• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers |OT| - Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same

Elcid

Banned
UuXbWL3.png

Marvel Avengers
Release Date: 09/04/2020
Early Access: 09/01/2020

Platforms

kAEtk1O.jpg
ed89Rea.png
A3dcN2P.jpg

U5oNd9N.png

Standard – $59.99

Digital Deluxe (PS4 Exclusive) - $69.99
This edition includes:
  • Unique Ms. Marvel Nameplate
  • 1000 credits for customization
  • 72-hour early access to the game
Uf7Yg2T.jpg

Deluxe - $79.99
This edition includes:
  • Obsidian Outfit Pack
  • Obsidian Themed Nameplates
  • 72-hour early access
D0QCstN.jpg

Earth’s Mightiest Edition – $199.99
This edition includes:
  • Marvel's Avengers: Deluxe Edition
  • Exclusive SteelBook®
  • Black Widow Belt Buckle
  • Iron Man’s Prototype Armor Blueprints
  • Mjolnir Keychain
  • 6” Hulk Bobble Head
  • Honorary Avenger Pin
  • 5x7 Avengers Day Group Photo
scepCqu.jpg

Pre-Order Bonus

MVTOzF9.jpg

Marvel Legacy Outfit Pack
Ms. Marvel “Talk to the Hand” emote
Exclusive Dynamic PSN Theme (Playstation only)
Nameplate Exclusive for Pre-Orders

yGUjSVQ.png

wD2DOss.png

Captain America (Steve Rogers) – Voiced by Jeff Schine
Hulk (Bruce Banner) – Voiced by Darin De Paul and Troy Baker
Iron Man (Anthony Stark) – Voiced by Nolan North
Thor (Thor Odinson) – Voiced by Travis Willingham
Miss Marvel (Kamala Khan) – Voiced by Sandra Saad
Black Widow (Natasha Romanova) – Voiced by Laura Bailey

Future Characters
Hawkeye (Clint Barton) – Sometime shortly after launch
Spider-Man (Peter Parker) – Releasing Q1 2021

fhrwQbI.png

Marvel's Avengers begins during A-Day, a celebratory day for the Avengers coinciding with the unveiling of their new headquarters and helicarrier. After a tragedy resulting in death and destruction, the Avengers are blamed for the incident. "Five years later, with all Superheroes outlawed and the world in peril, the only hope is to reassemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

Campaign Content
  • Reassemble Campaign – The original Avengers story that follows Kamala Khan as she sets out to reassemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.
  • Avengers Initiative – The Avengers Initiative is at the heart of our expanding world, where you can jump into online co-op. Here you can continue to hone your team while playing through an interconnected series of stories, missions, and personal hero arcs. The Avengers Initiative will evolve over time with the free addition of new heroes, villains, regions, and gear, for years to come.
ahcEFuP.png

Types of Missions in-game
  • H.A.R.M. Rooms – Holographic Augmented Reality Machine Rooms – Virtual Reality training rooms you can tackle solo, with AI, or with player companions. Basically, wave after wave of mobs.
  • War Zones – Missions you can play with up to 4 heroes, either AI or companion players, or both. Each hero will have unique traversal methods in the environments. A HUD will point out mission objectives and points of interest, including in-game loot boxes. Missions range from 10 minutes to two hours. These include drop zones, villain sectors, hives, faction missions, and vaults.
  • Faction Missions – In addition to reassembling the Avengers, players will help rebuild Outposts for their allies. SHIELD suffered greatly after the disbanding of the Avengers, and the Resistance formed as a direct result of AIMs increasingly authoritarian activity worldwide. Players can take part in missions to provide these Factions intel, supplies, and defend them from AIM attacks.
  • Drop Zones – Drop Zones are short missions with a single objective, such as defending allies or sabotaging an AIM structure. These missions are great for quick play sessions, and for replaying to gain rewards.
  • Villain Sectors – Villain Sector missions culminate with a boss fight, such as notable Marvel villains working in tandem with AIM, or one of the organization’s extra-deadly constructs.
  • Iconic Mission – Character specific missions, driven by one character, but matchmaking and AI are still included as supports.
  • SHIELD Vaults – Vaults are large explorable spaces that take some legwork to uncover. To access a Vault you first have to locate the coordinates from hidden SHIELD caches around the world. Once you’ve found the entrance, you must fight your way inside and breach the vault before you reap the rewards!
  • Hives: Hives are AIM strongholds located throughout the world, the Avengers must uncover their location and fight their way through and a gauntlet of increasingly challenging AIM defenses in order to disable them.
9pUOQOy.png

