• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Schreier's next hit piece due to drop - Jaffe hopes it is fair and not an excuse to shit talk!!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Or it was really true.

Then why did he publicly say he was wrong?

iAfpaDH.png

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Then why did he publicly say he was wrong?

iAfpaDH.png

This is the issue with rumormongering. Even if the person telling you things says they're absolutely sure, plans change, and often they have only part of the picture. There's always a fat chance of posting misinformation.

This, without mentioning the fact that people running their mouths usually don't own the announcements they leak. They take upon themselves the responsibility to take away from other developers in their team the ability to reveal their hard work on their own terms, which is a huge dick move. People like Schreier who do business on leaks enable that, and that's despicable.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the issue with rumormongering. Even if the person telling you things says they're absolutely sure, plans change, and often they have only part of the picture. There's always a fat chance of posting misinformation.

This, without mentioning the fact that people running their mouths usually don't own the announcements they leak. They take upon themselves the responsibility to take away from other developers in their team the ability to reveal their hard work on their own terms, which is a huge dick move. People like Schreier who do business on leaks enable that, and that's despicable.
The the name of the game with rumours and leaks.

Rumour: The next Call of Duty will be WWIII

Reality: It is WWIII
Result: "I was right"

Reality: It is kind of like WWIII
Result: "Close enough. I was right"

Reality: It is planetary warfare on Mars
Result: "Dont blame me, I can only go on sources"

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
He was wrong with the planned timing if you read.
So he was indeed...wrong.

You asked for evidence and got it from his own digital mouth.

I am not a fan of leaks but they are sadly just the reality. Companies are getting better at getting ahead of them but its a problem that isnt going to go away.

Fbh

Probably another article about how he talked to 5 anonymous "current and former" employees at some 300+ person team about the horrors they had to go through like:
- Having to work paid overtime at the final stages of a 5 years $60+ million dollar project
- Higher ups "dismissing" their concerns about lack of diversity, "problematic" elements in the game and a general lack of wokeness
-Feeling like their ideas weren't being listened to while those of others were, with no context of what those ideas were
- People around the office making non PC jokes and the company not going out of their way to enforce a hostile work environment where everyone has to walk on eggshells as to not offend anyone.

Alandring

Honestly, I cannot disagree more about Jason Schreier. I think it's a great journalist and even if I don't like its political opinion (like the fact that he always speaks about unions), I don't think there as very visible in its articles. Sure, he writes a lot about crunch, but he gives us a lot of valuable informations that we wouldn't have had without him. And he dosn't leak things just for the pleasure of fame, unlike people like Daniel Ahmad.

Elog

Honestly, I cannot disagree more about Jason Schreier. I think it's a great journalist and even if I don't like its political opinion (like the fact that he always speaks about unions), I don't think there as very visible in its articles. Sure, he writes a lot about crunch, but he gives us a lot of valuable informations that we wouldn't have had without him. And he dosn't leak things just for the pleasure of fame, unlike people like Daniel Ahmad.
I agree - not sure why one of the few real journalists in our field get so much flak. He is a good guy - you do not need to love him but he is doing a good job.

I couldn’t disagree more. He’s dangerous. He gives people enough information to be outraged yet they don’t really understand the nature of the industry enough to have the proper context. At least that’s my perspective on crunch. The other stuff, I take less issue with.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I somewhat disagree. My issue is he doesnt just report. He reports and then spins it in whatever direction he sees fit. A reporters job is to report, not slant it in their own direction. His book was far more compelling as he kept his ego out of it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well at least someone pays attention to jschreier.
At least he does some actual reporting along with actual interviews with real people. He doesn't just post rumors or make shit up. Sure, some people might have a 'bone to pick' but usually 'where there's smoke there is fire'.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Polling employees if work is shit or not is not accurate for many reasons.

1. Typically the loudest angriest worker will vent. Most other people wont say anything. Just check Glassdoor or Indeed employee reviews. Youd think every company in the world is bad to work at based on all these employee posts (which skew a lot to former employees).

2. If someone like Jason Schreier gets hold of 20 people, there is no proof he doesn't cherry pick the bad responses while avoiding the good ones (see above). Given his kinds of articles, you'd thik he's batting 1.000 where every person he talks to hates the company

I can guarantee all of you he is avoiding posting the good or counter points. I find it hard to believe every gaming employee at every company he talks to only has bad things to say

3. Nobody knows the kinds of questions he even asks. He might be purposely leading them with negative/complaining questions as opposed to open ended holistic questions which can go good or bad

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Apparently, some people love being spun around and pointed in a convenient (for the writer) direction. That's exactly what people like Schreier do to you, and looks like you like it.

And he dosn't leak things just for the pleasure of fame

Indeed. He also does it for money and to push his partisan political views on the industry, which is worse.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
At least he does some actual reporting along with actual interviews with real people. He doesn't just post rumors or make shit up. Sure, some people might have a 'bone to pick' but usually 'where there's smoke there is fire'.

Depends on how accurately the "fire" is being reported.

boil44.JPG
Elm-St-Fire-7-23-17.jpg

Elog

Apparently, some people love being spun around and pointed in a convenient (for the writer) direction. That's exactly what people like Schreier do to you, and looks like you like it.
Pot calling the kettle black...

Opinion and news are two different things. In our time, media outlets (especially in the US after the legislation changed during Bush Sr.) often blurs the line. I actually find that the news articles that Jason writes rarely enters opinion territory. What is funny is that you are angry on him for his opinions stated on Twitter etc by stating your opinion and no facts (i.e. doing exactly what you are accusing Jason of doing which is both funny and confusing at the same time...).

• Fire
Reactions: e&e

SSfox

I hope Jason is never playing an AAA game and just play indies considering his all time complains, cause it would look a bit odd.

TheMan

so do we have any idea what game or team this will be about?
Let's see- Avengers? More indepth into CDPR/ Cyberpunk?

Papacheeks

Banned
I get frustrated because this is life for many people regardless of industry. I work in corporate finance and 5 months out of the year I see my wife an kids for maybe an hour of the day. The rest of the time I’m locked up in the office, grinding it out to meet deadlines. This is life for a lot of people. If you work with competent people, it can also be enjoyable despite the challenges.

I hardly take any time off, I do have weekends off but am on call. I work a set schedule but it could change at a moments notice. I picked and made course correction as I was going to school over 12 years ago for 3d modeling, game asset creation.

I saw the amount of loans I had to take out, on top of trying to work on my own project, and talked to a couple friends who already were in games. They said if they could they would have changed to something different. SOME OF THEM ended up leaving the industry all together.
It's not for everyone. But you need to know that this kind of industry is all about making products with deadlines against tons of other companies who are making possibly similar products. It's super competitive, which is why crunch is a thing.

Jason thinks he can help change the industry by shining a light on issues. To a point he has helped at least get the conversation out of the shadows on some of the more heinous stuff that happens. But anything that has intense competition is going to be nuts.
There are studios that exploit their workers like Activision/Blizzard with people pay raises and what not. But to work in those fields you have to understand you are literally doing a dream job. People who have exceptional work tend to work a fuck ton. It's true for everything.
Do you know how much crunch american choppers had for some of their build? Even though a lot of that show was made up drama bullshit, the bike builds with deadlines were not.
I know friends in california who work 12 hour days 5 days a week. And it's in IT.
They get paid for it.
It's their choice to find a new company if they are being treated un-fairly. But when it's your company and its your name on the line you bet your ass your working long days.

Industry needs changing for sure in categories of equal pay, having more opportunities to become a permanent employee if you were contract. But I love people like Jason who dont think Corey balrog started at the bottom and crunched his ass off, same with Jaffe.
You think Corey was not sleep deprived during God of war 2? ANd notice that he didn't start a family till much later in his life when he was in a position that afforded him a little more flexible options for spending time with his kids. Even in his documentary about god of war he notes how little he sees his kids.

It's not for everyone, and I think Jason likes to only focus on bad things and not look at history of studios work and the people who started at the bottom and worked their way to the top, who so happen to be the people who disagree with him.

harmny

Banned
You don't like him I get that but all their workplace issues he leaked was proved true even with internal corporate emails.
The last one about CDPR is still showing how true it was with a lot of employees left the company and the manage mess it was proved.

Here you go. Jason exposed.

and it's funny that the guy works for bloomberg and he doesn't understand basic economy at all. Comparing salaries in Poland with salaries in California :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

and it's funny that the guy works for bloomberg and he doesn't understand basic economy at all. Comparing salaries in Poland with salaries in California :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LOL.

I love how everyone compares things to US prices.

Who says the US should be the norm across the world?

Why not Switzerland where min wage is about 20 Euros = $24/hr US? US people getting ripped off!

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Pot calling the kettle black...

Opinion and news are two different things. In our time, media outlets (especially in the US after the legislation changed during Bush Sr.) often blurs the line. I actually find that the news articles that Jason writes rarely enters opinion territory. What is funny is that you are angry on him for his opinions stated on Twitter etc by stating your opinion and no facts (i.e. doing exactly what you are accusing Jason of doing which is both funny and confusing at the same time...).

It's funny how you don't even notice that his "opinion" is slapped all over your face by cherry-picking extremely one-sided sources that exclusively support the narrative convenient to him.

You must be extremely naive if you truly believe that everyone he speaks to always conveniently gives him information that matches one single viewpoint within companies with hundreds of employees.😂

You don't need to explicitly write your "opinion" when you can simply cherry-pick (or invent) fully anonymous "sources" that you don't need to back up at all because your employer does not require any accountability as long as you get clicks.

Last edited:
I hardly take any time off, I do have weekends off but am on call. I work a set schedule but it could change at a moments notice. I picked and made course correction as I was going to school over 12 years ago for 3d modeling, game asset creation.

I saw the amount of loans I had to take out, on top of trying to work on my own project, and talked to a couple friends who already were in games. They said if they could they would have changed to something different. SOME OF THEM ended up leaving the industry all together.
It's not for everyone. But you need to know that this kind of industry is all about making products with deadlines against tons of other companies who are making possibly similar products. It's super competitive, which is why crunch is a thing.

Jason thinks he can help change the industry by shining a light on issues. To a point he has helped at least get the conversation out of the shadows on some of the more heinous stuff that happens. But anything that has intense competition is going to be nuts.
There are studios that exploit their workers like Activision/Blizzard with people pay raises and what not. But to work in those fields you have to understand you are literally doing a dream job. People who have exceptional work tend to work a fuck ton. It's true for everything.
Do you know how much crunch american choppers had for some of their build? Even though a lot of that show was made up drama bullshit, the bike builds with deadlines were not.
I know friends in california who work 12 hour days 5 days a week. And it's in IT.
They get paid for it.
It's their choice to find a new company if they are being treated un-fairly. But when it's your company and its your name on the line you bet your ass your working long days.

Industry needs changing for sure in categories of equal pay, having more opportunities to become a permanent employee if you were contract. But I love people like Jason who dont think Corey balrog started at the bottom and crunched his ass off, same with Jaffe.
You think Corey was not sleep deprived during God of war 2? ANd notice that he didn't start a family till much later in his life when he was in a position that afforded him a little more flexible options for spending time with his kids. Even in his documentary about god of war he notes how little he sees his kids.

It's not for everyone, and I think Jason likes to only focus on bad things and not look at history of studios work and the people who started at the bottom and worked their way to the top, who so happen to be the people who disagree with him.
Thank you for your insightful commentary on the industry and the context necessary to relate it to other careers. I appreciate your thorough answer.

