• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia Considers Returning Snowden to U.S. to ‘Curry Favor’ With Trump: Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
I'd probably believe in him had he not ran. That would've been heroic
image.php

I don't see it either... I'd probably believe in him had he not ran. That would've been heroic, even if you disagree with what he did.

But he ran to China and ended up taking asylum in Russia of all places in the name of whistleblowing.
Yeah I agree he should have stayed and get rightfully fucked by the noble USA USA USA!! Justice system

It's so weird, the one thing uniting America is that they all want dead someone who tries or has tried to make America a better place.

numble

I have no idea because the Courts have no idea. We've yet to resolve the issue of Third Party Doctrine from Smith v. Maryland, a holdover from the 70's that allows for this type of collection in the first place. The Court last hinted at some shift towards the idea in U.S. v. Jones, but they've yet to decide a case that deals directly with the issue and thus overturn Smith. As towards the EPA, last I checked the EPA's authorizing statute doesn't give it any authority to conduct an intelligence related activities. The NSA, however, does.

The courts are clear that executive agencies cannot overstep their authority. You are misreading Smith v. Jones, which does not talk about the legality of an executive agency doing something not authorized by Congress. Smith v. Jones doesn't even involve an executive agency.
US v. Jones did not involve a statutory challenge.

The 2nd Circuit ruled that Congress did not authorize the bulk metadata collection program under the statutory authority claimed by the government and that the Freedom Act specifically prohibits such a program. You actually are claiming that an executive branch can have programs that Congress do not authorize or specifically prohibit. That is executive overreach.

Courts rule on whether Congress have authorized executive agencies to conduct certain activities all the time. There is no merit to your claim that when a court finds that Congress had not authorized certain activities, or if a court finds that Congress had prohibited certain activities, that the executive branch still has authorization to engage in the activities.

The 2nd Circuit specifically said it was prohibited:
Section 103 of the Freedom Act, titled “Prohibition on Bulk Collection of Tangible Things,” states that “[n]o order issued under this subsection may authorize the collection of tangible things without the use of a specific selection term” that meets certain requirements.  Id.  The purpose of § 103 is to “make[] clear that the government may not engage in indiscriminate bulk collection of any tangible thing or any type of record.”  H.R. Rep. No. 114‐109, pt. 1, at 18 (2015). 

The Freedom Act also prohibited the use of pen registers for bulk collection:
H.R. Rep. No. 114‐109, at 21 (“[Section 201] prohibits the use of the pen register and trap and trace device authority for bulk collection by requiring each application under this section to include a specific selection term as the basis for the use of a pen register or trap and trace device.”).

Breakage

What has happened since Snowden's surveillance disclosures? The public now know about a bunch of NSA oddly-named surveillance programs and what has changed? Did people naively think that organisations like the NSA wern't running operations like the ones that were leaked? There's a reason why they have a very high annual electricity bill. Haven't you guys seen "Enemy of the State"? What has his whistleblowing accomplished apart from warning terrorists and criminals that they need to be more cautious?

I am so fucking depressed reading some of the reactions here.

GAF hates every fiber of Trump’s being, yet some of you are fine with Snowden's life being in the psycho's small hands? "Dude played himself" because he didn't like Clinton, so now it's his own fault if he's executed for treason? And so this handover would be some sort of poetic justice?

I just can't. I'm disgusted by you fucking clowns. I don't care if I get banned for saying this. You call him Putin's lapdog like he's Julian Assange? I can only think that none of you know who Snowden is or what he did. And even if this was about Assange, who is some disingenuous motherfucker - who in his right mind could be cynical enough to respond to reports of his possible execution with "LOL, dude thought he was so smart"? How removed from reality, from basic human compassion, are you?

Snowden chose to give up all he had for the public good. He didn't have to. Any other motivations for what he did exist only in the imagination of his enemies. It's really very clear why he did what he did. He is a hero whose actions most of us can only aspire to, and our generation will be judged harshly on how we responded to the blatant heroism of people like Snowden.

WTF is wrong with the US if even liberals won't stand up for Edward Snowden? You are terrible people and as far as I'm concerned you deserve all Trump will do to your fucking shitstain of a country.

Except you don't, just like Snowden does not deserve to be in jail.

Thank you.

Breakage

That's on the US; not on Snowden. He threw his life away in the hopes people would care.

