• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Sam and Max Series (telltale)

squid

Some spoilers ahead if you haven't played the series.

Two New York freelance police: a talking dog and rabbity-thing, (mis)representing the law, solving (or causing) problems, and bringing their own brand of "justice" to the neighbourhood. And along the way, encountering hilarious situations, demented npc's and ridiculous locations. Yep, it's Sam and Max.

I recently decided to go back through this point and click, comedy adventure series and have been reminded why I love it so much and how much I miss it! The absolute priority given to comedy, the more ridiculous the better, really defines the franchise. I can't think of any other series that has made me laugh more.

Even Season One, considered the lesser of the seasons by some, has some terrific episodes. Taking over the White House? Destroying the Internet? That's par for the course. Season Two ratchets up the crazy level, taking the series through from the North Pole to Hell itself and through time. I just love the ambition, the nothing's-too-ridiculous attitude.

In the 3rd season, it changed direction slightly, attempting to add a bit more of a cinematic, cohesive storyline (cohesive in a Sam and Max way) and tying the episodes together a bit more. This did however, make the season a little more serious and less happy-go-lucky, which I did miss a bit. I mean it's still ridiculous, it's just not the same type of the-developers-must-be-tripping-on-acid ridiculousness. Still really enjoyed it though, and it's probably a better made game mechanically (and definitely graphically). I really missed Bosco this season though :(

Another thing this series has going for it is the terrific (mostly jazzy) soundtrack. Always perfectly matches the situation, which is no easy task given how varied and crazy they can be.

It's been 6 years since the last Sam and Max game! 6 years! (read that in the soldier bug's voice) I think it's about time for another one. They seem to be more focused on currently popular TV licenses lately, but I really hope Telltale haven't completely forgotten about this great series, because it's really a breath of fresh air and always a hilarious, ridiculous time with this dog and lagomorph duo!

The Devil's Playhouse is one of my absolute favourite games of all time and all three seasons are near and dear to my heart.

Shame there's next to no chance of Season Four anymore. :(

jblank83

Season 3 hit highpoints in game design. The puzzles were thoughtful, intelligible, and fun. They were creative and thought provoking but also stayed away from classic "combine everything" adventure game logic. The story was also well written and funny.

IMO, it's the best Telltale game.

It's also the standard I hold every subsequent Telltale game up to. So far they've all failed to deliver gameplay as compelling as Sam and Max S3, all of them, including Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us. Borderlands came the closest, but even then the gameplay was extremely limited.

squid

Season 3 hit highpoints in game design. The puzzles were thoughtful, intelligible, and fun. They were creative and thought provoking but also stayed away from classic "combine everything" adventure game logic. The story was also well written and funny.

It's also the standard I hold every subsequent Telltale game up to. So far they've all failed to deliver gameplay as compelling as Sam and Max S3, all of them, including Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us. Borderlands came the closest, but even then the gameplay was extremely limited.
Season 3 did have the best, most creative puzzles of the series, agreed. I'm not sure which season I'd pick as my favourite, I love all 3.

The last 3 episode run of season one was terrific, Abe Lincoln Must Die is definitely one of my favourite S&M eps. The last two episodes in season 2 were both classics as well. And Penal Zone was a great start, but Tomb of Sammun-mak was probably my favourite season 3 episode, really cool locations and puzzle design.

And yes purseowner, I'm sad that Telltale seem to have forgotten about the series. Especially considering it was pretty much their main franchise in their early years. But I am glad and grateful that we managed to get 3 awesome seasons. Would love a season 4 someday, but don't see it happening anytime soon. I think a small project, or another spin off featuring them is about the best we could hope for :(

MadSexual

I've only played season 1 so far, but had a great time with it. I'll probably pick up the other two in one of the upcoming GOG sales.

Did anyone play the original game(s)? I assume that's worth going back to as well, yes?

Tizoc

I've only played season 1 so far, but had a great time with it. I'll probably pick up the other two in one of the upcoming GOG sales.

Did anyone play the original game(s)? I assume that's worth going back to as well, yes?

Absolutely.

As my introduction to TellTale I agree about Devils Playhouse. It has really colored my perception of TellTale how they refuse to return to Sam and Max or other playful/smaller IP and instead seemingly whore themselves and their shitty engine out to whatever big property comes knocking.

I also loved the series. The Devil's Playhouse feels like the perfect balance between Telltale's cinematic ambitions, and just excellent game and puzzle design.

It's what's made their transition to the new style sting even more. They had found the perfect balance, and then to just abandon it will always bum me out. Especially given how many people completely write off the pre-Walking Dead games.

vixlar

-She is the Queen of Canada
-I thought that was Rush

That, ladies and gentleman, is genius.

(I don't remember wich chapter it was, but it was fantastic)

Top Bottom