EWDXop9.jpg

1. How long is the campaign?
    1. According to an interview in 2019, 10-12 hours for the main campaign if you ignore all side quests, but new characters like Hawkeye will extend the campaign with his own storyline. ~30 hours if you go doing side quests. There are also at least 80 missions for launch.
  2. Can I do the entire game online?
    1. Almost. Some missions have to be done solo until you unlock the war table.
  3. Do I have to play online?
    1. No. You can play with AI companions, but you need to level each character separately if you intend to do that.
  4. Is there couch co-op?
    1. No. Online only, sorry!
  5. Are there QTEs in the game?
    1. The only QTEs in the game are seen during the intro mission to introduce each individual character. Besides that, no QTEs have been seen in the beta. It is possible there are QTEs somewhere in the campaign content, but it is unknown.
  6. Is this a micro transaction monster?
    1. As of right now there is a marketplace where you can buy stuff with credits. You can also farm credits using daily character challenges and weekly challenges to complete the individual character challenge card. There are also units which can be used to buy items at an in-game vendors. Credits are priced at 500 for $5.00. So 100 credits=1.00 USD. You can buy packs of 500, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000. The larger packs include bonus credits.
  7. Wait what’s a challenge card?
    1. Every character has a challenge card, they cap at level 40. Each level in your challenge card, which you get from either paying credits to skip levels, or by completing daily and weekly challenges for that character, will unlock something such as more credits, resource packs, emotes, nameplates, and skins. There are also premium levels which require credits to unlock, a total of 1000, which can be farmed in game, but the base six characters will not require this unlock.
  8. What does endgame look like?
    1. We don’t know yet, but we do know that raids will be in the final game. Modok will likely be a raid boss as he is touted as the main enemy of the game.
  9. Does my gear affect my appearance?
    1. No. Your skin is your appearance. I wouldn’t want gear affecting my Joe Fixit Hulk skin.
  10. Can you play online?
    1. Once you unlock the war table you can matchmake to your heart’s content, including campaign missions. 4 player cooperative play is the only thing confirmed so far.
  11. What is available to buy in the game?
    1. You can buy nameplates, which are basically your character badge in lobbies/profile. Emotes to use in-game. Takedowns which are flashy finishers to take down a mob. Lastly, character skins.
  12. Do I have to pay money for new characters and campaign content?
    1. The developers have confirmed all in-game content such as missions, raids, etc. are free as well as new characters. You do not need to buy a season pass or character pass or anything like that.
  13. How many skill trees does each character have?
    1. The developers have confirmed each character has three unique skill trees. Over 50+ skills per character.
  14. What is the max character level?
    1. Currently level 50.
  15. How many enemy types are there?
    1. Over 50 enemy types, not all are robots.
  16. What exclusives are there for players?
    1. Playstation players are getting the following exclusive treatment:
      1. Exclusive community challenges
      2. Early access, 30 days, to legendary outfits, Solaris Armor Iron Man, Saboteur Black Widow, Royal Aesirian Thor, Battle Suit Miss Marvel, Champion Hulk
      3. Spider-Man in 2021
  17. What are all the promotional items for this game?
    1. Verizon and Virgin skins (https://i.redd.it/auuqqm5ouog51.jpg) – this was a limited stock thing for Verizon which is now over.
    2. Intel skins (https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/redeem/public/v3/partners/placeholder-intel.jpg) – You need to buy a CPU?
    3. 5GUM (https://i.redd.it/bsa5xk7ismh51.jpgthanks to nomercyvideo from Reddit)
      1. Unlocks the following items in order
      2. 6 Marvel in-game Nameplates
      3. Square-Enix Store reward points
      4. Tailsman of Spectacle Legendary Artifact
      5. 50,000 Marvel Insider points
      6. 150 units of In-game currency
      7. 6 Playstation Avatars
      8. Kamala Khan bubblegum Emote
      9. Marvel's Avengers Playstation Theme.
    4. Funko Pop
      1. Comes with some Funko nameplates, you can buy it here (https://www.gamestop.com/toys-colle...arvels-avengers-only-at-gamestop/11097627.htm)
    5. The Marvel Avengers website, sign up to all the media crap there and you get six nameplates (https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/)
  18. Can I get the promotional material in any other way?
    1. At the moment we do not know.
  19. Is there any additional content for the storyline?
    1. Marvel created a few one-off issues to support the storyline of the game. You can buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785194657/?tag=neogaf0e-20
  20. Is there a roadmap for the game?
    1. Yes, it has not been publicly revealed yet, but it is at least a year’s worth of content. Crystal Dynamics has already said they are planning to support the game for many years.
  21. Are there any MCU skins coming?
    1. Maybe.
  22. Will we see any X-Men, Inhumans, Fantastic Four, or other Marvel universe characters in here?
    1. Maybe? The developers have said no one is off the table, it is more a question of whether or not they fit in this new universe. She-Hulk is rumored.
  23. How does loot, gear and upgrades work?
    1. Gear has rarity levels, common (gray), uncommon (green), rare (blue), epic (epic), and legendary (orange). You can upgrade them with resources you get from doing missions and beating mobs. Uncommon gear can be boosted three levels, rare can be boosted five levels, epic and legendary can be boosted ten levels.
    2. Exotics
      1. With that said, we also do have other ways we've found to expand the loot system. For example, we have these things called Exotic Artifacts, which are objects pulled from the reaches and all-corners of Marvel lore that you find in all the obscure comics of all genres. They allow us to even pull things in from the Doctor Strange universe and make ties to that. And those actually you do visually see, because when you activate them, you'll materialise them and you'll see the visuals." Thanks yet_another_alt yet_another_alt .
    3. Patterns
      1. Patterns are earned through high-level crates, activities, Faction Missions, and increasing your Faction level. They can be used at Fabrication Machines to create an Outfit or Nameplate.
  24. The combat seems generic and shallow, am I just mashing an attack through waves of mobs?
    1. The combat system is anything but shallow. You just need to level a bit and experiment with each character. As you level and unlock more abilities, you unlock more combo possibilities for each character.
  25. This game seems easy. Is there only one difficulty setting?
    1. Each mission has settings for difficulty, and it does not affect the gear drops.
      1. Challenge I – Decreases enemy power levels.
      2. Challenge II – The standard difficulty.
      3. Challenge III – Increases enemy power levels.
      4. Challenge IV – Further increases enemy power levels.
  26. How is power level and character level different?
    1. Character level determines your skill points in your character and base stats, and power level is an average of your item level.
  27. But muh next gen?
    1. Avengers is cross-play between current gen and next gen for people on Xbox One and Xbox Series One X or whatever the hell it is and cross-play for PS4 to PS5.The current gen to next gen upgrade is free though for people who buy the current gen game.
  28. What are the accessibility options available?
    1. Too many to list but you can find them all here! (https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/accessibility/)
  29. Anything else?
    1. Yes, here are the blog posts that go in more specific details than what is already above.
      1. https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/dayone/
      2. https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/co-opplay/
      3. https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/gearandcosmetics/

