• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rurouni Kenshin is back baby! New live action movies "The Final" & "The Beginning" with the original cast coming to Netflix starting June 18

Boss Mog

As far as live action anime movies go, the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy from 2012-2014 stands at the top. 7 years later the entire cast returns for Kenshin's final arc: the "Revenge" arc which will be told through 2 films. ONE OK ROCK also return to provide songs for the soundtracks of both movies. "The Final" hits Netflix June 18th, "The Beginning" will most like follow in July or August.

Rurouni Kenshin: The Final trailer:

Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning trailer:

I was browsing Netflix and saw The Final in the "Coming Next Week" section and I was like wtf is this, did they rename the third movie in the original trilogy, but then where are the others. I also found it odd that it had the Netflix original content "N" on its panel. And then it hit me, this is a new movie so many years after the last one. I couldn't believe it and I'm super psyched. The original cast is all there and they haven't aged a day. Fuck, I can't wait for this. Netflix has so much woke bullshit these days but every now and then they come up with stuff like this that makes me stay subbed. Any other Kenshin fans excited?

Pejo

Gold Member
I wonder how they're going to show him mentally switching from Kenshin to Battousai the Manslayer. It was very easy in the anime due to changing the art style, but who knows if the actor is going to be able to pull that off. It does look suitably dark though, this could be pretty good.

Regardless, this looks better than most of the Netflix "socially progressive" live action shlock. I'll give it a watch. I hope they throw this in as an easter egg at the end of the credits:

mortal

Gold Member
Might give it a watch eventually. Never really been too keen on these live action Ruroni Kenshin adaptions, or any other of these other live action Japanese anime adaptations tbh.

The Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal + Reflection OVAs were peak Kenshin for me, even more so than the 1990's series.

25c799c4d02c70b1475adb8b212628606fb7d3fd.gifv

cc22629b504392a123d86d96bd8201b9.gif

Last edited:

Tschumi

Always really funny when i see established stars, like the kind you see in variety shows, basically putting on wigs to get into character lol

Also, living in Japan, it's a bit regrettable to see that they are responding to how much they love korean dramas these days by having all their idols made up like kpop stars.. Japanese styling is equally cool, if not moreso!

Reminds me i still intend to play these games/watch this anime/whatever

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Might give it a watch eventually. Never really been too keen on these live action Ruroni Kenshin adaptions, or any other of these other live action Japanese anime adaptations tbh.

The Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal + Reflection OVAs were peak Kenshin for me, even more so than the 1990's series.
Trust and Betrayal were amazing but I can't say I liked Reflection. It might've been a realistic end for Kenshin, but it was too sad and depressing for my taste after having invested so much in the series.

I wonder how they're going to show him mentally switching from Kenshin to Battousai the Manslayer. It was very easy in the anime due to changing the art style, but who knows if the actor is going to be able to pull that off. It does look suitably dark though, this could be pretty good.

Regardless, this looks better than most of the Netflix "socially progressive" live action shlock. I'll give it a watch. I hope they throw this in as an easter egg at the end of the credits:
He pulled it off in the original trilogy:

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
What is going on here, it looks like boyband singers in some weird epic fantasy with some weird soft pop song playing over it. This looks beta as fuck.
You couldn't be further off with this take. If any of you are a fan of action movies or samurai movies at all and you haven't seen these films, you're doing yourself a serious disservice. There have been stunt coordinators who have been in awe at what they've seen from these films.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bragr

Banned
You couldn't be further off with this take. If any of you are a fan of action movies or samurai movies at all and you haven't seen these films, you're doing yourself a serious disservice. There have been stunt coordinators who have been in awe at what they've seen from these films.
Maybe, but they still look like twilight kids playing samurai, it ruins the immersion for me when the actors don't fit the role, it's like if adam sandler was the terminator.

Boss Mog

Maybe, but they still look like twilight kids playing samurai, it ruins the immersion for me when the actors don't fit the role, it's like if adam sandler was the terminator.
If you know the manga, you'd see that they were nearly perfectly cast. The only character slightly miscast is Megumi, and I'm only nitpicking because the manga often stated that she is supposed to be a beauty, especially compared to Kaoru, but in the movies the actress that plays Megumi just doesn't live up to it and is less pretty than the actress that plays Kaoru and judging from "The Beginning" trailer it looks like Tomoe's actress is prettier as well.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe, but they still look like twilight kids playing samurai, it ruins the immersion for me
You realize you're describing a young Tom Cruise right? He was known as a young heartthrob/pretty boy and then he earned everyone's respect not only through his acting but also the moment that news started coming out that he was doing these big life threatening stunts with no double.

Actors doing their own stunt work is a slowly dying trend, and I have a ton of respect for any actor who decides to put in the extra work and risk their body to elevate a good film to greatness. To me it stops mattering how an actor looks once I realize they're doing their own stunts.

Bragr

Banned
You realize you're describing a young Tom Cruise right? He was known as a young heartthrob/pretty boy and then he earned everyone's respect not only through his acting but also the moment that news started coming out that he was doing these big life threatening stunts with no double.

Actors doing their own stunt work is a slowly dying trend, and I have a ton of respect for any actor who decides to put in the extra work and risk their body to elevate a good film to greatness. To me it stops mattering how an actor looks once I realize they're doing their own stunts.
I think acting matters a lot more than stunts ever will. A young Tom cruise would look dumb in a warrior role just as this guy does.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I think acting matters a lot more than stunts ever will. A young Tom cruise would look dumb in a warrior role just as this guy does.
We will have to disagree on this. Stunt performance matters way more in action films and the minute you see bad stunt work(or bad camera work to hide shitty stunts) it can instantly take a person out of the experience regardless of how good they've acted.

I agree with your take on every other genre, but action films and action segments in movies have a specific visual language that is more than just about acting and it can easily be screwed up by directors who simply don't know any better or don't let the correct people take charge of the scenes(like action and stunt coordinators). This goes back as far as Buster Keaton and Kurosawa. I recommend checking out documentaries about action and stunt work.

Bragr

Banned
We will have to disagree on this. Stunt performance matters way more in action films and the minute you see bad stunt work(or bad camera work to hide shitty stunts) it can instantly take a person out of the experience regardless of how good they've acted.

I agree with your take on every other genre, but action films and action segments in movies have a specific visual language that is more than just about acting and it can easily be screwed up by directors who simply don't know any better or don't let the correct people take charge of the scenes(like action and stunt coordinators). This goes back as far as Buster Keaton and Kurosawa. I recommend checking out documentaries about action and stunt work.

Yes but without an actor that fits it doesn't matter, if some random guy that looks like a child was doing jackie chans stunts, it would matter how well its performed. There are plenty of guys who do stunts that no one knows about because people dont wanna watch them in the movie. If Jodie Foster did all her own stunts, she still wouldnt fit in an action movie because she doesnt look like someone who fits in the role.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yes but without an actor that fits it doesn't matter, if some random guy that looks like a child was doing jackie chans stunts, it would matter how well its performed. There are plenty of guys who do stunts that no one knows about because people dont wanna watch them in the movie. If Jodie Foster did all her own stunts, she still wouldnt fit in an action movie because she doesnt look like someone who fits in the role.
Your statements don't explain the popularity of eastern action movies like Ong Bak and The Raid: Redemption in western countries. From your perspective, those movies, their sequels(and others like it) becoming box ticket hits wouldn't make a lick of sense. It's like you're avoiding the elephant in the room that Americans like to call 'Kung Fu movies'.

Bragr

Banned
Your statements don't explain the popularity of eastern action movies like Ong Bak and The Raid: Redemption in western countries. From your perspective, those movies, their sequels(and others like it) becoming box ticket hits wouldn't make a lick of sense. It's like you're avoiding the elephant in the room that Americans like to call 'Kung Fu movies'.
I seen Ong Bak but never even heard of The Raid. And Tony Jaa doesn't look like these soft kids in this movie from this thread, this is a different thing. I'm not arguing against kung fu movies, im arguing against kung fu movies with people that look like they come from a boyband, it's weird.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I seen Ong Bak but never even heard of The Raid.
Hopefully now that you've heard of it you can join the millions of others who highly enjoyed it and it's sequel.

By the way here's the star of The Raid, Iko Uwais:

8c98f6e2135ca198bd5df765463cedd2.jpg

AGF-l796LdVM3s4Ng1ePJxJaj-iNnn2-SCvNLau2=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

He's a hell of an action star.

And Tony Jaa doesn't look like these soft kids in this movie from this thread, this is a different thing. I'm not arguing against kung fu movies, im arguing against kung fu movies with people that look like they come from a boyband, it's weird.
I just think it's an odd take to have, but to each his own. Just because someone won the genetic lottery on youthful looks doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken seriously at their craft.

Bragr

Banned
Hopefully now that you've heard of it you can join the millions of others who highly enjoyed it and it's sequel.

I just think it's an odd take to have, but to each his own. Just because someone won the genetic lottery on youthful looks doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken seriously at their craft.
I don't understand your take, would you really not find it odd if Toby Maguire was cast as John Rambo?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand your take, would you really not find it odd if Toby Maguire was cast as John Rambo?
If Toby was performing stunts on screen, no I wouldn't. We just have different viewpoints about this 🤷‍♂️

Keanu Reeves went from Bill and Ted to Speed/The Matrix.
Leo DiCaprio went from Titanic to The Departed/Blood Diamond.
I already listed Tom Cruise
Even Robert Pattinson went from Twilight to now Batman.

These are or were in the past, all good looking dudes with boyish looks that a lot of women fawned over.

Edit: And I'm looking forward to what Tom Holland will do in the new Uncharted movie since he did most of his own stunts in both Spiderman films(yet they stupidly CG'ed over most of them)

Bragr

Banned
If Toby was performing stunts on screen, no I wouldn't. We just have different viewpoints about this 🤷‍♂️

Keanu Reeves went from Bill and Ted to Speed/The Matrix.
Leo DiCaprio went from Titanic to The Departed/Blood Diamond.
I already listed Tom Cruise
Even Robert Pattinson went from Twilight to now Batman.

These are or were in the past, all good looking dudes with boyish looks that a lot of women fawned over.
Yeah but these guys in this trailer literally look like a k-pop group. Either way, doesn't matter, maybe it will turn out good.

Boss Mog

Yeah but these guys in this trailer literally look like a k-pop group. Either way, doesn't matter, maybe it will turn out good.
This is what Enishi looks like in the manga:

af147729821cbe311809057601a4c3d8.jpg

They got as close as they could without getting silly in my opinion:

enishi-yukishiro-kenshin-movie.jpg

As for the fight scenes, the ones in the original trilogy are probably the best sword fights ever in a live action movie:

MastaKiiLA

As someone who never read the manga, I find the first 2 movies to be awful. I'm vaguely familiar with the story, but the movies just aren't good IMO. Not as bad as live action AoT, but there are dozens of throwaway samurai movies of rather watch instead.

The first movie is a perfect live action adaptation from a manga for me.
The 2 others were also good.

I will definitely watch them
I didn't like how Saito was introduced too early in the first film compared to how it happened in the manga/anime. The Battousai vs Saito fight was one of the hypest fights in both the manga/anime but it was such a letdown in the movie.

DelireMan7

I didn't like how Saito was introduced too early in the first film compared to how it happened in the manga/anime. The Battousai vs Saito fight was one of the hypest fights in both the manga/anime but it was such a letdown in the movie.
To be honest I don't remember the details (I have to rewatch it) but when I watch it was just after another read of the manga. And I find it great it was not a 1:1 adaptation and the change they made were making sense for me while being refreshing.
I don't remember the detail of the fight but I know I was extremely impressed by this movie. I remember thinking "this a perfect live action adaptation of a manga"

They translated Enishi's style pretty well into live action. And they also brought back a fan favorite that wasn't in the books for that arc. Also way more Misao which was nice. She's always been one of my favorite characters. And I stand by what I said about the Saito vs Kenshin fight being a let down in the first movie but after seeing The Final I have high hopes that The Beginning will have a proper Saito vs Battousai fight during the Bakumatsu.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
The fights in this movie are the best I've ever seen on any movie or show. No contest.

i just saw The Final, and I'm happy to see that there's still one more coming :D

KielCasto

I loved this. I can’t compare it with the source material, but the fight scenes were good.

Sojiro was a fun surprise.

Sanosuke was still funny.

Does the end basically confirm that they’re a couple?

I’m excited for the fifth film.

Shouta

The Final was pretty good! It did a fairly good job of condensing the Jinchu arc into one movie and kept all of the major points from the manga story in it. They did make a bunch of changes since they kind of messed up with continuity of the movies and they also aren't going to be making another movie further in the timeline. The 5th movie is going back to the start of the story.

I really wish Sano had a bigger part than job to Enishi but someone has to, lol.

Last edited:
The Final was pretty good! It did a fairly good job of condensing the Jinchu arc into one movie and kept all of the major points from the manga story in it. They did make a bunch of changes since they kind of messed up with continuity of the movies and they also aren't going to be making another movie further in the timeline. The 5th movie is going back to the start of the story.

I really wish Sano had a bigger part than job to Enishi but someone has to, lol.
Of the entire cast, Sano's the one that has been robbed of development the most. No Sekihoutai, no link to the opium war, no Tsunan, no link to Anji, no family. Can't really expect them to go in depth with 2 hour movies but he had nothing lol. At least his antics are still fun to watch.

Boss Mog

Got around to watching it yesterday. I enjoyed it; it did a pretty good job of condensing the jinchu arc in a 2 hour movie even adding in some small surprises. They kind of gave away the key plot points of The Beginning though but they kind of had to. I don't get why they didn't just release The Beginning first; would've made a lot more sense.

4EZCOOLDART

I don't think I've ever seen a live action anime meet my expectations of what the show should be but sure, I'll give this and Cowboy Bebop a shot.

thefool

Hopefully there's a push for people to check the OVA's. That shit is simply too good.
Iwasaki soundtrack alone is something else.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nice, will check these out.

The previous ones are the only decent live action anime adaptations I've seen

Boss Mog

I think the reason they introduced Hajime Saitou in the first movie is because they weren't sure at the time if it would be successful and there was no guarantee of a sequel. Saitou is a fan favorite; the Vegeta-esque, cool anti-hero character. He's also the only member of the main cast who was a real historical figure. And although they were technically on the wrong side of history because they served the shogunate, the Shinsengumi are very popular in Japan to this day. And today Saitou and Okita are probably their most famous members. I'm guessing Okita is the young Shinsengumi with his head shaved in the middle in "The Beginning" trailer, the one that says battousai was behind the killings.

Dr_Salt

Thats not how Iko looks in the Raid tho and you know it...

Boss Mog

I just finished watching The Beginning and it was damn good. My only regret is that they didn't show Hiko saving Kenshin as a kid, naming him and taking him under his wing and then Kenshin leaving mid-training to join up with Katsura and the Ishin shishi but I knew it wasn't going to happen since Hiko's actor wasn't in the cast. That scene was powerful in the Trust OVA. I also wish they would've shown Kenshin and Saito fighting at some point; we only see him fighting Okita sadly. They ended the movie with the first scene from the original 2012 movie which is pretty cool. I think that's why they released The Beginning after The Final but personally I think they should've released this one before, it would've made The Final a bit more impactful.

Haven't gotten around to The Beginning yet, but idk why, but I feel like The Finals was a bit too draggy in comparison to the previous films.

So I actually rewatched the trilogy, and yep, the Final has way too many shots lingering on Kenshin as he goes into deep thought and yada yada.

I'm fine with those shots, but it is draggy AF compared to the well paced mannerisms of the trilogy. Even the second movie, Kyoto Inferno, a movie that is obviously a mid-step movie in a trilogy, was a more well paced and more exciting in the first 5 minutes of the movie then The Final in it's first 30.

Regardless, the fact that trilogy is THE bar to overcome in Modern Japanese Samurai films hardly takes away from the new movies as being almost as good is a great feat in itself.

Gonna watch The Beginning later today!

Boss Mog

Haven't gotten around to The Beginning yet, but idk why, but I feel like The Finals was a bit too draggy in comparison to the previous films.

So I actually rewatched the trilogy, and yep, the Final has way too many shots lingering on Kenshin as he goes into deep thought and yada yada.

I'm fine with those shots, but it is draggy AF compared to the well paced mannerisms of the trilogy. Even the second movie, Kyoto Inferno, a movie that is obviously a mid-step movie in a trilogy, was a more well paced and more exciting in the first 5 minutes of the movie then The Final in it's first 30.

Regardless, the fact that trilogy is THE bar to overcome in Modern Japanese Samurai films hardly takes away from the new movies as being almost as good is a great feat in itself.

Gonna watch The Beginning later today!
Even though it probably has the least action of all the Kenshin movies, I feel like The Beginning was great. It's a movie that can stand on it's own, something anybody can watch without any prior knowledge of Rurouni Kenshin and still enjoy.

Valonquar

The Begginning was way better than I was expecting, considering how much of the same material was covered already in the previous movie.

Top Bottom