• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters

LakeOf9

Q3Fuz8j8sker4V54wNmHrQ.jpg

StereoVsn

Ray Tracing ruined gaming
We are now halving the FPS to have ray tracing
Clown Conancon2019 GIF by Team Coco
It can look really good in games that properly use it. So far that has been in Metro and Cyberpunk, lol.

Edit : Main thing i wish that you would have similar options to turn RTX off on consoles in same manner as on PCs. But that's on devs to provide.

A lot of folks would take better image quality with 60fps (or 40 to 60 with VRR) and have RTX off.

Last edited:
I wonder what reconstructing an 8k image would look like. Starting with 4k (or close to it) and reconstructing that to 8k must provide an insanely clean picture, because that is a lot of fidelity to start with.

Curious to see performance gains. Seems like less of jump in comparison to PS4 to PS4 Pro.

Considering the current PS5 price, I wonder if it will be around 799$ or 699$.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

We don't need native 4K. Waste. Of. Resources. 1440p/1800p reconstruction is plenty fine.

Especially when every PC gamer uses DLSS/FSR/XeSS, so why are we always falling back on the "native train" when it comes to consoles?
Because that $500 box needs to work miracles dammit

I wonder if that’s 60 active CUs or total? Most likely this ends up being 56 CU active.

If clock speeds stay the same then expect ~17Tflops, 19Tflops at 2.5Ghz.

Raster performance will be 50-60% over PS5 + improvements to memory/clock speeds, upgrade to RDNA3 dual issue SIMD, and whatever features Sony picks up from RDNA4.

Modest improvement overall, and this doesn’t sound like a $600 box. More likely this ends up at $500 and supports the disc drive add on from the slim.

Hudo

That 8K stuff makes it sound like bullshit. Unless the PS5 Pro is substantially more powerful (in which case, the jump from PS5 Pro to PS6 is gonna be even smaller than the jump from PS4 Pro to PS5 or the PS6 is gonna be ridiculously more powerful, in which case it will also be far more expensive).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS5 has 36 CUs. 2x would be 72.

This is looking like a 1.5x boost to graphics. Not the 2.3x boost we got with the PS4 Pro. Lets hope higher clocks and better RDNA3 RT performance gets them close to 2x.
Doubling CU count does not double performance. The more CUs you add beyond a point, the the performance of each of those CUs gets cut.

Memory bandwidth, IPC gains per clock (and clock speeds) (maybe higher or added cache) are how you boost the performance ratio higher than just slapping on CUs.

Last edited:
Sony probably gonna have a big showcase game for the Trinity like horizon zero dawn was for ps4 pro, so launch would be:
* 2 Ghost 2 Tsushima or SSM big new ip.
*ND will probably release tlou part 2 remake.
* Bungie's Marathon
* Platformer either Astrobot or another Sackboy

In addition to of course a select handful of patched games.

XesqueVara

I know that, it's just weird that Xbox locked the X at 1,8 when they could've gone way higher
But remember in 2020 when everyone was saying that the PS5 was overclocked because sony was panicking
It's mostly about trade-offs tbh. AMD ip is flexible as Fuck, PS4 pro was a Frankestein of GCN4 and Polaris.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wonder if that’s 60 active CUs or total? Most likely this ends up being 56 CU active.

If clock speeds stay the same then expect ~17Tflops, 19Tflops at 2.5Ghz.

Raster performance will be 50-60% over PS5 + improvements to memory/clock speeds, upgrade to RDNA3 dual issue SIMD, and whatever features Sony picks up from RDNA4.

Modest improvement overall, and this doesn’t sound like a $600 box. More likely this ends up at $500 and supports the disc drive add on from the slim.
Yep, seems you're spot on.

We pretty much know that the new "optional disc" PS5 will retail at $399. At that point, there won't be a $499 variant for PS5. They will likely introduce the Pro at $499 next year -- which seems very much doable.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't believe this at all lol. People have been rumoring a Switch Pro for years too. Any day now, right?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It can look really good in games that properly use it. So far that has been in Metro and Cyberpunk, lol.

Edit : Main thing i wish that you would have similar options to turn RTX off on consoles in same manner as on PCs. But that's on devs to provide.

A lot of folks would take better image quality with 60fps (or 40 to 60 with VRR) and have RTX off.
I see better results and less taxing on the hardware with nanite

I'm glad that PS5s weren't on store shelves for the first 2 years of its life causing me to hold out on getting one in anticipation of the Pro Gamer model, because if I had a regular Poor Person PS5 I would literally be punching the air right now.

Fake

People are too much focus on the hardware specs. Just remember the difference between PS4 and PS4pro.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony probably gonna have a big showcase game for the Trinity like horizon zero dawn was for ps4 pro, so launch would be:
* 2 Ghost 2 Tsushima or SSM big new ip.
*ND will probably release tlou part 2 remake.
* Bungie's Marathon
* Platformer either Astrobot or another Sackboy

In addition to of course a select handful of patched games.
This actually makes me significantly more excited.

Yes. He pretty much has a 100% track record at the moment.

If it's by Tom or Schreier, it is pretty much a guaranteed thing.

He is probably the most reliable one IMO.
Just saw that he actually retweeted the article, which makes this much more interesting than I initially thought.

8k performance mode it is, then! I guess the PS5 is going to have a card twice as fast as an RTX 4090 in it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Tedditalk

I do not own a tv that can even do HDR or above 1080P, so this graphics debate is pointless to me. I just want stable performance and big brained AI.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
O fuck off with that 8k bullshit
The RT is equal bullshittery. FFS the latest AMD cards can't do RT well. That said I could see Sony slapping together some shitty upgrade, adding bullet points for 8K and RT on the box, pricing it so that it is profitable and targeting the clowns that paid 1k for their PS5s.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
the PlayStation 5 Pro will be targeting improved and consistent FPS at 4K resolution, a new ‘performance mode’ for 8K resolution, and accelerated ray tracing

Strong marketing talk, but it’s going to be based off a preexisting AMD card.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
8k performance mode it is, then! I guess the PS5 is going to have a card twice as fax as an RTX 4090 in it 🤷‍♂️
Don't fixate on that 8K too much. I don't know why nobody ever learns. It's just marketing.

I don't know what happens to people's brains when it comes to the console spec leaks, but they somehow hold them to different standards that the DLSS loving PCs when it comes to consoles and "native res."

All of a sudden we forget about DLSS/FSR/XeSS and that the graphics cards makers do the same marketing (and we accept it) when they state "DLSS 4K." No, it's not native, it reconstructed/upscaled like every other solution. But when it comes to consoles, people's brains break ... again.

Native is a waste, and it's a regressive argument that seems to take over these threads when there are some who constantly fixate on it when it comes to console spec discussions. Comes off as disingenuous when everyone and their mother is fellating DLSS on the PC.

Last edited:

skit_data

8k performance mode it is, then! I guess the PS5 is going to have a card twice as fast as an RTX 4090 in it 🤷‍♂️
8k performance mode sounds extremely strange, possibly a mixup or misinterpretation. I can see the whole "4k, consistent framerates" being a performance mode but 8k? Not gonna happen, unless Sony has some crazy ass upscale tech they incorporated. Not out of the realm of possibility but I'll go with it being some mixup or miscommunication.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm glad that PS5s weren't on store shelves for the first 2 years of its life causing me to hold out on getting one in anticipation of the Pro Gamer model, because if I had a regular Poor Person PS5 I would literally be punching the air right now.
Yes, I got my PS5 launch day.

I am punching the air right now. How could they do this to ME!?!?!

Top Bottom