• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] New PS5 model to have New 5nm APU and No Liquid Metal

T1000 not needed.

terminator 2 dog GIF by Rover.com
What dog is that

StereoVsn

unless the slim is really smaller foot print, i advise you all to pick up the 12xx series digital edition. 6nm with liquid metal is very quiet even with 30 degree celsius ambient in ff16 quality mode.

laying it horizontally looks really Artsy in the rack
Personally I would not get DE unless it was compatible with upcoming disk drive. You have a lot more options with physical, and prices on physical media, especially at or close to release, are lower by quite a bit outside NA.

Plus PS5 is a decent physical 4K Blu-ray player. Not amazing, but decent enough for most folks.

That said, yeah, if you are Digital only, that latest DE model is a good option.

Mr.Phoenix

On 300mm wafer you can get 231 7nm PS5 chips, at 75% yield gives you 173 chips. $10,000 divided by 173 = $58
On 300mm wafer you can get 353 5nm PS5 chips, at 75% yield gives you 264 chips. $13,000 divided by 264 = $49
That's what AMD would be paying per chip. Not what Sony pays. Eg. Sony would be paying AMD around $100/7nm chip. On 5nm, would probably be paying AMD around $70-$80/chip

You have some of the dumbest and most full of shit takes all based on your brand tribalism.
I remember the amount of FUD being spread before PS5 launch, things like it was going to overheat, the fans will be too loud, it'll shutdown, chip yields will be poor because of clocks.

It was all debunked in spectacular fashion and the PS5 proved to a whisper quiet, and super stable machine. Considering that, I don't think we're in a position to be questioning the engineering team's design choices regarding the cooling solution.

Last edited:

damidu

I remember the amount of FUD being spread before PS5 launch, things like it was going to overheat, the fans will be too loud, it'll shutdown, chip yields will be poor because of clocks.

It was all debunked in spectacular fashion and the PS5 proved to a whisper quiet, and super stable machine. Considering that, I don't think we're in a position to be questioning the engineering team's design choices regarding the cooling solution.
its the pre release fud campaign orchestrated by paid ms shills, happens before each generation.
an embarrassing clown race to the bottom.

reinking

Gold Member
its the pre release fud campaign orchestrated by paid ms shills, happens before each generation.
an embarrassing clown race to the bottom.
I have one PS5 verticle and one horizontal and still waiting for one of them to explode because the liquid metal leaked/evaporated/was taken by aliens. I know console warring has always been a thing but I do not recall any console that had as much FUD spread prior to and after launch than the PS5. Cerny shook some folks.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If it just says just PS5 or PS5 Standard Console it means it the Disc model.
been like that since launch

Digital Foundry's take (on Twitter) was that the name change could be a precursor to the release of a Slim version.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Digital Foundry's take (on Twitter) was that the name change could be a precursor to the release of a Slim version.
It's been like this for years though, they're obviously unaware.

Fake

This makes me sad, but the end is quite near for physical. One of the reasons I'd never own a console again.

This is not what is happening. What is really happening is companies are giving us choise between physical and digital, but consumers still prefer physical over digital so they will try a very aggressive move to move fowards their plans to minimize physical.

Most consumers still prefer physical and lets not forget that digital had one of the most opportunities to crush physical and still lost.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is not what is happening. What is really happening is companies are giving us choise between physical and digital, but consumers still prefer physical over digital so they will try a very aggressive move to move fowards their plans to minimize physical.

Most consumers still prefer physical and lets not forget that digital had one of the most opportunities to crush physical and still lost.

On the other hand, you could say Sony is going to make it possible for owners of the discless PS5 Slim (and perhaps even the current PS5 Digital Edition) to buy an external drive if they want. I'd say this is a win for everyone unless the costs of a PS5 Slim plus external drive is going to end up more expensive than the PS5 that had the drive built-in.

Fake

On the other hand, you could say Sony is going to make it possible for owners of the discless PS5 Slim (and perhaps even the current PS5 Digital Edition) to buy an external drive if they want. I'd say this is a win for everyone unless the costs of a PS5 Slim plus external drive is going to end up more expensive than the PS5 that had the drive built-in.

There is no such a thing as 'possible for owners'. The PS5 Digital Edition don't have acess to a custom disc drive mind you. Users of the Playstation 5 Digital Edition need to buy this new 'Playstation 5 Slim' in order to have acess to their option to whatever they want about a disc drive.

Sony already did a test and the full digital version fail miserably. COVID sittuation was suppose to kill physical for good, but here we are. Base PS4 selling more than PS5 DE on Japan.

peish

Personally I would not get DE unless it was compatible with upcoming disk drive. You have a lot more options with physical, and prices on physical media, especially at or close to release, are lower by quite a bit outside NA.

Plus PS5 is a decent physical 4K Blu-ray player. Not amazing, but decent enough for most folks.

That said, yeah, if you are Digital only, that latest DE model is a good option.

yes now i cannot sell away my ff16 license :messenger_grinning_sweat:

the DE still looks better and probably cooler without that ugly BR budge.

another reason to upgrade to slim i can think off, if Sony used full hdmi2.1 chipset and does 1440p 120hz.

