• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Schreier's next hit piece due to drop - Jaffe hopes it is fair and not an excuse to shit talk!!

Regarding Cyberpunk, up until recently CD Projekt was a beloved and trusted developer with a seemingly great business ethic. There would have been no reason to suspect them of wrongdoings beforehand and try to investigate
You must have missed when they admitted in 2019 that crunch on Witcher III was "not humane".

We knew about crunch years ago, and you are excusing it ITT, selling a narrative that this is a brand new thing for Cyberpunk, necessitating the most recent coverage. It's nothing new.

Why did he ignore the last gen console performance? Why was that not an issue? You haven't answered that question, just dodged it.

It's not like people aren't doing anything to address this. If a business is engaging in exploitative practices, there are real people to contact. There are laws in place. There are watchdog groups. If someone is doing something illegal, then a watchdog group can set you up with a lawyer. Instead of Tweeting about it or telling a Videgoame Writer contact someone who can actually help.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
We knew about crunch years ago, and you are excusing it ITT, selling a narrative that this is a brand new thing for Cyberpunk, necessitating the most recent coverage.
Actually I didn't know. I can't excuse something I simply did not know about. However thank you for revealing that news to me. Which brings me to my next two points...

You must have missed when they admitted in 2019 that crunch on Witcher III was "not humane".

If he did know, why would he cover something that's already been covered? This isn't like news networks where they have to tell you the same talking points because people only tune in to certain channels. If it was put out there, that means it was already addressed. What would addressing the same situation twice accomplish?

You haven't answered that question, just dodged it.

I can't dodge a bullet I didn't know was shot. You revealed new information to me and now I'll have to read up on it and come back to the conversation, but don't just think I'm blindly defending him without reason. I provided a theoretical but at the end of the day I'm not him. I don't fully know his reasons for lack of coverage, same as you. However, going off of his track record my prediction is that he usually doesn't cover things that have already been revealed by other sources, so he'd have no reason to cover this considering CD Project did it to themselves.

Papacheeks

Banned
9 years of working as software developer. Never ever crunched in my life, but we make sure to have realistic deadlines in our team. Work without crunch is possible.

Many General managers work 60 hours a week in retail, labor intensive jobs. It's not ideal and sometimes not for 3-4 months. But it is present. If you dont' want to work those hours go into another field/company. I know tons of IT admins who are way more stressed than me and work consistently 50-60 hours. Also note that 50-60 hours can be spread out over 7 day period. Meaning at studios the doors are open for people to come in on a Saturday and put in 4-5 hours, come back sunday and do the same sometimes even remotely.

You are acting like this is a slave labor camp, or in a factory. ANd I know people in factory's who want the overtime when they can get it which nowadays is a rarity.

Last edited:
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I somewhat disagree. My issue is he doesnt just report. He reports and then spins it in whatever direction he sees fit. A reporters job is to report, not slant it in their own direction. His book was far more compelling as he kept his ego out of it.
Jason's ego is large enough to have its own gravitational field.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Who even cares, its just negativity negativity and negativity, does nothing constructive at all for your day, just play games and have fun, stop giving attention to this jason witch hunt schreier and the likes of him

kuncol02

Banned
GAmes sometimes dont even run or have the ability to do a complete playthrough until final 6 months.
Can you finish making that game in 6 months without crunch? If yes then you planned production correctly, If not then game should be delayed.

Not saying that people crunching for months on end is good and should continue, just that sometimes thats what happens.
Problem is not in fact that crunch sometimes happens, but in fact that it's for many people reason to be proud. That's probably only situation in the world when people are proud of being terrible in their job (estimating implementation and stabilization time is part of developer job). There is reason why we talk about "crunch culture" and not "crunch incidents".

PooBone

A thread with two of my least favorite egos in the industry in one thread title, about a story that doesn't exist yet.

I'm sure some people will be outraged, whatever it's regarding.

Papacheeks

Banned
Can you finish making that game in 6 months without crunch? If yes then you planned production correctly, If not then game should be delayed.

Problem is not in fact that crunch sometimes happens, but in fact that it's for many people reason to be proud. That's probably only situation in the world when people are proud of being terrible in their job (estimating implementation and stabilization time is part of developer job). There is reason why we talk about "crunch culture" and not "crunch incidents".

