• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Schreier's next hit piece due to drop - Jaffe hopes it is fair and not an excuse to shit talk!!

cormack12

Gold Member
Note: The blurs were done by Jaffe himself and are nonsense so don't decipher them ot read into them

7D9eLC.jpg

KxswOh.jpg

XjCfuK.jpg

a06fe237110e6da70fefe36b99f3c681.gif

In with tha popcorn, anyone else?

Article now up:

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
hes been a plague on the gaming industry for a long time but went pure tabloid after the RE WOKENING
Need more context. All I've seen Schrier do is spill the beans on bad business practices, bad management, garbage bosses who take bonuses for themselves, and the insane amount of crunch and overtime that publishers try to hide. Those things are kind of indefensible.

Topher

Gold Member
Need more context. All I've seen Schrier do is spill the beans on bad business practices, bad management, garbage bosses who take bonuses for themselves, and the insane amount of crunch and overtime that publishers try to hide. Those things are kind of indefensible.

That would require believing everything he says is on the money and he is not using journalistic tactics to highlight the story he wants to tell rather than actually seeking out truth.

And frankly, I don't trust any "journalist" who is as politically motivated as someone like Jason Schreier. If he wants to lobby for unionizing developers then that is fine, but he sacrifices his integrity. Personally, I wish he just move over to covering politics and worshipping Bernie Sanders and be done with video games.

Last edited:
Maybe he should do an expose on his own employer. Bloomberg is like every other financial shop in NYC. Let’s see how many bosses there are crunching and working around the clock.

tommycronin

There's only a certain amount of times you can expose the same thing before it becomes tiresome. We've known about bad business practices for years now and still here we are.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
People who are busy reporting real gaming news and don't have their gaming horizons limited to the usual trite AAA stuff don't need to ever quote a single anonymous source to justify their existence 😂

For people like Schreier, every day is a slow news day, I guess, so they gotta fill some pages with *something*. 😂

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
That would require taking everything he says is on the money and not use journalistic tactics to highlight the story he wants to tell rather than actually seeking out truth.

And frankly, I don't trust any "journalist" who is as politically motivated as someone like Jason Schreier. If he wants to lobby for unionizing developers then that is fine, but he sacrifices his integrity. Personally, I wish he just move over to covering politics and worshipping Bernie Sanders and be done with video games.

What companies do you feel he has lied about or pushed a narrative on? When fiscal earnings come out, when crunch/overtime hours are revealed, or when we read news that another wave of employee firings have happened and yet the CEO gets another bonus, should these findings not be brought to light?

I'm confused. It sounds like some people here might dislike him for reasons other than his work(like his political sidings). If that's the case, what does it have to do with the thread?

Maybe he should do an expose on his own employer. Bloomberg is like every other financial shop in NYC. Let’s see how many bosses there are crunching and working around the clock.
That sounds like a dumb move(career suicide). I don't think he got this far by being dumb.

Pedro Motta

I bet it's more shit flying in Naughty Dogs direction, especially on Neil Druckmann's side. Jason has a beef with him and can't wait to fuck him up.

kuncol02

Banned
If David Jaffe is involved in some way then I guess it's Sony related?

I bet it's more shit flying in Naughty Dogs direction, especially on Neil Druckmann's side. Jason has a beef with him and can't wait to fuck him up.
ND is known for crunch culture so not surprising that Jason is interested in them.

Papacheeks

Banned
What companies do you feel he has lied about or pushed a narrative on? When fiscal earnings come out, when crunch/overtime hours are revealed, or when we read news that another wave of employee firings have happened and yet the CEO gets another bonus, should these findings not be brought to light?

I'm confused. It sounds like some people here might dislike him for reasons other than his work(like his political sidings). If that's the case, what does it have to do with the thread?

That sounds like a dumb move(career suicide). I don't think he got this far by being dumb.

We are not saying he's lying but, if you watched videos of Jaffe at his small studio bartlet brothers he's answering someone who ask's him about crunch. And he's literally surrounded by his team who also chime in on what this industry is.

Schrier is amazing at his job, he is really the only guy actually doing investigative reporting. Only other person I know who shows that level of investigative reporting who actually broke stories and not pieces was Patrick Klepek. Who now is more of a writer than a reporter.

But Jason writes giant pieces with weeks to months worth of interviews, sourcing ect. But the way he goes about it to make it informative and unbiased actually shows he's trying to make it like the whole industry is broken. And it's not, it's just a really stressful industry same as any product that has deadlines.

Software developers fall into the same boat, but are less stressed because deadlines are not the be all. WHen it comes to a entertainment product like video games there are hard deadlines because thats how things are funded by investers. Software like antivirus will continue to sell all the time, games and entertainment have limited windows they are up against.

Jason believes most big companies that use similar environments as film need to be uprooted and changed because of their impact on developers. When people that create software for applications have similar crunch all the time, and no one is putting a spotlight on it. People that work on features for MAYA, Adobe crunch and I doubt have the best schedules.

Sometimes a game doesn't even come together until closer to the home stretch. And then you are working against the clock. Sometimes without that pressure of a hard deadline your not looking or as focused which leads to having bugs not fixed.

If you like having tons of free time, dont go into entertainment. Here's some video's that better explain what I'm trying to say.

Jaffe and his Bartlett team:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Jason can be a trash person but his leaks are 100% genunine.

This is 100% comedic.

His "leaks" are simply cherry-picked anonymous sources to sell a dishonest partisan narrative. Only someone extremely naive could blindly believe reports about companies employing tens or hundreds of people who are absolutely one-sided, in which everyone sings the same song.