This is my first OT ever.
ee2c0f5cb35945d1f526f79ada959e66.jpg

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I have a friend hard selling me on this, he was a big Destiny fanboy and plays Strike Force almost religiously even though I don’t think he has ever read a comic book.

Is it worth it?

Elcid

Banned
I have a friend hard selling me on this, he was a big Destiny fanboy and plays Strike Force almost religiously even though I don’t think he has ever read a comic book.

Is it worth it?
I personally loved it from the beta and preordered it after playing the beta for like 6 hours straight. Suggest watching gameplay videos and see if you like it.

Kagey K

Banned
I personally loved it from the beta and preordered it after playing the beta for like 6 hours straight. Suggest watching gameplay videos and see if you like it.
I played through the beta up until the Hulk part and then shut it off because I was bored.

It felt the same but with different animations flaring up on my screen.

I was hoping there was something more I was missing.

Elcid

Banned
I played through the beta up until the Hulk part and then shut it off because I was bored.

It felt the same but with different animations flaring up on my screen.

I was hoping there was something more I was missing.
If you didn't get to the war table then yeah you missed quite a bit. The characters change pretty dramatically as you level them so the combat gets very interesting and fun. The villain sectors based off the one example we had in the beta are going to be a lot of fun. Hives/raids are something to look forward to in the future too.

Nice OT but a minor correction on
Does my gear affect my appearance?
  1. No. Your skin is your appearance. I wouldn’t want gear affecting my Joe Fixit Hulk skin.
The game is supposed to have another tier of gear, Exotics. They're unique items based on artifacts in Marvel lore that do show up on your character.

