• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: MS approach Valve for buyout $16b offer

Ozzie666

16B seems way to low for Valve and Steam to be honest. More value than Activsionin my opinion, consistent earnings with little risk. At least for now Steam is pretty much PC gaming for most people. Others store fronts have tried, but not really put much of a dent. PC gaming only seems to be on the upswing too.

XBOX business expert fans out here every day walking in with new 4D chess no loss made up scenarios.
Kate Mckinnon Hello GIF by Saturday Night Live

Tomorrow - "MS is prepared to buy Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Disney, all cash. FTC cannot interfere. MS will release new XBOX iPad Playstation Switch console branded with some fuckin' Disney shit on it, running MacOS, Windows, SteamOS, iOS, DOS 3.1, OS/2 and AmigaOS with Workbench 2.1 "

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I can't wait for Half Life 3...Made by Microsoft Studios...
(Perhaps they will replace Gordon Freeman with Master Chief)

Last edited:
Well, though this is clearly some sort of joke or fake news, my bet is MS is not interested in Steam at all, I have the feeling the would prefer a really good relationship with Steam as a partnership but they are aware of how difficult would it be for them to acquire Steam

Seems
XBOX business expert fans out here every day walking in with new 4D chess no loss made up scenarios.
Kate Mckinnon Hello GIF by Saturday Night Live

Tomorrow - "MS is prepared to buy Sony, Apple, Disney, all cash. FTC cannot interfere. MS will release new XBOX iPad Playstation console branded with some fuckin' Disney shit on it, running MacOS, Windows, SteamOS, iOS, DOS 3.1, OS/2 and AmigaOS with Workbench 2.1 "
Breaking: Microsoft is buying the FTC.

Cyborg

Even if true this won't be allowed by the regulators after all the broken promises by MS on the Activision deal.

Sorcerer

Last edited:

lordrand11

Just seen on my feeds

Edit: I saw this reposted by someone (linneman?) who reposted/retweeted it - which I thought lent some form of legitimacy. The value seems very low, Gaben is known to have said "no fuckin way" in the past etc etc.

Considering Valve averages $15 billion per year I doubt that would be a considered offer ever if it were made. That'd be like someone telling you they'll pay you one years worth of your pay upfront if you'll quit your job. It'd sound nice but at the end of it, what are you going to be able to do afterwards.

Versus ActiBlizz's 7.5 billion per year.

MS would have to pony up quite a significant amount of cash higher than the ActiBlizz purchase to get close.

Last edited:
Well, though this is clearly some sort of joke or fake news, my bet is MS is not interested in Steam at all, I have the feeling the would prefer a really good relationship with Steam in the form of a partnership with them.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
It's obviously xbox stans huffing big bags of hopium.$16 billion is insanely low
But if it were true, the petition and complaints sent to the Federal Trade Commission and the European Commission would make the Helldivers 2 review bomb campaign look like a fart in the ocean.
The revolt from PC gamers would be nuclear.

nuclear explosion GIF

Considering Valve averages $15 billion per year I doubt that would be a considered offer ever if it were made. That'd be like someone telling you they'll pay you one years worth of your pay upfront if you'll quit your job. It'd sound nice but at the end of it, what are you going to be able to do afterwards.

Versus ActiBlizz's 7.5 billion per year.

MS would have to pony up quite a significant amount of cash higher than the ActiBlizz purchase to get close.
Thats revenue. They take about 30% - 4.5B. Then you have operating costs etc. I assume they have a ebita of 1.5B. So 16B is fair

lordrand11

Thats revenue. They take about 30% - 4.5B. Then you have operating costs etc. I assume they have a ebita of 1.5B. So 16B is fair
So then ActiBlizz's operating profit was probably around the hundreds of millions and sold for 75 Billion?

You're also talking about the largest self-publishing PC distribution platform across the planet with the highest number of monthly active users (averaging 120 million), I sincerely doubt they would sell for less than ActiBlizz.

Smasher89

Developing Steamos just to get bought up by microsoft?, this feels like a wilder guess than Nintendo starting to work with playstation again to revive the nintendo playstation project.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It boggles my mind how anyone with a functioning brain can make the argument that Microsoft buying Valve would be good for the gaming industry., especially with how badly they have fucked up every thing gaming related this past year.

Having said that I would love the OPTION to tie Steam achievements to Xbox achievements.

So much drama. How exactly did ms "fuck up gaming" over the past year? They continue to sell a traditional console and games. Sure they didn't deliver the AAA games that everyone wanted, but it's not like the axed half thier studios, released a potatoe for $899, and said that all games must be about aliens.
Gaming is fine. You are OK.

Would ms buying steam be good for gaming overall? Probably not, since competition is good, but would the sky fall? Nope.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
So much drama. How exactly did ms "fuck up gaming" over the past year? They continue to sell a traditional console and games. Sure they didn't deliver the AAA games that everyone wanted, but it's not like the axed half thier studios, released a potatoe for $899, and said that all games must be about aliens.

Would ms buying steam be good for gaming overall? Probably not, since competition is good, but would the sky fall? Nope.
Jesus, you been living under a rock? If MS buys Steam, it will fragment the space because competitors not gonna publish their games on the platform, knowing that the money flows to MS. Steam so far was an "independent" entity, while MS actively tries to wreck the segment with GamePass, by constricting publishers/developers revenue.

But I don't see why would GN need the money when he already is swimming in it and literally do whatever the fuck he wants. Look what happened to Star Wars. George Lucas became retarded the moment he sold his child to Disney. And they raped his child multiple times, over and over again. And now what the fuck he does with that 4 bln? Eating himself to death?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yeah, the sky would fall. MS fucks up everything they touch.

But by all means, live in your little delusional bubble.

The only thing worse than ms buying valve would be ms buying Nintendo.

THE DUCK

Jesus, you been living under a rock? If MS buys Steam, it will fragment the space because competitors not gonna publish their games on the platform, knowing that the money flows to MS. Steam so far was an "independent" entity, while MS actively tries to wreck the segment with GamePass, by constricting publishers/developers revenue.

But I don't see why would GN need the money when he already is swimming in it and literally do whatever the fuck he wants. Look what happened to Star Wars. George Lucas became retarded the moment he sold his child to Disney. And they raped his child multiple times, over and over again. And now what the fuck he does with that 4 bln? Eating himself to death?

What? You think if ms buys steam developers will suddenly drop thier largest source of pc income? That makes zero sense.

Ms wasn't trying to wreck anything with gamepass, they were trying to gain customers and steady revenue sources. You act like they stopped traditional game sales and forced everyone into subscriptions on all platforms. That's not reality, it's a fantasy your mind has conjured.

The GL is just an example of someone who doesn't need the money selling thier baby.
Doesn't mean it was the right decision.

pasterpl

So then ActiBlizz's operating profit was probably around the hundreds of millions and sold for 75 Billion?
ABK was publicly traded company so we know exactly how much profit they were making. Approx 5-6 bn usd per year in gross profit. Net income between 1.5 - 2 bn usd per year. Plus Activision had over 20bn usd in assets including 11bn usd cash on hand.

DaGwaphics

You're assuming Khan will always be around.

That's true. In the US big tech takes heat from all around, whoever is in the chair would probably move on it. Khan has been overly aggressive in an almost comical way, but even a more traditional person in this role would probably jump on this one (dominant operating system buys dominant game storefront). Especially with as aggressive as the FTC has been around Windows in the past.

MrRenegade

What? You think if ms buys steam developers will suddenly drop thier largest source of pc income? That makes zero sense.

Ms wasn't trying to wreck anything with gamepass, they were trying to gain customers and steady revenue sources. You act like they stopped traditional game sales and forced everyone into subscriptions on all platforms. That's not reality, it's a fantasy your mind has conjured.

The GL is just an example of someone who doesn't need the money selling thier baby.
Doesn't mean it was the right decision.
Well, it happened before. And yeah, for example Sony is not going to send 30% of their revenue to direct competitors. And all the other major publishers will follow suit.

Possibly reactionary news to the renewed rumors that Apple may go shopping for the first time. And spend *some* of their money acquiring Disney in a full acquisition

DaGwaphics

Well, it happened before. And yeah, for example Sony is not going to send 30% of their revenue to direct competitors. And all the other major publishers will follow suit.

How are they on Steam to begin with, Valve also sells software? I think you are imagining a weird level of espionage in the space, they've been paying the fees, if those don't change would they really care where the fee went? I doubt it.

They'd probably be more concerned about MS making changes that hurt the store they were getting most of their sales from.

Last edited:

MrRenegade

How are they on Steam to begin with, Valve also sells software? I think you are imagining a weird level of espionage in the space, they've been paying the fees, if those don't change would they really care where the fee went? I doubt it.

They'd probably be more concerned about MS making changes that hurt the store they were getting most of their sales from.
What espionage, are you high? :D :D :D

THE DUCK

Sony already plans to make thier own store, so they can keep 100% of revenue. Other major publishers will go where the most gamers are.
To be honest, the pending Sony store is already a major threat to steam if it launches with day and date ps5 titles.

So, thought experiment. let's say you make almost 90% of your product sales at a store. Then a competitor buys out that store. Do you stop selling your product there and leave 90% of sales behind?

Steam is massive. Publishers are not selling there because it's independent. They are selling there because it's the biggest and many other publisher run storefronts have failed. Just look at EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Microsoft.. all of them now put their games on Steam after their own stores failed.

It won't fragment the space, because publishers have already tried and failed to do so.

MrRenegade

So, thought experiment. let's say you make almost 90% of your product sales at a store. Then a competitor buys out that store. Do you stop selling your product there and leave 90% of sales behind?

Steam is massive. Publishers are not selling there because it's independent. They are selling there because it's the biggest and many other publisher run storefronts have failed. Just look at EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Microsoft.. all of them now put their games on Steam after their own stores failed.

It won't fragment the space, because publishers have already tried and failed to do so.
Steam is massive and independent. If it gets bought out by Microsoft, one of the biggest behemoth in gaming space, with unlimited resources, well, major publishers gonna depart.

What makes you think their storefront failed? Because they have lower numbers? Everyone maintains their own storefronts, they sell on steam too, because steam is the most widely known. Btw Blizzard had their own store (battle.net) from the get go and never relied on anyone else, did they fail too?

Last edited:

Mls Defense GIF by Philadelphia Union

Top Bottom