You should be proud of your work. I helped rebuild a entire news set, and News delivery system from scratch and worked like multiple 12+ hour days to do it. I was paid for it, and was not alone in getting it done. It was planned, and there were complications with software that took whole re-writes on the fly with multiple teams. Reason why there are so many contrasting stories when you look at the video game landscape AAA-INDIE. Is because indie games have different variables, and a lot of the time they are working tons of hours because either there are only a handful of developers or sometimes just one. Do you think Johnathon blow doesn't have long ass days sometimes?

He probably does and his investor/publisher for whoever he's making the game for wants the game by the deadline he submitted he's going to have to crunch if issues are not ironed out to get to where it needs to be.

When the game launches he should be proud of the work he is done.

I agree crunch should not be encouraged if you can be efficient. And that comes with time. Santa Monica is very efficient, so is Insomniac. There are going to be days though your going to put in extra, it's going to happen. ANd I think at the end of the day your handwork should be something that you should be proud of as a individual and as a team.

It's almost impossible in video games with all the multiple variables to have a perfect 9-5 schedule. I work IT and have a set schedule very rarely do I have exact time every day.

i do agree the culture of encouraging crunch from the top down is something that should be talked about. But Jason likes to paint every studio that will have crunch regardless of circumstances like they are all evil. Without understanding how south a project can go in an instant.

Last edited:

Denorion

Neo Member
I usually really like Schreier, the articles he does really bring up to light crappy stuff ( the Bioware mismanagement of EA was a highlight)

But I think he can be a bit arrogant from time to time, remember when he called the artist of Dragons Crown a "13 year old" because of the female character designs, which wasn't really fair, he was punching down a sma studio in Japan that was in danger of going under

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

You likely shouldn't parrot the misleading use of quotation marks from a site that is misquoting a developer to support a false point. Nothing in what was said is an admission that it was "not humane."

Last edited:

EDMIX

What companies do you feel he has lied about or pushed a narrative on? When fiscal earnings come out, when crunch/overtime hours are revealed, or when we read news that another wave of employee firings have happened and yet the CEO gets another bonus, should these findings not be brought to light?

I'm confused. It sounds like some people here might dislike him for reasons other than his work(like his political sidings). If that's the case, what does it have to do with the thread?

That sounds like a dumb move(career suicide). I don't think he got this far by being dumb.

yea I never understand this crap.

I personally don't like the person, but shit I personally don't like MOST people....thats irrelevant to the things he has exposed in the industry. I don't think any of the articles he makes are arguing to be his friend and I would question anyone trying to even push some person making articles like this solely based on them PERSONALLY liking the person.

I simply separate those ideas and look at the information as is. If a person likes the person who made the article or not is fucking irrelevant and I've notice Gaf and most gamers have a hard time dealing with that. Hear the information given, not ever fucking person needs to be your friend. Its the stupidest shit I've ever heard.

I do the same with users on here.

I might disagree with a user on something they believe personally, but if you make a comment I agree with, you get the like and I quote it agreeing with you.

I do the same with publishers.

I might disagree with something they do as a company, but if they make a game that is fun, they get the buy.

So it shouldn't be surprising that if a journalist I PERSONALLY don't like, makes a lot of valid points and makes an article that makes sense and has sources etc, I'll agree with it and move on.

Again...no user needs to be your best fucking friend to agree with them, no publisher needs to be GOD LIKE in order to get the buy and no PERSON needs to be your best friend, share all your same views and beliefs to make a logical article that can be agreed with. I simply can't read articles based on if I personally like the person or not.

I personally don't like most, but it would be stupid as shit to then use that to dictate all articles i read or all information I gather etc. They have no relevance to me when I just read factual information.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I dislike Schreier because despite his pretensions of being an "investigative reporter" he's just a tattler, a purveyor of cheap tabloid hackery. If he was up-front about this I wouldn't mind too much, but its the fake seriousness and self importance that annoys the piss out of me.

Harts316

First, Schreier's work isn't only about crunch. In its book, he also talks about Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley or even about how wonderful CD Projekt is as developer for its work on The Witcher 3 (yeah, this content didn't aged well...). About Bioware, he also has multiple very interesting insights, not only about crunch.

Secondly, Red Dead Redemption II and The Last of Us Part II were two huge successes. I don't think Jason Schreier's reports affect game sales, and I don't really see the problem to learn how those studio works. It doesn't mean that crunch is always bad, but I think informations are always useful, especially if they don't affect game sales.

Any time I ever hear about him or read his articles he is talking about crunch. It is basically his brand. It’s a proven topic that panders to an audience who eats this shit up. He’s good at exploiting this issue for his own personal gain. In a way I respect him.

e&e

Banned
Not really. It's easy to drop "game X is delayed" when you don't care about breaking the trust of the people that tell you stuff.

