• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wonderful 101 to launch on PS4/Xbox One/Switch via Kickstarter, announcement on Feb 3

Jooxed

Gold Member
Can't wait to try the game! ...more fuel to the fire

Fbh Fbh I guess this was the interesting twist...

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I don't know anything about this game but the more news and rumors we get, the more it seems exclusives are becoming a blur.

Blond

Banned
Why Kickstarter though?

Probably to check interest before potentially porting a game that sold less than 50K copies?

Edit: Best estimate for actual sells was 360k but that take with a grain of salt since only VGChartz has that number and they've been wrong A LOT.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
My 2 cents on this?

TW101 Switch port is happening.

The Kickstarter page is for new self published Platinum games they said they are going to announce in 2020, not TW101.

It is possible though that Nintendo only owns the right for TW101 and not potential sequels so in that case they could release through kickstarter a multiplatform TW101 sequel.

Wait, so Nintendo doesn't own the IP? That's rare.

As it happened in the past, they probably still had to ask Nintendo to allow this. It is surprising to see the other two consoles included though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banned
I don't know anything about this game but the more news and rumors we get, the more it seems exclusives are becoming a blur.

that was always the case, especially when it comes to generational borders.
as soon as the next gen rolls around, former exclusives often rerelease on new hardware by different manufacturers.

exclusives nowadays actually stay exclusive for longer then usual... back in the day Vice City was absolutely seen as a PS2 exclusive, even tho 3 months later it came to PC and 1 year later it was on Xbox (In a version so much better you could call it a remaster honestly)
MGS2 quickly became multiplatform with the release of the Substance version.
Resident Evil 4 was quickly ported to PS2 as well... and is now ON EVERYTHING!!! lol

so this is by no means anything new.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
P* best combat system. My favorite P* game.

I know a lot of people did not enjoy it but W101 is definitely one of those "but did you replay it?" sort of titles. Kamiya openly admitted that players should treat their first playthrough as a tutorial. Once you unlock everything and grasp the disparate mechanics, the game really clicks. Basic skills and mechanics were not explained in good detail (or at all), and menus were tucked behind menus, hiding away nuances that most players ended up skipping. It could definitely benefit from a UI overhaul.

Blond

Banned

I know a lot of people did not enjoy it but W101 is definitely one of those "but did you replay it?" sort of titles. Kamiya openly admitted that players should treat their first playthrough as a tutorial. Once you unlock everything and grasp the disparate mechanics, the game really clicks. Basic skills and mechanics were not explained in good detail (or at all), and menus were tucked behind menus, hiding away nuances that most players ended up skipping. It could definitely benefit from a UI overhaul.

I do think if they port this I wouldn't mind a few QOL improvements like not having to pay to unlock block, a hot button or weapon wheel for transformations and not hiding important mechanics for the sake of complexity. Event that money sink Europoa Universalis know that there's nothing with saying "You can do this, but it's up to you to figure out how deep it goes."

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I do think if they port this I wouldn't mind a few QOL improvements like not having to pay to unlock block, a hot button or weapon wheel for transformations and not hiding important mechanics for the sake of complexity. Event that money sink Europoa Universalis know that there's nothing with saying "You can do this, but it's up to you to figure out how deep it goes."
Other than the weapon wheel idea, I agree. The game is built from the ground up with the understanding that you will use the thumbstick (or the touch screen, blech :sick: ) to select weapon formations.

Last edited:

Cravis

I like the concept from what I have played of W101 but the controls just really turned me off. They just felt counter intuitive to me. I really do need to go back and give it a chance.

At some point games like these have to let the players figure stuff out for themselves by playing. It's a tough balance increasing complexity while not overwhelming people with information.

I think part of the problem is because people don't come into it expecting that much to learn.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Game was fun but was way too long for its own good. I wanted it to end hours before it did.

dacuk

Vawn

Banned
Every article I've seen lists only PS4 and Switch. I don't think Xbox is part of the deal.

I can't blame them after they were stabbed in the back by Microsoft over Scalebound.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
It is still a trademark of Nintendo...

Platinum created a Kickstarter account today.

yurinka

Since when Nintendo needs money to port a game? And since when releases their games in other consoles? I think this 'rumor' is bullshit.

Platinum created a Kickstarter account today.
Are you sure they made that account? Maybe some random troll made it.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Wait, so Nintendo doesn't own the IP? That's rare.
Well I remember during the Wii U era, Nintendo published a bunch of games but not all the time they remained exclusive.

Like Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge was exclusive at first but later went to PS3/360.
Lego City Undercover was also published by them but later ported to PS4/XBO.
And Devils Third got a PC release.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Well I remember during the Wii U era, Nintendo published a bunch of games but not all the time they remained exclusive.

Like Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge was exclusive at first but later went to PS3/360.

Agreed and publishing a game doesn't mean a company owns the IP.

Dane

All of those games were made by third party studios who actually held the IP since the beginning or it was license based. Devils Third was actually a Xbox 360 and PS3 game to be published by THQ, but after the bankruptcy, Valhalla had to get a new published, and decided to offer the game as a WiiU exclusive, NoA didn't even want to publish the game, it only decided later on due to pressure for only like ten thousand copies.

However, that doesn't mean Nintendo will let it away if it had more than an average joe timed exclusive contract, Devil's Third single player was never released on PC, and apparently Bayonetta 2 (and likely 3) can't be released on non Nintendo consoles because they financed most of the development and got the even the specific title rights.

Can someone explain what exactly makes this game garner the positive reception it gets from the internet? I personally really didn't enjoy it.

Happy for the folks who get to play this again though.

Neff

Can someone explain what exactly makes this game garner the positive reception it gets from the internet?

It's everything a video game should strive to be- fresh, surprising, thrilling, complete, varied, and highly endearing. They went the extra mile when making it and poured a ton of heart and soul into it. By the end of it you can't possibly ask for more. You've had your fill and then some, and every bite was delicious.

For fans of The Wonderful 101:

A magnificent article detailing the development of this masterpiece of a game. A treasure trove of unseen concepts, beta footage, etc...it's an obligatory read/watch for fans of The Wonderful 101.

Top Bottom