• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales wise can any game ever compete with GTA?

So rules are no Free to play and mobile games.

It has to be a traditional 70 dollar console and PC game. Service games count but they have to have an upfront cost.

Personally I don't think so the game with the best chance I think would be Witcher 4 but it's unlikely. Until this year I would have said Elder Scrolls 6 had a chance but yeah...

Call of Duty was arguably bigger than GTA until 5 released but I think that's past it's peak.

If you can't think of an actual game releasing make one up lol ( That could reasonably exist on Today's hardware.) I always thought a seamless really good open world Star Wars would be huge I don't know if Outriders is that game.

GO!

Flutta

Banned
No Way GIF

Only including mobile and if it was a full priced title as stated in OP I doubt it would get close to 185m. Thread is about if another $60/$70 console/pc game can come close to what GTA achieved.
I'am open too price being lower than 70 dollars but no free to play and mobile lol.

timothet

Only including mobile and if it was a full priced title as stated in OP I doubt it would get close to 185m. Thread is about if another $60/$70 console/pc game can come close to what GTA achieved.
Minecraft is currently sitting around 300M units sold, so even without mobile its sequel still would do incredibly well. Even as full-priced game.

Mowcno

Minecraft is currently sitting around 300M units sold, so even without mobile its sequel still would do incredibly well. Even as full-priced game.
Back in 2021 (the latest figures I could find that gave mobile specifically) the platform splits were this: 133m copies sold on mobile, 105m copies sold on PC+Consoles.

2021 sales specifically were 20m mobile, 18m PC+Console so mobile was still outpacing them.

So with the latest 300m figure it's likely Console+PC sales for Minecraft are in the 130-140m range and the remaining 160-170m on mobile. I would be surprised if a potential Minecraft 2 is bigger than the original.

TBH if they keep selling the original Minecraft it'll eventually pass GTA V, but it'll take a few years yet. The final GTA V total will be 190-200m probably.

Last edited:
Back in 2021 (the latest figures I could find that gave mobile specifically) the platform splits were this: 133m copies sold on mobile, 105m copies sold on PC+Consoles.

2021 sales specifically were 20m mobile, 18m PC+Console so mobile was still outpacing them.

So with the latest 300m figure it's likely Console+PC sales for Minecraft are in the 130-140m range and the remaining 160-170m on mobile. I would be surprised if a potential Minecraft 2 is bigger than the original.

TBH if they keep selling the original Minecraft it'll eventually pass GTA V, but it'll take a few years yet. The final GTA V total will be 190-200m probably.
You think GTA6 will cut the legs off 5?

Ronin_7

Banned

GTA V will probably be above 200M by January 2024.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nah. Rockstar also used the genius tactic of bundling new copies of GTA with Shark Cards, making buying a new game the cheapest way to get them. This is why the game is at almost 200M copies sold but you don't even see 1% of that playing online.

Last edited:

Mowcno

GTA V will probably be above 200M by January 2024.
Didn't realise they had announced 190m already but still shouldn't be above 200m. Last year they announced 175m in Nov and 180m in Feb of this year. They announced 190m in Nov so unless sales double it'll be 195m announced next. They basically sell 5m every 4 months or so at the moment.

So yeah it could be at 210m by next holiday.

timothet

Can you provide link for those 2021 numbers? I only found some older numbers that favored non-mobile version.
TBH now that I think about it, Minecraft 2 wouldn't move as much units by the sole fact that it would probably be available on gamepass Day1.

You mentioned The Witcher but I really doubt that it would do anything close to GTA numbers. Witcher 3 sold "only" 50M and 2077 fiasco did cost CDPR a lot of goodwill.

Mowcno

Can you provide link for those 2021 numbers? I only found some older numbers that favored non-mobile version.
TBH now that I think about it, Minecraft 2 wouldn't move as much units by the sole fact that it would probably be available on gamepass Day1.

You mentioned The Witcher but I really doubt that it would do anything close to GTA numbers. Witcher 3 sold "only" 50M and 2077 fiasco did cost CDPR a lot of goodwill.
No Witcher won't do close to GTA I just mentioned it and mario Kart as they're the highest selling full priced titles I know of other than GTA V.

There's some Minecraft sales data here: https://prioridata.com/data/minecraft-statistics/

Mowcno

You think GTA6 will cut the legs off 5?
I think most people that are buying GTA this many years later are for GTA Online. So if a new "GTA Online" is coming tied to GTA VI instead then yeah I think GTA V sales will drop quick.