But all the more complex reports about workplace situations are never proven to be as one-sided as he describes them.
I need receipts!

luffie

This is 100% comedic.

His "leaks" are simply cherry-picked anonymous sources to sell a dishonest partisan narrative. Only someone extremely naive could blindly believe reports about companies employing tens or hundreds of people who are absolutely one-sided, in which everyone sings the same song.

This kind of report exposes itself. Genuine reporting would include people on both sides of the fence. Pretty much all companies have people who are unhappy and people who are happy about their condition there. To believe that Schreier only comes across people that very conveniently support the message he wants to sell is as naive as it comes. It's obvious that he's selecting only those convenient to him, which is massively dishonest.
Hilarious, always all that talk but 0 proofs given.

So which has he lied? Cyberpunk? Bioware? Who are the anonymous who lied, cyberpunk employees? Who the boss finally felt the need to come up and admit and apologize?
And believe who, your words with 0 source?

Jason's posts just give you guys a raging boner every season. The previous guy was right, Jason may be trash, but his reports has more credibility than your garbage rhetoric.

e&e

Banned
Lay off the REEE and discuss like an adult.
I already laid it out earlier. I’m not going to repeat myself when you provided no solution to the problem.
“It’s the nature of the job” is unacceptable. We never would have made the changes we have to today when it comes to workers rights without tackling these said problems head on and revealing them for what they are!
Oh, Schreier's biggest fanboy's back.

Which has he lied? Simple critical analysis of his posts ("article" would be insulting for actual articles) indicates that the answer to your question is "all of them." A report in which *all* the anonymous sources in a company with hundreds of employees sing the same song, which is coincidentally the song convenient to the writer, is inherently dishonest. There simply is no way that everyone who he spoke to gave him exactly the same point of view. Teams of hundreds are no hive minds and work conditions are very subjective. Hence, it's obvious that he cherry-picked what was convenient to his narrative and discarded what was not. Only a complete lack of critical thinking can make you come to a different conclusion.

It's funny that you call mine "garbage rhetoric" when rhetoric is all the one you consistently defend (to the point of personal insult. I wonder why you're so invested) is all about, and in the most negative and disingenuous meaning of the word.
Oh ok, no examples?

You are a troll!

Edit: Holy shit at the mod warning! “Improper behavior” of what exactly, saying someone is a troll for repeatedly not providing examples? Nah that can’t be it...nice agenda though, and thanks for explaining what exactly I said that needs a warning!

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Hilarious, always all that talk but 0 proofs given.

So which has he lied? Cyberpunk? Bioware? Who are the anonymous who lied, cyberpunk employees? Who the boss finally felt the need to come up and admit and apologize?
And believe who, your words with 0 source?

Jason's posts just give you guys a raging boner every season. The previous guy was right, Jason may be trash, but his reports has more credibility than your garbage rhetoric.

Oh, Schreier's biggest fan's back.

Which has he lied? A simple critical analysis of his posts ("article" would be insulting for actual articles) indicates that the answer to your question is "all of them." A report in which *all* the anonymous sources in a company with hundreds of employees sing the same song, which is coincidentally the song convenient to the writer, is inherently dishonest. There simply is no way that everyone who he spoke to gave him exactly the same point of view. Teams of hundreds are no hive minds and work conditions are very subjective. Hence, it's obvious that in the most charitable scenario, he cherry-picked what was convenient to his narrative and discarded what was not, which is inherently dishonest reporting. Only a complete lack of critical thinking can make you come to a different conclusion.

It's funny that you call mine "garbage rhetoric" when rhetoric is what the one you consistently defend (to the point of personal insult. I wonder why you're so invested) is all about, and in the most negative and disingenuous meaning of the word.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Which has he lied? A simple critical analysis of his posts ("article" would be insulting for actual articles) indicates that the answer to your question is "all of them." A report in which *all* the anonymous sources in a company with hundreds of employees sing the same song, which is coincidentally the song convenient to the writer, is inherently dishonest. There simply is no way that everyone who he spoke to gave him exactly the same point of view. Teams of hundreds are no hive minds and work conditions are very subjective. Hence, it's obvious that in the most charitable scenario, he cherry-picked what was convenient to his narrative and discarded what was not, which is inherently dishonest reporting. Only a complete lack of critical thinking can make you come to a different conclusion.

It's funny that you call mine "garbage rhetoric" when rhetoric is what the one you consistently defend (to the point of personal insult. I wonder why you're so invested) is all about, and in the most negative and disingenuous meaning of the word.
Exactly.

Schreier tries to paint a picture that he "interviewed X number of people", he does a summary of shitty corporate cultures and spins it trying to make it look every person he interviewed said the same thing.

If he interview 8 people out of a 200 person team, 1 or 2 people may have said the bosses are crap. But he'll never say all 8 said that. Nor if his small sample size is even representative of 100+ people teams. And he never says how many good opinions he excluded from his hit piece. He tries to paint a picture his article represents the opinion of every employee at the company which it doesn't. And that the worker opinion is that it's 100% shit show.

I can do the same thing.

I can pick a company with 10,000 people look at public Indeed and Glassdoor employee reviews and say based on cherry picking these 50 1-star reviews the company sucks.

Or here's a different way to paint a picture. I will interview 10 people at Pepsi.

- 2 say the company is cheap
- 2 say its crunch time all the time
- 2 say the bosses suck
- 4 say nothing bad at all. Nothing sensational or worth printing

But based on the above, I can technically say most of the people I interviewed claim Pepsi is cheap, employees are overworked and there's bad management.

Last edited:

luffie

Lmao "critical analysis"! By who? by yourself?! So your OPINION backed by nothing is critical?

Becasue he didn't go by your preference of interviewing ALL of the employees?

And then the CEO admits they did crunch, and have the email receipts, apologize, but somehow your critical analysis is the truth??

Such hilarious garbage, in the end you still haven't been ablee to provide any concrete evidence with any corroboration except your "critical analysis".

I don't even like Jason, but seeing you guys having rage boner every season calling him lying without a single corroborating evidence is just hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just read it, its not even that bad, lol.

Some of the info is head scratching tho.

jroc74

Last edited:

dyergram

Not disagreeing with facts he’s presented as there’s no way to verify them. If no lou1 remake comes out he can say it’s cancelled if days gone gets a sequel now (which it still may) he can say it’s due to demand. His assertion that Sony is obsessed with ‘churning out’ blockbusters is a weird way of saying Sony is doing a good job of trying to make the most successful best received critically games it can, and is no different to what Jim Ryan has publicly stated.

ethomaz

Banned
Not disagreeing with facts he’s presented as there’s no way to verify them. If no lou1 remake comes out he can say it’s cancelled if days gone gets a sequel now (which it still may) he can say it’s due to demand. His assertion that Sony is obsessed with ‘churning out’ blockbusters is a weird way of saying Sony is doing a good job of trying to make the most successful best received critically games it can, and is no different to what Jim Ryan has publicly stated.
Yeap I can’t see how a focus in Blockbusters is a bad thing.
TLOU remake depends how is the remake of it is a la God of War... I’m all in... if it is like the first game I won’t buy/play.
Days Gone sequel was not something I expected... maybe with PC sales but that was a hard call.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
You can say what you want about him, but I don't think there is any other journalist with that much access to insider info from companies all around the world.

jroc74

You can say what you want about him, but I don't think there is any other journalist with that much access to insider info from companies all around the world.
From the specs of the consoles to the talks about power/performance to just info about games development....I think Jason gets hated on unnecessarily as far as his info.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Lmao "critical analysis"! By who? by yourself?! So your OPINION backed by nothing is critical?

Becasue he didn't go by your preference of interviewing ALL of the employees?

And then the CEO admits they did crunch, and have the email receipts, apologize, but somehow your critical analysis is the truth??

Such hilarious garbage, in the end you still haven't been ablee to provide any concrete evidence with any corroboration except your "critical analysis".

Lol, critical moron. I don't even like Jason, but seeing you guys having rage boner every season calling him lying without a single corroborating evidence is just hilarious.

It's funny how you're going so full REEEEEEEEEEEEE on this that you're shouting around insults like candy. You claim you don't like him, but I've seen you do nothing but defending him. It's also funny that you demand evidence (while ignoring whatever the counterpart says) against reports that include zero evidence to begin with, and require no accountability from the writer.

You don't need to interview "ALL of the employees" of a studio to receive conflicting reports on something as subjective as labor conditions.

The point is that if you interview any significant number of employees in studios that have hundreds it's basically impossible NOT to receive conflicting reports. Schreier's reports NEVER Include testimonies that conflict with the narrative convenient to him, which shows that he obviously cherry picks his sources in order to artificially support the point he wants to make. It is not a difficult concept to understand.

Top Bottom