• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: RTX 50 series flagship model will have 24 GB GDDR7 with 28 Gbps speed and 512-bit interface

Finally, $2000 GPU with minimum 1kW PSU.

My current 4080 is alright, but I'm still feeling myself robbed after dropping solid $1000 for a GPU (price+local taxes)
Thats the reason I went with a 4070 Super. The performance per buck was way more attractive and it runs like a stabbed rat.

A 40% price difference for roughly 15 - 20% performance gain, yeah.... No.

I run Hogwarts Legacy on Ultra with all RT on. Except RT reflections. That hits performance hard.
Robocop runs at 60fps with DLSS and some settings lowered like shadows.
MW3 140+ fps maxed out with DLSS on Quality

No, the 4080 is overkill for me both performance and price wise. Im good.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
If the rumors are true. The RTX 50 should be configured as follows:

• GB202 - 512-bit bus, 24 GB VRAM, 1536 GB/s bandwidth;
This is unlikely, a 512bit interface would be 32GB of RAM using current memory density, it would have to be two different densities and one being of lower density than the current GDDR6 which is very unlikely for GDDR7.

512 bit = 32GB
448 bit = 28GB
384 bit = 24GB
320 bit = 20GB

Schmendrick

It´s seriously baffling to see how people here already seem to have accepted the new normal concerning the price structure Nvidia enforced as quasi-monopolist and just look forward to be allowed to once again overpay or sacrifice their firstborn to get their hands on a new card.....

b0uncyfr0

We go through this cycle every time :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Say to assume the upper-mid to high end line will be 256 still. Last i read, there wasnt much benefit from going to 384 bit.

SABRE220

The pain of being a freelancer, lol. But it's already paid off, so I'm just being grumpy.
If you dont mind me asking what kind of work do you do? Ive been wondering how I can skill myself for the shift in the industry towards ai currently in supply chain analytics.

Last edited:

Senua

It´s seriously baffling to see how people here already seem to have accepted the new normal concerning the price structure Nvidia enforced as quasi-monopolist and just look forward to be allowed to once again overpay or sacrifice their firstborn to get their hands on a new card.....
The enthusiast 90 crowd have shown they will pay up to 2k on marked up 4090s, you butter believe Nvidia saw that shit. People just really want the Nvidia feature set. I was going to buy an ada card but after the pricing I just couldn't justify it, and instead bought a used 3080 for £300. I will probably upgrade to a 50 card depending on pricing, vram and exclusive features. Nvidia got us by the balls bro

Last edited:

Rickyiez

I don't care, just give me a 5080 at $1000 that is also faster than 4090 and I will bite. Anything worse can F. Off Nvidia.

I don't think that is asking too much but knowing the current Nvidia it could be $1200 and slightly slower than 4090

Last edited:
5090 1.999€
IMG]

Pagusas

Elden Member
Might be the first generation I sit out in some time. The 4090 is just so much more powerful than all cards under it that I can't image the 5x00 series being a big jump. I'd love to be wrong, but also love to save 2 grand and be right.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don’t see why they can’t sell the founders edition cards at all retailers instead of just bestbuy or their website.
Or at least have a queue system like evga had.

I assume lots of folks are still on RTX 3090 like me and demand will be high.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Might be the first generation I sit out in some time. The 4090 is just so much more powerful than all cards under it that I can't image the 5x00 series being a big jump. I'd love to be wrong, but also love to save 2 grand and be right.
for gamig, id like to have 90 fps minimum in flights skmulator 2024 max settings in VR. 4090 with top cpu can only do 40-50 fps now (i haven't tried myself but read benchmarks)

for AI generation and training, it will be much faster and appreciated

Schmendrick

How quickly the 4090 sold out when it launched I think there is little doubt they will push the 5090 to $2000

They will keep pushing it until people like myself stop buying those prices
In times where 4090s are bought up en masse and get converted into AI Rack Components I think private consumers don`t matter anymore at all. In fact the whole gaming GPU sector has become a mere byproduct of their AI tech developments at this point, one glance at their earing reports makes that even more obvious.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In times where 4090s are bought up en masse and get converted into AI Rack Components I think private consumers don`t matter anymore at all. In fact the whole gaming GPU sector has become a mere byproduct of their AI tech developments at this point, one glance at their earing reports makes that even more obvious.
Sadly they don't care who the customer is

Shodai

Folks with the funds will because they can afford it. Just like they buy increasingly more expensive houses, cars, food, and so forth.

Your omission of ballooning costs associated with everything is also glaring. Such a myopic take breaks down with an once of scrutiny and discredits you.

Solidus_T

yet still be leagues ahead of AMD.
Why do people say this? It's not even true in terms of performance and value - the only things Nvidia has going for it is its proprietary technology and the fact that it has the highest performing card but for the highest price (and by a lot). Generally, most gamers will get a better value from recent AMD cards like the 7900 GRE, and I say this as a 3090 owner.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I am part of the problem allowing these companies to charge basically what they want.

Thing is I am soon to be 57 years old and have the funds to spend on things I want and being brutally honest I don't care who else can afford something that I want, I am too old to try and change the world of pricing.

I am not defending these companies tactics I simply don't care at this stage in my life.
Well, at your age, I wouldn't really care.

In my case, I also have a lot of disposable income, got no kids, and everything is paid off but I just grimaced when I went to my computer store and saw the receipt for the 4090. It's not even a question of, "can I afford it or not?" It's really, "WTF am I doing spending $1600 on a GPU when I was spending $650 on an equivalent part not that long ago?"

Last edited:

Schmendrick

I am part of the problem allowing these companies to charge basically what they want.