The truth is the average citizen doesn't care if they are being watched by the likes of the NSA and GCHQ He wasted his time. The popularity of Facebook suggests that people are all too happy to give their information away these days in order to be a part of the digital society. The only people who care about his leaks are privacy advocates and computer security geeks.

benjipwns

Banned
What has his whistleblowing accomplished apart from warning terrorists and criminals that they need to be more cautious?
Yeah, I'm sure this is how they found out they might be being spied on. Not when thousands of their fellow travelers (or random males in the same geographic area) were rounded up and stuck in a questionably leased military base for a few years or more.

Not the hundreds of domestic criminal trials. Not all the television shows glorifying it.

"Holy crap! Did you see this Snowden stuff?!? Stay safe GAF."

samn

Snowden hid from trial because he wanted hero worship and allowed himself to be a tool for anti-American propaganda by Putin. Had he stayed and faced justice he likely would already be a free man (Or would be shortly from now) as signaled by Obama's Manning decision. He fucked up and overplayed his hand and has no one to blame but himself.

Manning was tortured with sleep deprivation and has been driven to attempted suicide.

I'm not sure how Snowden was meant to have foreseen the commutation of Manning's sentence.

What has happened since Snowden's surveillance disclosures? The public now know about a bunch of NSA oddly-named surveillance programs and what has changed? Did people naively think that organisations like the NSA wern't running operations like the ones that were leaked? There's a reason why they have a very high annual electricity bill. Haven't you guys seen "Enemy of the State"? What has his whistleblowing accomplished apart from warning terrorists and criminals that they need to be more cautious?

Prior to the Snowden leaks, various lawsuits from the ACLU and others were dismissed for lack of standing:

"They cannot establish they are 'aggrieved persons,'" wrote Judge Alice Batchelder, of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/06/court.domestic.spying/index.html?iref=nextin

After the Snowden leaks, these lawsuits could be heard, the ACLU won the lawsuit, which led to reforms to the 215 bulk metadata program:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-fre...urt-victory-against-mass-surveillance-matters

Also, this logic of "were you really that naive" is a total apology for the state. I've seen this trajectory so many times now since 9/11. First, the government does some shit. Then the press reports on it using leaks. The government continues to deny it. More reporting proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Now government apologists say "everybody knew this already it's not shocking".

You can see this with the drone war, the bulk NSA surveillance, the DNC/Podesta emails, and it's ongoing with the underreported cyber war programs. The US government still denies involvement in Stuxnet, for example.

Breakage

Yeah, I'm sure this is how they found out they might be being spied on. Not when thousands of their fellow travelers (or random males in the same geographic area) were rounded up and stuck in a questionably leased military base for a few years or more.

What I mean is this gives them a more detailed picture of the methods used eg intercepting laptops in transit to plant a "tool". Snowden just gave America's enemies more information - those are the people who have benefitted from these leaks - not the average citizen.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm not sure how Snowden was meant to have foreseen the commutation of Manning's sentence.
He should have known that the man who claimed authority to murder American citizens without due process is totally cool and would have his back and he had no reason to fear just like Aaron Swartz.

samn

What I mean is this gives them a more detailed picture of the methods used eg intercepting laptops in transit to plant a "tool". Snowden just gave America's enemies more information - those are the people who have benefitted from these leaks - not the average citizen.

You can plant bugs on laptops used by terrorists and by non-terrorists. Google and Apple have been examining their server equipment more closely to protect their users from government snooping.

He should have known that the man who claimed authority to murder American citizens without due process is totally cool and would have his back and he had no reason to fear just like Aaron Swartz.

Jeez, every time I'm reminded of Aaron Schwartz my blood boils. We need a fucking revolution in this country.

Breakage

Prior to the Snowden leaks, various lawsuits from the ACLU and others were dismissed for lack of standing:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/06/court.domestic.spying/index.html?iref=nextin

After the Snowden leaks, these lawsuits could be heard, the ACLU won the lawsuit, which led to reforms to the 215 bulk metadata program:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-fre...urt-victory-against-mass-surveillance-matters

Also, this logic of "were you really that naive" is a total apology for the state. I've seen this trajectory so many times now since 9/11. First, the government does some shit. Then the press reports on it using leaks. The government continues to deny it. More reporting proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Now government apologists say "everybody knew this already it's not shocking".

You can see this with the drone war, the bulk NSA surveillance, the DNC/Podesta emails, and it's ongoing with the underreported cyber war programs. The US government still denies involvement in Stuxnet, for example.

Yeah, but the technology exists. There is no way of truly knowing that something has been shutdown completely even after it has been exposed. My point is, the NSA could say that they will shut everything down tomorrow and you still couldn't be sure that they aren't running some secret black project in a remote location that allows them to continue with their operations.

Breakage

You can plant bugs on laptops used by terrorists and by non-terrorists. Google and Apple have been examining their server equipment more closely to protect their users from government snooping.

Yeah, perhaps, the security conscious and those in the tech industry will be more cautious. But the average Joe or Jane ordering a Dell laptop from Amazon isn't going to care even if they are aware of these leaks. A lot of apps on smartphones slurp data and track locations yet so many people do not disable such features. Why would they care about the NSA spying on them when they are willingly giving away their data?

Edit: damn double post

samn

Yeah, the security conscious and those in the tech industry willbe more cautious. But the average Joe or Jane ordering a Dell laptop from Amazon isn't going to care even if they are aware of these leaks. A lot of apps on smartphones slurp data and track locations yet so many people do not disable such features. Why would they care about the NSA spying on them when they are willingly giving away their data?

They don't have to spy on normal people directly to affect their lives. They just need to spy on political figures. Most black people weren't spied on by the FBI - but MLK was.

Apps and websites that track personal data ought to keep that data safe and use it very narrowly for specific and stated purposes, then delete it once it is no longer needed (see Data Protection Act in Europe). It should not be made available to governments without due process. Before Snowden's leaks we did not know that the government was able to bypass due process to such an extent.

Yeah, but the technology exists. There is no way of truly knowing that something has been shutdown completely even after it has been exposed. My point is, the NSA could say that they will shut everything down tomorrow and you still couldn't be sure that they aren't running some secret black project in a remote location that allows them to continue with their operations.

This demonstrates why it's important not to prosecute and torture whistleblowers.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
One more lesson in this life... never trust the Russian government.

I mean, he's clearly learning this lesson after he learned his lesson to not trust the American Government.

"He should've just stayed! Obama probably would've taken him out for a beer and pardoned him!"

Nokterian

Jeez, every time I'm reminded of Aaron Schwartz my blood boils. We need a fucking revolution in this country.

Poor kid he did not deserved it and the only way out was killing him self :( he did amazing things and yet you're american system on be it hackers or whistleblowers is terrible.

CrunchyB

Snowden had a cushy job before he decided to risk everything. His biggest mistake was trusting in the decency and integrity of the American government and it's people.

Truthbomb

slit

That would have never happened! Before Trump, we had a bunch of fucking canonized saints running the country.

Oersted

The truth is the average citizen doesn't care if they are being watched by the likes of the NSA and GCHQ He wasted his time. The popularity of Facebook suggests that people are all too happy to give their information away these days in order to be a part of the digital society. The only people who care about his leaks are privacy advocates and computer security geeks.

That is just a lie. More people than ever care about data security and became aware of their insecurity. Of course, some are fine with it. Some are fine with racism and sexism. People were fine with living under fascist regimes.

But that should noone stop to go against it.

I don't see it either... I'd probably believe in him had he not ran. That would've been heroic, even if you disagree with what he did.

But he ran to China and ended up taking asylum in Russia of all places in the name of whistleblowing.

I don't expect you to know that, but China and Hong Kong are a bit different.

For a little context, it was Clinton surrogate Mike Morrell who originally suggested Russia hand over Snowden to the Trump administration. The Russian response stands in sharp contrast to the statements of US officials:

These are the "good guys" in US politics. A bunch of fucking reptiles in my book.

Nope, clearly Putin got the idea from my post

Putin turning over Snowden to Trump was such an obvious move that just about anyone with knowledge of the situation could see it coming

Abelard

I don't think Hillary supporters can nag about anyone for "purity tests" anymore, because now we know failing the "anyone who slanders the Queen should get fucked" test means you are collateral damage at best, and deserve whatever horrible things happen to you at worst.

I don't think Hillary supporters can nag about anyone for "purity tests" anymore, because now we know failing the "anyone who slanders the Queen should get fucked" test means you are collateral damage at best, and deserve whatever horrible things happen to you at worst.

yeah it's disappointing to see

(i say this as someone who would've supported hillary were i american btw)

While I like what Snowden did, because it helped tell us a lot about our spy agencies, I would have rather faced trial under Obama than to settle in Russia. Of all places Russia would be somewhere at the bottom of a list. It's a card for Putin play and he will play it if he has to. Now he is in a worse position than he can realize.

Unless he became a useful idiot for Putin after he was granted asylum, then I can see Putin urging Trump to pardon him. Because Trump has some weird thing with Putin going on that we dont yet know about.

rambis

Banned
That is just a lie. More people than ever care about data security and became aware of their insecurity. Of course, some are fine with it. Some are fine with racism and sexism. People were fine with living under fascist regimes.

But that should noone stop to go against it.

I don't expect you to know that, but China and Hong Kong are a bit different.
Not alot of people care. The amount of people who think Snowden is a hero or should be pardoned is even lower than Trumps approval ratings. Honestly with the stuff you see from Hollywood and such, im fairly sure most people could imagine that bodies like the CIA and NSA frequently spied and eavedropped on people. Anybody familar with privacy laws might have been shocked and offended but how many people do you think that is realistically?

Oersted

Not alot of people care. The amount of people who think Snowden is a hero or should be pardoned is even lower than Trumps approval ratings. Honestly with the stuff you see from Hollywood and such, im fairly sure most people could imagine that bodies like the CIA and NSA frequently spied and eavedropped on people. Anybody familar with privacy laws might have been shocked and offended but how many people do you think that is realistically?

That post tells me you are unaware of the world outside of the US. And that you like asspulls.

rambis

Banned
That post tells me you are unaware of the world outside of the US. And that you like asspulls.
What does this post even mean? I lived over half my life in Europe and the Middle East.

There may be other places where he is favored but in America most people didnt seem to be phased much by his revelations. Im not pulling that out of my ass...

antonz

Some interesting timing this weekend. Just as Trump heads down to Mar-A-Lago a Russian Oligarch who has had personal dealings with Trump suddenly arrives in the area.

Seems harmless but consider this. Multiple times throughout the Campaign the plane this Russian Oligarch owns showed up at Campaign stops such as in Vegas and New Hampshire. This particular Oligarch Paid trump 100 million dollars for a House Trump bought for 40 million. Never once set foot in the house and in fact intends to tear it down.

People here are saying this is good. A man who made everyone see some of the horrible illegal as fuck shit the US government does behind closed doors. Explain yourselves, if you can.

Because in my years of reading GAF, it seems to me that many Americans on this forum don't actually believe that the US Government, especially the Obama administration would do anything depraved or immoral. When stories like this get the response they get or you get a load of people shouting down similar stories as conspiracy then it tells you all you need to know.

Because in my years of reading GAF, it seems to me that many Americans on this forum don't actually believe that the US Government, especially the Obama administration would do anything depraved or immoral. When stories like this get the response they get or you get a load of people shouting down similar stories as conspiracy then it tells you all you need to know.

We have also people on GAF who defend Obama's liberal use of drone strikes.

Bunch of hypocrites.

GhostBed

Some interesting timing this weekend. Just as Drumpf heads down to Mar-A-Lago a Russian Oligarch who has had personal dealings with Drumpf suddenly arrives in the area.

Seems harmless but consider this. Multiple times throughout the Campaign the plane this Russian Oligarch owns showed up at Campaign stops such as in Vegas and New Hampshire. This particular Oligarch Paid trump 100 million dollars for a House Drumpf bought for 40 million. Never once set foot in the house and in fact intends to tear it down.

Source?

Vector

Banned
When he started divulging information that compromised american lives overseas and sold it to Russia, he was -beyond any doubt- committing treason and he should be tried for those crimes.

Also, he won't be the first Trump supporter to get bitten by his favorite fascist :D

When he started divulging information that compromised american lives overseas and sold it to Russia, he was -beyond any doubt- committing treason and he should be tried for those crimes.

Also, he won't be the first Trump supporter to get bitten by his favorite fascist :D

He wasn't anywhere close to a Trump supporter come on.

Avixph

Some interesting timing this weekend. Just as Trump heads down to Mar-A-Lago a Russian Oligarch who has had personal dealings with Trump suddenly arrives in the area.

Seems harmless but consider this. Multiple times throughout the Campaign the plane this Russian Oligarch owns showed up at Campaign stops such as in Vegas and New Hampshire. This particular Oligarch Paid trump 100 million dollars for a House Trump bought for 40 million. Never once set foot in the house and in fact intends to tear it down.
Very interesting if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom