• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers |OT| - Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same

Kagey K

Banned
Wait...so as you are playing the single player campaign, it also includes some MP as part of the campaign? I wonder if you don't want to have others if you end up having AI partners instead. I just got to the part where the girl calls her dad on the pay phone how much farther than that till I get to the War Table?
3 more missions I believe. (Maybe 4) You are approximately half way to it.

Yeah it uses AI teammates if you don’t want to play with other people.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
They really nailed Kamalas fangirl personality and some of her quirkier traits. I always liked her books, and would like to see them take her story where she gets jaded and creates the Champions as a side story while the main Avengers continue theirs. (A bit ambitious for Day -3, I know, but a person can dream)

I do wish that gear had a physical representation on the character. I get they wanted to stay in line with costumes, but injustice did it well. Hate the idea of getting cool gear pieces nobody can see.

GreyHand23

They really nailed Kamalas fangirl personality and some of her quirkier traits. I always liked her books, and would like to see them take her story where she gets jaded and creates the Champions as a side story while the main Avengers continue theirs. (A bit ambitious for Day -3, I know, but a person can dream)

I do wish that gear had a physical representation on the character. I get they wanted to stay in line with costumes, but injustice did it well. Hate the idea of getting cool gear pieces nobody can see.

That was Marvel’s decision. Nothing the developers can do about that.

Kagey K

Banned
That was Marvel’s decision. Nothing the developers can do about that.
I feel like it was more the developers thought they couldn’t sell costumes if everyone had cool gear, but I can’t prove that and have to take their word at face value instead.

ManaByte

Deluxe version unlocks in half an hour, physical and Xbox digital players who “moved to New Zealand” have been able to play most of the day.

Nah you didn't need to "move to New Zealand". They turned on the servers earlier today. Reviewers got codes on Friday, others got a physical copy today.

Elcid

Banned
Stayed up to start the game, it is so damn good. Gonna regret it tomorrow at the office but worth it, really loving the story so far. You can tell the developers really love the characters. My wife was just spectating the whole time talking about how well done Thor (her favorite character) was.

Kagey K

Banned
Stayed up to start the game, it is so damn good. Gonna regret it tomorrow at the office but worth it, really loving the story so far. You can tell the developers really love the characters. My wife was just spectating the whole time talking about how well done Thor (her favorite character) was.
When he meets you at the fanfic festival it’s hard not to side with him. He just seems so nice.

Kagey K

Banned
Guys.

Don't buy this shit. You'll be sending the wrong message.
I didnt want to, but some friends talked me into it.

As of right now (obviously still in the honeymoon period) im glad they did.

Ill see how long this lasts. (I initially planned on buying it once I had a next gen console and it was dirt cheap on Black Friday.)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Guys.

Don't buy this shit. You'll be sending the wrong message.
Well it’s their money, if they liked what they saw or played then it’s their choice to buy it same way its my choice not buy this game.

GymWolf

I have 2 questions:

Can you only play the campaign with the indian mr fantastic rip off? Is the plot created around her chara? Or you use her only in the introduction and the you can use who you want with cutscene created for every pg?

Can someone explain to me the loop of this game? Is it exactly like destiny or anthem but in form of third persona action game? What do you do in main mission? Sidequest? There is a hub? How big are the areas? How long is a mission usually? Is there enough stuff to powerup?

(Also, is there any ragdoll in this game or enemies fly away and land like stiff piece of woods?)

Thanks.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Hulk is unbelievably boring and bad.
I'm about to gouge my eyes out and gas myself.
I cannot believe what I'm seeing.
Double tap circle to properly dodge is the most retarded thing I've seen in 2020. It's worse than corona.
I cannot believe how bad this is, I cannot believe how talentless the hack developers are.
It's like the absolute opposite of Metal Gear Rising or other Platinum Games games.
Unbelievable.
Shit dodge, shit animations, shit hitstun.
Fucking manlets hitstunning me and I can't avoid the subsequent laser that nukes my health.
Truly awful.
Not gonna judge the other chars I'm in the beginning of the story.
There are some segments in this game that I would rate 1.5/10 at BEST. Unbelievably bad.
Not the whole game, but those segments, what in the fuck have I just played.
Guys seriously what's the suicide hotline.
This is an embarrassment to all of gaming.
It's an insult to the PlayStation platform.
It's truly vomit inducing.
Sometimes my attacks stun the enemy, sometimes they don't, making it impossible to predict a consequence.
Absolutely retarded attack homing and tracking. What in the fuck.
Janky movement too.
Shielding enemies are just annoying. OK so my heavy attack gets shielded but the shitty rock I throw breaks your shield OK ah hah fuck you.
Jesus.
This game better step up within 90 minutes or I'm deleting that trash.
Again, I cannot believe what I AM SEEING RIGHT NOW.
It's that bad.