Thing is I am soon to be 57 years old and have the funds to spend on things I want and being brutally honest I don't care who else can afford something that I want, I am too old to try and change the world of pricing.

I am not defending these companies tactics I simply don't care at this stage in my life.
I don`t think there is a human being out there who doesn´t understand that notion, and if there is he`s lying.
We are all egoists by nature. But this kind of "I can so I don´t care" - thinking is not sustainable as it is sadly not limited to luxury goods like GPUs, but let`s not digress.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Can't really find a reason to go from my 4090 to a 5090 at this point. There isn't a single game I've played that I can't run maxed out at 4k/60+ fps.

Will likely wait for the 6090!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I don`t think there is a human being out there who doesn´t understand that notion, and if there is he`s lying.
We are all egoists by nature. But this kind of "I can so I don´t care" - thinking is not sustainable as it is sadly not limited to luxury goods like GPUs, but let`s not digress.
I don't think this is the attitude he has here. The man is simply 57 and is probably at a stage in his life where he has to pick his battles and wonders if it's truly worth it to fight this one when he knows damn well it'll be futile. Might as well enjoy himself. I can't say I blame him because I will probably think the same at that age. Not that he's like 90 or anything but I can imagine I will get grinded down quite a bit more before I reach my mid-50s.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Like many people here say, I can't find a logic reason to upgrade from my 4090, but I know that as soon as the 5090 arrives, i'm gonna start finding all sorts of "good reasons" to upgrade.

Schmendrick

I don't think this is the attitude he has here. The man is simply 57 and is probably at a stage in his life where he has to pick his battles and wonders if it's truly worth it to fight this one when he knows damn well it'll be futile. Might as well enjoy himself. I can't say I blame him because I will probably think the same at that age. Not that he's like 90 or anything but I can imagine I will get grinded down quite a bit more before I reach my mid-50s.
you make it sound like 57 year olds are decrepit mentally burnt out mummies who have only enough strength for one thing per day. I´m already dreading the big 4, would you please stop making it sound like lifes`s over at 50? :p
Pretending Season 5 GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:

Shodai

It takes a special kind of stupid to jump in defending the multi billion dollar company that just blew up their profit margins at your expense.....
They do it because they can and they can because of muppets like you.....well you and the AI craze that guarantees sales at whatever price Jensen feels at any given day.
Resorting to personal attacks is against this forums rules. You are coming off as angry and emotional, which makes discussion with you pointless.

I will simply say, I buy what I want because I can easily afford it. Spending is not an emotional decision for me.

Fredrik

How quickly the 4090 sold out when it launched I think there is little doubt they will push the 5090 to $2000

They will keep pushing it until people like myself stop buying those prices
Can’t wait to pay $3500 where I’m at!
I payed $2500 for my 4090. $5000+ for the whole PC. $3500 for my living room PC.
🤕
All payed by the earnings from the Nvidia stock tho! 2000+ percent up in 5 years 🚀

Kings Field

Bingo.

Props to you for being completely honest though. Life is fleeting. Aren’t you the guy who has multiple DualSense edges too? If so I hope you have lowered the haptics and disabled the adaptive triggers. This is not a speed run of your increasingly arthritic hands vs your remaining disposable income.

P.S. Still, stop enabling Nvidia
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Danknugz

people love to shame those who buy at launch but the reality is that people blow money on much worse things (drugs, clothes, hoookers etc)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Props to you for being completely honest though. Life is fleeting. Aren’t you the guy who has multiple DualSense edges too? If so I hope you have lowered the haptics and disabled the adaptive triggers. This is not a speed run of your increasingly arthritic hands vs your remaining disposable income.

P.S. Still, stop enabling Nvidia
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office
First thing I do is kill the triggers and lower the haptics, with the amount of surgeries I have had on my right arm and wrist they do in fact destroys my hands (the repercussions of throwing a million Baseballs in my life)

P.P.S.

Dont Blame Me Its Not My Fault GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

SmokSmog

Nice error in the title, 24GB VRAM with 512 bit bus is impossible.
Guys every memory controller has 32bit bus, you can connect up to two chips to one controller ( two chips mean clamshell mode)

512bit bus = 16*32bit
16 controllers = 16 or 32 chips ( 32 chips in clamshell mode)

Current chips are made in 1GB and 2GB densities

512bit bus with 16*1GB chips = 16GB
512bit bus with 16*2GB chips = 32GB
512bit bus with 16*3GB chips = 48GB
512bit bus with 16*4GB chips = 64gb

Clamshell mode

512bit bus with 32*1GB chips = 32GB
512bit bus with 32*2GB chips = 64GB
512bit bus with 32*3GB chips = 96GB
512bit bus with 32*4GB chips = 128GB

Micron announced 2GB and 3GB GDDR7 chips, but we don't know if 3GB/4GB GDDR7 chips will be available this year.

Why do people say this? It's not even true in terms of performance and value - the only things Nvidia has going for it is its proprietary technology and the fact that it has the highest performing card but for the highest price (and by a lot). Generally, most gamers will get a better value from recent AMD cards like the 7900 GRE, and I say this as a 3090 owner.
The proprietary technology and performance is what makes them the best cards. When you tack on the term value, you already know your getting a budget GPU that can’t out perform the premium tier GPU.

Garibaldi

I was gonna dive back in and upgrade the 3090 when the 50 series releases, but I might see if I can just last till the 60 series.

Allandor

wait a sec, nvidia does the same again. I though 8GB cards are a thing of the past at least for the next generation of video cards. So the next generation is lost again ... but I guess nvidia doesn't really want to go bigger in consumer pc market. The big chips are more or less reserved for AI cards.

Top Bottom