This kind of report exposes itself. Genuine reporting would include people on both sides of the fence. Pretty much all companies have people who are unhappy and people who are happy about their condition there. To believe that Schreier only comes across people that very conveniently support the message he wants to sell is as naive as it comes. It's obvious that he's selecting only those convenient to him, which is massively dishonest.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
This is 100% comedic.

His "leaks" are simply cherry-picked anonymous sources to sell a dishonest partisan narrative. Only someone extremely naive could blindly believe reports about companies employing tens or hundreds of people who are absolutely one-sided, in which everyone sings the same song.

This kind of report exposes itself. Genuine reporting would include people on both sides of the fence. Pretty much all companies have people who are unhappy and people who are happy about their condition there. To believe that Schreier only comes across people that very conveniently support the message he wants to sell is as naive as it comes. It's obvious that he's selecting only those convenient to him, which is massively dishonest.
His track record is still 100%.

ethomaz

Banned
Not really. It's easy to drop "game X is delayed" when you don't care about breaking the trust of the people that tell you stuff.

But all the more complex reports about workplace situations are never proven.
Show me on time his leak was wrong?
C'mon the guy leaks are always on spot and they are straight to the point.

All games he leaked being canceled, delayed, ported, revealed, announced, etc... all happened like he said.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

When has he revealed actual "crunch/overtime" hours? Only thing I've seen is his discussions with a handful of anonymous workers who say exactly what he wants them to say about working conditions and "crunch". I'm not talking about actual news such as Bob Kotick getting bonuses in the midst of layoffs. Schreier is the guy who will make it out like a massive number of devs left Naughty Dog after TLOU 2 was done because of "crunch". He said it was "a whopping 70 percent". People ran with that and were saying Naughty Dog lost the vast majority of their workforce after TLOU 2. But you have to read his stuff very carefully. Turns out it was 14 people out of 20 "non-lead designers". 14 people....out of 500. A whopping 70%. I can't count the number of times I've seen people reference that percentage. I've read elsewhere that it isn't uncommon for workers to leave a studio after a project, especially contractors, but that doesn't help his story at all. I'm not saying there is no truth in his articles. I'm saying I think he leaves a lot of truth out his articles.

As far as his politics, it seems obvious his politics is pushing the narrative that he wants to push. If you think that is irrelevant then fine. I don't.

Last edited:
We are not saying he's lying but, if you watched videos of Jaffe at his small studio bartlet brothers he's answering someone who ask's him about crunch. And he's literally surrounded by his team who also chime in on what this industry is.

Schrier is amazing at his job, he is really the only guy actually doing investigative reporting. Only other person I know who shows that level of investigative reporting who actually broke stories and not pieces was Patrick Klepek. Who now is more of a writer than a reporter.

But Jason writes giant pieces with weeks to months worth of interviews, sourcing ect. But the way he goes about it to make it informative and unbiased actually shows he's trying to make it like the whole industry is broken. And it's not, it's just a really stressful industry same as any product that has deadlines.

Software developers fall into the same boat, but are less stressed because deadlines are not the be all. WHen it comes to a entertainment product like video games there are hard deadlines because thats how things are funded by investers. Software like antivirus will continue to sell all the time, games and entertainment have limited windows they are up against.

Jason believes most big companies that use similar environments as film need to be uprooted and changed because of their impact on developers. When people that create software for applications have similar crunch all the time, and no one is putting a spotlight on it. People that work on features for MAYA, Adobe crunch and I doubt have the best schedules.

Sometimes a game doesn't even come together until closer to the home stretch. And then you are working against the clock. Sometimes without that pressure of a hard deadline your not looking or as focused which leads to having bugs not fixed.

If you like having tons of free time, dont go into entertainment. Here's some video's that better explain what I'm trying to say.

Jaffe and his Bartlett team:

I get frustrated because this is life for many people regardless of industry. I work in corporate finance and 5 months out of the year I see my wife an kids for maybe an hour of the day. The rest of the time I’m locked up in the office, grinding it out to meet deadlines. This is life for a lot of people. If you work with competent people, it can also be enjoyable despite the challenges.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Show me on time his leak was wrong?
C'mon the guy leaks are always on spot and they are straight to the point.

Show me one of his reports about workplace situations that has been proven to be as one-sided as he describes them.

Again, simple stuff like delays is easy when you're unscrupulous and only care about clicks.

ethomaz

Banned
Show me one of his reports about workplace situations that has been proven to be as one-sided as he describes them.

Again, simple stuff like delays is easy when you're unscrupulous and only care about clicks.
You don't like him I get that but all their workplace issues he leaked was proved true even with internal corporate emails.
The last one about CDPR is still showing how true it was with a lot of employees left the company and the manage mess it was proved.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
You don't like him I get that but all their workplace issues he leaked was proved true even with internal corporate emails.

Proven doesn't mean what you think it means. All large companies have issues, but his reporting is so one-sided that it's basically science fiction. The fact that corporate takes action to avoid blowback is not evidence that the report is genuine.

I'm actually always shocked by how many people believe reports that are so one-sided that anyone doing some critical thinking would know they're fishy.

Last edited:

The problem is that people who don’t work in environments like this don’t realize that this is how they operate by nature. You can’t overstaff for the lulls just to be able to handle the highs in demand. Sure, you can hire contractors, and I’ sure they do, but contractors are often way more expensive and can’t get up to speed fast enough.

Top Bottom