Ivan

Coil whine remains the only hrdware issue with the PS5, I wonder if there's a chance for that to change with slim...I hope they'll change something in that PSU. Easy fix, but if they still plan using the same psu...fuck.

Last edited:

th4tguy

Most consumers still prefer physical

What world are you living in? Digital sales have taken the lead over physical sales for a long time now.
In the states where there are never day one discounts on physical games it’s especially skewed toward digital.
Even in the UK where physical is popular, digital sales still often beat physical.

Fake

What world are you living in? Digital sales have taken the lead over physical sales for a long time now.
In the states where there are never day one discounts on physical games it’s especially skewed toward digital.
Even in the UK where physical is popular, digital sales still often beat physical.

Stop taking part of my statment out of context. Consumers are buying more regular PS5 than PS5 Digital Edition.

If consumers are buying more digital games than physical is not the case, the point is Sony is giving consumers choise to get a FULL DIGITAL PS5 and consumers are not choosing a full digital machine, instead a hybrid one.

reality:
- State of play to do a deep-dive of helldivers 2 dated for October, announcement of a new PS5 pack (they eliminate the slim and leave a "standard" one that looks the same as the current PS5 but with a removable disk camouflaged with the covers) , announcement of date and price of PS Q and headphones, new gameplays of Alan Wake 2 and games that come out in this period.

There is no PS5 Slim, only standard and digital edition.

//DEVIL//

The fact Sony is doing a 100$ sale on their current PS5 to get rid of the stock they have tells me they know the Slim is super awesome and small to the point it will sell bangers ( No one will buy the fat if the small exist )

I love my PS5 1215 . It's quiet and its amazing even during Final Fantasy 16, I didn't hear a single noise coming out of it. but I can't stress how excited to see the slim.

Just to see how cool / not cool its. exciting times. wish they announce the thing already.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Wait, what? Liquid Metal? Are things now Terminators? Does that mean we’re going to see a Sony PlayStation Terminator movie starring Segata Sanshiro? I’d pay to see that.

th4tguy

Stop taking part of my statment out of context. Consumers are buying more regular PS5 than PS5 Digital Edition.

If consumers are buying more digital games than physical is not the case, the point is Sony is giving consumers choise to get a FULL DIGITAL PS5 and consumers are not choosing a full digital machine, instead a hybrid one.
Consumers are buying what they can get their hands on and Sony is producing more of the disk model than the digital.
It will be very interesting to see how the standalone disk drive sells if they do switch and a disk less console only with disk drive attachment sold separately.

Fake

Consumers are buying what they can get their hands on and Sony is producing more of the disk model than the digital.
It will be very interesting to see how the standalone disk drive sells if they do switch and a disk less console only with disk drive attachment sold separately.

Not true. There are a cheap version of PS5 called 'Playstation 5 Digital Edition'. People like to say that digital sales are higher than physical, but somehow consumers buy more the regular PS5 than the PS5 DE.

They had the option for cheap, but they refuse to open hand of the disc drive. You can compare digital software as many as you like, but the regular PS5 is indeed selling more than PS5 DE.

A digital only Slim would be a horrible monkey paw even though I get it, but if that's the case I may as well buy the original model.

b92oC1n.gif

Though if the add-on rumors are true I guess that's fine considering all the PS2's disc drives that died on me.
It is 99.99% certain that the slim model will be digital-only with a disc add-on. Sony will launch the slim at 399 and the slim +disc drive bundle for 499. It probably makes sense to just buy the current disc model at the current sale prices, if you really want a PS5 with disc drive.

No Liquid Metal sounds like an improvement for anyone that's not Hideo Kojima.

EDIT: Late.

But I really don't like the liquid metal idea on an equipment that'll sit on a shelf for years. It's a potential time bomb.
I imagine that's shifting quite a bit since DE's are actually out there in the wild.

But yeah, Sony didn't produce as many for a while, likely because it was a loss leader. I imagine by now, it's not.
At less 50$ probably still is, I don't imagine the drive costs more than $10.

It's just probably less of a factor.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Do you even know what pointless means?
Last I checked the goal of slim consoles is to reduce the size and price of a console. You really think they would want the slim version to be the same price as the current digital only PS5 console that nobody really wants compared to the disc version in the first place?

Last I checked the goal of slim consoles is to reduce the size and price of a console. You really think they would want the slim version to be the same price as the current digital only PS5 console that nobody really wants compared to the disc version in the first place?
The goal is to streamline production and boost profit. The reason that disc version sells is because the discless version is supply constrained. With this move Sony can offer discs to whoever needs them, while also reducing the BoM and not changing the price. Why the heck would a console that easily outpaces the X in some titles need to complete with the S on price is a mystery to me? Regardless, if you really need discs, get the current model, which is discounted in most countries as of now. I bought a purple dualsense to take advantage of the sale prices and I do not even have a PS5.

Top Bottom