• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Sony has canceled an unannounced sci-fi shooter at Final Strike Games. The game was in development for 3 years. [...]

Source:

The work Fire Strike Games has done so far:

Spen6Hp.png

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Sony is cut throat yo. If it aint goty potential its getting the axe.

Not always, some things still manage to slip through and end up being sent out to the market, but as a whole their standards are high.

It's better not to waste any further time, money and eventually marketing budget on games that simply aren't going to be good enough.

Is this the first casualty of the their live service push?

Looks to be the case, yes.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Sounds like the typical "new fiscal year" clean up these companies do. PixelOpus was another casualty as well.
Costs these days are higher.
3 years development cost for AAA game is not a joke. That is a lot of money lost in the process without no return. That is the risk of making games these days

I can see why Sony is desperate for those live service games. They need another avenue of income.

Nautilus

Banned
Interesting. Why move to a nice new space then layoff almost half your workforce? Also who is Timur222 and are they reliable?
they are probably being relocated to somewhere smaller, since they have less staff now. Or just being put somewhere that is closer/more convinient for Sony.

mdkirby

They don’t do shit like that without reason. Its can’t have been in great shape.

This is one reason after finishing my games degree 20 years ago, that I changed my mind and opted not to enter the industry proper, and set up my own adjacent industry company instead.

Knew several people who had spent years working on stuff only to have it cancelled never to see the light of day and they couldn’t talk about it. Another who spent an entire year animating car boots opening and closing for revolution, and another who spent 6 months animating a boss, only for the creative director to come in one day with a “changed vision” for the fight, which instantly negated all the work he’d done. Not to mention all the crunch and not exactly great pay. The dream of working for big game companies is very alluring, but the reality often sucks balls.

Mr Moose

Interesting. Why move to a nice new space then layoff almost half your workforce? Also who is Timur222 and are they reliable?
No idea, their source isn't the dev in their tweet apparently.
I thought this part was interesting "and working more closely together in person." Maybe fired people who wanted to work from home?

Camreezie

Their track record was shite. Sorry for the people to lose their job but workwise , i doubt we have lost out on a good game

Ronin_7

Ruthless Sony.

Sony quality control is insane my tight, even the recruitment process to join SIE is beyond impossível lol

Cyborg

If it's not good don't launch or develop it.. if they launch it you guys will find a reason to b*tch about it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good. That's what you should do.
My thinking exactly. And without getting into the minutia of the business, these things happen all the time depending on fiscal timing or just needing to make executive decisions.

You can say the same for any company like GE or Publix or Conagra Foods. Sony management evaluating and making decisions as they should.

That's why you're there on your device posting here and not there earning those dollars.

Pallas

It sounds like Sony did what Microsoft should have done with Redfall.
You’d have people concern trolling that Xbox has no games again and that they are gonna cancel Starfield too.

Phil needs to be more hands on and quality checks need to be performed. Delay it if you got to, just get it right, shit like the Cyberpunk 2077 launch shouldn’t happen again.

Give Up GIF by TLC Europe

On the topic at hand, cancellations suck but it’s the nature of the beast in that industry.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You’d have people concern trolling that Xbox has no games again and that they are gonna cancel Starfield too.

Phil needs to be more hands on and quality checks need to be performed. Delay it if you got to, just get it right, shit like the Cyberpunk 2077 launch shouldn’t happen again.

Give Up GIF by TLC Europe

I get that. But Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot. If you're not going to have many games, then the games you release have to be bangers. You can't have a limited number of games AND release games that play like ass.

Also, console warriors are going to console war. I don't care about their opinion. Microsoft will redeem themselves with me if they do right by Fable. If they ruin that, then I'll lose hope with them. I still think they can turn things around with the studios they have. Time will tell.

I swear to God if Playstation doesn't give me some first party FPS titles on PS5 I will fucking riot.

Killzone Shadowfall was sick as shit although having a lack luster story. But I want to see something like that with new technology.

AGRacing

What are the odds their next game is a 3rd person action adventure with stealth elements and emotional story?
Yeah I was just thinking this... maybe Hermen went in to check on progress and noticed there was :

A) no obvious lesbian
B) no 3rd person view
C) no apocalyptic undertones
D) no mo capped celebrities from old syndicated television shows
E) felt like it was a year+ out from release.

"Sorry guys but this feels more like a Game Pass title right now... canceled!"

Pallas

If the game is going to damage your brand, no point releasing it. The money spent is gone, write it off and move on.
Hyperbole much? even if this game was released, it wasn’t going to damage Sony’s PlayStation brand. This isn’t GoW, HZD, TLOU, etc

The dev team got downsized, which is a common thing lately in the tech field.

Ozriel

M$FT
Their track record was shite. Sorry for the people to lose their job but workwise , i doubt we have lost out on a good game

People said the exact same thing about the devs behind Hogwarts Legacy. Look how that turned out.

It sounds like Sony did what Microsoft should have done with Redfall.
If it was ass, good. Sony doesnt want a redfall situation

MUCH easier to do when you haven’t announced the game or heavily promoted it. MS caught a lot of backlash when they canceled Fable Legends and Scalebound.

But good decision otherwise when the game isn’t well known. Cut your losses and move on without tarnishing your first party reputation. Also helps when you have a full slate of games so you can make these decisions easier.

Sucks for the devs, but that’s life.

Top Bottom