Though I guess there is a chance that the next iteration of GTA Online based on the new map and the GTA VI engine won't be available from launch which could give V some more time to keep selling.

lordrand11

So far that I can tell, the mobile space only accounts for around >7,500,000 copies. Between PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, Xbone, Switch, PS5, SX, and 3DS It's still sold more than 103 million more than GTA V

Success

It would take an insane cultural shift and some VR/AR/4D gaming experience filled with controversy and joy to ever beat GTA sales numbers.

Mowcno

So far that I can tell, the mobile space only accounts for around >7,500,000 copies. Between PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, Xbone, Switch, PS5, SX, and 3DS It's still sold more than 103 million more than GTA V
Nope. Minecraft is bigger on mobile than all other platforms combined. Not sure where you looked to only get 7.5m.

It had sold over 21m on mobile back in 2014. https://venturebeat.com/games/minec...lion-in-sales-far-more-than-on-pc-or-console/

By the end of 2021 it had sold 238m copies in total, 133m on mobile and 105m on non-mobile platforms.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to whether GTA VI is even going to be able to compete with GTA V. It's hard to capture lightning twice.
It is not lightning, but online co-op in the mainstream. Fortnite will probably be eating GTA VI's lunch.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So rules are no Free to play and mobile games.

It has to be a traditional 70 dollar console and PC game. Service games count but they have to have an upfront cost.

Personally I don't think so the game with the best chance I think would be Witcher 4 but it's unlikely. Until this year I would have said Elder Scrolls 6 had a chance but yeah...

Call of Duty was arguably bigger than GTA until 5 released but I think that's past it's peak.

If you can't think of an actual game releasing make one up lol ( That could reasonably exist on Today's hardware.) I always thought a seamless really good open world Star Wars would be huge I don't know if Outriders is that game.

GO!
Why does it have to be a $70 game? It's almost certain that most GTA V copies were sold for a fraction of that once they put their foot on the GaaS.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It is not lightning, but online co-op in the mainstream. Fortnite will probably be eating GTA VI's lunch.
Is Rockstar going to deliver an online experience for VI that can pull mainstream people in like the one in V has? That's the lightning. Something about V has captivated people. Are people going to have to give up what they built in V in a move to VI? Is Rockstar going to shut down V to get people to move to VI? Or somehow link them?

Rockstar could very easily mess this up.

Ronin_7

Banned
Didn't realise they had announced 190m already but still shouldn't be above 200m. Last year they announced 175m in Nov and 180m in Feb of this year. They announced 190m in Nov so unless sales double it'll be 195m announced next. They basically sell 5m every 4 months or so at the moment.

It was 190M Last Q, this Q is holidays which shouldn't boost sales.

Red5

Hmmm I always thought Fifa sold more than GTA. Shop I worked at Fifa topped demands, then COD then GTA in 3rd place.

Chastten

Banned
Nothing can, unless you count stuff like Minecraft.

We're talking about a game that extremely populair by both casuals as well as more traditional hardcore gamers, to the point that a lot of them purchased the same game during 3 different generations. I mean, I'm not even sure GTA6 will be able to replicate that success, since 4 and before didn't manage it either.

GTA5 might just be lightning in a bottle, much like Skyrim was. Whatever the sequel to that is gonna be, it's not going to sell as well as Skyrim has.

I get GTA's popularity back during the PS2 days, even though I didn't really care for the games. But I recognized it was one of the first open/sandbox games out there, and benefitted from teenage edgelords and the general public wanting to be "mature". What did GTA4 and GTA5 do to warrant their popularity? The gameplay is clunky, the missions and minigames have always been weak, and it's no longer the leader in open world sandbox design. Is it simply goodwill from fans of the series that carries forward to the next entry, like Pokemon?

RayHell

I didn’t see GTA V full price for a long time. It’s been dirt cheap for years now. Lower than Minecraft price. And a lot of the sales are to get shark cash cards for cheap for online.

Mowcno

I get GTA's popularity back during the PS2 days, even though I didn't really care for the games. But I recognized it was one of the first open/sandbox games out there, and benefitted from teenage edgelords and the general public wanting to be "mature". What did GTA4 and GTA5 do to warrant their popularity? The gameplay is clunky, the missions and minigames have always been weak, and it's no longer the leader in open world sandbox design. Is it simply goodwill from fans of the series that carries forward to the next entry, like Pokemon?
Definitely not goodwill. That doesn't make any sense when GTA IV sold 25m. GTA V passed 190m so the vast majority of GTA V players are new to the series.

