• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales wise can any game ever compete with GTA?

RayHell

The lowest the PS4 version of GTA V has ever been discounted in the playstation store is £12.99 according to psdeals.com. £12.99 is the full price of Minecraft. Don't know about other regions

Regardless, even ignoring price GTA V has sold more on pc+console than any game in history.
Minecraft price is 19.99£ not 12.99£ and this Gta price goes from 24.99£ to the 12.99£ all the time. Very far from the 60/70$ you were referring to at the beginning.

Mowcno

Minecraft price is 19.99£ not 12.99£ and this Gta price goes from 24.99£ to the 12.99£ all the time. Very far from the 60/70$ you were referring to at the beginning.
Sv7ZBac.jpg

pasterpl

Just here to say that I hate GtA since it went 3d while first gta’s in 2d were my favourite games years ago. Re. Minecraft I still think it is sh*t. Cannot understand popularity of either of these games.

Why does it have to be a $70 game? It's almost certain that most GTA V copies were sold for a fraction of that once they put their foot on the GaaS.
Because I don't care about them! Also we have alot of data on unit sales.

Comparing total revenue these games will make will be bit a trickier

Even so, does it mean anything as far as quality goes? I mean, Taylor Swift sells more albums than Ludwig van Beethoven.

I get GTA's popularity back during the PS2 days, even though I didn't really care for the games. But I recognized it was one of the first open/sandbox games out there, and benefitted from teenage edgelords and the general public wanting to be "mature". What did GTA4 and GTA5 do to warrant their popularity? The gameplay is clunky, the missions and minigames have always been weak, and it's no longer the leader in open world sandbox design. Is it simply goodwill from fans of the series that carries forward to the next entry, like Pokemon?
As far as GTA IV is concerned virtual tourism of a fictional New York with a banging soundtrack is cool. I would even say that a few missions in Ballad of Gay Tony DLC outdo anything they have ever done.

GTA V just sucks unless a friend group has a private session and is engaged in heists.

P.S. I personally think pool minigame in San Andreas was about as fun as these minigames can get in an open world.

Last edited:

amigastar

I'm happy people recognise the brilliance that GTA is. I'm a fan since the first one in 1997. Been a longlife fan since then.

RayHell

ro5NOpZ.jpg

And you are totally ignoring the fact that you pretend that all GTA V games were sold for 60/70$. Also there’s 110 millions more units of Minecraft sold than GTA. You initial argument that it cannot be compared because of the price doesn’t hold up since the majority of the sales were made in the same price range than Minecraft.

geary

GTA V reached the salea it has to to their shark bucks price strategy. Its cheaper to rebuy the game than buy shark buck on their on…

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Depends what we're talking about here. Initial game sales or money generated. Is the latter I think Fortnite easily wins.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
You can pretty much rule out any 1st party Xbox games because of GamePass. All of Sony's top-tier games sell well and are coming out on PC as well so they have the best shot. The next Last Of US has the best chance (unless God of War/Uncharted are bigger sellers). Nintendo is limited by exclusivity to switch only.

Woggleman

Very few can.

It is hard to explain what makes Rockstar games and especially GTA so appealing but they just have that Rockstar flavor that no other dev seems able to pull off. Also we need more open world games where you are not riding a horse everywhere. Urban open world games with cars need to make a comeback.

Wulfer

You don't have to personally like Minecraft. However, this game deserves the same respect that GTA does! It's not easy to make a game that kids and adults love to play and that deserves respect!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Your credentials you made dont even go for GTAV. that game has been below $10 for years if you counting every single sell. even so if you break it down to single platform only I doubt it beats alot of games that sold great on a single platform.

Last edited:

Kabelly

Sometimes you just want to run over someone without the consequences. No I don't think any other game really can compete. GTA 6 can look at minimum as good as Red Dead 2 and it would be one of the prettiest games ever so I think this game might just blow our minds a bit with the amount of money poured into it OR we're in for a rude awakening.

Quantum253

Maybe Skyrim. Since that game has been out for years on multiple systems. Or if No Man's Sky keeps putting out free updates

Edit:
I looked GTA V LTS: 190mil
Skyrm: 60mil
Nms: 10mil

So probably not topping over 200 mil. Nothing really comes close. Halo series lifetime is like 90 mil

Last edited:
Top Bottom