• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Sony has canceled an unannounced sci-fi shooter at Final Strike Games. The game was in development for 3 years. [...]

Pallas

I get that. But Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot. If you're not going to have many games, then the games you release have to be bangers. You can't have a limited number of games AND release games that play like ass.

Also, console warriors are going to console war. I don't care about their opinion. Microsoft will redeem themselves with me if they do right by Fable. If they ruin that, then I'll lose hope with them. I still think they can turn things around with the studios they have. Time will tell.
No doubt they dropped the ball on Redfall and so did Arkane, I can only hope that the game gets better in time with patches.

3 years in development means a lot for Sony cost-wise. Project shouldn't be up to their standards if they decide to cut it short, maybe they don't want to risk another The Order 1886.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

When a new Live Service game gets canceled, we all suffer. SP gamers have to eat a @#$% sandwich too.

Dr_Ifto

Since I do not know how the game was, I cannot pass judgement if this was a good call or not. One could extrapolate that with Sony's latest GaaS push, this probably means the game was in a bad state too far along the process, and could not be course corrected. Not to bring Redfall into the conversation, but they probably saw similar issues as that game, and said they could not have the same public outcry and just canned the game.

Imagine Jim Ryan going into the Ninja Theory office, tipping Tameem's coffee onto the floor and chucking a grenade into the staff kitchen.

"OK boys and girls, no more fucking trips to Iceland. Get your arses in gear or GET THE FUCK OUT!"

We might get Hellblade 2 sooner and that abomination Bleeding Edge could have been aborted for the benefit of mankind.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Didn't even take one page to try to make this thread about Microsoft. Console wars are a full time job.

Only a console warrior would take that comment as console warring. Maybe you should look at my other posts in this same thread. Maybe this will help:

I get that. But Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot. If you're not going to have many games, then the games you release have to be bangers. You can't have a limited number of games AND release games that play like ass.

Also, console warriors are going to console war. I don't care about their opinion. Microsoft will redeem themselves with me if they do right by Fable. If they ruin that, then I'll lose hope with them. I still think they can turn things around with the studios they have. Time will tell.

Neilg

Interesting. Why move to a nice new space then layoff almost half your workforce? Also who is Timur222 and are they reliable?
An office move with a build out like that takes 12-18 months. A lot can happen in that time and the lease would be signed already.

If they started a new game half the staff would be sat around doing nothing during preproduction anyway. They're not closing the studio, just going lean for a year or two until they have a project that can justify them doubling in size again.

Is this the first casualty of the their live service push?
Must have been sort of terrible (or just very redundant with some other project) to stop it after 3 years. They thought to see something at first, but it never materialised to something they wanted to continue to support.
Would be interesting what 3 years actually mean though. 2 years concept phase and now after one year of creating some levels, the alpha built just sucked. Or full 3 years with a full team and continous progress or missed milestones and many promises broken.

Fortnite started rather different before it finally found its form, with some iirc rather unimpressive previews and trailers. If it would have been axed 3 years in development, we would never had Fortnite as it is today. Which I would not care for anyway, since I missed so far all BR GaaS whatever.
Sleeping Dogs has found some fans but no idea if the publisher swap made anyone happy after all.
DNF felt even after all those years and dev changes like a rushed job.
Maybe with some new vision and some changes they could have turned it around and make something big, maybe it would never have been what they think they want and need in the line up. Now we never really know, at least it was not announced at all, so no one except the very people involved know anything.
These GaaS games seem very much based on luck if you just hit the nerve of the people with some small new twist mostly in ever evolving shooter genres.

Last edited:

Neilg

Would be interesting what 3 years actually mean though. 2 years concept phase and now after one year of creating some levels, the alpha built just sucked. Or full 3 years with a full team and continous progress or missed milestones and many promises broken.
You dont start a game in full production, I guess they were very early in full production, probably one year into smoothly ramping up and right about to hire/contract out like mad for the full production 2-3 year push. Once it goes into full production and has 300+ people on it across full-time and contractors, you are burning cash - a single year of that will eclipse all pre & early production costs. They would have been at a shit or get off the pot moment with funding.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is exactly what Phil shouldve done with Redfall when bought Zenimax in 2020. Just cancel the fucking thing if you dont have any faith in it.

Phil literally said that we dont think the game works so we just patched up the bugs that we could and ship it. Sorry but if you didnt believe in the game connecting with players then it shouldve been cancelled years ago.

Metnut

Smart move by Sony. We’ve recently seen the massive damage to reputation that releasing something like Redfall can cause.

Bummer that the game didn’t work out though.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
This is exactly what Phil shouldve done with Redfall when bought Zenimax in 2020. Just cancel the fucking thing if you dont have any faith in it.

Phil literally said that we dont think the game works so we just patched up the bugs that we could and ship it. Sorry but if you didnt believe in the game connecting with players then it shouldve been cancelled years ago.
Worse games than Redfall have been fixed. I think that Team bondi game LA Noire had a worse dev story than Redfall, and the end game was not that bad in comparison. I would have prefered for the game to be cancelled than to ship in this state. But this is in hindsight. Cut it out, or send the people that can fix it, like Rockstar did. Microsoft choose to not do either of those, and just let them do what they can. This is the problem. Not being decisive enough. For this game, I think that Sony will probably just make them redo it from the ground up or ask them to help another of their studios.

Top Bottom