Minecraft 2. Minecraft moved more units than GTAV, so sequel would be good guess here.

Minecraft 2 will likely go F2P so in effect it'll "sell" 0 copies.

The GTA6 trailer could bump sales for GTA5 as it will make some people who haven't jumped in yet, pick up the current game before the next one comes out.

Hard to imagine how many still want to buy GTA5 who've yet to do so, but I'm sure some of those people exist.

We're talking about a game that extremely populair by both casuals as well as more traditional hardcore gamers, to the point that a lot of them purchased the same game during 3 different generations. I mean, I'm not even sure GTA6 will be able to replicate that success, since 4 and before didn't manage it either.

GTA5 might just be lightning in a bottle, much like Skyrim was. Whatever the sequel to that is gonna be, it's not going to sell as well as Skyrim has.

There's a real possibility GTA6 doesn't outsell GTA5, because even tho the GTA games since 3 have sold very well, GTA5 is an anomaly in HOW well it's sold compared to even them. Some of that might've been down to market factors. Releasing the game across three generations of consoles also doesn't hurt.

Also I get the feeling Take Two are going to prioritize revenue this time around, so not only is the game releasing for $70, but I doubt it goes on sale nearly as often as GTA5 did. That said, I can easily see GTA6 pushing at least 100 - 125 million copies between this and next gen, and make about as much if not more revenue than they did with GTA5 while doing so.

Last edited:

Mowcno

I didn’t see GTA V full price for a long time. It’s been dirt cheap for years now. Lower than Minecraft price. And a lot of the sales are to get shark cash cards for cheap for online.
The lowest the PS4 version of GTA V has ever been discounted in the playstation store is £12.99 according to psdeals.com. £12.99 is the full price of Minecraft. Don't know about other regions

Regardless, even ignoring price GTA V has sold more on pc+console than any game in history.

lordrand11

Nope. Minecraft is bigger on mobile than all other platforms combined. Not sure where you looked to only get 7.5m.

It had sold over 21m on mobile back in 2014. https://venturebeat.com/games/minec...lion-in-sales-far-more-than-on-pc-or-console/

By the end of 2021 it had sold 238m copies in total, 133m on mobile and 105m on non-mobile platforms.

You are correct, I was looking at older sales data, this sales data link puts it far forward than GTA V right now.

Mowcno

You are correct, I was looking at older sales data, this sales data link puts it far forward than GTA V right now.

Yes including mobile Minecraft is ahead of GTA V, not including mobile it is not.

Minecraft Mobile (2021) = 133m
Minecraft all platforms (2023) = 300m

Take away mobile sales from the 300m and you get the PC+Console sales. Taking into account the extra sales mobile would have got over the past 2 years Minecraft on PC+Console will be at around 135-145m sales. Over 40m behind GTA V

Minecraft Sales as of October 2023 are most likely:

Mobile: 155-165m
PC+Console: 135-145m

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Franchise or single title ?

Single title I think only GTA can top GTA. Franchise though I imagine CoD has more doesn’t it ? Or fifa ?

Thaimasker

4 and before didn't have online. That changed everything really. 5 definitely doesn't sell this much without online. ALSO gaming in general is A LOT bigger now than it was back then. Hell, it's a lot bigger than when 5 came out.
Someone can write a thesis as to why, but No game does GTA better than GTA. It's not about wanting to be mature, but messing around in a realistic open world sandbox.
The writing isn't as good as RDR2 but it and it's humor is very enjoyable for a lot of people. Some people on this forum are panicking over a writer leaving lol.
You can say something like BOTW has a better sandbox design but it obviously doesn't offer the same excitement GTA does.

Last edited:
Definitely not goodwill. That doesn't make any sense when GTA IV sold 25m. GTA V passed 190m so the vast majority of GTA V players are new to the series.

Don't forget about the shark cards thing. A lot of the GTA V sales were just to get shark cards.

Last edited:

Thaimasker

Also, GTA4 only sold around 28 million copies. In line with other GTA's...whereas 5 sold 190 million.

Dynasty8

According to Square Enix, all of their games should sell as much as GTA otherwise it's a failure.

Realistically, I don't think there is any other physical retail game that can compete. If you take the top 5 or 6 best selling Call of Duty games and combine their sales....it's still less than GTA5's sales. That's absolutely fucking mad.

Top Bottom