Elcid

Banned
Nice OT but a minor correction on

The game is supposed to have another tier of gear, Exotics. They're unique items based on artifacts in Marvel lore that do show up on your character.
Thanks I can update it, but where'd you find that? I couldn't find that detailed here.

Thanks I can update it, but where'd you find that? I couldn't find that detailed here.
Found the actual interview
With that said, we also do have other ways we've found to expand the loot system. For example, we have these things called Exotic Artifacts, which are objects pulled from the reaches and all-corners of Marvel lore that you find in all the obscure comics of all genres. They allow us to even pull things in from the Doctor Strange universe and make ties to that. And those actually you do visually see, because when you activate them, you'll materialise them and you'll see the visuals.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Great OT Elcid Elcid

I was a huge Destiny fan back in the day, and I really liked the beta and the way each hero felt different and deep on gameplay strategies, but I'm still struggling with the missions types, because for me all of them, taking apart the story missions and the one with the gigantic crab boss at the end, seemed exactly the same? Wave after wave after wave.

Plus, micro-transactions. This game seems extremely milking fitting for them.

And making the steelbook exclusive to collectors only is a cheap-shot.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

The "$10 Battle Pass for Every Superhero After Launch" news ( https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202..._battle_pass_for_every_superhero_after_launch ) has put me off even further.

The wise move at the moment seems to be wait for a Game of the Year/Ultimate edition in 12 months time.

At the bare minimum... wait for reviews.

You get enough credits to buy those battle passes from the initial hero cards. Additionally you get the credits back if you complete the new hero cards. You don't have to spend any money if you save your credits and don't spend them recklessly in the marketplace. This is clear to anyone who actually reads the blog post and not websites trying to sensationalize this as much as possible for clicks.

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/gearandcosmetics/

Last edited:
You get enough credits to buy those battle passes from the initial hero cards. Additionally you get the credits back if you complete the new hero cards. You don't have to spend any money if you save your credits and don't spend them recklessly in the marketplace. This is clear to anyone who actually reads the blog post and not websites trying to sensationalize this as much as possible for clicks.

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/gearandcosmetics/

I’ve seen a few people crying about this shIt and I don’t even understand it.

JimSterling actually just made a video crying about it....Because that’s what he does...makes money crying about companies making money.

it seems like a awesome system in my opinion....people that play the game wants the company to continue to make money so they make content for the game......and still get all the DLC free.

what do people not understand about this?

GreyHand23

I’ve seen a few people crying about this shIt and I don’t even understand it.

JimSterling actually just made a video crying about it....Because that’s what he does...makes money crying about companies making money.

it seems like a awesome system in my opinion....people that play the game wants the company to continue to make money so they make content for the game......and still get all the DLC free.

what do people not understand about this?

It’s honestly just people crying to cry. Those same people play plenty of games that have micro transactions. If you want this game to continue to pump out content it has to make business sense. It’s popular right now to hate on the game so that’s what some people are doing. Now if the game releases and it’s terrible, that’s a different situation entirely and it would deserve very harsh criticism.

I'll ignore the battle pass stuff. I never buy into all the paid extras in games. I can enjoy the game without putting more money into it. I wil focus on earning rewards through the hero challenge cards.

GreyHand23

I'll ignore the battle pass stuff. I never buy into all the paid extras in games. I can enjoy the game without putting more money into it. I wil focus on earning rewards through the hero challenge cards.

The hero challenge cards are the battle pass. You won’t have to pay anything if you just do the challenges and save the credits you get from the initial free challenge cards for when new challenge cards come out.

The hero challenge cards are the battle pass. You won’t have to pay anything if you just do the challenges and save the credits you get from the initial free challenge cards for when new challenge cards come out.
Thanks for the clarification. I misread part of it. I'll do the challenges and save credits from the free challenge cards.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
We’ve activated the premium Hero Challenge Card rewards for all 6 starting heroes at launch, so you can earn and enjoy all content across the 40 tiers for free. When we introduce new Hero Challenge Cards for post-launch heroes, the cost to activate the premium rewards will be 1,000 Credits.

