

Played this on GamePass on my PC. A visually stunning game but it's all looks and no depth as the gameplay is not great. What's that saying... ah, yes... "all style and no substance" sums this game up well.

Its a great game, but it needs more help prompts, because its not always clear what you have to do.
For me it's like a FPS version of RIVEN. It looks amazing and you love the world, but haven't a clue what to do

Fredrik

Its a great game, but it needs more help prompts, because its not always clear what you have to do.
For me it's like a FPS version of RIVEN. It looks amazing and you love the world, but haven't a clue what to do
Not having a clue and trying to figure out what’s going on is the actual game, goes for the story too, everything is so incredibly vague and I love that. And it’s a short game, with hand holding I think you would just walk through it in like 3 hours.

Not having a clue and trying to figure out what’s going on is the actual game, goes for the story too, everything is so incredibly vague and I love that. And it’s a short game, with hand holding I think you would just walk through it in like 3 hours.
There's part of me that liked at the start (like Riven) but after a few hours it starts to annoy

Fredrik

Playstation-only fans should go through this before Spider-Man 2 comes out. Just don’t go in thinking it’s a shooter. It’s horror-Myst with some minor action sequences. Very very slow. And there is zero hand-holding. And the story is completely silent and only told through the environment and art and animations. See it like something like Inside. You play it once over a few hours and remember it forever.

MarkMe2525

Playstation-only fans should go through this before Spider-Man 2 comes out. Just don’t go in thinking it’s a shooter. It’s horror-Myst with some minor action sequences. Very very slow. And there is zero hand-holding. And the story is completely silent and only told through the environment and art and animations. See it like something like Inside. You play it once over a few hours and remember it forever.
I agree, not many games have made me feel as unsettled as this one. Not for everyone, but worth a shot for most.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

My man !
Also : dont be afraid to use guides, just the 1st puzzle by itself is enough to make people quit (i.e : shit game design, can't reset the puzzle pieces so you're most probably better off restarting the 1st chapter, it's that bad).

It's also on the short side (about 7 hours) so it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Brilliant art-direction that stays with you long after you've finished the game.

Having said all that...I played it through Gamepass, it's one of those games that's better suited for rental services/subscriptions since it's very short and it doesn't have any replay value whatsoever, it's basically a one and done game.

If i were to give it a score it'd be a solid 6/10 since besides the art-direction and general atmosphere...it doesn't have anything else going on for it.

Cheers

Top Bottom