• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam & Max Save the World/Beyond Time and Space - Remastered Announce forPlayStation (Coming September 29)

Draugoth

Gold Member

Two classic Sam & Max games coming to PlayStation on September 29! Sam is a six-foot canine detective with a love of justice. Max is a hyperkinetic rabbity-thing with a taste for mayhem. Together, they're the Freelance Police—an irreverent comedy duo whose esoteric crime-fighting style has been entertaining comic book and video game fans for more than thirty years.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Aren't these the censored versions?
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sam-...red-coming-to-ps4-ps5.1640799/#post-266516970

yes

The only Sam and Max game I want remastered/remade is Hit The Road. The 2nd Sam and Max game I want is the cancelled sequel to that.
But there's no benefit to remastering Hit The Road. The pixel art and animation is superb, it would only be ruined by remaking. (Well, I'm sure they could give it the Day of the Tentacle style of makeover with original graphics included as an option, but I'd just play it in retro mode the whole time).

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Aren't these the censored versions?
I wouldn't call them censored exactly. They recast Bosco with a black actor (presumably out of concern that the white actor playing him before was racially insensitive) and in so doing made some minor changes to his lines in the first season. I don't think Season 2 had any changes to the dialog but it was likewise re-recorded with the new actor.

The couple of jokes that they changed really aren't a big deal, but I do have to say I don't like Bosco's new voice nearly as much. With that said they put a ton of work into these remasters and they are the best way to play these games overall despite that.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Bosco was a great character in the original, a fan favorite. It's such a trendy and idiotic thing to think that a voice actor can't portray a different race... that reaction is what ruined Apu on the The Simpsons, who was actually a wonderfully humanized character with plenty of depth, but everyone loses their mind when a minority has mildly stereotypical voice even though everyone in that show is a comedic caricature (the preacher, the policemen, etc etc).

I can't support any devs who think in this way.

But there's no benefit to remastering Hit The Road. The pixel art and animation is superb, it would only be ruined by remaking. (Well, I'm sure they could give it the Day of the Tentacle style of makeover with original graphics included as an option, but I'd just play it in retro mode the whole time).

Correct. Worked great for Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2, DOTT, Full Throttle, Grim Frandango. I need Hit the Road to get the same treatment.

The TellTale Sam & Max games are fantastic, especially Beyond Time & Space and The Devil's Playhouse. There's a Bosco restoration mod for Save The World on PC, so you can patch the old voice and lines back into the game. Unfortunately I don't think there's such a mod for Season 2 yet.

Of course I get not wanting to support the remasters for recasting Bosco at all, it was a trash decision.

Top Bottom