We want to reward players for their time, so once you activate the premium rewards of a Hero Challenge Card for 1,000 Credits, you can earn everything on that card, including more Credits! If you complete all challenges on your Hero Challenge Card, not only will you earn back your 1,000 Credit activation cost, all the content you’ll earn has a value of over 12,500 Credits. Remember, these rewards deliver fun in-game cosmetic enhancements and effects, but they do not provide a gameplay advantage.

Not gonna lie, this is actually a pretty neat mechanic. If you're clever enough and manage your credits well you don't have to spend a dime to activate post-launch heroes. And they even return you the 1000 credits if you complete all challenges.

Now I just need to see the % of credit that freely drops in the game during activities.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Thanks! I have a meeting now but afterwards I'll update it.
The title is subtle but

200.gif
Thank you :D
The "$10 Battle Pass for Every Superhero After Launch" news ( https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202..._battle_pass_for_every_superhero_after_launch ) has put me off even further.

The wise move at the moment seems to be wait for a Game of the Year/Ultimate edition in 12 months time.

At the bare minimum... wait for reviews.

The 10 dollar battle pass is for optional cosmetics/nameplates/emotes and gives you more credits, aka your money back. It's only for post launch characters, and they're giving you an opportunity enough for what, 12 battle passes worth of characters? A GOTY edition likely isn't going to change that model....especially since all the actual DLC that is not cosmetic is free. Sorry but your approach makes zero sense.

Regular edition releases physically on Friday 9/4 not 9/3
That's why you don't write stuff at 3am. Thanks I fixed.
OT really should have been:

Avengers OT: Marvel has run out of GaaS.

tenor.gif

I really did entertain it but to be honest it's a stupid fucking title and not clever at all despite what you may think.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
tenor.gif

I really did entertain it but to be honest it's a stupid fucking title and not clever at all despite what you may think.

You really don’t have to be such a huge asshole about your stupid OT dude.
Last time I posted it it received a ton of of likes.

My post was a JOKE also, ok?

PRO TIP: don’t be an asshole about stupid things.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
You really don’t have to be such a huge asshole about your stupid OT dude.
Last time I posted it it received a ton of of likes.

PRO TIP: don’t be an asshole about stupid things.
Hey, I'm a playful asshole if it's of any consolation.
tenor.gif

I ain't even mad, just tired.

I just saw that this game doesn’t support cross play. That sucks because I play on PS4 and have a couple of buddies that play on Xbox. Cross play should be mandatory next gen.

Character design blog for Widow is up. I guess they're doing one each day before release?

Elcid

Banned
Character design blog for Widow is up. I guess they're doing one each day before release?
Love the concept arts, Thor especially looks badass.
SQEX_Blog_Thor_Art3-ouno15ydb.jpg

More Viking than Valhalla. Black Widow’s final looks better than the concept for sure. Man I am chomping at the bit to play this tomorrow.

Edit: Added Thor gameplay.

Last edited:

Exede

I hope it has crossplay, so I can play as Spiderman against xbox and PC players. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Theres so much wrong in this small sentence. You play with others in coop not against players. Exclusives like spider-man in this game shouldn't be a thing at all and it's bad for gamers. I'll play on the playststion but i'm not full of schadenfreude for the exclusive.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Theres so much wrong in this small sentence. You play with others in coop not against players. Exclusives like spider-man in this game shouldn't be a thing at all and it's bad for gamers. I'll play on the playststion but i'm not full of schadenfreude for the exclusive.

Seriously though, not even buying the game. :messenger_sunglasses: But would love to see that encounter.

Cap's character blog:

Also if anyone didn't see my post in the other thread, the challenge cards give 1300 credits. So 7800 credits if you get the initial ones maxed out. Estimates are that it take between 3-4 weeks of doing dailies/weeklies to get one to max. Seems pretty doable especially since there's no seasons so there's no pressure to actually do it that fast.

SCB3

Cap's character blog:

Also if anyone didn't see my post in the other thread, the challenge cards give 1300 credits. So 7800 credits if you get the initial ones maxed out. Estimates are that it take between 3-4 weeks of doing dailies/weeklies to get one to max. Seems pretty doable especially since there's no seasons so there's no pressure to actually do it that fast.

Are the dailies and Weeklies per character or account?

Are the dailies and Weeklies per character or account?
Each character has their own set of daily/weekly challenges. Their are other dailies/weeklies that are account wide, mostly for faction rep and resources but I imagine most people are more concerned about the character cards when they ask that question. There's also community challenges where all the players contribute.

Top Bottom