• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryota Suzuki, former Capcom designer, is working on 3rd Development Division's AAA project at Square Enix

Bullet Club

Ryota Suzuki, former Capcom designer, works on project at Square Enix

Ryota Suzuki, a designer who worked at Capcom on projects like Devil May Cry 5 and Dragon’s Dogma, is at Square Enix as the battle director for a new AAA title in Square Enix’s 3rd Business Development Division.

This division is the same as that of Naoki Yoshida, from Final Fantasy XIV, who is working on a new AAA project (including, Yoshida said that he is not the director of Final Fantasy XVI recently).

That said, whether an FFXVI or not, everything indicates that the AAA project in progress will be action. Below is a summary of the games that Ryota Suzuki worked on.

Source: PSX Brazil

YukiOnna

Did they nab everyone from Capcom during that FFVIIR hiring spree? the MonHun World designer was behind the battle system of FFVIIR as an example.

D.Final

Banned

Ryota Suzuki, former Capcom designer, works on project at Square Enix

Ryota Suzuki, a designer who worked at Capcom on projects like Devil May Cry 5 and Dragon’s Dogma, is at Square Enix as the battle director for a new AAA title in Square Enix’s 3rd Business Development Division.

This division is the same as that of Naoki Yoshida, from Final Fantasy XIV, who is working on a new AAA project (including, Yoshida said that he is not the director of Final Fantasy XVI recently).

That said, whether an FFXVI or not, everything indicates that the AAA project in progress will be action. Below is a summary of the games that Ryota Suzuki worked on.

Source: PSX Brazil

Really interesting info.

So, maybe we can expecting some more info about the project soon.
(and I hope for a FFXVI announcement during the Summer Game Fest)

Kumomeme

im perfectly fine if the game end up not as a final fantasy game, but as a dragons dogma clone instead

but be it ffxvi or not, if anyone worry the game might goes full action combat, like others said above, Teruki Endo, who incharge of combat in viir also former capcom developers who involved with mhw

im not suprise if we end up with another unique hybrid combat system

Last edited:

yurinka

He has been one of the designers in many great fighting and action Capcom games during 20 years, and now he will be battle director on a Square game. So he'll be in charge of combat related gameplay design, not about directing a game.

Kumomeme

here is fans translation for the interview (the one of person who actively translating VIIR Utimania on twitter)...there is interesting take about 'old' command based vs 'new' action based combat and highlighted probably one of the reason why the command system exist that later lead square decision moving to action.

and from this interview it kind of hinted that they want to create a system that would appeal to both veteran and new youngers gamers...probably another hybrid system that blend command and action combat like FFVIIR?

.. and we aim to create games that will appeal to both, not just on or the other. That's the most important things.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
here is fans translation for the interview (the one of person who actively translating VIIR Utimania on twitter)...there is interesting take about 'old' command based vs 'new' action based combat and probably one of the reason why square moving to action.

and from this interview it kind of hinted that they want to create a system that would appeal to both veteran and new youngers gamers...probably another hybrid system that blend command and action combat like FFVIIR?

I enjoyed FFVII Remake's battle system for the most part, although I feel Square Enix's need to appeal to both crowds is detrimental.
With these hybrid systems, they can't ever truly explore pure action elements, neither pure strategic elements. It's more like a watered down version of both.

After FF XV and FF VII Remake there's certainly room for innovation with hybrid systems, although I want to see them become much more ambitious with the design.
I would love to have to more environmental and conditional factors play into combat. Things like environmental destruction that causes dynamic shift in the landscape, more physics based magic spells. smarter enemy AI that also takes advantage of those shifting battle conditions as the player, etc.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I enjoyed FFVII Remake's battle system for the most part, although I feel Square Enix's need to appeal to both crowds is detrimental.
With these hybrid systems, they can't ever truly explore pure action elements, neither pure strategic elements. It's more like a watered down version of both.

After FF XV and FF VII Remake there's certainly room for innovation with hybrid systems, although I want to see them become much more ambitious with the design.
I would love to have to more environmental and conditional factors play into combat. Things like environmental destruction that causes dynamic shift in the landscape, more physics based magic spells. smarter enemy AI that also takes advantage of those battle conditions as the player, etc.
i believe the hybrid approach might be square foundation onward, with VIIR might set the minimum bar.

'our' father of FF Sakaguchi actually already attempted with this kind of action with command hybrid combat with The Last Story where he hope the system will replace old turn based as new standard combat system in future, which is didnt happened..the combat actually has auto attack where player didnt have to press button to hit enemy, which is just enough to get closer to monster and there no character switching but there is giving command mechanic..the system also, has environmental destruction utilization that use the protagonist's crossbow.

Im not suprise if they indeed take advantage of environment as there is gameplay element and skills in Dragons Dogma that utilize those aspect assuming this guy take his previous experience working with rpg into this game.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Im not suprise if they indeed take advantage of environment as there is gameplay element and skills in Dragons Dogma that utilize those aspect assuming this guy take his previous experience working with rpg into this game.
I sure hope so.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Square Enix fans should be fine with them hiring a big developer like Ryota Suzuki.

Top Bottom