• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: MS approach Valve for buyout $16b offer

Sorcerer

Imagine if Microsoft did buy Valve and attempted to put the entire Steam library (I think 50,000 games) on the Cloud? I guess Steam would become Steam Pass, or Valve Pass. $100 dollars a month on top of buying the games upfront. LOL!!!

People thought the $70bn AKB rumours were BS, now look where we are lol.

Wouldn't put anything past these lot tbh, can't beat them, just buy everyone else..

Seems to be the mantra at Microsoft HQ lol.

Last edited:

Fbh

Well that would suck.
On the upside the meltdowns would be legendary.
As would MS having to convince regulators again and having Phil or Satya go whine that trillion dollar MS just can't create a competitive storefront... on their own fucking operating system.

BoxFresh123

h7WJM18.jpeg

What ABK rumors? As I recall, there wasn't any talk about it whatsoever prior to the announcement of the acquisition.
oh yeah you're right actually. I guess the general consensus was that it wouldn't pass through back then which is different here.

I concede and retract 😅

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
What ABK rumors? As I recall, there wasn't any talk about it whatsoever prior to the announcement of the acquisition.
Same with Bethesda. This are commercial secrets and they are even better kept if the company you're about to acquire is private.

'Insides' like this, especially than name some numbers are always bogus.

Drell

Can't wait for the european union to unroll them the red carpet and then tell they will be more severe against the gafam in the future...

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Wouldn't put anything past these lot tbh, can't beat them, just buy everyone else..

Check out the logistics of the Acti acquisition. Particularly its origins. This isn’t that, based on no credible source, and now has delved into talking about a hypothetical that has no origin story.

Edit: Saw your follow up. So, never mind.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
oh yeah you're right actually. I guess the general consensus was that it wouldn't pass through back then which is different here.

I concede and retract 😅

All good man. Yeah, we had a thread going during all that ABK stuff. Kind of funny how much I learned about mergers and acquisitions during that drama. lol

MiguelItUp

I don't think this is something that would happen. Especially with all the negative press surrounding the studios they've shuttered as of late.

LakeOf9

I should make a twitter account and make random outrageous claims, then I’ll be the talk of the gaming world for a day or two too

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I say go for what. The last acquisition worked out swimmingly for them....right?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Doesn't 16 billion seem a bit low? Are they just trying to buy the studio? Wouldn't Steam automatically come with it?

I'm very confused right now. Confused and afraid.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yeah, basically.

Next we'll start hearing chants of

Let Them Compete
Let Them Compete

I honestly wanna see it happen, just to see exactly wtf will regulators do this time....

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
MS sounds like that drunk great great uncle you hear about that spent all of your rich great great great grandads money .

The Fartist

Gold Member
Unrelated, but, Gabe needs to start loosing weight and eating right, he's 61. When was the last time you saw a fat old person?

Ogbert

It’s obviously bullshit.

Anyway, it wouldn’t pass competition authorities as it would represent genuine horizontal consolidation.

Last edited:

damidu

gaming must be saved from these leeches for sure.
but this is probably just some bs to divert ratfolk's attention from their latest flop of a release.

Skifi28

Gold Member
That's my biggest fear with steam. Everyone wants their entire library there thinking it'll be the most future-proof digital way of preserving it (other than GoG), but all it takes is a big offer from MS or Amazon to ruin everything. For the record I think it's very unlikely this will be happening now, but Gabe won't be around forever and then all bets are off.

Last edited:
If this was two years ago, I would have been perfectly happy with them buying Valve. Maybe we would even finally get Half Life 3, but now I think dear God.....

Top Bottom