• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCARLET NEXUS - Xbox Series X Early Demo Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagey K

Banned
I got it to work. I was looking for it under demos that's why. That's not where it's located. Game is great. My only disappointment it's the story. Just pictures. I hate that method of storytelling. Plus you have to press A after each sentence. That's pretty lazy.
If covid is going to fuck games up I'd prefer it be the cutscenes it fucks up and not the actual gameplay.

I have no idea if they planned fully animated cutsxenes previously. Just assuming.

This game is awesome fun love the psychic throws and moves

WfuN66j.jpg

fclO1g7.jpg

7n6pfW3.jpg

mAxL1zo.jpg

kRHFRAY.jpg

k43Zxa9.jpg

saintjules

Really enjoyed the demo. Day 1 for me. I'm not a big fan of the floaty camera control. I also feel like I'd want to control the FOV in some ways. Other than that, great stuff.

I'd like to see how the PS5 takes advantage of the haptic feedback/adaptive triggers. If it's good, then I'll grab it on there.

Last edited:
How is the hits response/feedback , are they satisfying ? Code Vein was terrible in this it almost felt like hitting the air with the lack of enemies reaction to it .

Yeah they felt satisfying, particularly with LT (probably L2 on PlayStation) when you launch the much bigger objects at enemies. I only tried the Code Vein demo and didn’t like it much although it has a decent character creator which this doesn’t have.

fatmarco

Really fun combat, but a little disappointed by the level design being a bit too old school in terms of it being so linear, square and rigid. I do hope in the final game that there's a lot more environmental variation too.

cireza

UI is pretty, but it is a tad small to play on TV. The screen to choose the skills had me get close to my TV to read stuff.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I definitely want to try the demo but unfortunately I have to wait until 28th for PS5 version.

It’s seems we are getting positive impressions so far.

Bartski

Gold Member
Demo done on XsX.

I didn't know you pick one of 2 characters, each goes through a different stage with different enemies to end with an almost identical boss... So it's a bit like 2 demos.
Both share the key mechanic, which is this kind of telekinetic weaponizing of various objects from the environment, you've seen it all in the previews...

The coolest part of the combat system is that it's about chaining those attacks with regular attacks, using your primary weapon, but more importantly - your specials, which are the powers of your companion squad...
Those specials are not your common damage or DPS buff race, but are something should you use strategically against various enemies, taking advantage of their different vulnerabilities so you can then hit them with a lamp post...
It all comes together as what seems like an intro to a fairly complex and satisfying combat system.

Very responsive controls. The weird and confusing lock-on system takes getting used to.

Performance-wise locked 60fps without a hitch no matter how crazy the combo.

I have to say it's a shame that in a game being about telekinetic powers - physics here just scream last-gen, all objects such as cars etc disappear immediately after throwing them without any effect, collision sucks but that's what you'd expect from a game made for to run on the Xbone and base PS4 I guess...

Story-wise feels very light-hearted and teeny-cartoony... a bunch of hero friends saving the world from plant-like creatures attack or something.
Most importantly, none of the godawful cringe-inducing weebo melodrama akin to Code Vein detected, definitely for the better.

The downsides are kind of subjective, the tutorial section shows you the ropes to what might be the worst jap pop dubstep tune I've heard in ages, just horrible to the point it crossed my mind to quit right there.
I'm happy I didn't because after getting the hang of it - gameplay here is definitely the strong point. After beating the demo you're forced to listen to a music video which is also one I wouldn't want to suffer through again.

Solid game, but feels like something that will be out on GamePass in 6 months no less. I'll wait.

All I fucking know is this game... this fucking game!!!!! I love how good the combat feels with every action. I timed that dodge RIGHT when the oil attack would be coming after me, and it led to that badass slow mo perfect dodge scenario.

And that skill tree I can't wait to dig further into. They give you some points to do upgrades right out the gate in the demo.

This needs to become a franchise. It better sell man! Xbox Series X|S and PS5 owners, buy the fuck out of this!! Same for last gen!!!!

Last edited:
I wish you could play it right now! It's Day ONE for me! Just a few more days till you get to experience Scarlet Nexus.

Game is incredible, and don't sleep on the challenge either. Enemies can kick your ass if you don't fight smart, use party member's special powers properly, and if you neglect your psychokinesis powers. Some enemies are literally just meant to slapped in the face with something big as fuck before you go in for the sword combo attempt.

Gotta utilize that special attack with Y, as it builds up your PK guage bigtime and those follow up rushs and pk follow up rush attacks are crucial for massive damage.

Banned
I have to say it's a shame that in a game being about telekinetic powers - physics here just scream last-gen, all objects such as cars etc disappear immediately after throwing them without any effect, collision sucks but that's what you'd expect from a game made for to run on the Xbone and base PS4 I guess...

all of the graphical makeup of the game just looks like an Xbox 360 remastered game. sadly games like these don't get a big budget. if you ignore the resolution difference it doesn't look much better than Astral Chain on Switch if at all.
but the style is there so that mitigates the issue often times with japanese AA releases

GHG

Gold Member
Glad to see everyone is enjoying this, looks like it will be great from what I've seen.

Also if you like this game then you will most likely also like Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana so check it out if you haven't already. A lot of the mechanics looks to be similar.

all of the graphical makeup of the game just looks like an Xbox 360 remastered game. sadly games like these don't get a big budget. if you ignore the resolution difference it doesn't look much better than Astral Chain on Switch if at all.
but the style is there so that mitigates the issue often times with japanese AA releases

Couldn't disagree more. Everything about this game to me is AAA. Nowadays all that qualifies for AAA to some is raw graphical quality. This game visually shines beyond what might be expected of it through its world design and art. The character designs, combat and effects, all running at a buttery smooth 60fps.

This game looks far better than some remastered 360 title. Are you playing it yourself or just going off the lower quality videos you're seeing online? This game is absolutely beautiful.

Banned
Couldn't disagree more. Everything about this game to me is AAA. Nowadays all that qualifies for AAA to some is raw graphical quality. This game visually shines beyond what might be expected of it through its world design and art. The character designs, combat and effects, all running at a buttery smooth 60fps.

This game looks far better than some remastered 360 title. Are you playing it yourself or just going off the lower quality videos you're seeing online? This game is absolutely beautiful.

I played through both demo levels on my Series X, and it doesn't look much better than an Xbox 360 game
this is Bayonetta running at 4K

this doesn't look significantly worse (if at all) than Scarlet Nexus

Last edited:
Didn't look at the skill tree cause I don't want to spoil it, but so far no parry and that's what always look for in combat games. Doesn't need it but still.

Esca

Looking forward to trying out the demo. Game caught my attention early on so I'm happy to see the praise thus far

I played through both demo levels on my Series X, and it doesn't look much better than an Xbox 360 game
this is Bayonetta running at 4K

this doesn't look significantly worse (if at all) than Scarlet Nexus

Honestly, I'm a sucker for stylized visuals. I think Bayonetta looks great, but I think Scarlet Nexus is a clear step above visually. The visuals for what it's attempting to achieve are simply just flawless.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
I played the demo and the game exceeded my expectations

I really loved the combat system and overall setting and atmosphere. I hope it will come to game pass ultimate by the time i have finished RE village

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Great demo and enjoyed it, looks incredible on Series X do i get it for my PS5 or Series X 😭

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
The combat looks fun for now but I'm hoping for more. Those powers may look good and exciting to use but I did feel like most of them are just gimmicky one-button action, and if that's the only interesting on the horizon for the skills trees, then I will be concerned for a bit. Bandai games have always been like this though.

Also, I'm still not sold on the premise considering there are tons of games JRPG specifically with this setting already.

Another thing, this game's attention to detail is fantastic. Every single equipment change you make shows up in all the various cutscenes, character dialogue moments. You'll see characters wearing exactly what you put on them to wear.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The demo for Scarlet Nexus is now available on Xbox platforms, with two playable characters and two separate missions. Check out Yuito's mission played on hard difficulty in 4K, captured on the Xbox Series X.

Scarlet Nexus is an action RPG from Bandai Namco, developed by many of the same minds behind Code Vein, as well as the Tales series. It features two playable protagonists, Yuito and Kasane, who are cadets in the OSF (Others Suppression Force). It combines fast paced character action with relationship building RPG mechanics, all set in a world that is powered by powers of the brain.

Zeeed

I have mixed feelings about this game after the demo.

I like the fast combat, but the right stick controlling the look movement feels a bit laggy.

The graphics are nice, I just hope they have different environments instead of a different city block here and there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played through the demo. The game seems pretty alright, but the combat felt really repetitive out the gate. The different powers you can equip were fun though and I could potentially see swapping those out to make new "loadouts" being a pretty interesting way to keep things fresh.

The music video at the end was super cringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom