• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Sony has canceled an unannounced sci-fi shooter at Final Strike Games. The game was in development for 3 years. [...]

LoveCake

Shame for the dev team :(

I wonder if it was something to do with Bungie? as this is what Sony purchased them for, maybe it was just decided not to continue putting more money into it, but I doubt we will ever find out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Also why you shouldn’t buy developers that haven’t done anything. 😂
They're a private company. Sony doesn't own them.

Varteras

Gold Member
Guess it was...

their final strike
Will Smith Reaction GIF

Mr.Phoenix

Is this the first casualty of the their live service push?
Dont know why anyone would think that. It could simply just mean the game wasn't good enough or meeting expectations.

I feel for the dev, but I can't fault publishers for doing stuff like this and cutting their losses and then at the same time be asking publishers how they let something like Redfall happen.

Last edited:

sachos

Damn man, getting 3 years of your work thrown to the trash like that, feels bad man. It would be cool if they released some of the concept art or some demo videos just to see what they were working on, always curious about what gets cut in development.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Gotta know when to kill your darlings.
Yeah: when the media’s attention is on the other guy.

With this and PixelOpus, it looks to me like Sony is taking advantage of current media focus to clean house (or at least do a little hedge-trimming) with minimal media scrutiny. I wonder if they have a list of projects and studios that they wait for an opportune moment to cancel, when there’s some other big story? Makes sense.

U mean Xbox

With the money MS's pumped into Xbox and the possibility they've got a dead $69 billion deal, Microsoft will make Xbox its bitch* and Xbox might as well be Microsoft.

*John Romero fans rise up!

Yeah: when the media’s attention is on the other guy.

With this and PixelOpus, it looks to me like Sony is taking advantage of current media focus to clean house (or at least do a little hedge-trimming) with minimal media scrutiny. I wonder if they have a list of projects and studios that they wait for an opportune moment to cancel, when there’s some other big story? Makes sense.

Well the "opportune time" would be checking in on milestones and seeing if the teams have hit them or not, how far behind they are, where the state of the game is after a period of time, and what the team's track record looks like. Microsoft's problems with Xbox being what they are, is just an incidental benefit for Sony to skirt by with a small studio closure here or project cancellation there.

Plus even if Xbox were doing perfectly fine, yeah the media would focus a lot more on PixelOpus being closed or a game never revealed being cancelled, but people with a rational head could easily point out the reasons behind both and point to Sony delivering on games and gearing up for a big showcase anyway. Game cancellations in particular are a regular thing in the industry; I'm surprised sometimes with how many games actually end up cancelled.

"SCIFI Shooter"

Yeah sounds boring, good decision by Jimbo

If it was anything like Event Horizon (more so than Dead Space is), maybe it'd be a bit upsetting to see it cancelled but I could understand the decision.

Anything sci-fi outside of that scope and there's a chance it wasn't unique enough to stand out from the market or even Sony's own sci-fi shooter they acquired through Destiny by Bungie.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Their website says 55 employees. Don’t know if that represents current number or number before layoffs. So they are on the smallish side.

Mokus

Quality wise the canceled game was on par with Redfall, so Jim Ryan did what Phil Spencer didn't. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

SSfox

Damn man, you can't just diss Bungie's future prospects like that :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I liked the first Halo despite not being huge into fps, but outside i never cared about Bungie, as much as when they are with MS or with Sony.

If it was anything like Event Horizon (more so than Dead Space is), maybe it'd be a bit upsetting to see it cancelled but I could understand the decision.

Anything sci-fi outside of that scope and there's a chance it wasn't unique enough to stand out from the market or even Sony's own sci-fi shooter they acquired through Destiny by Bungie.

They probably canceled it for a reason, i called out Redfall to be a mid game (tho it ended worse), and some called me a Xbox hater. Since we haven't seen anything about this game it's hard to be 100% affirmative of course, but i feel like this scifi shooter was likely just another generic stuff you see all the time on gamepass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom