• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel moving away from Kang

bitbydeath

Not looking good.
Joanna Robinson, author of the book “MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios”, told House of R podcast this week that she hears Loveness is out at Marvel as “he was all wrapped up in this Kang storyline and they [Marvel] are likely going to be moving away from that.”
Jonathan Majors was introduced as Kang, a multiverse-spanning villain with many variants, in both “Loki” and ‘Quantumania’. However fan reaction to the character has been weak, and Majors himself is facing very public legal troubles – making his future with Marvel a subject of much speculation.
Rumors have swirled Marvel will move away from Kang to another villain as its ‘big bad’ of the Multiverse Saga with Doctor Doom being the likeliest candidate.

TVexperto

ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-kang-jonathan-majors-marvel-900x506.jpg

CSJ

I mean recasting was an option right there on the table, nobody would actually give a fuck and you wouldn't have to totally rethink, rewrite and recast a whole slew of things to carry on your cash machine.
You can make shit up, it's all make believe! Just one person, boom.

peish

like i said, Loki2 already did the Kang rewind bit, did the Kang killing billions without anyone knowng bit.
There is nothing interesting left to tell Kang story.

Loki2 writers did him in, they did Michael Waldron dirty, Kang Dynasty holds little surprises. What is Kangang going to do? Power suits and power beams?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Deadpool 3. 2024

The Fantastic Four. 2025

Avengers: Doomsday. 2025

The X-Men. 2026

Avengers: Secret Wars. 2026

Dump everything else, because nobody gives a shit anymore.

You dont like Blade? It got an R rating confirmed iirc so I am down to try it. But I agree with the sentiment of your post.

Thunderbolts I have no opinion on good or bad cuz I never heard of em lol

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You dont like Blade? It got an R rating confirmed iirc so I am down to try it. But I agree with the sentiment of your post.

Thunderbolts I have no opinion on good or bad cuz I never heard of em lol

Nothing about any news coming out about Blade gives me any confidence in the movie whatsoever.

But we're in a time now when making anything other than superhero movies about the most popular heroes is likely to bomb. Which is a good thing. Maybe we'll get space for more movies about other things.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Great, now everything feels even more pointless after Endgame. I wasn't a big Kang fan, but I would have liked to see where the journey was going, just with a different actor. Now that they have to rebuild everything from scratch, it can only go wrong.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you think outside the box a little bit, the answer is right there on how to save the MCU and the story continuity they've built up.

Robert Downey Jr. in blackface as Kang. Sells tickets immediately because of RDJ and allows them to recast the guy about to get fired, brings in the Tropic Thunder audience, and keeps the Kang storyline in tact, and will also instantly lead to the resignation of all staff at Marvel that are woke. It's really the last shot they have.

LordOfChaos

The Kang direction wasn't that compelling to me

A shift because of external factors gives me even less hope

Nothing's been that compelling since Thanos

LordCBH

Why not simply recast Kang and then hire writers who aren’t shoved so far up their own ass that they’re prevented from writing a good movie?

NahaNago

Moving away from Kang for now seems like a good idea but I wouldn't want them to not use that villain again. Just either wait for the trial to end or wait long enough to where replacing Jonathan majors as kang wouldn't be a big deal.

tkscz

It was clear from Loki that the current writers have no clue how to write a villain. Whats worse is the perfect story line and reasoning for Kang was right there on their laps. They could've easily used the story from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, where-in a time anomaly (in the show it was Captain America unfreezing) causes things to go wrong in Kang's future where he rules. Because Kang is a being outside of time, he sees the changes that slowly take things from him, with each ending credit scene showing more and more how the running of the current MCU is causing changes to his empire. He begins looking for the cause of this time anomaly since history books and what not have yet to change to reflect it. Here he finds that the starting point of the anomaly is when they time traveled in End Game and the fact that Captain America decided to stay in the past to live the life he wanted and Tony died. The future Kang lives in could have had, Cap stop some universe ending threat, and Tony create something that ensured a sustainable future and the Universe never fully healing from losing half it's population being easier to conquer in Kang's time. This would cause Kang to have to go back to time peroids and make small changes here and there to keep his time going until he can make bigger changes or be stopped before it's too late.

No surprise here. I didn't watch Ant-Man Q, but I did watch Loki, and between that and everything I saw/read about the other stuff, it didn't seem like they had anything interesting to do with the character. Plus, being accused (multiple accusers) of DV and working for Marvel/Disney, that was never going to work out regardless of what happens with his actual trial.

Coming out of Creed 3, I thought he'd be the next major villain in the MCU and also win an acting Oscar for a serious part pretty soon (supposedly, he's excellent in that bodybuilding movie), but oh well.

Nester99

As many have mentioned, they already touched on his interesting stories, i could care less about Kang now.

They have Dr. Doom to work with,....makes total sense to dump the dud and use the best villain in comics.

I mean recasting was an option right there on the table

For some reason Marvel has been allergic to recasting main characters ever since what happened with Chadwick Boseman, even though there's claims Boseman himself said he did not want the role of BP to end with his passing.

Laieon

I feel like Loki wrapped up his story well enough anyway that I don't mind this at all.

Recasts are an option (hell, how many Lokis did we see within Loki?), but I just personally didn't find Kang all that compelling of a villain anyway, and I'd prefer they move on from the cosmic multiverse stuff altogether. Outside of Guardians of the Galaxy, I just want to stick to Earth.

Last edited:
It was clear from Loki that the current writers have no clue how to write a villain. Whats worse is the perfect story line and reasoning for Kang was right there on their laps. They could've easily used the story from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, where-in a time anomaly (in the show it was Captain America unfreezing) causes things to go wrong in Kang's future where he rules. Because Kang is a being outside of time, he sees the changes that slowly take things from him, with each ending credit scene showing more and more how the running of the current MCU is causing changes to his empire. He begins looking for the cause of this time anomaly since history books and what not have yet to change to reflect it. Here he finds that the starting point of the anomaly is when they time traveled in End Game and the fact that Captain America decided to stay in the past to live the life he wanted and Tony died. The future Kang lives in could have had, Cap stop some universe ending threat, and Tony create something that ensured a sustainable future and the Universe never fully healing from losing half it's population being easier to conquer in Kang's time. This would cause Kang to have to go back to time peroids and make small changes here and there to keep his time going until he can make bigger changes or be stopped before it's too late.

Great thoughts...it's pretty insane that for as much as Marvel was pushing Kang, they never gave him a compelling backstory for why he's doing what he is. I assume the plan was to wait until Avengers to do that, but pretty stupid not to lay that foundation early on.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
For people saying Loki essentially wrote him out, how? It very much seemed like Kang expected, and wanted, this out come. In the show.

Majormaxxx

They are idiots. Make the freaking movies standalone for fucks sake.

I watched a spider man with tom holland and the movie began referencing some event in another marvel movie - possibly avengers or whatever.

They should have made each entry standalone - at least min its seires. For example spider 1, spider 2, spider 3. Don't make me watch 6 avengers to understand spider 1. Goddammit.

Now I have to watch 30 movies to understand the latest? F off.

For people saying Loki essentially wrote him out, how? It very much seemed like Kang expected, and wanted, this out come. In the show.

He Who Remains Kang didn't want that outcome because there is no sacred timeline anymore and unless the TVA does it's job, there will be a proliferation of Kangs.

That said, it's possible to lay the Kang story to a rest because it implies that any new Kangs that pop up on any timeline will be pruned by the TVA.

Pagusas

Elden Member
they took too long to make Kang remotely interesting (and they still havnt). Part of that is Covid I'm sure, but I think their own egos got in the way thinking they could span a villian intro over YEARS in C and D tier super hero movies and expect the same success they had with Iron Man and Cap. Kang could have been great, if they rolled it out faster and more consistently. Why was Kang not even mentioned in Dr Strange? Why wasn't he mentioned or had a small part in Spiderman? You had tons of oppurninties to bring him in as a big player, instead you used.. Ant Man and Loki as the only vehicles for him. Just stupid

Last edited:
Top Bottom