This is the kind of stuff that I’m talking about. I doubt this isn’t intentional. A journalist should easily understand countries have vastly different costs and standards of living.

Kuranghi

IDGAF about this story but Jaffe needs to shut the fuck up and do some reading on current topics. He's got a brain slug and he needs to excise it before its too late. The too late being that he prostrates himself at the altar of guilt. I don't know what that would look like but I know it wouldn't be pretty.

harmny

Banned
Thank you for your insightful commentary on the industry and the context necessary to relate it to other careers. I appreciate your thorough answer.

This is the kind of stuff that I’m talking about. I doubt this isn’t intentional. A journalist should easily understand countries have vastly different costs and standards of living.

At first I thought it was just his agenda. There is no way a serious journalists couldn't understand differences in purchasing power between different countries. It had to be on purpose.

Then I saw him tweeting asking the president to cancel student debt and it was the confirmation that indeed he doesn't understand basic economy at all :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
I do think there’s a bit of an exaggeration because some in here disagree politically with him and want to frame it purely as the other side is factually wrong because that has more weight than having a knee jerk difference in politics. Some questions like labor rights are necessarily value laden - as in there is no value free framework to analyze. Notice how some of the same people complaining also sock puppet the majority of developers at a company with their views via claims about unrepresentativeness

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Not a fan of Schreier at all. A lot of his posts revolve around dirt and "drama" in the industry that typically doesn't do anyone any good.

I mean, his myriad of posts revolving around CDPR didn't make their situation any better in the slightest. Or all the QA nonsense in general.

As someone that was in AAA QA for about 7 years, it was completely eye rolling to look at. He made it sound like it's something new to the industry when it's been happening for decades. Does that make it okay? Of course not, but unless there's some gigantic sway that involves AAA as a whole wanting change, it's not going to budge. Crunch exists in AAA (and indie) gaming, just like it does in software and other fields.

Also, don't give the man too much credit for his "leaks", a lot of them appeared elsewhere before he got his hands on them. If anything, his "connections" just confirm whether or not they're true.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Also, don't give the man too much credit for his "leaks", a lot of them appeared elsewhere before he got his hands on them. If anything, his "connections" just confirm whether or not they're true.

Anyone who works in the industry for a long enough time has people telling them stuff.

The difference is that most don't believe in betraying the trust of those telling them stuff confidentially, or in enabling people who run their mouth at the expense of tens or hundreds of other developers working with them on a reveal. Both things are bad, so people who aren't scum do neither.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I don't like the guy and what he writes. He needs to explore other industries as well if he wants to really dig deep into what the game development industry needs to improve.

It would be wonderful if everyone could get paid what they actually deserve, work 9 to 5 and still release products on par to other companies that don't respect those issues but it is not like that. There are many industries that need to be corrected and development is way down the list.

Mining, manufacturing, cleaning, waste disposal, medicine... The list is endless. Getting outraged for developers is really stupid (specially when the same outraged group gets outraged again because of rising prices, delays or drops in quality).

The hypocrisy is so real that despite taking this guy's word as absolute truth, people still spend money on those studios and publishers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t read his pieces, but man, Schreier is one creepy-looking fella. Wouldn’t want him nosing around at my workplace.
No doubt. Given the kind of dirt digging he does, he'd be a total loner at work. This is him at work:

Jason: Hey how's it going?

You: Same old. Something funny happened on the weekend though.

Jason: Really? Please tell (brings out a notepad).

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
If it's about crunch....blame it on the publishers. They determine that a game MUST ship by a certain date. Every employee should know that crunch exists and will happen eventually. If they don't like it then find another career.

MiguelItUp

Anyone who works in the industry for a long enough time has people telling them stuff.

The difference is that most don't believe in betraying the trust of those telling them stuff confidentially, or in enabling people who run their mouth at the expense of tens or hundreds of other developers working with them on a reveal. Both things are bad, so people who aren't scum do neither.
Sometimes, sure. But there are plenty of people that take confidential information seriously. Have I been told things overtime? Sure, by close friends I've made in the industry. But I'd never betray their trust. I also don't pry, what's told to me is what's told to me. In time you find out the industry is a LOT smaller than you may think, so, it's best to not risk anything, haha. I mean, you don't wanna burn bridges.

Very true, those that do either are scum, lmao.

I once worked for a studio that was hit with a rough patch, but the higher ups always did their best to be transparent about everything. They did an EXCEPTIONAL job at it too. Door was always open, etc. The one ask was to keep it within the walls of the company, because at that moment the company was talking to a number of potential investors and other folks that were interested in the product. As well as wanting to do other projects with the studio. So, going out and saying anything about the studio's condition at the time could be seen as negative and ruin any chances of getting through it all in a positive manner.

Someone then went on to tell a very well known gaming site, and the news spread like wildfire.

As a result, all of the potential opportunities that were within the grasp of the company flew out the window because this SINGLE person outside of 130-150+ people decided to tell said news site that the studio was in dire straits. The studio was hit with massive layoffs, and a lot of its divisions were closed.

I don't know who this person was or is, but all I can do is hope for the absolute worst for that person. I truly mean that.

*cough*

Anywho, I just personally don't want to give Schreier any credit. I mean, if he stopped tomorrow, I can guarantee you more people would be happy about it than upset.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sometimes, sure. But there are plenty of people that take confidential information seriously. Have I been told things overtime? Sure, by close friends I've made in the industry. But I'd never betray their trust. I also don't pry, what's told to me is what's told to me. In time you find out the industry is a LOT smaller than you may think, so, it's best to not risk anything, haha. I mean, you don't wanna burn bridges.

Very true, those that do either are scum, lmao.

I once worked for a studio that was hit with a rough patch, but the higher ups always did their best to be transparent about everything. They did an EXCEPTIONAL job at it too. Door was always open, etc. The one ask was to keep it within the walls of the company, because at that moment the company was talking to a number of potential investors and other folks that were interested in the product. As well as wanting to do other projects with the studio. So, going out and saying anything about the studio's condition at the time could be seen as negative and ruin any chances of getting through it all in a positive manner.

Someone then went on to tell a very well known gaming site, and the news spread like wildfire.

As a result, all of the potential opportunities that were within the grasp of the company flew out the window because this SINGLE person outside of 130-150+ people decided to tell said news site that the studio was in dire straits. The studio was hit with massive layoffs, and a lot of its divisions were closed.

I don't know who this person was or is, but all I can do is hope for the absolute worst for that person. I truly mean that.

*cough*

Anywho, I just personally don't want to give Schreier any credit. I mean, if he stopped tomorrow, I can guarantee you more people would be happy about it than upset.
Thats sucks. And unfortunately this kind of dirt digging and bean spilling is a game industry kind of thing. Some reason people love to tell the world.

At my company we sell tons of different shit in stores. Pretty sure just about every person on GAF has something of ours at home. But we chop products off every year. Typically the bad sellers or low profit items.

Internally, we know the news a good half year before account managers are told to tell their head office buyers the news. It's like that so (like your place), it gives the teams time to come up with a plan how to respond or fill the gap where 5 products come off the shelf.

You never see anyone go on social media and tell the world "Hey everyone, just heard today we are canning these 5 items". "Bad news everyone, just found out this brand is discontinued in 6 months.".

Bosses dont have to tell people either to wait for the green light to tell the news when it comes public. People are smart enough not to open their mouth. Even when I talk to friends in similar companies (we all change jobs), we never go out of our way and tell them bad news until it's known in the industry. Its just one of thise things you act like a responsible worker. None us at a pub suddenly go, "Hey Steve, nudge nudge, we are canning this products later this year. Haha" You just dont do this.

Yet in gaming, there's loose lips everywhere some reason.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
What a cringey thumbnail pic. I thought we were done with the boomer soy face. Why does Jaffe take pictures like that, and why does he type like a teenage girl? Not a good look.

Old man trying to use social platforms but is way behind the curve on trends. As a fellow old man robot, I feel comfortable saying this. I know I'm old because I'm struggling to even understand what that tweet chain is about.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
We are not saying he's lying but, if you watched videos of Jaffe at his small studio bartlet brothers he's answering someone who ask's him about crunch. And he's literally surrounded by his team who also chime in on what this industry is.

Schrier is amazing at his job, he is really the only guy actually doing investigative reporting. Only other person I know who shows that level of investigative reporting who actually broke stories and not pieces was Patrick Klepek. Who now is more of a writer than a reporter.

But Jason writes giant pieces with weeks to months worth of interviews, sourcing ect. But the way he goes about it to make it informative and unbiased actually shows he's trying to make it like the whole industry is broken. And it's not, it's just a really stressful industry same as any product that has deadlines.

Software developers fall into the same boat, but are less stressed because deadlines are not the be all. WHen it comes to a entertainment product like video games there are hard deadlines because thats how things are funded by investers. Software like antivirus will continue to sell all the time, games and entertainment have limited windows they are up against.

Jason believes most big companies that use similar environments as film need to be uprooted and changed because of their impact on developers. When people that create software for applications have similar crunch all the time, and no one is putting a spotlight on it. People that work on features for MAYA, Adobe crunch and I doubt have the best schedules.

Sometimes a game doesn't even come together until closer to the home stretch. And then you are working against the clock. Sometimes without that pressure of a hard deadline your not looking or as focused which leads to having bugs not fixed.

So wouldn't the right answer be for someone else to step up and expose the other industries, instead of putting the onus and blame on Schreier? He is just one man, not a messiah. It sounds like some people would rather have it be that he never revealed this information in the first place and keep up the status quo. If entire work systems are broken themselves, why is he getting the blame for exposing a broken system? Should the broken system itself not get the blame?

Some here are even saying that they experience crunch in their field, but are getting upset with this one man instead of their industry. It sort of reminds me of the mentality of "I've had it bad, so you should to" which is why things never change, because this work the person has been in for years and put blood sweat and tears in to reach a better position, has now assimilated them to the very culture they've hated all that time. It's a bit diabolical of companies to do this just to keep the wheel the way it is and none are the wiser.

When has he revealed actual "crunch/overtime" hours? Only thing I've seen is his discussions with a handful of anonymous workers who say exactly what he wants them to say about working conditions and "crunch". I'm not talking about actual news such as Bob Kotick getting bonuses in the midst of layoffs. Schreier is the guy who will make it out like a massive number of devs left Naughty Dog after TLOU 2 was done because of "crunch". He said it was "a whopping 70 percent". People ran with that and were saying Naughty Dog lost the vast majority of their workforce after TLOU 2. But you have to read his stuff very carefully. Turns out it was 14 people out of 20 "non-lead designers". 14 people....out of 500. A whopping 70%. I can't count the number of times I've seen people reference that percentage. I've read elsewhere that it isn't uncommon for workers to leave a studio after a project, especially contractors, but that doesn't help his story at all. I'm not saying there is no truth in his articles. I'm saying I think he leaves a lot of truth out his articles.

As far as his politics, it seems obvious his politics is pushing the narrative that he wants to push. If you think that is irrelevant then fine. I don't.

Um...14 out of 20 is about 70% man. Out of that specific number and that specific sentence, he wasn't wrong. Are you sure you didn't misread his quote? Because it sounds like he was possibly wrong with what he said afterwards. I see what you're saying with his wording though, he apparently needs to make it way more clear of employee titles and numbers. I think his larger message is fine though. I don't think the guy is a flawless reporter, he can do better. But I give him credit for what he's enlightened people to so far.

Top Bottom