GreyHand23

I have 2 questions:

Can you only play the campaign with the indian mr fantastic rip off? Is the plot created around her chara? Or you use her only in the introduction and the you can use who you want with cutscene created for every pg?

Can someone explain to me the loop of this game? Is it exactly like destiny or anthem but in form of third persona action game? What do you do in main mission? Sidequest? There is a hub? How big are the areas? How long is a mission usually? Is there enough stuff to powerup?

(Also, is there any ragdoll in this game or enemies fly away and land like stiff piece of woods?)

Thanks.

She's the main character of the campaign, but you do get to play others depending on the story. If you're just determined to hate her no matter how well she's implemented, there's nothing really here for you. The story campaign is like a traditional mostly linear uncharted/tomb raider game. The co-op which takes place after the campaign so if you choose to go directly there will spoil the story is alot like destiny or anthem. You matchmake with others or play with AI in 80+ different types of missions with varying lengths between 5 minutes and 2 hours. There is extensive loot and power grind. There will be end game type missions and even a raid that is coming in a few weeks. If you watch today's war table, they will be showing end game stuff and a new hero. I believe there is rag doll physics.

Dibils2k

Double tap circle to properly dodge is the most retarded thing I've seen in 2020. It's worse than corona.
I cannot believe how bad this is, I cannot believe how talentless the hack developers are.
It's like the absolute opposite of Metal Gear Rising or other Platinum Games games.
Unbelievable.
Fucking manlets hitstunning me and I can't avoid the subsequent laser that nukes my health.
Truly awful.
There are some segments in this game that I would rate 1.5/10 at BEST. Unbelievably bad.
Sometimes my attacks stun the enemy, sometimes they don't, making it impossible to predict a consequence.
Janky movement too.
Shielding enemies are just annoying. OK so my heavy attack gets shielded but the shitty rock I throw breaks your shield OK ah hah fuck you.
Jesus.
It's that bad.
no no no, tell us how you REALLY feel

GreyHand23

Unbelievable.
Truly awful.
Janky movement too.
Jesus.
It's that bad.

Two pieces of advice. Jumping and using Rage meter(R2) is your friend with Hulk. Hulk is a fairly simple character in terms of mechanics to start out with, but because he's big and moves kind of weirdly, he takes more time to get used to than other characters. The big wind up heavy attack to break shields is not good because it takes too long. I would invest in the air heavy attack. You can also pick up a rock and instead of throwing it, run up and hit them with it, or actually jump and use heavy attack and that will also break shields. If you get into trouble use your L1 ability to gain alot of armor and youll be unkillable for about 15-20 seconds. You can also lower difficulty of the game if you're really struggling. I was able to get past this on brutal without dying so it definitely helps to understand the mechanics and there is a skill gap here.

SCB3

Unbelievable.
Truly awful.
Janky movement too.
Jesus.
It's that bad.

065.gif

GymWolf

Unbelievable.
Truly awful.
Janky movement too.
Jesus.
It's that bad.
If i remember well, the guy behind the combat in this game is the same who made the combat in gow 2018...

How can it be so bad after one of the best melee combat of this gen??

Last edited:

Valentino

So... much... cringe.

I've always loathed the way "bullies" are represented in games. I know that sounds odd. But the introduction of some ass hole or some nasty person just comes across as not realistic or making sense. "hey your in the way this is for real fans"................... I don't buy it. Even in the a world where a hulk exists.

Dibils2k

I've always loathed the way "bullies" are represented in games. I know that sounds odd. But the introduction of some ass hole or some nasty person just comes across as not realistic or making sense. "hey your in the way this is for real fans"................... I don't buy it. Even in the a world where a hulk exists.
AND he looks like he has a girlfriend?! come on, there is only so much suspension of disbelief one can have

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's not. Angry poster is just a bit shit at the game.
Tbh, when the beta came out i heard a lot of people talking shit about the gameplay, he is not nearly the only one.

Not that i fully believe any faction until i try the game myself.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
3p9kef.jpg

Guys, please don’t buy this game it has micro transactions and is a GaaS game! Who cares that they only charge us for cosmetics, they’re clearly trying to financially rape us. A game has buttons in 2020 and voice actors, come on this is pure garbage. Don’t cave please!

Played the PC Beta... this game is the manifestation of "bland"... Nothing, not the graphics, nor the characters, nor the gameplay had me. There was not one second, where I even thought "hey, neat". I tried about 2 hours to get myself to react over the "meh"-level and nothing happened.

Pretty sad.

SCB3

I have heard those exact words used before though, its a bit tropey and overacted, but it has happened to people

Hostile_18

Banned
I've never seen so many people look for reasons to hate on a game. But I'm not that surprised some people on here were hating on Crash Team Racing for having purchasable currency despite getting content worthy of an expansion pack for free (around 10 extra tracks and 20 odd characters)

If the base offering is good then other considerations should be secondary. I've only played about the first hour but the whole time I had a massive smile on my face. The fan service is unbelievable. No way I can reach a verdict yet but initially it has the potential to be a 8 or 9 out of 10 easily.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
V Valentino
They exist dude even if you’ve never had the pleasure of dealing with them. As someone who’s done it, and witnessed it, the only difference is in real life there’s usually more obscenities and slurs involved. On a side note, that scene had me in love with Cap already. They really did such a good job with him.

Last edited:
3p9kef.jpg

Guys, please don’t buy this game it has micro transactions and is a GaaS game! Who cares that they only charge us for cosmetics, they’re clearly trying to financially rape us. A game has buttons in 2020 and voice actors, come on this is pure garbage. Don’t cave please!

Wow you're so cool mr corporate shill. It's been discussed by death why th mtx in the game are quite an issue but feel free to act cool and ignorant. Hope you enjoy your character battle pass! lmfao.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
when are reviews hitting?
I just looked up reviews and I saw one that was 6/10......but then realized that it was for the beta review. IT"S A BETA!! Why review that? The header only said 6/10 when I googled Marve's Avengers Review. I didn't click the link. Clickbait. Stupid site. You don't review beta's, only impressions. Idiots!!!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I have 2 questions:

Thanks.
I never knew who Khamala Khan was until this game. I grew up with Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel., who got her powers from Captain Marvel (who was a man). I cannot understand why they keep throwing other people into the role of an established superhero (Thor, Spiderman, Iron Man....etc). Just create a NEW hero and move on. Especially if it's for gender, race and ethnic diversity.

edit**** Now that I’ve played a few hours I really like her character and powers. And she’s fangirl as well. Enjoying the game a lot!

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
I never knew who Khamala Khan was until this game. I grew up with Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel., who got her powers from Captain Marvel (who was a man). I cannot understand why they keep throwing other people into the role of an established superhero (Thor, Spiderman, Iron Man....etc). Just create a NEW hero and move on. Especially if it's for gender, race and ethnic diversity.
She was created during the Obama era which says a lot. But I agree with you 110% but what’s done is done and a lot of people like the character. She’s actually a lot of fun and works well within the universe/storyline.

GreyHand23

Just because you’ve never heard of them doesn’t mean they aren’t established. The game was made with feedback directly from Marvel. The comic books are all over the place so Marvel itself would be the best authority on these matters. Kamala is very likeable in the game and I can almost guarantee Carol Danvers will be playable at some point.

Got up and played 3 hours before I had to go to work....paying for it now.

the controls to me feel tighter....playing it on hard and it feels good. For the life of me I cants are how people don’t like the Hulk....love playing him.

Thor played a lot better in that first part this time than in the beta.

There is a part in the beginning that reminded me of the Miles morales parts in Spider-Man that I didn’t like but after that I really like the story.

cant wait to get a full day of diving into this.

Top Bottom